Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

If I go anywhere it would be Baltimore.

Embrace the purple side

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

The Ravens are gonna break your heart too. You sure you don't want to just relax and ride the upswing of the Went dynasty?

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
gently caress alex smith

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

The Ravens are gonna break your heart too. You sure you don't want to just relax and ride the upswing of the Went dynasty?

Baltimore can't break what is already shattered.

I still have to look my wife in the eye. She's a Giants fan.

Also crabcakes >>>>>>> cheesesteaks.

Don't get me wrong, cheesesteaks are amazing.

But motherfucking crabcakes.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
lol holy gently caress imagine trading a 2nd round pick (or more) for a 34 year-old Alex Smith while simultaneously tossing away your 29 year-old QB with a higher career passer rating

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Isn't Alex Smith just a poor man's Kirk Cousins?

Hell they probably could have gotten Super Bowl QB Nick Foles for a 2nd, and he's 4 years younger than Smith.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

NotWearingPants posted:

Isn't Alex Smith just a poor man's Kirk Cousins?

No

They aren't close at all in terms of what you get and the style of play

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
how exactly does alex smith work in washington's scheme

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

corn on the cop posted:

how exactly does alex smith work in washington's scheme

It's a perfect match. He spends four years getting them high draft picks so they can throw them away.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/958541385589805057

Sure, why the gently caress not.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Sorry to interrupt this discussion about the Redskins' new franchise QB, but I came here to post this somewhat interesting anecdote from The Athletic's weekly Q&A with Joe Banner about drafting Nick Foles:

quote:

Banks: Your final draft with the Eagles was in 2012, the year they picked Nick Foles in the third round. That day did you think you were taking a guy who could one day start a Super Bowl for Philadelphia?

Banner: Here’s a little interesting story around that. We actually went into that draft with a high priority to draft Russell Wilson (out of Wisconsin). We were going to take him in the third round and we thought we could get him there. And when he got picked (by Seattle at No. 75, 13 picks before Philly’s third-round pick at No. 88), obviously we had other quarterbacks on the board in that range. But there was really not a whole lot of time spent figuring out who was our second guy because we were so sure Wilson would be there and that’s the guy we wanted.

So now we’re scrambling a little bit, and we had four or five names up on the board, discussing their strengths and weaknesses, re-reading the scouting reports, asking some of the coaches who had viewed them to come into the draft room and kind of tell us what they thought. But now we’re getting very close to our pick and we’ve had all this discussion. And (head coach) Andy Reid just suddenly got up from his seat and he walked up to the board where we had all the cards for everybody and without really saying anything out loud, he grabbed the Nick Foles card and he flipped to the guy who was on the phone to New York to report the pick, and he said, “This is the pick.’’

Andy said: “We planned on taking a quarterback. I really like this guy. Let’s pick the quarterback. Just give the name.’’ That was it. There was no more discussion, and then we picked Nick Foles, and he’s had this interesting up-and-down career and now he’s starting a Super Bowl game. But we were not planning on picking Nick Foles.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Alex Smith is pretty good and maybe unlike Cousins he won't make the mistake of rejecting Dan Snyder's drunk advances at the Christmas party

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
alex smith is an aging game manager who doesn't fit washington's offense and becomes unnerved when the game doesn't go exactly to script

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I meant he is pretty good........for the cowboys!

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
Andy Reid teams have never traded a QB that went on to sustained success on another team, so it's due to work out this time.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Andy Reid is loving amazing.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Why have a slightly above average 29-year-old QB when you can lose a draft pick and have a slightly above average 34-year-old QB!

Dear god.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Quiet Feet posted:

Why have a slightly above average 29-year-old QB when you can lose a draft pick and have a slightly above average 34-year-old QB!

Dear god.

Lose a draft pick and a player.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
https://twitter.com/ByMikeJones/status/958557960405471235

This is the dumbest front office.

EDIT:

https://twitter.com/KeFu11er/status/958567846459658245

The. loving. Worst.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jan 31, 2018

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

This owns.

Also, for knowing that you definitely pissed away the chance at keeping Kirk because you dicked him around for years, a team could do worse than Alex Smith.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

He's also still on his rookie deal and under contract for the next 2 years at under $1 mill a year

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

a new study bible! posted:

This owns.

Also, for knowing that you definitely pissed away the chance at keeping Kirk because you dicked him around for years, a team could do worse than Alex Smith.

Yeah I get that Smith isn't a total waste, but he's also not really someone you build a team around. If he was KC wouldn't have treated him the way they did. He's definitely not someone who's so good that you trade away a promising young CB for.

