Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

EightAce posted:

For anyone worried . Ben's ok. He just chilling on his Sand barge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Holy poo poo piss

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

orcane posted:

Assuming that the internet accountants out there aren’t full of total poo poo, CIG is making more than enough a year to fund their studios on a year by year basis plus having a moderately health reserve. If funding declines in a sensible manner rather than all at once, they’ve probably got 3-5 years of funding left in them plus downsizing giving them time if needed.

Based on what I’m seeing progress wise, they really need 3 more years and more than likely could use 5 more years with development post launch and assorted bug and performance tweaks to be made. It’s my belief that unless funding declines precipitously, they’ll be okay at least.

It’s also my belief that they’re uncertain about way too many systems for the game to be well conceived or implemented so it’s going to be a bit of a poo poo show at launch and maybe will never get better. I would like to be wrong on that part. Still, good news is that they are strong on their stance to have modding tools and we can run our own servers with our own jury rigged systems to make it fun.

I may be too pessimistic on the implementation but I do fully believe that they have the funding and methods of funding to be fine for completing the development stages and hopefully the post development work needed to maybe make it an amazing experience.
post your balls

*checks regdate*

well goddamn

don't post the balls

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
:lol:

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
why are yall saying "at launch?"

this is loving launch. this is the game

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

this is the most horrifying taxxe I can remember

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

ewe2 posted:

Way to kill the mood, thread was at peak stupid :mad:

Landing succesfl.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
taintspace 2: afterballs

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

D_Smart posted:

Would you like to find out? The quickest way is to get on it.

Rawr! I am warlord hear me roar.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sabreseven posted:

Jesus loving christlolphor.

Is it pineapple on pizza day in here?

It's even worse, reaching pineapple-on-sushi levels, but not yet close to blue-cheese-on-tacos.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

orcane posted:

Won't be a problem, they can just spit out concept ships left and right.
Remember, while the game might not be completed for quite some time, you can still play it.

This has certainly been the plan so far, but I don't think it can continue indefinitely. The market is saturated at this point. Everyone who might have been interested in the project has heard about it and I don't think they will attract new customers in any significant number. Current customers will reach a point where they don't want to spend additional money on the project. The gaming press has also largely changed it's mind about SC, and the narrative for anyone who does happen to come out from under a rock and hear about SC for the first time in 2018 is going to be very critical.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

TheAgent posted:

This a thousand times.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Sorry, I was driving home from work.

Derek I am not interested in slap fighting with you so I'm not going to. I think you're doing some real own-goals by fighting with Streetroller. I feel like occasionally acknowledging our own mistakes is what keeps us mentally present in reality, as opposed to the 'Verse. My mistake was tweaking you about this instead of taking a more serious approach and saying "Hey don't be a jerk to Streetroller." Not every kind of persuasion works on every kind of person and I should remember that. I'd encourage you to try and figure out where your arguments are going off the rails as well, but you're certainly under no obligation to.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Duckaerobics posted:

This has certainly been the plan so far, but I don't think it can continue indefinitely. The market is saturated at this point. Everyone who might have been interested in the project has heard about it and I don't think they will attract new customers in any significant number. Current customers will reach a point where they don't want to spend additional money on the project. The gaming press has also largely changed it's mind about SC, and the narrative for anyone who does happen to come out from under a rock and hear about SC for the first time in 2018 is going to be very critical.

^this

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sarsapariller posted:

Derek I am not interested in slap fighting with you so I'm not going to. I think you're doing some real own-goals by fighting with Streetroller. I feel like occasionally acknowledging our own mistakes is what keeps us mentally present in reality, as opposed to the 'Verse. My mistake was tweaking you about this instead of taking a more serious approach and saying "Hey don't be a jerk to Streetroller." Not every kind of persuasion works on every kind of person and I should remember that. I'd encourage you to try and figure out where your arguments are going off the rails as well, but you're certainly under no obligation to.

OK

----------------

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game

Sarsapariller posted:

This

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

The warlord cares not from where the owns flow, only that they flow.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

LMFAO

Hey new guy, what’s your hot loving take on Ben Lesnick, famed developer with blue tick twitter badge?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Somewhere the Stimperor had a day off. He was sitting on a beach watching sharks with sharpened teeth devour swimmers. Enjoying himself without a care in the world. He picks up his phone and realizes the chaos that has happened in this here thread. He mutters to himself: "Not again".

