Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Melee weapons absolutely exist. However, this game takes its art assets from Mechwarrior Online, which does not include melee combat and is thus absent dedicated melee mechs like the Hatchetman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

pgi's laziness notwithstanding i don't think any mechwarrior game has actually included melee weapons have they

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

You don't even need weapons to melee

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Not even Living Legends includes Melee and they went deeper into the mechanics than any other Mechwarrior game.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
MWO Beta was the only time I remember melee combat being part of a Mechwarrior game, and it was pretty serious jank back then that made some of the tighter maps hellish for lights (the only thing that let you survive running around a corner into a larger mech and tripping was your hitboxes completely bugging out while you were on the ground). Doing it right would be adding a pretty serious gameplay mechanic and it's something that the game would need to be designed around from the beginning, not just have bolted on on a whim. That's probably not the reason PGI hasn't done it, but in any case I'm fine with them not overreaching themselves.

If HBS Battletech is very successful and there's a lot of clamor for the Hatchetman I suppose there's a chance they could pay PGI to make a model for it in the sequel / expansion / whatever.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 31, 2018

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I have to assume the end-goal of choice for HBS is having on-staff capability to produce those assets if this game ends up successful enough, but considering how expensive modeling and rigging can be, that sounds like one of the many "in success" kind of goals.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

Is there a reason why melee weapons are apparently just not a thing? I mean in the real world it's probably a dumb idea but coolness demands that I can put a giant chainsaw on my giant robot.

Axes and swords are fine but people don't like to talk about lumbermechs 'round here.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Psion posted:

I have to assume the end-goal of choice for HBS is having on-staff capability to produce those assets if this game ends up successful enough, but considering how expensive modeling and rigging can be, that sounds like one of the many "in success" kind of goals.

Given that they have an OK working relationship with PGI I imagine they would probably try to hire some of their modelers to produce some basic assets that they could modify in-house. They're already pretty extensively changing or building on stuff with the PGI models that they're using right now. Animations is the big thing that comes to mind, for example.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Sure, I don't mean they should junk a good working relationship. But having at least some in-house means the freedom to produce whatever roster they want to make a game in any era they want, as opposed to being tied down by PGI's pipeline. That's why I'm assuming such anyway, but obviously I don't work for HBS :shrug:

I do think it's probably a positive for the brand overall to have design consistency between products so I'd expect it to be in the same style.

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 31, 2018

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Psion posted:

Sure, I don't mean they should junk a good working relationship. But having at least some in-house means the freedom to produce whatever roster they want to make a game in any era they want, as opposed to being tied down by PGI's pipeline. That's why I'm assuming such anyway, but obviously I don't work for HBS :shrug:

I do think it's probably a positive for the brand overall to have design consistency between products so I'd expect it to be in the same style.

I'm going to guess that the reason they're not doing it in-house is that it's a pretty small company and if they can outsource all of that to someone else it saves them a lot of money and, almost as importantly, a lot of time.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

HBS at least acknowledged melee mechs and apparently there is an in-house desire. But since they aren't making the mechs themselves so... :v:

But really PGI putting the hatchetman in would get me to start playing MWO again. Chopping mechs with a giant loving ax is pure joy; Guess I better fire up titanfall tonight.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm going to guess that the reason they're not doing it in-house is that it's a pretty small company and if they can outsource all of that to someone else it saves them a lot of money and, almost as importantly, a lot of time.

i mean that's exactly what they said when they started this game so it's not much of a guess. I'm discussing a future hypothetical for the sequel, though, where it may be a different choice.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Cyrano4747 posted:

If we get DLC (sequels whatever) I could certainly see HBS producing at least some mechs in house. If you only need to do 2-3 mechs that PGI didn't do that certainly cuts down dev cost/time. Especially since they would already be building on top of a completed game so that in theory should cut down on the overall resources needed.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

spaced ninja posted:

If we get DLC (sequels whatever) I could certainly see HBS producing at least some mechs in house. If you only need to do 2-3 mechs that PGI didn't do that certainly cuts down dev cost/time. Especially since they would already be building on top of a completed game so that in theory should cut down on the overall resources needed.

