Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Apologies for interrupting actual game chat, but I was curious where Tau story/lore currently is? Last time I checked during the GW Dark Age they seemed obsessed with giving them really sloppy pointless grimdark aspects, which alienated me from them.

I dont mind them being flawed, but it seems real stupid to make them randomly sterilize people and be Space Racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Are you allowed to use a stratagem more than once? Or are they once per battle limits? I forgot that the Eldar Start Collecting Kit came with a Wraithlord and was thinking of webwaying him in to stomp some stuff with a Warlock & Wraithguard.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Once per phase.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Zasze posted:

This with some decent LOS terrain makes the game alot more fun imo, anything that breaks LOS and encourages moving and splitting forces to chase objectives dramatically increases my enjoyment of the game. Most tourneys have this weird need to have really open boards that I dont understand.

IIRC that's one of the things that NOVA tries to emphasize.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Zuul the Cat posted:

Are you allowed to use a stratagem more than once? Or are they once per battle limits? I forgot that the Eldar Start Collecting Kit came with a Wraithlord and was thinking of webwaying him in to stomp some stuff with a Warlock & Wraithguard.

One use per strategem per phase, meaning that you can use something like the re-roll strategem during the movement, psychic,shooting and assault phases in the same turn, but only once during each. This is for Match Play- for open or narrative you can do whatever.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Zuul the Cat posted:

Once per stratagem per phase, unless specifically stated - iirc the Webway one says once per game.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

Once per stratagem per phase, unless specifically stated - iirc the Webway one says once per game.

Oh that's a good point- strategems that are used before the game begins can be used as many times as you want unless otherwise stated, CP allowing of course. This includes stuff like the Raven Guard infiltrate strategem and the like.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Pendent posted:

Oh that's a good point- strategems that are used before the game begins can be used as many times as you want unless otherwise stated, CP allowing of course. This includes stuff like the Raven Guard infiltrate strategem and the like.

For relics that generate a CP off an opponent's spend (e.g. Kurov's Aquila), does that count for pre-game spending?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Schadenboner posted:

For relics that generate a CP off an opponent's spend, does that happen for pre-game spending?

For the most part for a relic or warlord trait like that the warlord has to be on the table, so no.

As an example, my Blood Angels have a relic called the Veritas Vitae. It's rules read : "If your army is Battle-forged and the bearer is on the battlefield roll a D6 each time you use a stratagem, on a 5+ you gain a Command Point"
The rules for the relic should specify the requirement though. I'll see if I can find the wording on Kurov's Aquila.

Edit 2: Huh. Kurov's Aquila doesn't actually specify that the bearer has to be on the table. I think this would come down to order of operations of when is the relic given to the character vs. when is the strategem played. In this case the relic is given before the game starts, while the Raven Guard infiltrate happens during deployment, meaning I think you may actually get the CP back. That could actually be sort of messy for strategems like Death Visions of Sanguinius that is also played before the game begins so I'm not sure this would be working as intended. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Pendent fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 30, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Neurolimal posted:

Apologies for interrupting actual game chat, but I was curious where Tau story/lore currently is? Last time I checked during the GW Dark Age they seemed obsessed with giving them really sloppy pointless grimdark aspects, which alienated me from them.

I dont mind them being flawed, but it seems real stupid to make them randomly sterilize people and be Space Racist.

The leader of the Tau Empire was killed by the Imperium. A council of Ethereals created a hologram of said leader to keep ostensibly leading the empire lest the regular people find out their leader was killed, while the council rules from the shadows.

Their new sphere of expansion was destroyed by ???.

They're still racist as hell, just they tell you it's for your own good. The Tau are an iron fist in a velvet glove kind of faction.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

The leader of the Tau Empire was killed by the Imperium. A council of Ethereals created a hologram of said leader to keep ostensibly leading the empire lest the regular people find out their leader was killed, while the council rules from the shadows.

Their new sphere of expansion was destroyed by ???.

They're still racist as hell, just they tell you it's for your own good. The Tau are an iron fist in a velvet glove kind of faction.

I didn't know their leader was killed. Where is this story at?

Also, one of their fleets or spheres or whatever was transported from their Tau Space to the other side of the galaxy cause of the Warp Rift.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Zuul the Cat posted:

I didn't know their leader was killed. Where is this story at?

Aun'Va got merc'd by a Culexus Assassin at the end of the War Zone Damocles campaign books. Chased out of his bunker and gutted like a fish. :black101:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Personally, I like the aspects of space-racism that would make sense for them, but become awkward on other races; it's makes sense for Tau to enforce rigid social castes with no method of advancement, because Tau castes outright are different races specialized towards one task or another. It creates a neat problem/flaw that is understandable and could be worked on within a story. Similarly, it makes sense for them to forcibly capture a stubborn planet that would be at risk of dying without them, even if the local population just see it as being claimed by a different empire.

