Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

quote:

‘Watchmen’ HBO Series Taps Nicole Kassell to Direct Pilot

Nicole Kassell will direct and executive produce the “Watchmen” pilot currently in the works at HBO from Damon Lindelof.

Kassell is no stranger to HBO. She previously helmed multiple episodes of “The Leftovers,” which was created by Lindelof. She also directed an episode of the Martin Scorsese-Mick Jagger HBO drama “Vinyl.” Her other TV directing credits include the TNT drama “Claws,” FX’s “The Americans,” AMC’s “Better Call Saul,” and ABC’s “American Crime.” Kassell’s first feature film, “The Woodsman” starring Kevin Bacon, premiered in competition at the 2004 Sundance Film Festival and was distributed by Newmarket Films. The screenplay was co-written by Kassell and Steven Fechter.

She is repped by WME, Management 360, and Frankfurt Kurnit Klein & Selz.

“Watchmen” was ordered to pilot at HBO back in September. The project is an adaptation of the DC graphic novel from Alan Moore, artist Dave Gibbons, and colorist John Higgins. Set in a universe in which the appearance of costumed heroes in the mid-20th Century had altered the course of history — leading to U.S. victory in Vietnam and a Nixon presidency that stretched into the mid-1980s — “Watchmen” followed a group of crimefighters investigating the murder of one of their own. In the process, those characters — including Doctor Manhattan, Nite Owl, Silk Spectre, and Rorschach — uncover a conspiracy with enormous implications.

Lindelof will write and executive produce. “Watchmen” is produced for HBO by White Rabbit in association with Warner Bros. Television.

http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/watchmen-hbo-series-nicole-kassell-director-1202682035/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Cool.

It's absurd that the annoying thing that fans clamored about for years is not only actually happening, but happening with an excellent creative team. Hopefully casting is equally great. The movie will be hard to beat in many aspects, but especially in that regard.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
Sup fellas I haven’t read the thread at all but I just saw Thor Ragnarok and the newer Spider-Man movie and let me just say they were both good.

Especially Thor. drat what a fun cartoon that was. I think they crammed maybe too many jokes in there, but most at least made me smile. I bet Kate blanchet was a little annoyed because she was in a totally different movie than the rest of the cast. Hulk was great, banner was alright. Valkyrie was great.

I’ll probably buy it on iTunes and watch it again with deleted scenes and features and stuff.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

feedmyleg posted:

Cool.

It's absurd that the annoying thing that fans clamored about for years is not only actually happening, but happening with an excellent creative team. Hopefully casting is equally great. The movie will be hard to beat in many aspects, but especially in that regard.

Other than Jeffrey Dean Morgan, most of the movie's cast gave abysmal performances. Malin Ackerman, Patrick Wilson, Matthew Goode. Shouldn't be hard to find better actors.

SMP
May 5, 2009

I haven't seen it since it came out, but I thought Haley was a good Rorscach.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Davros1 posted:

Other than Jeffrey Dean Morgan, most of the movie's cast gave abysmal performances. Malin Ackerman, Patrick Wilson, Matthew Goode. Shouldn't be hard to find better actors.

Whaaaaaat? Akerman is literally the only weak link in that entire cast. Everyone else is pitch-perfect.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Nah

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Timby posted:

Whaaaaaat? Akerman is literally the only weak link in that entire cast. Everyone else is pitch-perfect.

I can see an argument for Goode, but yeah. Saying Patrick Wilson, Billy Crudup, and Jackie Earle Haley were abysmal is some nonsense.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Cool.

Its actually better than that, because the creative team is headed up by another nerd hate figure, Damon Lindelof.

I'm just curious to see if they're going to be bold with this. We already got a (mostly) faithful and excellent adaptation with the movie, so I'd like to see them do something different with it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Timby posted:

And that's in large part due to several of the character's key scenes not being in the movie.

The Orville posted:

It’s a really good series. Sorry about your taste.

