Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

BrianBoitano posted:

Hey thread what are your most fun to play as and play against modern decks? Any play style is fine.

I'm just getting back into this game after more than a year, since I have a new coworker and thus someone to play with without driving all over. She only plays tryhard Modern, and all my decks are (now old) Standard or hella casual. We have played ~10 games and I have lost every one. I want to stand a bit of a chance.

She's fine with me proxying cards, which is good since I don't want to spend $100s on land sets and if I didn't she'd have a huge advantage. That said, I don't want to proxy a $2000 deck and make it unfair the other direction.

oryx posted:

I've slowly built out some modern decks to play with family members. Right now I've got:

Grixis Death's Shadow
Eldrazi Tron
Gifts Storm (which I am not allowed to play anymore :-( )
Merfolk
Coco Combo
Death/Taxes

What would you guys build towards next?

Caveats:
- I've got most staples starting from Scars of Mirrodin, and can spend around 250 dollars.
- Currently leaning towards Reanimator (cheaper) or some variant of U/W Control (I don't have any collonades).
- Some people don't love side boarding.

My suggestion to both of you is Mono green stompy. Cheap, fun, no loving about with expensive lands. It does feel a bit bad in the current meta, but it's still great (and the most fun type of deck for me to play -- I'm definitely a "turn dudes sideways" kind of player). My current list is here (I haven't priced it up recently, but I reckon maybe $100):

Mono-G Stompy
4 Dryad Militant
4 Experiment One
2 Kessig Prowler (these might go back to being 2 Kalonian Tusker, as I'm feeling low on two-drops sometimes)
4 Avatar of the Resolute
4 Strangleroot Geist
2 Scavenging Ooze
1 Ghalta, Primal Hunger
2 Leatherback Baloth
2 Rhonas the Indomitable

4 Aspect of Hydra
4 Vines of Vastwood
3 Dismember
3 Rancor

17 Forest
2 Hashep Oasis
2 Treetop Village

Sideboard:
1 Choke
1 Eyes of the Wisent
2 Feed the Clan
1 Obstinate Baloth
1 Pulse of Murasa
2 Grafdigger's Cage
2 Heroic Intervention
2 Unravel the Aether
1 Oxidize
1 Pithing Needle
1 Torpor Orb

Death of Rats fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Cheapish fun decks i have:

Soul Sisters
Blue living end
RW prison moon

Isn't RW Prison like a grand right now? Any deck running Chalice is stretching the meaning of "cheapish", to say nothing of some of the other cards in that deck. Unless you're not running Chalice, I thought the deck packed a few.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

C-Euro posted:

Isn't RW Prison like a grand right now? Any deck running Chalice is stretching the meaning of "cheapish", to say nothing of some of the other cards in that deck. Unless you're not running Chalice, I thought the deck packed a few.

4 chalice, 4 bridge, usually at least 2 Chandra ToD, so that alone jumps the price way up. Add in the arid mesas, rugged prairies, the 4 blood moons, and the playset of nahiri + Emmy, it adds up fast. I would have never built the deck if I hadn't already had a playset of chalices from when they were only $20.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

BrianBoitano posted:

Hey thread what are your most fun to play as and play against modern decks? Any play style is fine.

To answer this question, decks I enjoy playing:

Storm
Elves
Ponza
Slivers

decks that i think lead to interesting, fun matchups:
any of the death's shadow variants with blue in them
UWR tempo
bant spirits
mardu pyromancer
mono u tron

your question seems to be, however, "what is a cool deck I can play against my friend who has focused, but not particularly competitive, modern decks." I'll echo Death of Rats and say that Mono G Stompy is a good option to just straight up buy. I would agree with the suggestion they made and get the kessig prowlers out of there for Kalonian Tuskers. I would also never play fewer than four Rancors. Your huge idiots really put people in a tough spot when they can't chump with lingering souls tokens forever

