Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Shadow Hog posted:

The Little Mermaid chat

It's honestly kind of an ugly movie compared to the rest of the Disney renaissance. The backgrounds can be awful, the palette is sometimes weirdly dissonant and you get some really wonk bits of animation.

Part of Your World is the standout sequence, but I've got a real soft spot for Poor Unfortunate Souls even if it takes a bit to amp itself up to the PoYW finesse. There's a lot of love and care in the animation of PoYW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

"Poor Unfortunate Souls" was a song I didn't recall anything about until I found the aforementioned Music Behind the Magic CD boxset only like a month ago (up until then I'd only known of our copies of the Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin discs from it, leaving the Little Mermaid and Aladdin (The Original Score) discs in limbo). I knew the stand-outs with "Part of Your World" and "Under the Sea" for sure - even vaguely remembered "Kiss the Girl" - but "Poor Unfortunate Souls"? Nah.

And yet, listening to it as of finding that CD - it's like one of the best songs in the entire film? Why did I forget this song? Like, "Fathoms Below" I can fault for being only one or two lines long (at least, the version used in the film; the CD version adds a few extra lines where Eric and Grimsby would otherwise start talking in the film proper), but this doesn't have that problem. Hell, it's got some deliciously smarmy dialog from Ursula herself (for instance, I love the way she delivers "and don't forget the importance of body language!"). I'm just going to chalk it up to not having watched the film in over ten years...

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Villain songs are the best because the villain is usually having the time of their evil little lives while singing. Also Ursula's pretty great, love her design, love her going full-ham on folks, octopus are cool, I love that up until now there's an evil sea-witch just hanging out and ruining folks lives with contracts and crooked deals.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Shadow Hog posted:

for instance, I love the way she delivers "and don't forget the importance of body language!"

BAAAHHHDDYYY LAAANGGHHUAAGE

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

YggiDee posted:

Villain songs are the best because the villain is usually having the time of their evil little lives while singing. Also Ursula's pretty great, love her design, love her going full-ham on folks, octopus are cool, I love that up until now there's an evil sea-witch just hanging out and ruining folks lives with contracts and crooked deals.

I thought it insinuated that Ursula had some kind of grievance with the way things were run underwater, but I'm not sure now if there were any specific thing that made me think that. I mean obviously she's got a bad reputation that Sebastian and King Triton recognize but that's not enough to pin it on by itself probably.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I thought it insinuated that Ursula had some kind of grievance with the way things were run underwater, but I'm not sure now if there were any specific thing that made me think that. I mean obviously she's got a bad reputation that Sebastian and King Triton recognize but that's not enough to pin it on by itself probably.

I know there was a cut animatic about her being exiled from Triton's court. Maybe that was it?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Fuckin loved Coco. Super cute movie. I'll let time pass before ranking it but it's definitely in my top 5 pixar films.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

LeJackal posted:

Buddy Thunderstruck is charming, witty, and probably the most genuinely and authentically progressive show for 'kids' out there right now. Who knew that the simple stop motion adventures of a rockabilly truck-racing dog and his albino ferret boyfriend would express so well the enthusiasm, anxiety, and emotional weight of the human condition? We can all find a bit of Buddy inside ourselves.

Darnell often does. :cheeky:

But yeah, Buddy Thunderstruck is far better than it has any right to be. It’s so effortlessly entertaining and gets to the heart of emotional things with the help of truck racing. Also, yes, it’s super gay and I love it.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

LeJackal posted:

Buddy Thunderstruck is charming, witty, and probably the most genuinely and authentically progressive show for 'kids' out there right now. Who knew that the simple stop motion adventures of a rockabilly truck-racing dog and his albino ferret boyfriend would express so well the enthusiasm, anxiety, and emotional weight of the human condition? We can all find a bit of Buddy inside ourselves.

I definitely get Buddy Thunderstruck being good as hell, but I'm curious what about it you'd call "authentically progressive".

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

YggiDee posted:

That Hans fellow really needed a solo song to show off his villainy, instead he has that one love-duet (which is secretly about his desire for huge tracks of land) and that's it. He wasn't even the cause of the movie's conflict, and I still don't know how his hasty regicide plan was supposed to work.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

It's not a particularly complex plan. Get close to princess -> become substitute ruler -> kill both princesses and take over the throne.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Darnell often does. :cheeky:

:drat:

The_Doctor posted:

But yeah, Buddy Thunderstruck is far better than it has any right to be. It’s so effortlessly entertaining and gets to the heart of emotional things with the help of truck racing. Also, yes, it’s super gay and I love it.

Its kind of ironic to pair the word 'effortless' with anything stop motion, especially since the folks behind Buddy Thunderstruck are working so hard at every aspect of production. All too often when animation is intended for children its used as an excuse to be lazy and do the bare minimum, so when they really go all out in terms of scripting, design, and execution it super stands out. I really hope they produce a lot more seasons and that we had more shows like it.

