Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I'll give Equilibrium a go. It'll likely conflicted with Mav's Marvelous [X] mods though, right? Would a merged patch be able to sort that sort of poo poo out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
I've never messed with merged mods but since equilibrium is mostly just some number tweaks I think you can just put the mavs lower on the load list so they take precedent in the case of conflicts and it should be fine.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Clever Spambot posted:

Yeah pipe weapons and institute weapons being the designated bad guns your enemies use is kind of lame (it makes sense with pipe weapons realistically but its a huge shame that the most moddable guns in the game are near useless).

OTOH modding the Institute weapons to be good tends to result in abrupt and spectacular death every time you fight Synths.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

The paint selections for Power Armor is tremendously disappointing. I'm pretty sure there's power armor paints in the CC, right? Not that I plan to buy any but I do have 100 credits I will probably never use.

Alternatively, what's everyone's favorite paint job mod?

khy fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jan 29, 2018

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I have vague recollections of a pretty cool mod with paint schemes based of American ww2 planes? That was pretty rad if anyone knows what that was.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
So a little while ago someone mentioned they were putting together a guide to all the various features in Horizon. Is there a link to that? I've figured out the basics but there's a lot of stuff in there where I'm just not sure what it's for.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

The Cheshire Cat posted:

So a little while ago someone mentioned they were putting together a guide to all the various features in Horizon. Is there a link to that? I've figured out the basics but there's a lot of stuff in there where I'm just not sure what it's for.

The modder wrote up a ton of articles. They're helpful!

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/17374?tab=articles

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I have vague recollections of a pretty cool mod with paint schemes based of American ww2 planes? That was pretty rad if anyone knows what that was.

I did find this in a recent search...

https://rd.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/5012/

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Pipe weapons are at least halfway decent if you are specialized for full auto. For whatever reason, they have an insanely high rate of fire with automatic receivers. They're still inferior to, say, an assault rifle, but they make a good option for when you don't want to waste the good stuff.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Backhand posted:

Pipe weapons are at least halfway decent if you are specialized for full auto. For whatever reason, they have an insanely high rate of fire with automatic receivers. They're still inferior to, say, an assault rifle, but they make a good option for when you don't want to waste the good stuff.

Yeah, but in horizon you cook down the .38 to make more .308 or .44 mag.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Seashell Salesman posted:

Sometimes instead of fighting people at mid-long ranges with hard cover in between, they fight people at short ranges without any hard cover in between.

They also experimented with miniaturized explosive rounds which could be fired from a shotgun.

Pound_Coin posted:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/27751 ?

I do not understand the logic that went into making institute energy weapons so lovely, it doesn't make sense in either lore or balance.

Ehhh it sort of makes sense in that you don't want to flood the commonwealth with an endless supply of really good laser guns if you're planning on terrorizing them with synths. I assumed they were deliberately crap but cheap to make.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 29, 2018

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

OwlFancier posted:

Ehhh it sort of makes sense in that you don't want to flood the commonwealth with an endless supply of really good laser guns if you're planning on terrorizing them with synths. I assumed they were deliberately crap but cheap to make.

They do less damage per shot but fire faster, which is the sort of compromise you would make if you had, say, an advantage or monopoly on manufacturing the relevant ammunition.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Well I mean in New Vegas there was Bulk ammo which was lower quality than the normal stuff. I know the bulk energy cells did 15% less damage, and lacked the DT reduction that normal energy cells had. I guess the Institute went the same route of making large quantities of lower-end goods as opposed to smaller quantities of higher-end?

Of course the non-institute laser weapons are also weak compared to previous games, and that I can't come up with a BS in-game explanation for.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

khy posted:

I did find this in a recent search...

https://rd.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/5012/

Yea it was similair to that but for the normal Power Armour types. I could be completely misremembering though.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

One of the things I was reminded of when I started a Horizon playthrough: Preston mentions "other groups" of Minutemen and how everyone abandoned his, but I don't recall much coming of that. Quincy didn't happen that long ago, so what happens to all the other groups? Did they abandon the Commonwealth entirely when they abandoned Colonel Hollis? Did they evaporate or turn against each other?

Because I kind of want rival Minutemen groups to negotiate with, ally with, or destroy for their treachery. That could have been a fun extension of the Minutemen story besides doing radiant quests to unlock workbenches. Some of those Minutemen mods linked above could make for some interesting antagonists.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

marshmallow creep posted:

One of the things I was reminded of when I started a Horizon playthrough: Preston mentions "other groups" of Minutemen and how everyone abandoned his, but I don't recall much coming of that. Quincy didn't happen that long ago, so what happens to all the other groups? Did they abandon the Commonwealth entirely when they abandoned Colonel Hollis? Did they evaporate or turn against each other?

Because I kind of want rival Minutemen groups to negotiate with, ally with, or destroy for their treachery. That could have been a fun extension of the Minutemen story besides doing radiant quests to unlock workbenches. Some of those Minutemen mods linked above could make for some interesting antagonists.