I'd also make another recommendation. This following list has kind of an expensive manabase, but if you're proxying that shouldn't be an issue. The whole deck is in the ~$300 range so even with the fetchlands you aren't scumbagging your friend too much here. The deck is called RUG Pongify aggro, or, if I can get the name to stick, Monkey Madness:

//creatures
1 Dryad Arbor
4 Cloudfin Raptor
4 Experiment One
4 Young Wolf
4 Narnam Renegade
4 Strangleroot Geist
3 Avatar of the Resolute

//spells
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Pongify
4 Rapid Hybridization
2 Spell Pierce
2 Vapor Snag
2 Chart a Course

//lands
1 Forest
2 Stomping Ground
3 Botanical Sanctum
2 Breeding Pool
2 Misty Rainforest
4 Windswept Heath
4 Wooded Foothills

//sideboard
1 Abrade
3 Ancient Grudge
3 Ceremonious Rejection
2 Dispel
3 Life Goes On
1 Magma Spray
2 Unified Will

I copied this list from mtggoldfish, so I'd probably make some changes to this list if i had time to think about it. Unified Will in particular is a card that belongs in the trash can. Anyway, the joke here is that you use the interaction of Pongify/Rapid Hybridization with your Undying creatures (Geist and Young Wolf) to make a pretty large army or pretty large idiots that kill your opponent quickly. the additional synergy is with your two evolve creatures. So, the nut opening goes like this: Turn 1, play a cloudfin raptor (or experiment one, but cloudfin raptor is best). Turn two, play a young wolf, evolve your cloudfin raptor. Pongify the young wolf. Young wolf undying happens, you get a 2/2, cloudfin raptor evolves. Then the 3/3 from pongify comes into play (I'm simplifying exactly when all this goes on the stack, but this is the general idea), evolving cloudfin raptor again. Next turn play an Avatar of the Resolute, which enters play as a 5/4, swing for millions. Any other draw you have to play real magic and have some fun lines available to you with your spells

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 26, 2018

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

oryx posted:

Grixis Death's Shadow
Eldrazi Tron
Gifts Storm (which I am not allowed to play anymore :-( )
Merfolk
Coco Combo
Death/Taxes

AkumaHokoru posted:

Decks that actually work-
Living end classic (no death's shadow missing lands and fulminator mages)
Abzan Evolution (missing lands)
WRG Hardened Allies and friend (The friend is Drana)

Wonky fun stuff

Sword Cats (only 2 of the 4 good swords and the cheap unbreakable equips)
Primal UG zendi Elves (joraga warcaller and friends with specual guest master biomancer)

Almost good.

RG werewolves (missing lands? might actually be viable cause of sometimes swinging for 20)

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Cheapish fun decks i have:

Soul Sisters
Blue living end
RW prison moon

Death of Rats posted:

My suggestion to both of you is Mono green stompy.

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

To answer this question, decks I enjoy playing:

Storm
Elves
Ponza
Slivers

decks that i think lead to interesting, fun matchups:
any of the death's shadow variants with blue in them
UWR tempo
bant spirits
mardu pyromancer
mono u tron

Monkey Madness

I really appreciate the responses! I've got a lot to investigate when I have time. Just looking at the cool cards, I can tell I'll like Modern. To think that I had like 15 copies of AEther Vial, a handful of fetch lands, and other fun cards and I gave them away right before WTC made a good format for them :negative:

swing for millions
This made me feel better, thanks

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

BrianBoitano posted:

To think that I had like 15 copies of AEther Vial, a handful of fetch lands, and other fun cards and I gave them away right before WTC made a good format for them :negative:

Mm, legacy my dude!

oryx
Nov 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks for all the advice guys. I think I have most of the cards for Green Stompy already. Going to google through all these decks.

