Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Someone from ASIO is going around Canberra salvos stores with a truck buying up filing cabinets as we speak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gluten Freeman posted:

how many filing cabinets full of top secret documents do you think they've accidentally sold

Blockchain all document ownership

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Hobo Erotica posted:

The article you linked didn't even mention Kiernan? And there are no details about who got ripped off? I mean even for your addled mind this is shaky sir.

But enough about your toilet habits
Well yes but you may have noted (lol who am I kidding) that I addressed that exact point in my first post. Finding dirt on Kiernan online is nigh on impossible. How do I know? Because every time clean up Australia day rolls around I look for evidence of his previous malfeasance. I do this to remind people that he is, in fact, a poo poo bird of the lowest order. I can how ever assure you that it was front page news back in the day and on such a front page was the picture of him sailing out of Sydney heads on his yacht.

Rather than slam me with a bunch more ad hominem how about you do some research before your next reply? Or better yet, never post again.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Cartoon posted:

Well yes but you may have noted (lol who am I kidding) that I addressed that exact point in my first post. Finding dirt on Kiernan online is nigh on impossible. How do I know? Because every time clean up Australia day rolls around I look for evidence of his previous malfeasance. I do this to remind people that he is, in fact, a poo poo bird of the lowest order. I can how ever assure you that it was front page news back in the day and on such a front page was the picture of him sailing out of Sydney heads on his yacht.

Rather than slam me with a bunch more ad hominem how about you do some research before your next reply? Or better yet, never post again.

Were you one of those stung by his tax avoision negligence?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Les Affaires posted:

Were you one of those stung by his tax avoision negligence?
No, but I do remember him being an unrepentant skunk.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I do enjoy the way the ABC had managed to frontload all the poo poo damaging to Labor, such as Wong leaving classified artifacts in a desk drawer, or the AFP losing documents WHILE LABOR WERE IN CHARGE, while the poo poo that's actually more damning to the Liberal party goes at the bottom, where lazy comment thread trolls fear to scroll.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Well all the Labor stuff is just kinda sigh whilst all the Lib stuff is oh jesus christ :stare:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

bandaid.friend posted:

At least Gibbs was on the original shortlist. I wonder what Constance has against Ian Kiernan?

I wonder why the Libs do not want to name a ship after an environmentalist, even a very uncontroversial one :thunk:

Cartoon posted:

What all of us should have against Ian. You see in the seventies and eighties there was a thing called bottom of the harbour. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bottom_of_the_harbour_tax_avoidance Ian was the Skase of his generation and was last seen evading creditors on his yacht as it sailed for international waters through Sydney heads sometime in about 1983.

This is a good reason not to name it after him, but lol if the Libs give a poo poo about this past indiscretion.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The wide brown land is a crock of poo poo
With it's inbred farming hicks
A stinky dusty failure
That's this dump, Australia

I wish someone would upload that song to YouTube.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Oh wait there's more Labor bashing down the bottom too.

The NBN one is baffling, because nothing I'm reading there seems particularly bad or controversial, in contrast with the language seeming to indicate that it is??

I guess the ABC are just trying to mitigate the inevitable fallout, but that's still terrible jounalism.

edit: The Pink Batts one is even shakier, jesus loving christ ABC.

Don Dongington fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jan 31, 2018

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Lol there’s a decent chance the greens are going to gently caress up taking Feeney’s seat at the inevitable by election.

There’s a move to expel Alex Bhatal, who has spent a long time building relationships and profile in the seat and should beat Feeney, as payback for her helping get Lydia Thorpe (an indigenous working class woman) preselected for the state seat of Northcote instead of the anointed waspy male candidate favoured by a bunch of greens in the local council.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Cartoon posted:

Nothing is showing up on Trove's newspaper archive search, other than mentions of his yachting and then the Clean Up Australia thing. Likewise with Google. Roughly when did this go down?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Don Dongington posted:

Fresh fruit and vegetables aren't all that cheap anymore, and unless you're willing to eat nothing but frozen veg and Fry's schnitzels like I did when I was both poor and avoiding meat/dairy/eggs, you're poo poo out of luck. Add in the fact that kids are predominantly fussy and typically want to live on a diet high in fat and sodium and you're hosed for choices on a low income. Non-dairy milk alternatives also cost more.

Fruit isn't cheap, but veg is if you don't buy it from the big supermarkets. And the staples of a typical healthy vegan diet (grains and legumes) are absolutely the cheapest type of nutrition there is unless you are buying hipster nonsense which for the purposes of your argument I'm going to assume you aren't. You can get many types for less than or around $5/kg dried. Also at both Coles and Woolworths the cheapest non dairy milk is $1.15/l, which is not nothing, but you are making it sound like a luxury. If you have fussy kids though I get why this could be difficult.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Cartoon posted:

Oh right I forgot this was auspol, where some dickhead remembering a picture of a guy on a boat from a newspaper 40 years ago is sufficient to write someone off, despite them almost single handed getting a nation psyched about going out and picking up rubbish

e - or maybe not! In the words of Tamatoa, 'you keep surprising me'

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 31, 2018

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Solemn Sloth posted:

Lol there’s a decent chance the greens are going to gently caress up taking Feeney’s seat at the inevitable by election.

