Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

3 DONG HORSE posted:

The Federation is a democracy and has constitution so presumably if enough people agree, things will change. However, the reality is Section 31 shuts down all opposition and dissidents no matter how benign, which is why you see people fleeing the Federation en masse.
I don't think we do see them going en masse, but I do think that having all these Class M planets where people can go start their new societies while keeping most of the material culture of the old (if not the benefits of being able to go to live concerts and so on) is a solid relief valve. The "final frontier" and all that, at least until they run out of new planets and Yorktowns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

All the STO chat from two pages ago inspired me to pick up the game again after a year and a half. It’s cool that they paid Levar Burton enough cash to stand in a voiceover booth for a day, but why would they not at least make him an Admiral? I feel like my lumpy-headed greenhorn captain shouldn’t outrank a TNG officer. :thunk:

Because captains are cool dudes and admirals are jerks.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

All the STO chat from two pages ago inspired me to pick up the game again after a year and a half. It’s cool that they paid Levar Burton enough cash to stand in a voiceover booth for a day, but why would they not at least make him an Admiral? I feel like my lumpy-headed greenhorn captain shouldn’t outrank a TNG officer. :thunk:

Turned out Starfleet had its own #MeToo movement, and unfortunately Geordi never kicked his issues with the holodeck.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Nessus posted:

I don't think we do see them going en masse, but I do think that having all these Class M planets where people can go start their new societies while keeping most of the material culture of the old (if not the benefits of being able to go to live concerts and so on) is a solid relief valve. The "final frontier" and all that, at least until they run out of new planets and Yorktowns.

I'm pretty sure I've heard it mentioned that some of those people were simply attracted to the challenge of starting up a brand new society on a brand new planet.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Angry Salami posted:

Because captains are cool dudes and admirals are jerks.

Not necessarily. Tom Paris and Harry Kim are both captains in STO, but Tuvok made admiral.

Max out your Federation rep in the admiralty system and you get Harry Kim and his ship to boss around!

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jan 31, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There's that one good admiral, the one who works with Sisko and was Carl Winslow's incompetent boss on Family Matters

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Al Borland Corp. posted:

There's that one good admiral, the one who works with Sisko and was Carl Winslow's incompetent boss on Family Matters

Barry Jenner as Admiral Ross. He was also on Dallas.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
wrong thread but here's a thing to hate:

The Bloop fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 31, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Eh, Ross was working with Section 31 so he has his limits.

Best admiral was the guy in charge of Starfleet Security from The Drumhead. Not only did Picard's speech work on him, he just got up and left in the middle of the trial because he was tired of the mean lady's bullshit.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I always thought he would betray Sisko because of the way his ancestor treated Winslow, but he never did.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

The Bloop posted:

wrong thread but here's a thing to hate:

I’ll be honest I kind of like that. Reminds me of the ship from Mass Effect

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

skasion posted:

I’ll be honest I kind of like that. Reminds me of the ship from Mass Effect

It's also just a slight tweak of the canon Prometheus class.

If we're poking fun at Star Trek Online ships again, here's a few more.

Federation: Eclipse class.

Klingons: Durgath class.

Romulans: Laeosa class.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Best admiral was the guy in charge of Starfleet Security from The Drumhead. Not only did Picard's speech work on him, he just got up and left in the middle of the trial because he was tired of the mean lady's bullshit.

This might be the only "good" admiral we ever see.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Ya caught me. I guess I need to catch some of it.

I guess I feel that that is my least favorite aspect of Star Trek. I think that the belief that religion is gone means that there is an entire aspect of modern society that Trek can't touch. Plus there's the assertion that science and religious thinking are incompatible is problematic and old thinking in my mind.

Babylon 5 has, as usual, a much more realistic approach. Religion is still around, even in some of the same forms as today, e.g. Judaism and Christianity, but while their adherents are devout, they are few. But humans and aliens alike, with different faiths and no faith, are presented sympathetically for the most part and the show does not have an axe to grind.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Somehow a representative of every loving human religion all happen to be on this fairly small Babylon 5 station.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
Infinite diversity in infinite combinations. Jews and Catholics need not apply

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Somehow a representative of every loving human religion all happen to be on this fairly small Babylon 5 station.

Sinclair just slipped a bunch of brown sector lurkers a few credits each to dress up and stand in a row for five minutes.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I didn't say it was realisti- oh crap, that's what I said. Well I meant in a general sense.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

Infinite diversity in infinite combinations. Jews and Catholics need not apply
You mean there are religions other than Protestant Christianity, Roman Catholicism, and Judaism?

Cockmaster posted:

I'm pretty sure I've heard it mentioned that some of those people were simply attracted to the challenge of starting up a brand new society on a brand new planet.
Yeah that's probably legit too. I half expect the reason the Dominion expected the Federation to be big-dick players in a few hundred years is all those semi-virgin isolated planets that would probably naturally increase in size and power and oh look they're an industrial juggernaut.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Nessus posted:

Yeah that's probably legit too. I half expect the reason the Dominion expected the Federation to be big-dick players in a few hundred years is all those semi-virgin isolated planets that would probably naturally increase in size and power and oh look they're an industrial juggernaut.

I think another part of it is the Dominion being worried about what the Federation would look like if it seriously decided to become a militaristic power. The Federation more or less dominates the Alpha Quadrant with a tiny military relative to the Federation's size and population, and most of their ships are primarily designed for purposes other than combat. Now imagine what could happen if the Federation as a whole decided that the best path to peace was through military conquest, and started enlisting more than one half of one percent of its population in the military.