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Sorry, I was taking a poo poo in my toilet.

And by the magic of the world, my poo poo posted itself on the thread.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Absolute unit

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

This is probably the best post you've ever made.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

You still FAILED to provide ANY evidence in support of your claim.
[/quote]

have you sued Montoyas blue balls yet?

Streetroller
Jun 11, 2016

Wasn't me. I swear, but I owe you a beer.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

TheAgent posted:

taintspace 2: afterballs

the lickening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqcLjcSloXs

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

toads be scared, be very afraid.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Loxbourne posted:

With goons expecting a huge feast of hilarity from discovery (and some already warning that we're going to be disappointed), I think it's worth pumping the brakes a little and realistically considering what we might see in the disclosure process. Due credit to Latin Pheonix for her assistance proofreading all this.

For a start, here's the current US Federal court Disclosure and Discovery rules. As stated before, I am NOT going to give specific opinions on this because I'm not that specific kind of lawgoon. Smart lawyers (not naming any names) know when to refer a matter to people who know what they're doing. But I do have experience of discovery processes and I know what litigators look for and ask for.

So that all said, here's what we might get. Bearing in mind that as noted by kw0134, this stuff won't be uploaded the way the court documents have been and will instead be exchanged between the parties. We'll see the bits that get specifically cited.

1. CIG Financials

Let's tackle the thread's holy grail head on. We're not going to see a line-item for "Mr Roberts' cocaine dealer". That's as much a dream as a fully-functional Javelin. Even a more realistic comedy extravagance like a personal masseuse or executive barista can quietly be shuffled into a "facilities" budget alongside the $14K coffeemaker. The great joy of this lawsuit is that Crytek are certain to want accounts to assess damages, and are very likely indeed to cite points from the accounts that will require attaching them to court documents, but us seeing the complete set is by no means guaranteed. If we're really lucky perhaps Derek's sources might quietly do us a solid here, BUT those sources are risking contempt charges so let's not get our hopes up.

Also, any accounts will be prepared by cynical professional accountants, who are more than familiar with how to keep embarassing financial information quietly buried in a 10-page statement of travel costs. Anything really damaging will be several pages deep behind a phalanx of polite accounting euphemisms. If accounts do appear, expect them to be bland at first sight with the really delightful secrets in the terms and definitions. Areas to keep an eye on:

- Office furniture. Bear in mind this will be high for any technology company; entertainment value will come from just what was purchased for whom.
- A massive executive travel budget (NOT broken down into tickets, just a big number)
- Executive salaries and bonuses (again, unlikely to be listed individually)
- Details of inter-office money and rights shuffles. Any double-dipping? Which company holds what, and when was it transferred? Who's being paid by multiple companies at once?
- Other licensing and IP points. What was paid to Illfonic to break their contract? Who else has Experienced The Chris? What licenses have CIG themselves taken out?
- Who's pulled the ripcord on their golden parachutes.
- MOCAP and expenses associated with the film shoots. In particular, check to see if Director Chris and #actress Sandi were paid seperate salaries to the CEO of Cloud Imperium and the Head of Marketing.
- Debt and who holds it.
- Details of investors.
- Genuine refund amounts.
- Genuine funding figures (this will be plenty embarassing enough if they don't match the funding tracker).

If something shows up big and obvious here, expect the media to pick it up in a frustratingly simplified form ("Star Citizen accounts show Chris spending $X,xxx,xxx,xxx.xx on flights to Monaco!"). Likewise, don't expect the shitizenry to be too shocked; anything requiring reading more than a single layer is too easy to dismiss.

2. CIG/Crytek correspondence.

Whatever communications were exchanged between CIG and Crytek execs, and CIG and Crytek staff, and especially CIG and Crytek staff who went on to become CIG staff, are going to be utterly crucial to both sides. No question about it, this WILL be dug over again and again. Comedy here will be of the "I'm a big tough executive with no self-awareness whatsoever" kind. The chances of a good old CIG unforced error will be at their highest. If we're lucky, someone will express their contempt for the backers. If we're really really lucky, we'll see someone discussing how he's totally going to screw Crytek.

