Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

loquacius posted:

I'm curious what Red Panels thinks the solution is to the student debt crisis

Even something like "maybe every single young person in America shouldn't be pressured into driving themselves into massive debt for no real reason upon coming of age, or be told they're a huge failure" wouldn't be too heinous, and it can't be "minorities shouldn't go to college" or the guy from the comic would have been a much more obvious stereotype

Like, you'd expect him to have the absolute most shithead take on every issue, and for this issue that would probably be "students are just WHINING and LAZY and should solve this problem by just being rich"

I'm sure it involves genocide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
so is the donkey's speech bubble translated from another language or does this dude understand English perfectly but not speak it

come on mccoy get your racism together

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Remember folks, doing things for people as an incentive for them to vote for you is cheating at democracy.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

loquacius posted:

Even something like "maybe every single young person in America shouldn't be pressured into driving themselves into massive debt for no real reason upon coming of age, or be told they're a huge failure" wouldn't be too heinous, and it can't be "minorities shouldn't go to college" or the guy from the comic would have been a much more obvious stereotype

Like, you'd expect him to have the absolute most shithead take on every issue, and for this issue that would probably be "students are just WHINING and LAZY and should solve this problem by just being rich"

My guess would be an extra-fascist variation on the typical STEMlord attitude, "Idiots should've gotten a STEM degree and become rich by doing REAL SCIENCE, not that namby-pamby liberal arts gender-studies SJW cultural marxist brainwashing crap."

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

Remember folks, doing things for people as an incentive for them to vote for you is cheating at democracy.

Government of the capital, by the capital, for the capital, shall not perish from this earth

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

Got no use for psychiatry
I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
My tongue is a double agent

DACK FAYDEN posted:

so is the donkey's speech bubble translated from another language or does this dude understand English perfectly but not speak it

come on mccoy get your racism together

I think someone should also tell him undocumented immigrants can't vote. Weird how Republicans forget that actually just believe insane conspiracy theories just plain hate brown people.

Also salami girl is gonna be easily identifiable by the horrific acne she's gonna get from wearing a giant slab of grease around her eyes.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

However, doing things for corporate persons as an incentive for them to donate to your reelection campaign is simply free speech at work :patriot: :911:

I assumed he was in the middle of saying "bitches" until panel 3

obviously the fact that it's a Red Panels edit was priming me a little :v:

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Boksi posted:

My guess would be an extra-fascist variation on the typical STEMlord attitude, "Idiots should've gotten a STEM degree and become rich by doing REAL SCIENCE, not that namby-pamby liberal arts gender-studies skeleton cultural marxist brainwashing crap."

"Education is for cucks, get rekt libtards"

Y'all are giving the Nazi way too much credit here.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerry Cotton posted:

A... a good comic?

No. Saying "poor comfortable me is so much worse off than a person LITERALLY SLEEPING OUTSIDE IN THE STREET" is not, in any way, "good". It's literally something trump said about a homeless guy also. So: No.

Look how worried and sad that "illegal immigrant" is! Look at his puppy dog eyes "This...this is not ow immigration should work!" he frets! He KNOWS something is wrong! If only there was a political party that would help him fix this problem!

I'll never get tired of the old Republican "Wait...you're giving people a working program to help them in order get their votes?? That's CHEATING!!"

Xander77 posted:

Like this terrible loving cracked article. It features Kreider's (?) "Science vs Religion" cartoon right in the middle, as an example of how bad political cartoons are. The Cracked writer is (pardon the tautology) absolutely retarded. That cartoon exemplifies exactly what political cartoons are meant to be, yet rarely are anymore. Yes, it simplifies a complex topic and take a stance based on that simplification - but it communicates its point via a simple, striking, and memorable image, the text being secondary (though it does help the picture).

It actually argues AGAINST metaphors by taking the comic as literal, and derides it for that. Yes, Krieder is literally saying that religious folks are literally cavemen, good point

quote:

Oh, wait. Apparently the religious are filthy cavemen from the Stone Age throwing rocks impotently at spaceships. You'll certainly never catch a single religious person ever using technology or inventing anything. They'll just grunt and chuck rocks.
IT'S A METAPHOR.

She also labels "Day by day" a political comic so...

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Duke Igthorn posted:

No. Saying "poor comfortable me is so much worse off than a person LITERALLY SLEEPING OUTSIDE IN THE STREET" is not, in any way, "good". It's literally something trump said about a homeless guy also. So: No.

OK so you literally didn't read the strip because it's very clearly dunking on people who think student debt is even slightly comparable to homelessness.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Xander77 posted:

Like this terrible loving cracked article.

Wow, that comic with the horse and girl is 10x the blatant ripoff of Calvin & Hobbes that Prickly City is.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Sandpuppy posted:

Wow, that comic with the horse and girl is 10x the blatant ripoff of Calvin & Hobbes that Prickly City is.

Non Sequitur actually had some overlap with Calvin & Hobbes in terms of when they were published, and I wanna say that strip was an intentional homage

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer

Yes.... Ha ha ha... YES!

Cool gun and all but the visual metaphor is poo poo (what else is new). The consumers aren't calling this strike down on themselves. Trump is doing it from afar.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
(Disclaimer: I actually like Zelda, on the whole, even with all the insufferable characters.)