I really wish I had shows like Buddy Thunderstruck when I was younger. :smith:

Inspector Gesicht posted:

That Hans fellow really needed a solo song to show off his villainy, instead he has that one love-duet (which is secretly about his desire for huge tracks of land) and that's it. He wasn't even the cause of the movie's conflict, and I still don't know how his hasty regicide plan was supposed to work.

The problem with twist/reveal villains is they don't get time to be established and get a good song to set up the conflict.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Wonder if Wreck-It Ralph! 2 is gonna reveal the villain in advance this time.

Or even have a villain this time.

No, Ralph himself doesn't count.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Good villain songs also have a clear ideology behind them, which any good musical number needs.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Wreck It Ralph 2's villain should be the entirety of the Disney Princess canon.

It would have to be a major retread of the first, but goddamn it I need it,

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
It should be Xehanort

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
It should be rare pepes

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Beachcomber posted:

It should be rare pepes

Disney doesn't have the balls to condemn the surge of neonazi movements running around.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

The villain should be a bad version of Kidd Radd.

few will get this reference.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Pixeltendo posted:

GNARL!

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Pixeltendo posted:

I did! :(

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'm not in here to be mindlessly contrarian today, but I'm surprised people enjoyed Captain Underpants. That is an entirely empty and pointless film, one which has few if any actual jokes in it.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Ultra Carp

Pick posted:

I'm not in here to be mindlessly contrarian today, but I'm surprised people enjoyed Captain Underpants. That is an entirely empty and pointless film, one which has few if any actual jokes in it.

Speaking for myself, I grew up reading the books and I enjoyed how they translated them to the film. I mean, it was far from high art, but there were still some solid gags and the animation was good.

I saw better movies this year, but I also saw worse, so :shrug:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I also don't think it exactly landed the "We know it's wrong that we constantly make fun of your name just because it's foreign, but laughter is the greatest thing in the world so actually"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Poopypants is a foreign name?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
"Professor... ls that really your name? It's not, like, some kind of joke?"
"No. It's not, like, a joke. It's a traditional name in New Swissland."
"Am I pronouncing it right? ... Poopypants?"
"More or less. Except the emphasis is on the 'poop.' Why are you laughing? I've invented a shrinking and enlarging ray!"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I don't think it's because it's foreign, I think it's because it's a word for fecal matter.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
yeah, they kind of make him a German stereotype but "poopypants" is not an actual German word or name and the reason why they're laughing should be pretty obvious

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's an awards ceremony and instead of focusing on his accomplishments, people are laughing at him because of his name, which is traditional in his language and culture. They might as well have gone all the way and made him from Swaziland instead of Swissland since the fundamentals are the same. "In real words, i.e. English as it is spoken by white people, your name means feces. :smug: "

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
yes, let's make the joke racist instead of...about poop

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
When we went to Singapore with my Bengali BIL, everyone had a great time seeing his name everywhere with big red circles crossed over it. ("Masuk" means "entry" in Tamil and there were "no entry" signs all over the place.) The airport staff got a kick out of it and teased they knew he was coming.

I wish I could remember the specifics better, but a Nepalese dude cracked the gently caress up at a friend's name (Deesha) because it meant something ridiculous in Nepalese.

It's a universal thing.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I really challenge you to watch that scene and think about it from his point of view. Among other things, it’s an awards ceremony (not the time) and he doesn’t understand the joke, only that he’s being mocked for a name normal in his culture. That’s bigoted as gently caress.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Captain Underpants would have been better if it had made Professor Poopypants' plan the same as in the book, where he just wanted to force everyone to make their names as silly-sounding as his. Wanting to rid the world of laughter makes him a much less sympathetic villain.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I too think that the 2017 film Captain Underpants should have been a thoughtful treatise on international relations and Western racism

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Pick posted:

It's an awards ceremony and instead of focusing on his accomplishments, people are laughing at him because of his name, which is traditional in his language and culture. They might as well have gone all the way and made him from Swaziland instead of Swissland since the fundamentals are the same. "In real words, i.e. English as it is spoken by white people, your name means feces. :smug: "

jesus christ this is the strangest hill I've seen anyone choose to die on in a while

again: you do realize "Poopypants" is not a traditional name in any actual language or culture, right? it has literally no other meaning beyond being a poop joke. you are way, way, way, way overthinking a really dumb scatological joke.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
like I wasn't huge on Captain Underpants but that is a loving odd critique

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Wreck It Ralph 2's villain should be the entirety of the Disney Princess canon.

It would have to be a major retread of the first, but goddamn it I need it,
Would Anastasia be included?

Edit: oops, I slipped a little.

thelaughingman fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 31, 2018

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

again: you do realize "Poopypants" is not a traditional name in any actual language or culture, right? it has literally no other meaning beyond being a poop joke. you are way, way, way, way overthinking a really dumb scatological joke.

If the movie goes out of it's way to establish the fact that it's a common name in a foreign country, then it literally does have another meaning in the context of the film.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Mr Krupp being hypnotized and forced to publicly expose himself against his will is literally rape, ban this sick filth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Schwarzwald posted:

If the movie goes out of it's way to establish the fact that it's a common name in a foreign country, then it literally does have another meaning in the context of the film.

Which, as quoted, it does.