They're a really good idea for a series that has really not reached its potential. Like, a completely mediocre writer and director came up with a fantastic idea.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

GonSmithe posted:

I can see an argument for Goode, but yeah. Saying Patrick Wilson, Billy Crudup, and Jackie Earle Haley were abysmal is some nonsense.

Matt Frewer, Carla Gugino and Stephen McHattie, too.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, I mostly meant Patrick Wilson, Billy Crudup, and Jackie Earle Haley as the terrific performances. Goode made a couple of poor choices, while Akerman wasn't the sort of naturalistic performer who could play well off of Wilson. She and Goode were both miscast to begin with. Gugino was super broad as the elderly version of the character but fantastic as the younger. Frewer was fantastic, same with McHattie.

Gorn Myson posted:

Its actually better than that, because the creative team is headed up by another nerd hate figure, Damon Lindelof.

Yeah it's gonna be dope :cool:

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 31, 2018

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Its going to loving own, I love Lindelof.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Eagerly anticipating Gateway City, coming to Syfy in 2021.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I think Akira would make a great live-action series in the right hands. Like on HBO or Netflix. 5 short seasons, based on the 6 volumes of the manga (Volume 1-2 go together too much, and Akira waking up is way too good a first season cliffhanger).

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

I bet Kate blanchet was a little annoyed because she was in a totally different movie than the rest of the cast.

Nah, everyone had fun on that shoot

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

thor ragnarok was a good movie and i enjoyed it a lot

e: also i'm at least glad that michael pena is back in the new ant man because he was the best part of the first one

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Thor Ragnarok was a handful of funny scenes that occasionally interacted with a plot. There was nothing of note aside from the rock guy voiced by the director. And that was still done better as a Youtube video.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Snowman_McK posted:

Thor Ragnarok was a handful of funny scenes that occasionally interacted with a plot. There was nothing of note aside from the rock guy voiced by the director. And that was still done better as a Youtube video.

So who'd you piss off with your knife collection?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Burkion posted:

So who'd you piss off with your knife collection?

I have a feeling it's a gun enthusiast who felt that me comparing my (self confessed extremely stupid) knife collection to their gun collection was cheapening one or both of those things.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Snowman_McK posted:

I have a feeling it's a gun enthusiast who felt that me comparing my (self confessed extremely stupid) knife collection to their gun collection was cheapening one or both of those things.

Knife collections can be pretty cool actually.

Any collection can be pretty cool if it has personal worth so no clue what's up with that moron.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Burkion posted:

Any collection can be pretty cool if it has personal worth so no clue what's up with that moron.

I'm actually guessing. I have no idea who bought it or why. It's nice to think that I had an effect on someone, though.

I also just realised that the Punisher TV show had a lower body count than the 2008 movie and the 1989 movie. Is it weird that that kills a lot of my interest in it? I mean, surely there's other reasons to watch Netflix's 'the Punisher' aside from watching how they kill people.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jan 31, 2018

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Snowman_McK posted:

I'm actually guessing. I have no idea who bought it or why. It's nice to think that I had an effect on someone, though.

I also just realised that the Punisher TV show had a lower body count than the 2008 movie and the 1989 movie. Is it weird that that kills a lot of my interest in it? I mean, surely there's other reasons to watch Netflix's 'the Punisher' aside from watching how they kill people.

It may have a lower body count but the brutality factor is harsh. Don't worry, it doesn't pull punches if you're worried about a PG Punisher.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

McSpanky posted:

It may have a lower body count but the brutality factor is harsh. Don't worry, it doesn't pull punches if you're worried about a PG Punisher.

yeah, but it's spread out over several hundred minutes rather than 90. And I doubt a comic book TV show is going to hit the 'quality over quantity' ratio I'm after.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Burkion posted:

just be careful not to graduate to katana collection and everything will be fine

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

it also had hulk being rad, cate blanchett being hot, anthony hopkins actually looking like he was enjoying himself for a change, karl urban getting a second run at Doom, jeff goldblumming, and a rampaging lack of concern with established power levels or powers because it was more interested in having superheroes do cool poo poo

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowman_McK posted:

yeah, but it's spread out over several hundred minutes rather than 90. And I doubt a comic book TV show is going to hit the 'quality over quantity' ratio I'm after.