"Non-tau are treated as subhuman with no say in local governance" just seems like adding bogstandard negatives for the hell of it. Especially when that makes no sense and would lead to failed integration on specialized planets (imagine a Tau government trying to tame the Kroot homeworld).

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Neurolimal posted:

Personally, I like the aspects of space-racism that would make sense for them, but become awkward on other races; it's makes sense for Tau to enforce rigid social castes with no method of advancement, because Tau castes outright are different races specialized towards one task or another. It creates a neat problem/flaw that is understandable and could be worked on within a story. Similarly, it makes sense for them to forcibly capture a stubborn planet that would be at risk of dying without them, even if the local population just see it as being claimed by a different empire.

"Non-tau are treated as subhuman with no say in local governance" just seems like adding bogstandard negatives for the hell of it. Especially when that makes no sense and would lead to failed integration on specialized planets (imagine a Tau government trying to tame the Kroot homeworld).

Kroot are mercenaries for the T'au, not the subjects of.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Anyone have any dark/pale green tyranid schemes? I want to paint my genestealer cults so that they roughly mesh with my death guard and I can field the neophyte hybrids as cultists when I feel like it.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Neurolimal posted:

That's kinda how it always was. I've never heard of a non Tau being in charge of anything. The minor races seem to only exist as warrior and labor roles. They're definitely a 'everyone is equal but some are more equal than others' kind of society.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I know that Ethereals are naturally above everyone in the empire (being a caste race evolved to be natural leaders & intellectuals of the overall race) has been a thing for a good while, but I don't recall "all tau are better off/more important than other races" being an old thing.

As an aside, catching up on story stuff, its nice that the "tau randomly sterilize humans" story seems to have been made sorta-non-canon, because that was pretty dumb.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Booyah- posted:

Anyone have any dark/pale green tyranid schemes? I want to paint my genestealer cults so that they roughly mesh with my death guard and I can field the neophyte hybrids as cultists when I feel like it.

These two are from the codex:

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

xtothez posted:

These two are from the codex:

Thanks, Gorgon is exactly what I had in mind!

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Pendent posted:

For the most part for a relic or warlord trait like that the warlord has to be on the table, so no.

Yeah, Kurov's Aquilla grants you the roll just by being in your list, it's the Grand Strategist warlord trait that requires you to be battle forged and have the model on the table. Per that wording if you have both you can't hide him in a Chimera and get CP back when you spend them but can gain CP when your opponent uses them.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

That's kinda how it always was. I've never heard of a non Tau being in charge of anything. The minor races seem to only exist as warrior and labor roles. They're definitely a 'everyone is equal but some are more equal than others' kind of society.

In Damocles there's an ex-inquisitor who's risen to the status of crisis suit pilot, so it definitely happens.

BurlapNapkin
Feb 11, 2013
I haven't really read any of their fiction, but was there a reason that the geriatric space-pope was leading frontier armies so far from the homeworld? Spoofing up some holograms to try and control morale sounds interesting, wish that part was reflected on the tabletop (assuming it's even the same space-pope, the one blurb I've got suggests that they rotate out pretty painlessly when they expire naturally).

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

Zuul the Cat posted:

Webway strike specifically only works once per battle - but when you use it you can pay one or three CP to get one or two units into deep strike.

Unfortunately wraithlords can’t use it - infantry or biker only. I can highly recommend webway striking with d-cannon wraithguard though.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Ah, yeah. Thanks for the clarification, guys. As of now the Wraithlord isn't in my list just yet, but when I use him, i'll just use him as a counter charger and to hold down objectives.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I finally got around to finishing up Mortarion and photographing him.

Click for huge(because trying to make it smaller ended up losing quality so yeah)

Let me know what you guys think.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Looks great. The wings really make a statement!

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Nice! I like the look of the feathered wings

BurlapNapkin
Feb 11, 2013
That is a very nice demon primarch you have there.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Those wings are perfect. Nice man.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Anyone have any thoughts on the merits of deploying genestealers in the genestealer buttholes?

I hate the idea of putting big units of them on the table on turn 1 only for them to get blown away when I inevitably lose initiative. You obviously lose your turn 1 charge if you get initiative but if you don't then you get:

– Less losses from alpha strikes, assuming (a) you've screened properly to prevent deep strikes and (b) you're not fighting an army with a ridiculous amount of high mobility units that can get within 9" of the buttholes on the first turn
– If you need to, you can use the stealers defensively to fight back against enemy units in your deployment zone following an alpha strike
– Can get your charge going on turn 2

You can then really take the heat off them for turn 2 if you can put down enough distraction units/tie up enough units in turn 1.