There’s a move to expel Alex Bhatal, who has spent a long time building relationships and profile in the seat and should beat Feeney, as payback for her helping get Lydia Thorpe (an indigenous working class woman) preselected for the state seat of Northcote instead of the anointed waspy male candidate favoured by a bunch of greens in the local council.

Jesus loving wept. Is this Darebin Greens? Shouldn’t members just be voting for their preferred candidates prior to the byelection?

Alex went within what, half a percent of taking the seat last election?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Hobo Erotica posted:

Oh right I forgot this was auspol, where some dickhead remembering a picture of a guy on a boat from a newspaper 40 years ago is sufficient to write someone off, despite them almost single handed getting a nation psyched about going out and picking up rubbish

e - or maybe not! In the words of Tamatoa, 'you keep surprising me'

Yeah, no offence Cartoon but I could find twenty articles about Christopher Skase right now but somehow Keirnan has a secret team that has defeated the internet and journalists alike?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Bolt saying "state-funded ABC" (as a dogwhistle to his buddies about (((cultural marxism))) ) should be followed up by every one of his articles listing Andrew "Bought and Paid For by Rich People" Bolt

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Zenithe posted:

Fruit isn't cheap, but veg is if you don't buy it from the big supermarkets. And the staples of a typical healthy vegan diet (grains and legumes) are absolutely the cheapest type of nutrition there is unless you are buying hipster nonsense which for the purposes of your argument I'm going to assume you aren't. You can get many types for less than or around $5/kg dried. Also at both Coles and Woolworths the cheapest non dairy milk is $1.15/l, which is not nothing, but you are making it sound like a luxury. If you have fussy kids though I get why this could be difficult.

The larger issue which most "latte sect" vegans tend to ignore is that most of that poo poo takes a lot longer to prepare than disadvantaged people, who tend to work longer hours, have. The same applies to stay at home parents - caring for children is hard work, and soaking dried legumes while not the most difficult thing in the world is probably not as attractive a proposition vs meat + jar + pasta/rice.

I know these hurdles are not insurmountable, and it is possible to eat cleanly and ethically on a budget; but until governments or other bodies are willing to educate disadvantaged people on this they're going to keep eating cheap processed meat and dairy until the literal cows come home.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Dude McAwesome posted:

Jesus loving wept. Is this Darebin Greens? Shouldn’t members just be voting for their preferred candidates prior to the byelection?

Alex went within what, half a percent of taking the seat last election?

Yeah, Kim LeCerf leading the charge to put Trent McCarthy on the ticket

Crikey are also suggesting it may partly be driven by an attempt from other state branches to cause friction in Victoria and weaken Di Natale

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Solemn Sloth posted:

Yeah, Kim LeCerf leading the charge to put Trent McCarthy on the ticket

Crikey are also suggesting it may partly be driven by an attempt from other state branches to cause friction in Victoria and weaken Di Natale

That name sounds familiar, did he run for council a few years back with LeCerf?

I’m not familiar with Greens inter-factional drama, what’s the end game there? To put forward their own state’s members for leadership?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

quote:

Here’s a remarkable story Trump now tells about the couple standing, with baby, next to Melania Trump:

We see a vivid expression of this truth in the story of the Holets family of New Mexico. Ryan Holets is 27 years old, and an officer with the Albuquerque Police Department. He is here tonight with his wife Rebecca. Last year, Ryan was on duty when he saw a pregnant, homeless woman preparing to inject heroin. When Ryan told her she was going to harm her unborn child, she began to weep. She told him she did not know where to turn, but badly wanted a safe home for her baby.

In that moment, Ryan said he felt God speak to him: “You will do it -- because you can.” He took out a picture of his wife and their four kids. Then, he went home to tell his wife Rebecca. In an instant, she agreed to adopt. The Holets named their new daughter Hope.

Ryan and Rebecca: You embody the goodness of our Nation. Thank you, and congratulations.

All kinds of applause for the story. It sounds more earnest, if applause can. Trump thanks Ryan and Rebecca again.

Baby saved, no mention of the mother afterwards. America.txt

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Bonus points for people hearing God speak to them

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Dude McAwesome posted:

That name sounds familiar, did he run for council a few years back with LeCerf?

I’m not familiar with Greens inter-factional drama, what’s the end game there? To put forward their own state’s members for leadership?