Also a little confused on Ponza decks. Some lists I've seen look like some RG midrange/ramp deck, others look like they're trying to exploit land destruction. Which is it?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

the original ponza decks featured land destruction pretty prominently, so anything that doesn't is just GR ramp

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Someone with a better grip of deck terminology could make the case that Ponza is a midrange deck, even with the land destruction aspect. I feel like I've heard it argued before.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Ponza started out as an LD deck in the 90s and the original Modern Ponza deck had a decent LD component. Most likely the midrange decks evolved out of the LD deck, kind of like how Modern Affinity contains 0 cards with Affinity for Artifacts

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Full time Ponza player, part time lover. The key to Modern Ponza is that on average your opponent's deck will be super soft to Blood Moon, if you land T2 Moon on the play you've effectively locked them out of casting their spells. This achieves the endstate of LD with a much greater degree of efficiency.
Game 2 is where things get interesting as unless they're Tron or Bant Eldrazi or another deck that simply cannot beat a resolved Moon you get more mileage out of Blood Moon by siding it out and making your opponent play around it anyways.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Full time Ponza player, part time lover. The key to Modern Ponza is that on average your opponent's deck will be super soft to Blood Moon, if you land T2 Moon on the play you've effectively locked them out of casting their spells. This achieves the endstate of LD with a much greater degree of efficiency.
Game 2 is where things get interesting as unless they're Tron or Bant Eldrazi or another deck that simply cannot beat a resolved Moon you get more mileage out of Blood Moon by siding it out and making your opponent play around it anyways.

I am about to have Ponza finished and this is good to know, thanks.

My immediate goal with the deck is to resolve my singleton Plow Under and see the look on my opponent's face when it happens.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

C-Euro posted:

I am about to have Ponza finished and this is good to know, thanks.

My immediate goal with the deck is to resolve my singleton Plow Under and see the look on my opponent's face when it happens.

That card would be loving amazing as an instant :lol:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Walked posted:

That card would be loving amazing as an instant :lol:

I don't think the effect is that good in a world of fetchlands but back when it was first printed you were denying them two draw steps, which was rough. Maybe it's OK if you can ramp into it.

Speaking of Ponza I've seen a few lists with Trinisphere in the board. Is that as good as I think it is in a mana-denial deck?

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

C-Euro posted:

I don't think the effect is that good in a world of fetchlands but back when it was first printed you were denying them two draw steps, which was rough. Maybe it's OK if you can ramp into it.

Speaking of Ponza I've seen a few lists with Trinisphere in the board. Is that as good as I think it is in a mana-denial deck?

It's just good against Storm.

My friend plays a Monogreen devotion/ramp deck that's similar. This past week he turn 2 Primal Commanded his opponent's land, searched up Eternal Witness. Two turns later he resolved Plow Under (making a Garruk beast on the other turn). That is how you end a game early.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
So I played in a modern open today. Did alright, had THE GREATEST GAME EVER THOUGH, which is why I am posting the tournament report

Bant spirits tournament report for the open:

R1 grixis ds win 2-0
Lose the die roll

G1 my opponent T1 makes me discard kira, but I have flyers and he doesn’t so the race is on opponent has an early angler and puts me at seven, then taps out for a second angler which lets me drop the gavony township I’ve been holding all game and get in for exactsies

G2: my hand is 2 land, wanderer, triple selfless spirit and my opponent has an anger of the gods and very little else

R2 dimir mill lose 1-2
Win the die roll

G1 I don’t respect the Herron crab. And it doesn’t work out for me

G2 I have a T2 geist and the game is over fast

G3 I knock my opponent to 3 he crypt incursions, I spell queller it, he just has the second crypt incursion in hand and gains 30. I swing him down to 12 but his jace phantasm is on defense and I get milled out.

R3 naya burn win 2-0
Win die roll

Both games I have coco into exactsies lethal while at 4 life

R4 abzan vizier lose 1-2
Lose die roll

G1: super Grindy, I get stuck on two and opponent doesn’t need the combo to win

G2: t2 geist baby!