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

loquacius posted:

The Littlest JRPG Villain

I mean it's basically Earthbound.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sir Tonk posted:

Yeah my grandmother keeps wondering how I'm such a nice person, but am not a Christian. It's been baffling her for years, like there's no rationale way for it to be true.

If it'll make your grandmother feel any better, according to Chick you'll still go to hell no matter how good you are because you didn't say the magic words.

She will also go to hell if she said the magic words but in a Catholic Church, but that's a secondary concern.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

A... a good comic?

A STEM major cartoon.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerry Cotton posted:

OK so you literally didn't read the strip because it's very clearly dunking on people who think student debt is even slightly comparable to homelessness.

Yeah, I'm sure the literal Nazi guy wrote a cartoon about a noble homeless man and how his student debt isn't REALLY a big deal hahahaha.

No, he's making a joke but he really does feel that way.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Duke Igthorn posted:

Yeah, I'm sure the literal Nazi guy wrote a cartoon about a noble homeless man and how his student debt isn't REALLY a big deal hahahaha.

Jesus gently caress you're obtuse.

e: Although I guess I can't blame you for being incapable of reading a particular comic strip because you obviously haven't read the thread (or the OP) either.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jan 30, 2018

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerry Cotton posted:

e: Although I guess I can't blame you for being incapable of reading a particular comic strip because you obviously haven't read the thread (or the OP) either.

GRRRRRRRRRRREAT INSULT GUY DEFENDING A NAZI!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Duke Igthorn posted:

GRRRRRRRRRRREAT INSULT GUY DEFENDING A NAZI!

There.
Is.
No.
Nazi.
In.
The.
Comic.

The guy who made it is, as far as I know, a nazi, based on his earlier works which, incidentally, are not good.

But you love Trump tho.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerry Cotton posted:

There.
Is.
No.
Nazi.
In.
The.
Comic.

The guy who made it is, as far as I know, a nazi, based on his earlier works which, incidentally, are not good.

But you love Trump tho.

So the writer and artist IS a Nazi but, despite very comic he does has him as the put upon world weary "sees-it-like-it-is" protagonist just rolling his eyes, THIS time he's not literally wearing a swastika so here have a big ol' pallet of "good jobs" and "attaboys" and a generous helping of "guys lets just hear the Nazi out..."?

Good policy. Good. I'm sure he'll enjoy bathing in that warm glow of benefit of the doubt the next time he's drawing a comic about how gays deserve death. Thanks for being there for him in his time of need.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Duke Igthorn posted:

It actually argues AGAINST metaphors by taking the comic as literal, and derides it for that. Yes, Krieder is literally saying that religious folks are literally cavemen, good point
No.

Jerry Cotton posted:

NO.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sorry what?
She writes:

quote:

Oh, wait. Apparently the religious are filthy cavemen from the Stone Age throwing rocks impotently at spaceships. You'll certainly never catch a single religious person ever using technology or inventing anything. They'll just grunt and chuck rocks.
About this comic;

She's making an argument that this comic has a "straw man" when A: no it doesn't and B: it's a metaphor. And a pretty clear one. This comes after two perfectly good "straw man" examples.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Amen

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

loquacius posted:

It's almost certainly "there doesn't need to be a solution, the stupid SJWs with liberal arts degrees are reaping the results of their bad choices, and it's not the role of government to bail them out."

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on yet another mess facing Theresa May – MPs have accused Carillion of ‘trying to wriggle’ out of paying into pensions pot"

Telegraph:

Independent:

‘Window is closing’: Tories voice fresh criticism of May

Times:

Evening Standard:

Angela Merkel 'ridicules Theresa May's Brexit demands during secret press briefing'

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The Cubelodyte posted:

Yes.... Ha ha ha... YES!

Cool gun and all but the visual metaphor is poo poo (what else is new). The consumers aren't calling this strike down on themselves. Trump is doing it from afar.

Yeah that struck me about this Ramirez. He's willing to criticize the action, but too cowardly to tie it to Trump. Even though literally everything from 2007-2017 was directly Wormbama's fault.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Really should have been Uturtlepia, but otherwise good.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

https://twitter.com/JebBush/status/958113720370188289

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
The Earth, bound by chains of "peace" and barely supported by weak old property rights. Some kind of like, fuckin' Rush album cover art cartoon?

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

I know it's WSJ but this is superbly idiotic.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Yeah that struck me about this Ramirez. He's willing to criticize the action, but too cowardly to tie it to Trump. Even though literally everything from 2007-the end of time is directly Wormbama's fault.

FTFY

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I appreciate the security drone from the Amazon comic being the Metalhead robot.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

“it has become easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism” - B-Rock the Islamic Shock Super-Allah Obama

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The Earth, bound by chains of "peace" and barely supported by weak old property rights. Some kind of like, fuckin' Rush album cover art cartoon?

beautiful

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
DSA Chapter made a really cute comic about the DSA
https://twitter.com/Columbus_DSA/status/958490749477244928

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?

Saint Sputnik posted:

Also change the UN logo for some 4chan/Nazi poo poo

idgi
https://twitter.com/nsilverberg/status/957832172223770626