You find Minutemen corpses all over the place in FO4, don't you? I remember there being some in Concord.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I only remember Minutemen corpses showing up after I got the Castle and Minutemen patrols started back up, so I chalked that up as my own troops getting murdered much like Brotherhood patrols tend to.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

At least some Minutemen became raiders.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I only remember Minutemen corpses showing up after I got the Castle and Minutemen patrols started back up, so I chalked that up as my own troops getting murdered much like Brotherhood patrols tend to.

There are some named ones in Super Duper Mart, as well as a few other surviving characters that are Gunners or raiders.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

you can trace the path prestons group went from quincy to sanctuary by the occasional dead minuteman (there's a few that got split off and cornered by ghouls in lexington and i think one other spot) but thats just the survivors from his group

my takes that the minutemen were just about ready to collapse by the time quincy went down and so when you recruit new minutemen thats many of the old deserters kind of finding their way back

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
And yet the bartender in Bunker Hill talks about how Minutemen 'at the end' were able to be taken down by raiders, the minutemen in question having his grandfather in them :wtc:

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
post nuke war basically means a vastly reduced life span?

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

I don't think Preston even has anything to say if you bring him with you to Quincy or when you fight the actual guy who betrayed Preston's old group.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
You find what little backstory there is in Quincy, including the surviving Minutemen turncoats (spoiler: they joined the Gunners) and some holotapes about some of the other Concord/Sanctuary residents)

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

LashLightning posted:

I don't think Preston even has anything to say if you bring him with you to Quincy or when you fight the actual guy who betrayed Preston's old group.

He should just run up to you and say "Yes, YES!" into your face.
then drag the corpse away.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

LashLightning posted:

He absolutely has something to say because someone had the dialog flip out and just keep firing rapid-fire. And you get a hefty opinion boost for loving the guy up.

It's not like a real conversation, it's comments that trigger just by bringing him to Quincy. But it's still funny when it just fires over and over and all the guy who was playing could think was "PRESTON, ARE YOU OKAY??"

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Midnight Voyager posted:

He absolutely has something to say because someone had the dialog flip out and just keep firing rapid-fire. And you get a hefty opinion boost for loving the guy up.

It's not like a real conversation, it's comments that trigger just by bringing him to Quincy. But it's still funny when it just fires over and over and all the guy who was playing could think was "PRESTON, ARE YOU OKAY??"

Do you have a video? Because I have never heard this.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Do you have a video? Because I have never heard this.

Ah wait, I tried finding it and found what it actually was. It's dialog that fires near Gunners! It triggered rapidfire for some drat reason, so he was just chattering "We should wipe out every last one of those Gunner bastards." "I'll be happy to help you kill some more of those Gunner bastards. Just point me to them." "Cold-blooded murdering bastards." "Gunners don't deserve mercy from us." over and over. It happened in Quincy, so they (and I) thought it was related.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Midnight Voyager posted:

Ah wait, I tried finding it and found what it actually was. It's dialog that fires near Gunners! It triggered rapidfire for some drat reason, so he was just chattering "We should wipe out every last one of those Gunner bastards." "I'll be happy to help you kill some more of those Gunner bastards. Just point me to them." "Cold-blooded murdering bastards." "Gunners don't deserve mercy from us." over and over. It happened in Quincy, so they (and I) thought it was related.

Yeah, it seems like something (maybe the unofficial patch) opened this class of dialogue up recently? I got a nice one from Nick about Super Mutants that I can't remember ever hearing it before.

...and for some reason every one of my companions in settlements thinks they recently killed a synth.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
So War Never Changes includes that mod to make ragdolls interact, which seems like it would be cool, but hoooooooooly gently caress does it make Dogmeat annoying :argh: He is a Bad Dog and his pathing is the loving worst, I'd never noticed before.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

So War Never Changes includes that mod to make ragdolls interact, which seems like it would be cool, but hoooooooooly gently caress does it make Dogmeat annoying :argh: He is a Bad Dog and his pathing is the loving worst, I'd never noticed before.

LOL, all NPCs are horrible with those ragdolls. I think it was Cait that launched a dead Super Mutant at me so hard it knocked me off a skyscraper roof.

Still fun to stack bodies and parts :unsmigghh: in doorways to block the next group of enemies, though. Getting stuck myself on turret bits or bloody gibs, less fun.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I'm seriously conflicted about Dogmeat's AI. The part where he always runs ahead of you trying to figure out where you're going feels pretty true to many dogs I've known in reality, but at the same time it's a video game and having a companion running ahead triggering mines and traps isn't good video game companion behavior. It's bad enough when a companion goes into combat mode and stops following me only to walk DIRECTLY INTO MY LINE OF FIRE ADA GODDAMNIT GET OUT OF THE WAY.

I'm replacing her drat Assaultron head with a Sentry Bot one soon.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Ragdoll interaction sounds like a good idea, until you realize that your companion apparently tries to path into your crosshair, and that when you randomly launch enemies into the sky with bullets, or gods help you, with a grenade, everything just breaks down.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Yeah I've been playing with a "solid ragdolls" mod and I have been considering disabling it for the same reason. It would be nice if there was some middle ground where ragdolls would interact with each other (so you'd get a pile of bodies rather than having them all just merge together) but not with active NPCs, but I imagine that's probably just not possible in the physics engine.