G3: I keep a hand that is incredible as long as my opponent doesn’t have the T3 combo. Opponent has the T3 combo

R5 scapeshift won 2-1
Win the die roll

G1: I have a T2 geist and I spell queller my opponents mwonvuli acid moss and we go to G2

G2: my opponent slams a T2 prismatic omen and I have no counter for the scapeshift when he gets to 6 land whoops

G3: SPICE ALERT. I start applying a clock and my opponent removes threats. I drop a T4 worship and my opponent removes creatures and eventually I drop him to 10 life. My board is worship and noble hierarch. Opponent scapeshifts and stacks triggers so that noble will eat two and then the rest go to the dome. After targeting I CoCo and got rattlechains + selfless spirit. Opponent passes turn, so I swing opponent to 6 and pass. Opponent untaps and throws down a second scapeshift targeting each creature once and two at my dome. So I flash in droskol captain. loving absolutely stole that game.

R6 mardu control win 2-0
Lose die roll

G1: all the removal in the world doesn’t matter when I hit 3 CoCo’s after my opponent thoughtseizes my first coco

G2: once again I slam a T4 worship. But this time it has a T3 geist backing it up.

R7 jund vengevine win 2-0
Lose die roll

G1: opponent returns triple vegevine and swings for 12 hasty damage, putting me at 3. Unfortunately I have a spirit to pump the 3x wanderer for exactly lethal on the crack back.

G2: eidolon of rhetoric from the side puts in insane work.

R8 affinity win 2-1
Win die roll

G1: my hand contains lots of interaction and my opponent makes a huge misplay where he galvanic blasts my spell queller when he doesn’t have metalcraft. Opponenttries to do backsies so I judge call. This is relevant.

G2 opponent has double plating and I need a flying creature to stay in the game. So I draw geist :v:

G3: I see 5/7 sideboard cards with T2 kataki into T3 stony silence. I regret nothing.

Ended up 20th out of 170 people, which means I cashed!

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I bought a playset of Stoneforge Mystic and Preordain. Wizards now has my blessing to unban them.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Proliferate works on loyalty counters, right? I want a fun proliferate deck. Maybe Gilder Bairn too :w00t:

e: nvm, see below

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 29, 2018

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

BrianBoitano posted:

Proliferate works on loyalty counters, right? I want a fun proliferate deck. Maybe Gilder Bairn too :woot:

It does indeed.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Thanks! Now, should I try for combo finishers or just value cards with +1/+1 or loyalty counters?

Also, http://mtg.wikia.com/wiki/How_to_use_a_Planeswalker says:

quote:

Also, if two Planeswalkers with the same sub-type are on the battlefield, both go into the graveyard from play. For example, if your opponent had Chandra, the Firebrand out and you cast Chandra Nalaar both would be put into the graveyard, as the have the same subtype, Chandra. It's not the preferred method, but it is a way to get rid of opposing Planeswalkers. This rule has been modified at the start of the Magic 2014 core set release.

That's wrong/old info, right? https://magic.wizards.com/en/game-info/planeswalker-cards states that all planeswalkers are legendary, even if they don't state such, and that playing two Planeswalkers - Chandra is OK as long as they have different names. Which is correct?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

BrianBoitano posted:

Thanks! Now, should I try for combo finishers or just value cards with +1/+1 or loyalty counters?

Also, http://mtg.wikia.com/wiki/How_to_use_a_Planeswalker says:

That's wrong/old info, right? https://magic.wizards.com/en/game-info/planeswalker-cards states that all planeswalkers are legendary, even if they don't state such, and that playing two Planeswalkers - Chandra is OK as long as they have different names. Which is correct?

That information is old and wrong, you can have two different Lilly's on the battlefield. (I have been on the receiving end of LotV and the last hope being on the board at the same time)

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
It would only cost me about $85 to get the last two goblin guides and handful of commons I need to just have Legacy Burn (lava spikes are oddly pricy). I don't know if it's really worth it to have access to the deck, but I guess if I ever do get a chance to play a legacy event, it keeps me from being unable to play because I won't spend the dough on volcanics/ gives me another option besides old builds of Solidarity or All Spells.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Legacy Burn is pretty bad, I believe. Lava Spike is pricey because Modern Burn is good

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Elyv posted:

Legacy Burn is pretty bad, I believe. Lava Spike is pricey because Modern Burn is good