We have the Defiant and Prometheus as two examples of what Starfleet can cook up in times of crisis, and God knows how many experimental superweapons and other bits of military technology they either have on the shelf somewhere or know about but have chosen not to pursue. I think the Dominion assumed that the Federation would be as paranoid and pragmatic as the Dominion is, and the prospect of the Federation going that way is understandably terrifying.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I mean it's a hundred thousand humans drawn from across the whole population of humanity, so it doesn't seem unreasonable there'd be a shitton of different churches aboard.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 31, 2018

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cythereal posted:

I think another part of it is the Dominion being worried about what the Federation would look like if it seriously decided to become a militaristic power. The Federation more or less dominates the Alpha Quadrant with a tiny military relative to the Federation's size and population, and most of their ships are primarily designed for purposes other than combat. Now imagine what could happen if the Federation as a whole decided that the best path to peace was through military conquest, and started enlisting more than one half of one percent of its population in the military.

We have the Defiant and Prometheus as two examples of what Starfleet can cook up in times of crisis, and God knows how many experimental superweapons and other bits of military technology they either have on the shelf somewhere or know about but have chosen not to pursue. I think the Dominion assumed that the Federation would be as paranoid and pragmatic as the Dominion is, and the prospect of the Federation going that way is understandably terrifying.

Plus there's the fact that the Federation has waved off countless numbers of what were extinction events to other races in a single Enterprise captain's log. Looking a list of things that the Federation has survived would be terrifying; these people are clearly more than they seem.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

MikeJF posted:

Plus there's the fact that the Federation has waved off countless numbers of what were extinction events to other races in a single Enterprise captain's log. Looking a list of things that the Federation has survived would be terrifying; these people are clearly more than they seem.

Klingons have their moon explode? Oh no, time to sue for peace. Humans getting their poo poo hosed by weird alien probe thirsty for hot wet humpback whale action? Beep beep Richie, we’re breaking physics to score us some whales!

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009

Cythereal posted:

These are good points, they are now incorporated into my head canon. Thanks! :tipshat:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

WampaLord posted:

This might be the only "good" admiral we ever see.

And as I recall he doesn't have a single line of dialogue, hmm.

MikeJF posted:

I'd love to see the Dominion's response to like, the giant space amoeba.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
So I’ve been working through my movie backlog and tonight’s film is Krull. Never seen it before, looks kind of cool. The main character’s kind of a doofus, though.

But his voice is so familiar, I just can’t shake that I’ve heard it before somewhere.

Wait.

oh my god

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I saw young Eddington in something else recently, it might have been Baywatch or Baywatch Nights.

...don't look at me like that, I'm watching a review series that makes fun of it!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Big Mean Jerk posted:

So I’ve been working through my movie backlog and tonight’s film is Krull. Never seen it before, looks kind of cool. The main character’s kind of a doofus, though.

But his voice is so familiar, I just can’t shake that I’ve heard it before somewhere.

Wait.

oh my god

My god, I've seen Krull a few times but I've never made this connection.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The score is by James Horner too, one year after Khan. Lots of very similar motifs.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The score is by James Horner too, one year after Khan. Lots of very similar motifs.

James Horner basically wrote the same score over and over.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

dont even fink about it posted:

James Horner basically wrote the same score over and over.

It was a really good score though. If you're gonna self-plagiarize, might as well be from an A paper.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I’ve always thought his Apollo 13 score was sufficiently different from everything else.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I sometimes get confused if I'm watching Aliens or TWOK.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

bull3964 posted:

I sometimes get confused if I'm watching Aliens or TWOK.

One has horrific parasitic bugs that will haunt your nightmares and the other is Aliens.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’ve always thought his Apollo 13 score was sufficiently different from everything else.

Prepare to be disappointed.

https://youtu.be/YAIIdW62Cjk

I have to say though, that one starts with a new match to TWOK that I wasn't aware of before.

Bonus compilation of his "danger theme"
https://youtu.be/V8KxvE6PLKs

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jan 31, 2018

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

McSpanky posted:

It was a really good score though. If you're gonna self-plagiarize, might as well be from an A paper.

It loses some of its charm where you hear the exact same melodies 10 and even 20 years later. This is even more damning than the other one posted above:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAIIdW62Cjk

I'm getting sick of the Nolan2Zimmer connection, but at least Zimmer didn't write his last piece of music in 1986. That being said, TWOK and Aliens are pretty much my two favorite scores ever.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Daym, young Eddington had it going on.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jan 31, 2018

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

bull3964 posted:

Prepare to be disappointed.

https://youtu.be/YAIIdW62Cjk

I have to say though, that one starts with a new match to TWOK that I wasn't aware of before.

Bonus compilation of his "danger theme"
https://youtu.be/V8KxvE6PLKs

Goddamn, the man is terrified of the brass section.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Looks like Tom Paris’s brother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Reset Smith posted:

These are good points, they are now incorporated into my head canon. Thanks! :tipshat:

That's what seems to be the case for a lot of bad guys in Star Trek to me, especially the more devious-minded ones like the Dominion, Romulans, and Cardassians. They take a look at the Federation and assume they must be up to something horrifying, because after all, they would be up to something horrifying. They see the near-total absence of devious plots to conquer the galaxy as proof that there must be devious plots to conquer the galaxy, they're just extremely deceptive and good at hiding. Because they are, and they just don't seem to get or accept that no, the Federation really is as peaceful and friendly as it looks.