Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Thanqol posted:

I assume that this naturally means that there's a Magnus with giant bug wings on his workbench.

I'm reminded of the Simpsons.

'You've ruined a perfectly good Primarch!'

'Incorrect Marge, two perfectly good Primarchs'

(Conversion looks sick af though, nice work)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
I had a great game last night trying out a Tyranid gunline. After playing mostly with very mobile Jormungandr and Kraken lists since the new codex, I thought it was past time to try out a pure Kronos list. Especially as the colour scheme for it is nearly identical to the one I've been using for nearly 10 years.

Battalion
2 x Neurothrope (one as Warlord with Soul Hunger)
3 x 3 Rippers
Battalion
2 x Broodlord
1 x 3 Rippers
1 x 14 Genestealers
1 x 28 Termagants (19 Devourers)
Vanguard
1 x Malanthrope
1 x 6 Hive Guard (Impaler Cannon)
1 x 3 Hive Guard (Impaler Cannon)
1 x 6 Hive Guard (Shock Cannon)
1 x 6 Zoanthropes

My opponent had a fantastically painted Word Bearers army full of FW models normally used for 30k. He's also a good player; the last time I played him at the start of 8th he tabled my MC-based list by turn 3 with stacks of lascannons.

We went with open war cards, getting a quite close deployment, an objective to kill the most PL by the end of turn 5, and a twist that gave every model +1A. Not bad for his two huge cultist gangs or for my 'stealers.

As I had almost no chance of going first, I kept back the Genestealers and most of the Rippers in reserve and made a point of mentioning that brood node counters are removed if he can get within 9".

That quickly paid off, as he started his first turn by moving the Xipon to delete two nodes, ensuring my multiple Smites would be able to hit that rather than the cultists. He tried to remove the others by dropping a Sorcerer & Terminators and using Warptime despite my warlord trait. I jumped at the chance to use Deepest Shadow, causing him to automatically fail the psychic test and take 3 mortal wounds from Soul Hunger. Realising that the deep strike hadn't gone quite to plan and that it would shortly be overrun by Genestealers, he went for broke by trying a Smite to take my Zoans below max strength. SitW caused him to fail that roll, and the Sorcerer's head promptly exploded. Good start.
A frustrating shooting phase followed for him, as he tried to neuter the Smite potential of the Zoanthropes but only felled one of them plus a few gaunts.
As the bulk of my army pushed forward, Genestealers arrived to contain the Terminators. Rippers arrived to road-block the advance of a Rhino and screen Hive Guard from assault. The Xiphon was met with a barrage of Smite, exploding in the middle of my army and inflicting more damage than his previous shooting phase (including finishing off a Neurothrope that had just rolled Perils). Onslaught allowed the shock cannon Hive Guard to squeak within range of the Spartan, and rained down mortal wounds with Single-Minded Annhilation to strip most of its 20 starting wounds and fully degrade it. I didn't take the risky 10" charge with the Genestealers, keeping them back to avoid losing critical mass to overwatch for nothing.

He responded with much more accurate firepower in turn 2, focusing down more gaunts, Zoans and Rippers. Catalyst allowed the shock cannon Hive Guard to retain 2 models from a brood that rightfully should have been wiped out. The Terminators slammed into a Ripper screen, wiping them out and consolidating into both impaler cannon broods. The depleted cultists made a charge on the gaunts, but came off worse thanks to needing to take a morale check.
Rather than fall back and waste the bulk of my firepower, I shuffled units to ensure all possible Smites could hit the Terminators with the Genestealers as a plan B. Luckily all it took was a Psychic Scream and single Smite from the Zoanthropes to release my gunline. The surviving shockcannons easily finished off the Spartan, while impaler cannons rained down on the Rhino and Deredeo dread. A Broodlord mopped up the cultists in the centre, and suddenly the game looked quite one-sided.

His third turn was quite short, with just a Dark Apostle, 2 marine and 1 cultist squad left. They succeeded in clawing back some PL by wiping out the Rippers and Hive Guard, but made the mistake of consolidating into my Malanthrope who promptly dissolved three marines. It wasn't really going to get any better for the Word Bearers after that. More smites eliminated the charging marines, leaving the Apostle to be eaten by a Broodlord with seven(!) attacks. The other Cultist squad began to flee beneath a barrage of impaler cannons, while my Genestealers moved to consume the final marine squad.

I can't believe how effective a Tyranid gunline is. I've played against IG and Tau armies that put out less firepower than this. That combined with the amazing psychic output, anti-psyker defense and counter-attacking options from Genestealers and Broodlords made this one of my favourite lists since the codex. Guess it's time to make the most of it before a bunch of Hive Guard point nerfs show up...

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:

Liquid Communism posted:

I'm thinking of them as a Dark Angels heavy support detachment alongside my Wolves, so needs to make up 3 squads. It wouldn't be that much more expensive to make them bigger squads, though.

If you're just looking to fill HS slots, you can always run two minimum sized Devastator Squads without any special weapons, just regular filler marines. That's 65 pts each.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Warhammer Community asking the important questions: which is the best Nurgling?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Corrode posted:

Its #1 for a reason.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Corrode posted:

Obviously #1, although #12 and his booger stick are a close second.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Perfect Timeline: Instead of releasing new units for Chaos, GW releases the Bag of Nurglings, a mystery box of random assorted new and old nurglings.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
#13. He's just so happy!

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Thanqol posted:

I assume that this naturally means that there's a Magnus with giant bug wings on his workbench.

Nope. Somehow found someone who was thinking of giving Magnus a jetpack and bought the wings off of him.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

GET INTO DA CHOPPA posted:

If you're just looking to fill HS slots, you can always run two minimum sized Devastator Squads without any special weapons, just regular filler marines. That's 65 pts each.