They have already made models for the game. All the vehicles are done in house, apparently those are the same assets that pgi are using for MW5.

The last video demo they did had vehicles in it, though turret traversal wasn't implemented at the time.

A good Battletech game has to have plenty of treadheads to totally overpower!

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

PoptartsNinja posted:

Wolf Pack, but it's unfortunately not very good. The real "Sequel" to Wolves on the Border is the Blood of Kerensky Trilogy which is why that was second on the reading list.

Ah that is a shame, I was hoping to read up on what happens after the ending of Wolves on the Border and their inevitable push for revenge. I thought that for the first time the Draconis Combine didn't ALL come across as badmen and there were a couple of sympathetic characters.

What becomes of Minobu's assistant, Michi Noketsuna, in the universe? The last we hear of him in the book he accepts the Wolves offer to be dropped off somewhere outside DC territory but decides not to join them.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

He eventually takes them up on the job offer and becomes the head of their intelligence service. The original Mercenaries field manual is supposed to be a report written by him

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Phrosphor posted:

Ah that is a shame, I was hoping to read up on what happens after the ending of Wolves on the Border and their inevitable push for revenge. I thought that for the first time the Draconis Combine didn't ALL come across as badmen and there were a couple of sympathetic characters.

He becomes Boba Fett for a while (seriously, he takes over as the Bounty Hunter), then after finishing his revenge and the death of Takashi Kurita, he joins the Dragoons in Wolf Pack as above.

Wolf Pack's not a great novel, but if you liked the Dragoons I'd read WotB -> Blood of Kerensky -> Wolf Pack since that's the order they happen in, and Brian Cameron doesn't make much sense if you don't understand who and what the Clans are.

And if you liked House Kurita not being the bad guys, I'd follow that up with the Camachos Caballeros novels so you can bask in Chandrasekhar Kurita's glorious personage and hang out with the Red Witch and her awesome Yakuza.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.

Phrosphor posted:

What becomes of Minobu's assistant, Michi Noketsuna, in the universe? The last we hear of him in the book he accepts the Wolves offer to be dropped off somewhere outside DC territory but decides not to join them.

I'd actually say after Wolves, you should read Heir to the Dragon. Although it's heavily Theodore Kurita's story, it also has the proper follow up to Michi's story. Additionally, it features some Dragoon expatriates that you might recognize from Wolves in the Border that followed Michi on his vengeance quest, and one of the cool lieutenants of Theodore's is Fuhito Tetsuhara, Minobu's brother.

Also it doesn't suck.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Holybat posted:

I'd actually say after Wolves, you should read Heir to the Dragon. Although it's heavily Theodore Kurita's story, it also has the proper follow up to Michi's story. Additionally, it features some Dragoon expatriates that you might recognize from Wolves in the Border that followed Michi on his vengeance quest, and one of the cool lieutenants of Theodore's is Fuhito Tetsuhara, Minobu's brother.

Also it doesn't suck.

Cheers for the advice folks, I will check out Heir to the Dragon and then the Blood of Kerensky books. I just don't like clan stuff, but I guess the wolves are Pseudo clans.

For my money I would have loved the setting to stay 3028 style for a lot longer!

Coincidentally I just reached the point in the Battletech LP where Minobu commands the combined RCT group against Hells Horses. When I started that update I had no idea who he was but now at the end of it reading the summary I am kinda stoked the players voted for him.

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 1, 2018

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Blood of Kerensky seemed like iconic reading but then I checked the author and it was Stackpole so now I'm scared of it.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

It's been a while since I read Blood of Kerensky but what was the reason Natasha Kerensky went back to clan wolf and stayed there instead of remaining with the Dragoons? Was it ever explained how Jamie wolf and the others felt about that?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Tythas posted:

It's been a while since I read Blood of Kerensky but what was the reason Natasha Kerensky went back to clan wolf and stayed there instead of remaining with the Dragoons? Was it ever explained how Jamie wolf and the others felt about that?

The Clans had to vote for a new IlKhan, which required all bloodnamed individuals to return. Natasha Kerensky was the only living, RIP William Cameron member of the Dragoons to still have a bloodname.