Washington hosed themselves with the Cousins thing, and Reid just hosed them some more.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Washington could trade him to the Browns and just punt on the season.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Kinda sad when I woke up this morning and read the thread and the final deal ended up being a 3rd and a player instead of a 2nd. And not even for some inter-divisional rivalry bullshit.

Smith would have been the second age 33 (34 during the season) quarterback on an Andy Reid team that was traded to Washington for a 2nd round pick. It would have been perfect.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Washington hosed themselves with the Cousins thing, and Reid just hosed them some more.

Will it work out better than the last time Reid traded them a QB? Before you answer, note that the Redskins were able to trade McNabb for the 6th round pick they used to acquire Alfred Morris.

And what did the Eagles end up with that time?

quote:

When all was said and done and the picks were used and/or traded, the Eagles got safety Nate Allen, linebacker Casey Matthews, linebacker DeMeco Ryans and quarterback Nick Foles in exchange for McNabb.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

NotWearingPants posted:

Will it work out better than the last time Reid traded them a QB? Before you answer, note that the Redskins were able to trade McNabb for the 6th round pick they used to acquire Alfred Morris.

Only one of which is still on the team...and only by odd chance

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

NotWearingPants posted:

Will it work out better than McNabb? Probably. I don't think it's going to matter. Clearly Reid sees a player on the decline who can be replaced by youth, meanwhile the Redskins are sacrificing that youth in order to get someone milquetoast at best.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

CyberPingu posted:

Only one of which is still on the team...and only by odd chance

Yeah, well that trade was around 8 years ago. Foles, who was drafted a year or two later is 29 years old now.

But yeah, I was pointing that out more as an interesting trivia/coincidence thing, not as an argument that the Eagles' current success can be attributed to that trade.

Another kind of interesting thing relating to the Joe Banner story above, when the Eagles were scrambling with their QB index cards after Russell Wilson was taken, one of the other names on those cards was surely Kirk Cousins who was the next QB taken after Nick Foles in that draft.

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jan 31, 2018

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

NotWearingPants posted:

Yeah, well that trade was around 8 years ago.

Bloody hell....

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Please stop with all the doom and gloom chat about the trade.

Did we get hosed over a bit yeah. But we all saw this coming.

I'll take Alex Smith and let's loving roll.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

No. Doom & gloom is funny because Your bullshit owner hosed himself out of retaining Cousins and paid the price for an old stop gap.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Seriously

we're talking about an organization that publicly poo poo on the guy and called him by the wrong name in press interviews while forcing him to stay in Washington and play under the franchise tag

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

I try to avoid hearing about this team at all and Cousins' contract was loving that up.

A boring QB will put them in the cellar and I don't have to worry about them taking up too many night games.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

A Man and his dog posted:

Please stop with all the doom and gloom chat about the trade.

Did we get hosed over a bit yeah. But we all saw this coming.

I'll take Alex Smith and let's loving roll.

No. They hosed up bad and its really funny

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

This is a pretty good article breaking down how the Alex Smith trade changes things.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22271779/winners-losers-alex-smith-trade-kansas-city-chiefs-washington-redskins-2018-nfl-offseason

quote:

Cousins is about to become the highest-paid player in the history of the NFL, and the numbers are going to be staggering. This kind of opportunity -- the ability to acquire a franchise quarterback in his prime without having to give up a draft pick -- comes around once in a generation. The last guy who really came close was Drew Brees in 2006, and even then he was coming off of a torn labrum in his throwing shoulder (which famously led the Dolphins to pass on Brees, pushing him to the Saints). Peyton Manning was 36 and coming off of multiple neck surgeries in 2012. Cousins isn't a Hall of Famer, but he's healthier than both those guys were. This simply does not happen.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Jackie D posted:

No. They hosed up bad and its really funny bitching about it is cathartic

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Mike Tanier had a good point today--Washington drafted 2 QBs in 2012, went to the playoffs with both, and in 2018 will be starting neither of them

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I guess in retrospect, the Redskins should have traded Cousins to the Rams for Sam Bradford.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TheChirurgeon posted:

Mike Tanier had a good point today--Washington drafted 2 QBs in 2012, went to the playoffs with both, and in 2018 will be starting neither of them

During the Snyder era Washington has had three rookie QBs that started for three or more years. Those QBs are Jason Campbell (45 starts, 2007-2009), Robert Griffin III (35 starts, 2012-2014), and Kirk Cousins (57 starts, 2012-2017). The Redskins put more time and effort into developing Cousins than they have any other quarterback, they started him more than any other QB in the Snyder era, and now he's going to walk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

and now he's being acrimoniously forced out of the organization

ftfy

• Locked thread