But now I've whetted everyone's appetite I have to deliver the bad news. This area is the most likely to be heavily locked down by ALL sides. Crytek themselves may have a few embarassing skeletons in their closet, or just not want their negotiating strategies discussed in public, and the judge isn't going to want to wade through page after page of chest-thumping. Expect a lot of cut material and tantalising hints of other documents; entire sheaves of AMD Letters that we'll sadly never see without a leak. The real hilarity in the Ion Storm meltdown came from leaked internal emails, but they were leaked rather than disclosed.

The most likely outcome: Both sides seize on one or two email chains apiece that shore up their case and rely heavily on those. The thread curses as we are teased with references to "the X settlement" or "the unfortunate events at Y's offices" that remain forever sealed.

3. Pre-action correspondence.

The most likely source of thread entertainment. Whatever correspondence was exchanged before Crytek filed their lawsuit will probably show up in the trial bundle, and could contain some entertaining examples of how Chris & co treat servants peons contractors. Crytek will probably posture just as much as CIG here. Expect chest-thumping roars and much flinging of excrement right up until Crytek hire Skadden whereupon the quality of discourse will probably shoot up.

Not likely to be anything shocking here unless one party did something provocative to the other in the run-up. Probably a lot of CIG delaying tactics, hoping to reach the next big sale or that Crytek will just go bankrupt and stop bothering them.

4. Insights into CIG's internal power dynamics

Keep an eye on what CIG say isn't relevant. What are they insisting is nothing to do with Cloud Imperium as a company? Which servers are they trying to refuse access to? What's suddenly been declared to be sold to Ris Choberts? This is where CIG will gas up their internal firewalls and I expect Skadden to have to file motions to compel access.

Likewise, watch the email trails. Who holds which company offices? How does a message move around inside CIG? Does everything go to the Head of Marketing who in turn forwards it on the Chairman? Does Chris actually have any control over his underlings? Does he rage directly or passive-aggressively? Whose opinions are consulted, and for what? Who doesn't CC the Chairman on their emails?

5. Details of who CIG's been courting

Who pops up unexpectedly in the emails? What's suddenly redacted? Any institutional investor will have done due dilligence including checks on pending legal action. If this has been pending for a year or more, some entertaining organisations might have stuck their heads around the door during that time (and then Noped out). Does Chris threaten anyone with his big scary new friends? For that matter, who threatens Chris?

6. The Dates and Times of CIG's largest payments, in and out

This is like signal analysis of encrypted traffic. We won't be able to see, e.g. how much was paid to Gary Oldman. But we might be able to infer it from sudden lump-sum payments, especially given the rumours of executives demanding their royalties with the release of 2.6. I'll be very very curious to see how much left their accounts (and which accounts) on 2.6 and 3.0's release dates.

Was there a large lump sum payment about the time Ben stopped appearing on ATV? To Lando about the time he was rumoured to be leaving? Were there payments to a certain film studio responsible for internationally famous horror epic American Satan - and what else has been paid out of that budget? Who paid what for the rumoured private detective agencies involved in the leak hunt after the AEGIS Potato incident?

I'll also be interested to look into when CIG leased various properties, and which shell company owns those properties. Most commercial leases terminate in the event of bankruptcy or receivership, so what are Chris & co preparing to sacrifice? Also, comparing the dates of any inward investment or tax credit with the funding tracker may provide considerable comedy dividends. Were any large payments made around the times that, say, Coutts might expect a loan repayment?

and lastly...

7. A Spectacular Unforced Error That Makes Us All Collapse Laughing.

Hey, it is CIG we're talking about. For that matter it's Crytek we're talking about. There's going to be something totally off the wall that we've never ever imagined in a million years, count on it. It might be an unexpected asset (holding a lease on a house somewhere, or a yacht, or a private train car), a hilarious euphemism for payment structures ("enhanced performance dividend"), or something even sillier. But it's gonna be there. CIG can't help themselves.

My personal bid is "evidence of an attempt to sue American Satan's producers using backer money". I'm sure the thread can think up other possibilities. The reality is probably going to be exponentially more insane than anything we can think up.

