Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

TFRazorsaw posted:

does anyone know a guide for how to play/learn MNK that assumes you're level 70? A friend of mine is 52 and he could use some help.

The basic guide to playing MNK is
1 2 3
^1 ^2 ^3
1 2 ^3
^1 ^2 3
1 2 ^3
^1 ^2 ^3
repeat

1 2 3 is you the rear combo
^1 ^2 ^3 is the flank combo
It is basically just alternating the combos but you only do demolish every 3rd combo.

Always do positionals

Press your other buttons on cooldown.
That'll take you to 70 and beyond then you can start worrying more about openers and optimizing the rotation if you do raid tier stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Does this number strike anyone else as unusually low?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
So I've been doing a playthrough of all the mainline FF games and I've been hearing a lot of people tell me that the 14's story holds up well to the series overall.
I plan on giving it a try.

If I am playing it essentially like a single player game most of the time and mostly for the story is there a certain class or build that'll make it easier for me? I'm not terribly interested in min/maxing, loot grind, or other MMOy type stuff in general.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Not if it means 1800 characters moving to instance servers a minute specifically.

MSQ stuff: The twist at the end is fuckin DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMB

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

macnbc posted:

So I've been doing a playthrough of all the mainline FF games and I've been hearing a lot of people tell me that the 14's story holds up well to the series overall.

If I am playing it essentially like a single player game most of the time and mostly for the story is there a certain class or build that'll make it easier for me? I'm not terribly interested in min/maxing, loot grind, or other MMOy type stuff in general.

Starting the game as a tank (Gladiator / Marauder) or healer (Conjurer) will get you through the game fastest, as they hardly ever have to wait on dungeon queue times. On the other hand, playing as a damage dealer is 900% more anime and therefore more heroic.

Seriously though, it's an MMO. If you're not interested in MMO gameplay, you probably won't have a grand old time.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The story gets pretty good around 300 hours in.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

MSQ stuff: The twist at the end is fuckin DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMB

I haven't touched MSQ yet, but I saw a picture.

I didn't think I could dislike anything more than amnesiac Yotsuyu, but this might take the cake. I get what they're probably going for, what with Yotsuyu and Fordola having shades of grey to show they're not fully bad people, but come on.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Not at all. That was 1800 people per minute, per DC.

If it kept up like that for an hour, it was 108000 people per hour over six data centers. 650,000 sweaty nerds is about what I'd expect in terms of people slamming into the first hour or two of patch day, especially when most of NA was still asleep and it was a weekday in Japan.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

macnbc posted:

Just as a heads up, you won't be able to avoid group content entirely - the game forces you to do dungeons to progress the story, but you'll easily get through the MSQ without worrying about min-maxy stuff.

I don't know if I have any specific class suggestions, but a dps may be a better choice since you can kinda just follow everyone else in dungeons, you will have to wait longer in queues then a tank or healer though.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Be warned that even if you just want to do the main story, you’re looking at a big time investment. After you clear the main 2.0 story quest (which requires you to grind to level 50), there’s a big chunk of quests between then and the first expansion that are going to feel like filler, because they are, because you’re binging 5 major content patches’ worth of game at once.

You also can’t really fully ignore the multiplayer components of this. Some group dungeons and 8-man boss fights are mandatory to progress the plot, and dungeon grinding/daily bonuses are the quickest way to level, so you’re going to have to group up. There’s a dungeon finder you can solo queue for and get matched up with randoms, so you’re ok as a single person, but don’t expect a “single player” experience from this; it’s an MMO through and through.

It’s very good though

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

macnbc posted:

FF14 is relatively single-player friendly, but you do have to go through a number of 4-player dungeons and trials (boss fights) to get through the story. This is usually not too difficult, you just use the Duty Finder which matches you up with three random players who will help you to clear the dungeon. Or you can join a Free Company (guild) and if people there are cool they will help you clear the required dungeons.

The jobs are broken down into Tanks, Healers, and DPS. As Rainuwastaken says, you'll queue for dungeons MUCH faster as a Tank or Healer, but note that the Tank is the de facto leader of the group, so if you're new to MMO's that might not be where you want to start out. Being a tank generally means you have to have an idea of where to go in the dungeon since everyone's following you. If you go with a Healer or DPS, you can just follow the tank around for the whole dungeon. If you're the healer, your job is mainly to keep the tank alive, and if you're a DPS, your job is to attack whatever the tank attacks. The game has a very nice tutorial on all of this called "Hall of the Novice" which you can try out on the free trial.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Oxyclean posted:

Just as a heads up, you won't be able to avoid group content entirely - the game forces you to do dungeons to progress the story, but you'll easily get through the MSQ without worrying about min-maxy stuff.

Yeah, I'm OK with some group content stuff.. like when I played SWTOR a couple years back I loved the flashpoints in that.. but I more meant I'm not going to be repeatedly doing raids or similar stuff that isn't mandatory for level/story progression.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

macnbc posted:

Conjurer heals and Gladiator/Marauder tanks for faster party dungeon queues.

That said, Arcanist is wherw it's at. If you feel like looking at it as a single player game, Arcanist has the most diverse and versatile solo playstyle. You do have to deal with DPS queues, but there's another bonus: at level 30 you can freely choose between being a DPS or a healer so after the first five party instances if you get impatient you can be a Scholar and skip the line.

That said, the class that will be easiest for you is the one that you enjoy the most. No more and no less. There is no power level/balance difference significant enough to overcome "I like playing this".