None of the Dragoons comment on it but her absence is absolutely noted and remarked upon.

Voyager I posted:

Blood of Kerensky seemed like iconic reading but then I checked the author and it was Stackpole so now I'm scared of it.

I don't dislike early Stackpole novels. His combat's alright and Blood of Kerensky has enough viewpoint characters that it never forces you to endure Kai's crippling depression for long.

Ranna Kerensky and Evantha Fetladral are legitimately good characters.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

DatonKallandor posted:

Not even Living Legends includes Melee and they went deeper into the mechanics than any other Mechwarrior game.

The sole exception I've heard of (never tried) is a physics quirk in MW3, where more speed = lots of collision damage

Take a Bushwacker
Run towards an enemy at max speed
Torso twist right
When you get close, twist left
If you make contact with the enemy with your arm, it gets blown off. And the enemy takes enough damage to instantly core it

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Clans had to vote for a new IlKhan, which required all bloodnamed individuals to return. Natasha Kerensky was the only living, RIP William Cameron member of the Dragoons to still have a bloodname.

None of the Dragoons comment on it but her absence is absolutely noted and remarked upon.

I don't dislike early Stackpole novels. His combat's alright and Blood of Kerensky has enough viewpoint characters that it never forces you to endure Kai's crippling depression for long.

Ranna Kerensky and Evantha Fetladral are legitimately good characters.

Evantha mostly disappeared after those books, didn't she?

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Taerkar posted:

Mostly yeah. You still get Ranna clowning on Victor and friends though.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Well she was a clan elite pilot (1 or 0 gunnery) that mainly piloted a Warhark - LPL edition.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
My prediction is expansion based on the 4th Succession War, and maybe a smaller DLC where you manage a Solaris stable rather than a Merc outfit.

Both will contain new Mechs that integrate with the old campaign.

Clans will be saved for the sequel but done mostly because PGI already did all the work.

I hope we'll be able to role play the same outfit throughout the timeline.

E: with the exception of Natural Selection I've found Stackpole's novels decent.

You don't go into BattleTech novels seeking high literature. They're mostly trashy airport bargain bin novels, but if you like the setting they're certainly enjoyable.

Like a typical Rock film. You don't go into them expecting an Oscar winning performance. You go in to shut your brain off and just have dumb fun.

Alternatively you can pick up whatever source books you feel like.

Sky Shadowing fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 1, 2018

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

How is the average quality of writing in the Battletech books compared to the Shadowrun stuff? I mean, the Shadowrun novels aren't exactly high literature but they're quite a bit of fun, and most of them are decent enough at least to be interesting. I know that there is some crossover between authors, which is promising.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

aniviron posted:

How is the average quality of writing in the Battletech books compared to the Shadowrun stuff? I mean, the Shadowrun novels aren't exactly high literature but they're quite a bit of fun, and most of them are decent enough at least to be interesting. I know that there is some crossover between authors, which is promising.

The 2 Battletech novela's from the kickstarter campaign are alright. Quick reads. Not super memorable. Fairly fun. Stackpole wrote them and seemed to have fun doing it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Taerkar posted:

Mostly, but she still takes down a BattleMech while using the TAG Elemental.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

HBS don't do expansions.

What they'll do is 'Game 2' which they'll be tempted to crack out in 12 months now that the technology is built. It's an open question whether they'll stick to their style of games of a certain size or scope, or whether they'll take the fact that they've got a working pseudo-random mission generator and with some Paradox guidance go down the route of a bigger game that remains live with regular content expansions the way Pdx does.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Alchenar posted:

HBS don't do expansions.

What they'll do is 'Game 2' which they'll be tempted to crack out in 12 months now that the technology is built. It's an open question whether they'll stick to their style of games of a certain size or scope, or whether they'll take the fact that they've got a working pseudo-random mission generator and with some Paradox guidance go down the route of a bigger game that remains live with regular content expansions the way Pdx does.
Paradox The PUBLISHER is PUBLISHING HBS: Battletech. Paradox the DEVELOPMENT STUDIO (PDS for short, makers of the CK, EU, HoI, and Stellaris games) are the company that does regular content expansions. Just because the Paradox game developer does regular content expansions for their games DOES NOT mean that game developers that have their games published through Paradox The Publisher will do the CK2, EU4, HoI4, and Stellaris quarterly DLC model.