Current sitting councillor on Kim’s ticket

I’m not sure there is an end game beyond someone watched game of thrones and really liked the “chaos is a ladder” bit

I wouldn’t be surprised if there was resentment that Victoria has taken over from Tasmania as the crown jewel of the party, particularly from people in NSW who think it should have been them

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Don Dongington posted:

The larger issue which most "latte sect" vegans tend to ignore is that most of that poo poo takes a lot longer to prepare than disadvantaged people, who tend to work longer hours, have. The same applies to stay at home parents - caring for children is hard work, and soaking dried legumes while not the most difficult thing in the world is probably not as attractive a proposition vs meat + jar + pasta/rice.

I know these hurdles are not insurmountable, and it is possible to eat cleanly and ethically on a budget; but until governments or other bodies are willing to educate disadvantaged people on this they're going to keep eating cheap processed meat and dairy until the literal cows come home.

Legumes don't just come dried, for example you can buy lentils in cans. One of my main sources of protein is tofu which, fried with vegetables in a wok, takes less than half an hour. You don't have to be an artisanal chef to make vegetarian dishes.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
I assure you that qld is not meddling in any other states preselection process, and we are very disappointed that you would even ask.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Nothing is showing up on Trove's newspaper archive search, other than mentions of his yachting and then the Clean Up Australia thing. Likewise with Google. Roughly when did this go down?

It's not just me who remembers but you have to be old enough to remember current affairs from the early eighties. I once again have to re-emphasis my original post where I point out I have been looking for web material in vain for at least ten years.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Don Dongington posted:

This is horseshit. I've wound making vegetarian and healthy dinners (like chicken/fish/vege tacos, rich and real salads, stuffed mushrooms, whatever) that taste awesome down to a fine, 15 minute art and I make double so I also have lunch. Meat + jar + pasta/rice can easily be mushroom or whatever and simple home made sauce, rather than a bottle of overpriced garbage sauce. You even said it yourself, caring for kids is hard so they can't be hosed doing a 10 second task to prep a meal. If I can regularly leave home at 7:30am, then get home from my day at 9pm and have something decent ready to eat by 9:20, there is no reason anyone can't do it outside of "can't be hosed" which is unacceptable (I still can't be hosed sometimes) and "don't know how" which is a macro problem and the one that should be addressed.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

If working class immigrant families with five hundred loving children screaming in a deafening cacophony can off the cuff invite me in to eat a delicious and nutritious feast on a Tuesday night, then fat old whitey can make an effort.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
effort is hard and sucks though

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

GoldStandardConure posted:

effort is hard and sucks though

*adjusts enormous steel belt buckle of a tomato being lassoed*

I can stuff and eat a vegetarian field mushroom delight in under 15 minutes flat you pansy rear end white boomer shits.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

JBP posted:

I can stuff and eat a vegetarian field mushroom delight in under 15 minutes flat you pansy rear end white boomer shits.

mushrooms are garbage though

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Birdstrike posted:

mushrooms are garbage though

This is the worst opinion in any Auspol thread.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

JBP posted:

yeah but why do that when I can order a giant burger via uber eats

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Cartoon posted:

I once again have to re-emphasis my original post where I point out I have been looking for web material in vain for at least ten years.

We heard you the first time genius, it does not an argument make

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

GoldStandardConure posted:

yeah but why do that when I can order a giant burger via uber eats

Because it costs $4.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Unrelated to thread, but I'm trying to start a vintage computer museum, like, the kind that will be open to the public and will bore the pants out of schoolchildren on field trips. Anyone interested in donating hardware should please contact me via FB or PM. You get a plaque in your honour next to the exhibit of whatever you donate. Anyone interested in donating cash or expertise please wait until I've got the NGO registered, which will probably take me about four years.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

JBP posted:

Because it costs $4.

yes but that's not nearly as exciting as spending & eating yourself into an early grave

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Cartoon posted:

It's not just me who remembers but you have to be old enough to remember current affairs from the early eighties. I once again have to re-emphasis my original post where I point out I have been looking for web material in vain for at least ten years.

Yeah, that's a few years before my time. I do find the idea that certain front pages wouldn't get indexed by Trove a bit difficult to believe though. He got his Australian of the Year the next year too, which would mean either very short memory or no shits given by the government of the day (not unbelievable).

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

It certainly isn't NSW, we're basically completely dead in the water now. I don't even know what's going on with the infighting, apparently everyone just gave up and left or just gave up period?

I do know that there was a (failed) attempt to deselect Jordon Steele-John in WA in favour of a literal party hack, though. Thankfully he got back in by ~10%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Yeah, that's a few years before my time. I do find the idea that certain front pages wouldn't get indexed by Trove a bit difficult to believe though. He got his Australian of the Year the next year too, which would mean either very short memory or no shits given by the government of the day (not unbelievable).
The Australian of the year was 19 94. Which is after his 'revival'. I find not being able to find any poo poo on him frustrating as hell but it is at least somewhat telling that his wiki page has no specific mention of his professional activities between leaving school and the BOC challenge in 1987. 'Sailed competitively' and 'trained as a builder' are a pretty sparse resume for a young buck in their prime.

• Locked thread