This is great analysis, thanks :five:

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

goon. Thrice the brinded cat hath mew'd.
2 goon. Thrice and once, the blowed whale whin'd.
3 goon. wharlord cries:—'tis time! 'tis time!
1 beet. Round about the caldron go;
In the moma entrails throw.—
Ben that Toad, that under cold stone,
Days and nights has forty - Two;
Swelter'd venom sleeping rot,
Boil thou first i' the charmed pot!
ALL. Double, double toil and trouble
Fire burn, and caldron bubble.

intardnation fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 31, 2018

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Colostomy Bag posted:

Somewhere the Stimperor had a day off. He was sitting on a beach watching sharks with sharpened teeth devour swimmers. Enjoying himself without a care in the world. He picks up his phone and realizes the chaos that has happened in this here thread. He mutters to himself: "Not again".

Incorrect. It is sharks "with fricking laser beams on their heads" (not not ill tempered sea-bass as some might supose) that the Stimperor enjoys watching.

fake e- I am away from the thread for like, what, 5 days? a week? and there are a loving hundred pages to wade though... wtf people :lol:

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

D_Smart posted:

So this is your new gimmick? You know how this ends, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSmUadzpjBk

is how it always ends - every single time.

intardnation fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 31, 2018

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

https://i.imgur.com/ITQ4phE.gifv

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

Galarox posted:

Incorrect. It is sharks "with fricking laser beams on their heads" (not not ill tempered sea-bass as some might supose) that the Stimperor enjoys watching.

fake e- I am away from the thread for like, what, 5 days? a week? and there are a loving hundred pages to wade though... wtf people :lol:

dont forget paper cuts to the tongue.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

intardnation posted:

Before or after I chew a wad of tin foil like bubblegum?

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/7u0sje/does_noone_use_chat_anymore/

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

intardnation posted:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
3.0.1 patch was released to Evocati. The patch notes are hilarious.

Alpha Patch 3.0.1 has been released to the Evocati, and is now available to test! Patch should now show: PTU-705284

It is strongly recommended that players delete their USER folder for the Public client after patching, particularly if you start encountering any odd character graphical issues or crash on loading. The USER folder can be found (in default installations) at C:\Program Files\Roberts Space Industries\StarCitizen\LIVE.

Major Known Issues:

When using the Mobiglas there is a chance to cause a graphical glitch that will remain for the duration of the session. W/A: Relaunching into crusader should fix it, but if this occurs please make note of it on the regression found here: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/AVOCADO/forum/84096/thread/volunteer-regression-testing-3-0-1

New Features
General

Added monocle to PMA and added eye accessory slot as option in PMA.

Missions

Temporarily removed deploy missions from the mission broker.

Feature Updates
Ships and Vehicles

- AI now have specific shield generators that provide half the shield health/shield regen.
- For all ships, shield HP halved, regen lowered, regen ramp up time increased. Shields now allow more physical damage through the less health they have.
- For all ships, armor reduced to 1.00 for physical and 0.95 for energy for all ships.
- Missile damage and explosive radius reduced.

Bug Fixes

- Players should no longer be sorted into Arena Commander races that have already started, causing an error code.
- Speculative fix for ships missing items.
- Reputation should now persist between player sessions.
- Fix for ship EMP weapons charging much faster than intended.
- Fix for certain weapon families starting at max spread and recovering significantly slower than expected.
- When trying on/inspecting clothes your face should no longer be illuminated by helmet lights that aren't there.
- Fix for ships duplicating if changes were made to the pledge while an insurance claim was being made.
- Admin NPCs should now accept boxes and allow players to complete related missions.
- Boxes placed on admin counters should no longer fall through to the floor.
- REC rented items should no longer invalidate prior rentals and rentals with time remaining from the prior patch should now be available.
- Carry-able crates dropped from vehicle destruction in excess of SCU crates in Cargo Grids will now spawn on positions of Cargo Grids instead of near world origin.
- Players should no longer be able to break their character and be stuck spawning as a white sphere.

Technical

- Various crash fixes.

Known bugs, issues, and work arounds (W/A):

- When using the Mobiglas there is a chance to cause a graphical glitch that will remain for the duration of the session. W/A: Relaunching into crusader should fix it.
- AC ship customization and VMA currently do not save changes to selected ship. W/A: Port Olisar port modification system still somewhat works.

----------------

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

D_Smart posted:

- Players should no longer be able to break their character and be stuck spawning as a white sphere.

A great nightmare is over. This fix was a one time courtesy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheAgent posted:

*jazzhands*

Meridian posted:

The warlord cares not from where the owns flow, only that they flow.

Today has been a heavy flow day.

Hav fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 31, 2018