Yeah but I want to play a mono red legacy deck that runs sandwurm convergence in the sideboard

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Elyv posted:

Burn is never "bad" in Legacy. It will always win games. It's just not always great.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Burn is super underplayed in a world of 9 color trash and bad Miracles decks and little else. If the format wasn't like 15% Chalice (or 50% at my store) I'd say it might even be a good choice.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Mezzanon posted:

Yeah but I want to play a mono red legacy deck that runs sandwurm convergence in the sideboard

This but unironically. Also what happened to your 42 Swans report from last weekend?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

This but unironically. Also what happened to your 42 Swans report from last weekend?

I was not being ironic about that sandwurm convergence

Oh yeah! Ended up going 3-2 with swans, after facing 3 terrible matchups.

42 land swans tournament report!

R1: vs a teammate on Ad Nauseum (bad matchup for me)
Win 2-1
Lose Die Roll

G1: I have a molten vortex but not a lot of other action. Opponent goes off and i ping my swans with my last mana (huge misplay) which allows my opponent to go for the lab man win. (pinging the lab man means that he has to go for the lightning storm win, and I think I have more lands in hand for the storm)

G2: Opponent starts with a leyline in play, and then gets the phyrexian unlife/Solemnity lock but doesn't have a quick combo so I win on T5 with lab man.

G3: an emotional ROLLERCOASTER of a game. Opponent drops a phyrexian unlife and I start with swans beats. Opponent passes turn to me and on my upkeep attempts to cast a Ad Nauseum, so I spell pierce, he cracks his lotus and pays, I spell pierce again, he uses his remaining mana and exiles a simian spirit guide to pay, so I cast my sideboard Glorious End, and end the turn. Opponent untaps, and passes, and then on my upkeep casts an angels grace. i play a seismic assault and start comboing off while my opponent just goes "why are you doing this? You can't win the game, and I can't lose the game this turn and you lose on your upkeep. You have no line, what are you trying to accomplish?" so I draw cards, put my opponent to one, and then in my second main phase I cast Days Undoing and end the turn. My opponent goes "Oh, I guess that ends the turn before your end step doesn't it?" we shuffle up, draw seven new cards, and my opponent shows me 3 leyline, 3 pact of negation, and a land, and scoops it up.

R2: vs a teammate on Jeskai Control (another terrible matchup for me)
Lose 1-2
win die roll

G1: My opponent counters everything I have and wins with collonade beats.

G2: I go T4 seismic assault with spell pierce backup, T5 swans with spell pierce backup, combo out.

G3: A long slog of a match where I resolve two swans and try to get there with swans beats, my opponent paths one and eventually gets me with 1/1 warrior tokens and a collonade.

R3: vs mono-white humans
Win 2-1
lose die roll

G1: I keep a hand of 2 swans, 3 temple, 2 other land and never see a non-land card. My opponent gets a 5/4 soldier of the pantheon which is good against multicolor creatures.

G2: I win with Sphynx's Tutelage

G3: I cast anger of the gods with 2x swans out. Wipe your board draw 6 is good.

R4: vs Lantern Control (pretty much unwinnably bad)

G1: Opponent hits pithing needle naming both win cons followed by a bridge

G2: starts with a leyline in play and then sends my lab man to the yard.

R5: vs classic jund
Win 2-0
Win die roll

G1: I keep a hand of 2x serum visions 1x treasure hunt 4 land. I go T1 visions and scry land to top with seismic assault second from top. opponent goes shock thoughtseize and takes the treasure hunt. I land the T3 seismic assault and then top the swans and that's G1

G2: opponent thoughtseizes me on his T3 and sees 2x seismic assault, 1x swans, 1x tutelage, days undoing, and 2 land. Opponent takes the tutelage, so I play a seismic assault and pass, next turn he plays another thoughtseize and takes the swans. so I throw lands at his head for a few turns and put him to 15. Then I days undoing and we both draw a fresh 7. Opponent goes shock land (13 life), thoughtseize (11 life) and sees a hand that is Swans and 6x land. Whoops.