There are crazy people who stay up and grind on patch day to be the first to clear top line content in the whole world and try to eke out every advantage possible. One of them for the previous patch's super hard content, when asked why they were using Dark Knight, said something like "I like playing it".

So just play whatever sounds like a cool FF job to play.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

macnbc posted:

but I more meant I'm not going to be repeatedly doing raids or similar stuff that isn't mandatory for level/story progression.

But the Raids are some of the best parts. :(

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

But the Raids are some of the best parts. :(

...a train!?

God I want to hear that voiced

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It's been a while since Cid was voiced, huh?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

MSQ: The dumb twist wasn't even the dumbest twist goddamn

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Trasson posted:

That said, the class that will be easiest for you is the one that you enjoy the most. No more and no less. There is no power level/balance difference significant enough to overcome "I like playing this".

RDM is my absolute favourite class and I'm not bothered at all that it's a bit on the simple or weaker side. I love the concept of RDM on paper and I was actually kind of worried after the announcement that it might not be as good or as fun as I built it up in my head - I was thrilled how quickly I picked it up and started having fun with it. It's just a shame it can't be played from level 1.

I've been unsubbed since before 4.1 - reading up on 4.2 has me debating about re-upping, and thinking about my RDM again is only making me want to play even more.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

It's just a shame it can't be played from level 1.

Having played PotD 1 - 50 as Red Mage, I am glad you can't. You only have Riposte until Level 5, IIRC.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

lol so I blindly decided today would be a good day to sign back in finally and play. Turns out I really picked the right day at random.

Also going over the 4.1 & 4.2 notes it seems like they're getting a lot more done than they used to?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Having played PotD 1 - 50 as Red Mage, I am glad you can't. You only have Riposte until Level 5, IIRC.

You're probably right, you don't really get the nice utility stuff till pretty late. I've partially purged the potd grind from my head since I rushed it to 60 in the first days of SB.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

I am an avenger!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I love the big dumb twists of my big dumb anime games.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

The claw is the one true racial identity mount for all miqo'te.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

macnbc posted:

Yeah, I'm OK with some group content stuff.. like when I played SWTOR a couple years back I loved the flashpoints in that.. but I more meant I'm not going to be repeatedly doing raids or similar stuff that isn't mandatory for level/story progression.

You should be good then. SWTOR is also my other MMO and the group stuff here is better than in that, and easier to get into as a single person.

As for classes, just do whatever sounds cool, the game’s designed for you to be able to play it with whatever. I’d caution that archer and black mage are a little squishy and might cause issues in some solo instances, but even then it’s nbd. The game has a mechanic where if you die enough times, you get a buff so you can clear the instance and move on.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Mazed posted:

The claw is the one true racial identity mount for all miqo'te.

Holy poo poo you're right. It's just like a kitten being carried.

E: all the races look like that in the claw, but with Miqo'te it fits.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

SwissArmyDruid posted:

It's actually pretty drat huge compared to what it was before Stormblood's launch week fiasco.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I haven't touched MSQ yet, but I saw a picture.

I didn't think I could dislike anything more than amnesiac Yotsuyu, but this might take the cake. I get what they're probably going for, what with Yotsuyu and Fordola having shades of grey to show they're not fully bad people, but come on.

MSQ spoilers:
Seems pretty obvious to me that it's Elidibus taking his corpse for a ride, which I think is an interesting complication, personally?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I have a very important question: Can you suplex the Phantom Train?

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Fractal Continuum Hard spoilers:

My DF party seemed to all be well geared raidy types, and I'm no slouch equipment-wise myself, so we steamrolled some of the stuff in the dungeon. Notably we killed The Ultima Warrior (which must be a pro wrestling joke, surely) before he could use any of Zurvan's powers. Then I realised that... we'd skipped Soar.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

I think I say this every patch, but I hate all of you that are playing while I'm stuck at work. At least the garlean claw mount is throwing the horns constantly \m/

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Gonna really appreciate that new glamour system once I find the time to resubscribe. Even with the expanded inventory in Stormblood I was running out of space for all my cosmetic poo poo and spending way too much time shuffling stuff around between my retainers.

Saint Freak posted:

The story gets pretty good around 300 hours in.
Wrong, Heavensword only takes like 100 to reach

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
There is good story and lore to be found in the ARR content.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

SonicRulez posted:

There is good story and lore to be found in the ARR content.

Augus posted:

Wrong, Heavensword only takes like 100 to reach

Gonna take you 200 hours now just to queue for Prae/Castrum though.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

So I buy 999 clear prisms and 1998 undyed velveteen with the plans to AFK for the rest of the day while quick crafting. Only to learn that buying, and more importantly quick crafting, is still limited to 99 at a time.

Worst patch, curse you yoship.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

More appropriate for stormblood imo

And yeah there’s absolutely good stuff in ARR, it just has the pacing of a DBZ rerun

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Everything about the game has bad pacing, honestly.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I'm a huge nerd for world building so I enjoyed every second of even ARR. I know I'm in the minority on that one though.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

ARR's pacing is off, but if you don't appreciate the lead-in quests for like every primal past Off it for the satirical pisstake that they are, I feel bad for ya.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Saint Freak posted:

Gonna take you 200 hours now just to queue for Prae/Castrum though.

FWIW, most people are saying that MSQ Roulette gives half a level, if not more, even in the mid-60s, and the cutscenes auto-advance so you don't have to worry about AFKers or trolls locking the instance down. So it might still be worthwhile; fire up Netflix or something on a second monitor while Gaius YAAAARGHs at the walls.

Also, the new sweater (the one with the scarf doesn't seem to actually exist yet) makes for an excellent Basic Blue Girl glamour.