Saying "HBS dont do expansions" is a little soon... They have self-published a short list of games that got the go-ahead because of support via kickstarter. Now they have the backing and support of a legit publisher and are making a game that may have really wide appeal and make them a lot of money. They also have a lot of content that they had to cut from this game that they are about to release. There is nothing telling us either way that they will "not do an expansion" for HBS: Battletech.

edit: Yes I know the second paragraph goes against what I said in the first paragraph but it seems people need to be reminded of the difference between Paradoxes :v:

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Feb 1, 2018

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Dragonfall was an expansion to Returns, remember. It was just so good they turned it into it's own game.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Saying HBS doesn't do expansions is a little.. dumb. Besides the aforementioned examples, they're a small indie studio that's not turned out a lot. The Battletech fanbase is way bigger than the Shadowrun fanbase and if MWO can keep going after all these years, I'm sure there is untapped money out there for HBS to support Battletech for years.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Virtually most of the money HBS makes, assuming they budgeted properly, should be pure profit. Given that the Kickstarter contributed most, if not all, of the budget.

That's obviously a bit of a two edged sword, though, because 50,000 or so of the hardcore fans have already bought the game.

That's why DLC makes sense. Most of us here already contributed our money. DLC is a way to recoup more from us.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Sky Shadowing posted:

Virtually most of the money HBS makes, assuming they budgeted properly, should be pure profit. Given that the Kickstarter contributed most, if not all, of the budget.

That's obviously a bit of a two edged sword, though, because 50,000 or so of the hardcore fans have already bought the game.

That's why DLC makes sense. Most of us here already contributed our money. DLC is a way to recoup more from us.
Keep in mind, though, that once the kickstarter was complete they did not expect the game to take this long to develop, so once the game is released it may not be pure profit if the kickstarter money was all gone halfway through last year.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Keep in mind, though, that once the kickstarter was complete they did not expect the game to take this long to develop, so once the game is released it may not be pure profit if the kickstarter money was all gone halfway through last year.

Obviously I don't have any information on the exact reasons, but there's a good chance this is why they partnered with Paradox in the first place. A big part of what publishers do and why they exist in the first place is that they front studios the money to stay open while a game is being developed. The fact that they started this project 100% independent and then signed on with Paradox to help distribute BTech (and never had to with the earlier SR games) points to them maybe running out of cash.

Honestly it's a very good thing and is yet another example of why you should only back kickstarters by people with a proven track record. These people know the business and, if this is what happened, knew what to do when they realized they were going to run out of cash. A new, inexperienced studio might have just shipped a half-baked product or folded completely, leading to yet another cautionary tale of buyer beware with kickstarter.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also they did do an expansion for Shadowrun: Hong Kong :v;

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I think they're a few months over time, if that, because the original estimations on the Kickstarter were for just the first phase- basically, beta. As it added more stretch goals the timeframe went up.

I think Paradox is a good partnership and I hope to see the game in the Steam Top Sellers for a few months. Paradox can market it well enough to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Cyrano4747 posted:

Obviously I don't have any information on the exact reasons, but there's a good chance this is why they partnered with Paradox in the first place. A big part of what publishers do and why they exist in the first place is that they front studios the money to stay open while a game is being developed. The fact that they started this project 100% independent and then signed on with Paradox to help distribute BTech (and never had to with the earlier SR games) points to them maybe running out of cash.
Hah, thats really funny because I almost speculated that in my post that you quoted - but I have no idea how that kind of stuff works other than the basic concept so I didnt. So basically, that was my thought too - they knew it would take longer to develop than originally planned and decided to sign with a publisher to help back them financially to make a good game. Signing with Paradox The Publisher also gives them the strength of "Paradox The Publisher has published a ton of good games, so being published by them should help increase the game's visibility".