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 30, 2018

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
A part of me says "why not?" in a world where I want the goblin guides anyway so that I'm fully 7-8 expensive lands away from any reasonable 75 of UR delver, a deck I started putting together simply because I already had the blue cards, half the red ones, and four wastelands. At that point Dig Through Time had just gotten banned, and Solidarity was becoming an exercise in frustration. On the other hand, I could not spend the $85 and put it aside to start in on maybe getting those volcanics (or tarns at least).

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Mezzanon posted:

I was not being ironic about that sandwurm convergence

Oh yeah! Ended up going 3-2 with swans, after facing 3 terrible matchups.

42 land swans tournament report!

1. What Legacy deck are you referring to because I want Sandwurm Convergence to be playable somewhere.

2. Same Swans list as last time, or have you tweaked it?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

C-Euro posted:

1. What Legacy deck are you referring to because I want Sandwurm Convergence to be playable somewhere.

Rector Fit

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Mezzanon posted:

G3: an emotional ROLLERCOASTER of a game. Opponent drops a phyrexian unlife and I start with swans beats. Eventually I find a seismic assault. Opponent passes turn to me and on my upkeep attempts to cast a Ad Nauseum, so I spell pierce, he cracks his lotus and pays, I spell pierce again, he uses his remaining mana and exiles a simian spirit guide to pay, so I cast my sideboard Glorious End, and end the turn. Opponent untaps, and passes, and then on my upkeep casts an angels grace. i play a seismic assault and start comboing off while my opponent just goes "why are you doing this? You can't win the game, and I can't lose the game this turn and you lose on your upkeep. You have no line, what are you trying to accomplish?" so I draw cards, put my opponent to one, and then in my second main phase I cast Days Undoing and end the turn. My opponent goes "Oh, I guess that ends the turn before your end step doesn't it?" we shuffle up, draw seven new cards, and my opponent shows me 3 leyline, 3 pact of negation, and a land, and scoops it up.

:vince::perfect:

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

2. Same Swans list as last time, or have you tweaked it?

This legacy burn list from the CFB Legacy 4K was playing it. Assumedly for the sneak and show matchup. https://mtgtop8.com/event?e=18312&d=313618&f=LE

And yeah mostly the same swans list except I cut a guildgate and 2x of the lifegain lands for 3x Spirebluff Canal

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

yeah the card price of progress specifically is well positioned at the moment. i don't think it really matters which PoP deck you play since they're all pretty medium, but my preference is to have access to Force of Wills and cantrips.

that sandwurm convergence is hilarious. I know burn used to run stuff like Angel of Despair and then that one that came out in RTR block that also exiled something on the way out. this just seems way better

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Ashen Rider. Which is in my sideboard for the same reason.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Does anyone still play the Omniscience thing in their S&T decks, because Convergence seems better if they don't and worse if they do

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

yeah the card price of progress specifically is well positioned at the moment. i don't think it really matters which PoP deck you play since they're all pretty medium, but my preference is to have access to Force of Wills and cantrips.

that sandwurm convergence is hilarious. I know burn used to run stuff like Angel of Despair and then that one that came out in RTR block that also exiled something on the way out. this just seems way better

Goblins used to run Confusion in the Ranks

You either get their Omniscience or their Emrakul and it owns

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

I don't think Omni decks play Release the Ants anymore, does it? It's just there to cast Emrakul.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

I don't think Omni decks play Release the Ants anymore, does it? It's just there to cast Emrakul.

yeah no one plays "Omniscience" decks anymore; they play Sneak and Show with some number of Omniscience in them. Basically ever since Dig Through Time happened people stopped messing around with cool win conditions and just slam an emrakul into play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

yeah no one plays "Omniscience" decks anymore; they play Sneak and Show with some number of Omniscience in them. Basically ever since Dig Through Time happened people stopped messing around with cool win conditions and just slam an emrakul into play

Yeah this is what I was going to post but I didn't want to type all that on my phone.