I'm playing a game vs. Deathwatch on Saturday to a guy that's only got 1 Corvus Blackstar and what I'm thinking of doing if I lose initiative is: Keep Swarmlord and rest of army out of LoS as much as possible T1 -> Weather shooting -> Sling Swarmlord up the board with Metabolic Overdrive -> Deep Strike 30 Gargoyles (keeping coherency with a line long enough to reach Swarm Lord), Trygon + Devilgaunts and Flyrant -> Onslaught + Catalyst on the Gargs and then send them charging in to his dudes with Hive Commander and tie up everything. THEN sling the genestealers up the board with a mix of Hive Commander and Opportunistic Advance.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I think Hellblasters work best as 10 man squads so you can maximize the benefits of the +1D stratagem, but you get the idea. Alternatively go cheap with a Lt and Intercessor Battalion and then add a ten man Hellblaster squad.

I'm thinking of them as a Dark Angels heavy support detachment alongside my Wolves, so needs to make up 3 squads. It wouldn't be that much more expensive to make them bigger squads, though.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Uroboros posted:

When you look at the dude's scores from each round its like half of Nick's who basically got max points nearly every time, it definitely highlights the difference in skill.

It's hard to get 40 points a round when your rounds only go to round 2.

Master Twig posted:

One thing I've been seeing, particularly from seeing LVO results is that a lot of games are not finishing in the time frame. Games in 8th edition at release seemed to be quicker, but these days with all the options and strategems, it's not the case. The standard points went from 1850 to 2000 when 8th dropped. I think it's time to drop it back down. Maybe even to 1750.

This would also help cut down on lists with 3 superheavies.

The game is super slow right now. All the chaff and high model counts. A points drop or a time increase would be huge.

Zuul the Cat posted:

Stratagems are once per phase but pregame stuff can be done multiple times.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Liquid Communism posted:

I'm thinking of them as a Dark Angels heavy support detachment alongside my Wolves, so needs to make up 3 squads. It wouldn't be that much more expensive to make them bigger squads, though.

Technically you only really need one squad to be ten guys. So fielding a ten man and two five men squads would be viable.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Worth thinking on. I've got a line in with my FLGS to order me the Dark Angels Hellblasters in.

Also, from a buddy who's in the same escalation league I'm playing in. "So my first opponent's playing Eldar, and when I was talking to him to schedule the game, he asked if I thought Eldrad was too OP for a 500 point game..."

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Finished up a space man. This is the model that made me choose Black Templars. He's just friggin sweet.

I also got a ton of tac marines done. Just a razorback, and a predator and I'll have my 1500 point list done. I'll have to grab a group picture when I hit that point.

I did get a couple pics from a 1200 point game a Custodes player and I cobbled together. Between a multi-melta Contemptor and Trajann, the Leviathan went down like a bitch. Though it did explode and take a few golden boys with it.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

jadebullet posted:

I finally got around to finishing up Mortarion and photographing him.

Click for huge(because trying to make it smaller ended up losing quality so yeah)

Let me know what you guys think.

This looks amazing. Where did you get the wings?

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Thanqol posted:

This looks amazing. Where did you get the wings?

He got them from the Magnus kit.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Liquid Communism posted:

Worth thinking on. I've got a line in with my FLGS to order me the Dark Angels Hellblasters in.

Also, from a buddy who's in the same escalation league I'm playing in. "So my first opponent's playing Eldar, and when I was talking to him to schedule the game, he asked if I thought Eldrad was too OP for a 500 point game..."

Well isn't eldrad a terrible idea at 500 points though? I wouldn't take any farseer at that level, their best powers are buffs and there isn't anything for them to buff, so it becomes pointless. I suppose against the right enemies you could do some harm with smite/executioner?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Genghis Cohen posted:

Well isn't eldrad a terrible idea at 500 points though? I wouldn't take any farseer at that level, their best powers are buffs and there isn't anything for them to buff, so it becomes pointless. I suppose against the right enemies you could do some harm with smite/executioner?

I'm not great at mathhammer, but he looks pretty good if you don't have something to counter him with, and almost nobody seems to bring psykers at 500 points.

WS 2+ BS 2+ S3 T4 W6 A2 LD9 Sv6+

Can manifest 3 powers in friendly phase, and deny twice. Gear gives him a 3+ Invuln, ability to reroll any number of dice on a psychic manifest or deny once per phase, +1 on any manifest/deny attempt after the first in the round, and ability to shrug off Mortals (say from Perils) on a 5+. Weapon's S+2 AP-2 D3 as well.

Guide plus the Eldar ability to shoot as if they haven't moved seems like a pretty good way of getting first blood or a warlord kill in a tiny game like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Milotic posted:

He got them from the Magnus kit.

I assume that this naturally means that there's a Magnus with giant bug wings on his workbench.