If you're a fan of the character then you owe it to yourself to check out the show, it's the best screen version I've seen yet.

Go watch some Frank Castle highlights from the second Netflix Daredevil series if you haven't already seen it to gauge if you dig this version or not. The prison fight scene is probably as good a scene as any to start with.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Snowman_McK posted:

Watch the first episode on Netflix. You won't be disappointed.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

it's the best screen version I've seen yet.

This is a low bar that I'm not even sure the show clears.

Fly Molo posted:

Watch the first episode on Netflix. You won't be disappointed.

I did. I was. It is a bad show that takes a long time to say and do very little.

TetsuoTW posted:

it also had hulk being rad, cate blanchett being hot, anthony hopkins actually looking like he was enjoying himself for a change, karl urban getting a second run at Doom, jeff goldblumming, and a rampaging lack of concern with established power levels or powers because it was more interested in having superheroes do cool poo poo

Like I said, there were a few good jokes that occasionally interacted with the plot.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

Like I said, there were a few good jokes that occasionally interacted with the plot.
actually i think i agree with you, i just also think the the plot is almost universally among the weakest parts of any marvel movie so the less they care about that poo poo the better

like if you're only going to make a lovely story than at least make it an entertaining lovely story and not age of ultron

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Snowman_McK posted:

This is a low bar that I'm not even sure the show clears.

I did. I was. It is a bad show that takes a long time to say and do very little.

Uh, okay. Maybe go watch a war movie or something if kills-per-minute is your main viewing criteria? :confused:

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

TetsuoTW posted:

actually i think i agree with you, i just also think the the plot is almost universally among the weakest parts of any marvel movie so the less they care about that poo poo the better

like if you're only going to make a lovely story than at least make it an entertaining lovely story and not age of ultron

It's always more or less the same film, but with different window dressing. This time we got 'dry kiwi humour' and 'some gladiator poo poo' as a window dressing. And it was fine. They're all fine. They're never quite bad, but also never brilliant.

Fly Molo posted:

Uh, okay. Maybe go watch a war movie or something if kills-per-minute is your main viewing criteria? :confused:

It isn't. The punisher just isn't very good.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Yeah it's pretty great, it's just really slow and it's not going to be for people that want to see the Punisher be the Punisher.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
I'm scratching my head trying to figure out why they keep shoehorning the paralegal from Daredevil into all of their otherwise good and cool shows.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I'm scratching my head trying to figure out why they keep shoehorning the paralegal from Daredevil into all of their otherwise good and cool shows.

She wasn't in Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, or Iron Fist. She was in Defenders because that had everyone, and Punisher because she was the one most connected to him through the whole Punisher plot in Daredevil. She's been in less shows than Turk Barrett with 4 and Claire Temple with 5

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jan 31, 2018

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Unfortunately, they killed off Ben Urich in DDs1. He would have made a better carry through character.

^^^I could have sworn Page was in JJ^^^

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Thor Ragnarok is how all Marvel movies should be.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

BiggerBoat posted:

Unfortunately, they killed off Ben Urich in DDs1. He would have made a better carry through character.

^^^I could have sworn Page was in JJ^^^

She's not. Started out in DD season 1 as a rando secretary at a construction union who discovered a portion of Fisk's activities.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Vintersorg posted:

Thor Ragnarok is how all Marvel movies should be.

I'm pretty sure they're already instantly forgettable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'm pretty sure they're already instantly forgettable.

Whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooa!

Watch the edge bro.

jk Most are poo poo, yes.