I'm trying to stay all Primaris for this army. If I could, I'd run Long Fangs, but they don't exist as Primaris yet.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I still find the concept of Primaris marines amusing, both in the "Super Super marines!" sense and that they're basically a way to sculpt proportionally balanced marines while keeping old marines canon.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
X-posting from the Keep Painting thread.

Groetgaffel posted:

Another dent made in my shamefully huge backlog! :toot:

More pictures here.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Drive me closer!

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Waving swords around is a proud IG tank commander tradition.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dorn has a model now. He seems quite placid about the whole affair.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/01/31/forge-world-preview-rogal-dorn-revealed/

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Irate Tree posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/01/31/forge-world-preview-rogal-dorn-revealed/

oh gently caress yes

FW take my money

Gonna have to learn to paint properly to do him justice

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Irate Tree posted:

Props to Forgeworld for managing to produce an even more boring pose than 30K Gulliman.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Milotic posted:

Props to Forgeworld for managing to produce an even more boring pose than 30K Gulliman.

I dunno. I like the whole "holy warrior looking out across the bleak wasteland" look they were going for.
It's very reserved but I like that. He doesn't rush to the enemy to meet his end. The enemy must end themselves on him.

Girlyman is boring though, yeah.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Milotic posted:

seriously

but fitting for the most boring primarch

e: literally the only character trait that dude is known for is being Real Housewives-level "honest" with the people around him, i.e. an rear end in a top hat

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I can't put my finger on why but he feels very anime to me.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Milotic posted:

Its kinda boring/solemn which I think works for rogy d.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Irate Tree posted:

Wow how incredibly boring. Idk why they can’t just look at the 40k primarch kits and just rip of their styling. The 40k Guilliman model is just so much more interesting

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pendent posted:

I can't put my finger on why but he feels very anime to me.
Impossible. His chainsword should have been at least twice as big.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Felt a sick urge to read Dakka for a bit. Even in a thread discussing 4th ed, superheavy tank guy just can't help himself:

quote:

Guard Armoured Company was strong too, but too expensive to compete at the highest levels. Much like my 3-superheavy tank list is now: it was "meta defining" for casuals while being cripplingly underequipped for competitive play.

He's the gift who keeps on giving.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Irate Tree posted:

He doesn't rush to the enemy to meet his end. The enemy must end themselves on him.

CoughIronCagecough

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Hencoe posted:

CoughIronCagecough

they should have gone with a model of him covered in blood and filth screaming impotently at the walls of a fortress he failed to destroy

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hencoe posted:

CoughIronCagecough

That took place after Big E copped it, though, didn't it? My comprehension of THE PROTAGONIST FACTION stopped around the same time I dropped my Blood Angels.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
As usual you guys are way to harsh on a decent model.

Anyway, whoever has also been spending a lot of time on Beer4theBeerGod's spreadsheet I appreciate your efforts. I went a head and started a tab just for Marines since I noticed the man tab was getting crowded, and someone was kind enough to fill in Aggressors and Inceptors for me.

It really highlights how bad tacticals are...I don't know what I am going to do with all mine once I've phased them out.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I bought every codex so at some point I'll probably sit down and hammer out tabs for each unit.

I added the Aggressor stuff. It's fun to do the math.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I like the Dorn model.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I bought every codex so at some point I'll probably sit down and hammer out tabs for each unit.

I added the Aggressor stuff. It's fun to do the math.

I can probably work on Tyranids and Tau when they come out. There is one thing I have not figured out how to represent, which is rerolls to wound on things like rending claws. The difference the reroll can have is quite dramatic, a tyrant goes from wounding a landraider on 1/3 of successful hits to 1/3 + (2/3*1/3) = 5/9 with rending claws making str 6 + reroll wounds better then being strength 8!

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Corrode posted:

Strong offerings from Grenade and Singing but obviously Sassy takes the crown.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

R0ckfish posted:

I can probably work on Tyranids and Tau when they come out. There is one thing I have not figured out how to represent, which is rerolls to wound on things like rending claws. The difference the reroll can have is quite dramatic, a tyrant goes from wounding a landraider on 1/3 of successful hits to 1/3 + (2/3*1/3) = 5/9 with rending claws making str 6 + reroll wounds better then being strength 8!

Yeah I need to work on the math. I suspect that it can be done dynamically.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

glitchkrieg posted:

Strong offerings from Grenade and Singing but obviously Sassy takes the crown.

No love for Drone and his tiny fly?

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Does anyone play in the Philly area?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
30k Dorn and BG are both great. If I was a smurf player I would play the 30k model hands down over Skinny McTorchfoot.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Uroboros posted:

As usual you guys are way to harsh on a decent model.
It is a really good model. I was iffy on the face, but, as usual, the 360 view was much better than the picture. The details are fantastic and while the pose is fitting, it is rather static, but that's just the character. My only problem with the model is that his chainsword is too small. Its original rules had it as an unwieldy weapon for some reason. That got replaced by a 30k rule called Reaping Blow that gives -1I for +1A. That's on top of AP2, Rampage, and Shred. It's a loving bonkers chainsword and should've been bigger. :reject:

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Eifert Posting posted:

30k Dorn and BG are both great. If I was a smurf player I would play the 30k model hands down over Skinny McTorchfoot.

:same:

40k Guilliman is one of the worst examples of New GW's recent overdetailing trend.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

No you see there's a good reason for why the 40k Bobby G looks that way.

Cawl was charging per detail when he constructed that armour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

R0ckfish posted:

Same way you do all modifiers surely? *(1+rerolls)

Like the cumulative modifier for my chapter master and Lt is 1+1/3+1/6+1/3*1/6=~1.55, but with the reroll all wounds always being (1 - To Wound) for the rending claws.