Dogmeat has always had lovely pathing though, as evidenced by that gif that I thought was in this thread and apparently isn't, where he wanders through a hallway of laser tripwires and sets them all off (thankfully companions can't trigger traps anymore). The problem is because he always tries to get out in front of you, if you turn around it means that his desired position has just shifted a bunch so he runs over as quickly as possible, and then you turn around again, and so on, so he just frantically darts around all over the place unless you're walking in a straight line.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

khy posted:

I'm seriously conflicted about Dogmeat's AI. The part where he always runs ahead of you trying to figure out where you're going feels pretty true to many dogs I've known in reality,

Haha, I actually thought the same thing but I can't yell at him to get out of the way so...

e] Holy poo poo you guys Rise of the Commonwealth is so good! It feels like what the goddamn settlements should have been to start with. I legit really like the little zoomout cinematic you get to watch the settlements building up.

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jan 31, 2018

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
Somebody wayyyyyy back asked why this game would have a shotgun at all as a combat weapon? I don't know but I suspect it's because of World War I and the Trench Broom aka the Winchester 1897 which, historically, let you do poo poo like slam fire*, which would be awesome if they ever let you do it in this game. As it is...get a mod to let you add the legendary of your choice to a weapon, make a shotgun with wounding, and let that be your mirelurk gun, because holy loving poo poo does that kill crabs with a quickness.

*so for people who aren't obsessed with guns**, slam firing is a quirk of some circa 1900 guns wherein the firing pin wasn't attached to anything on the rest of the gun is my basic understanding, meaning you could hold down the trigger and keep pumping a shotgun and it would fire every time the pump came back and hit the body of the gun...meaning a shotgun would fire every time you pumped that pump back. You could fire it obscenely fast by the standards of 1918, basically, just holding down the trigger and whipping the pump back over and over and over. This poo poo was the Terminator of the Trench, in other words. At one point, Germany tried to get American shotguns banned at the international court of the Hague as weapons of rear end destruction which in retrospect I guess is kind of funny? (It didn't work)

Why is it in a neo-futurist game about an alternate nuclear post-ww2? I dunno, it looks cool? I...got nothing else. Basically there was a point in American warfare way back yonder when shotguns were part of the bleeding edge of how Americans fought and it was awesome, but it was...well...way back

**I'm not obsessed with guns, slam firing just looks fuckin' cool and I have now outed myself as a total redneck

atomicgeek fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jan 31, 2018

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

atomicgeek posted:

At one point, Germany tried to get American shotguns banned at the international court of the Hague as weapons of rear end destruction

atomicgeek posted:

weapons of rear end destruction

Tell me more! :byodood::dong:

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Shotguns were used a bunch in Nam and probably a lot of close bush/jungle where the fighting was mostly between 5-30m visibility anyway. I think scouts used them quite often. At least in NZ infantry still train with them for using beanbags in riots and stuff but they don't use them in combat(or aren't supposed to) now because they classify shot as an indiscriminate weapon.

e] Looking it up it seems like that indiscriminate weapon thing might just be a rumour. Some interesting stuff here http://lawofwar.org/Parks_Combat_Shotguns.htm
The Hague complaints basically boiled down to "Does use of shot cause "superfluous injury?" and "does shot expand on impact?" and the court decided the answer in both cases was no.

Basically shotguns got used heaps in Southeast Asia from the 50's onwards, to the point where they (brits Aus NZ, possibly US) used a 40mm shotgun round in m72 grenade launchers.

quote:

British examination of its Malaya experience determined that, to a range of thirty yards (27.4 meters), the probability of hitting a man-sized target with a shotgun was superior to that of all other weapons....

...A 1952 British study by the Commander of British Security Forces, compiled from combat action reports, tests, and other studies (including medical), reconfirmed the previous finding that the shotgun was a highly-effective combat weapon at ranges out to seventy-five yards (68.6 meters).

So yea, close range stuff, which seems fairly obvious. It also mentions low ballistic velocity meaning less chance of missed shots penetrating and hitting non-combatants.

e] I can't believe I just wrote all this poo poo :words: Although it's fitting because I've been rocking a sweet long barrel double-barreled shotty this playthrough and it absolutely owns :haw:

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jan 31, 2018

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Regardless of their use (or not) as military weapons, shotguns are incredibly common as civilian weapons, so it makes perfect sense that they'd be all over the place in a post-apoc environment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
Stopping power is a key element to a shotgun. The kinetic force delivered is superior to smaller caliber arms.

Then on top of that, it's cone of fire makes it hard to miss your target which is why it's a great game/hunting weapon.

The AA-12 is a scary and effective weapon for good reason. But even a standard 12gauge is devastating. Rate of fire doesn't matter with like a blunderbuss where the goal is to hit your target(s) with a cloud of shrapnel.

A shotgun might be nearly the perfect weapon.

Slayerjerman fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jan 31, 2018