Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
P series has Dolby Vision IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The S doesn't have a wide color gamut and it doesn't get too bright. It's basically just a 4k panel, HDR and WCG are basically only supported as input, but you get no benefit.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BonoMan posted:

Goddamn and I was *JUST* talking to my wife last night about how I was about to upgrade all of our bedroom TVs to Roku TVs. Instead I bought a $20 Harmony 650 and put our old Roku on it. Figured I'd upgrade later.

But now this is making me want to pull the trigger.

Do it, new budget-tv friend

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Dogen posted:

Image retention is a concern with that OLED set and video games

Have you had any issues? I haven’t.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I haven’t either. 140 hours of xenoblade 2.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
I just want to know who drops 3 grand on a TV to exclusively watch CNN or another news network on.

E: I too have had zero issues - not even a hint of image retention let alone burn in. My watching habits include a bit of everything. The TV stays powered on way more than it should be even when we aren’t around it but I really don’t have any concern unless I was using it as a monitor with a completely static image. The built in screensaver does a good job with any of the built in apps.

comper fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jan 27, 2018

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

As mentioned before, BI on the OLEDs seems to be strictly cumulative with the 300 hour mark of the troublesome colors being the point where things start showing up. IR only seems to be seconds in duration of some of the very brightest and most saturated colors.

The unknowns about BI is how much of an influence OLED Light has on that hour count before it shows up (or prevents it entirely) or if there's a panel variance in resistance.

I'm not saying don't game on OLEDs (though, I moved all my gaming to the X900E because I could), just be aware if you are pushing some games with red/yellow huds (even at 50% opacity) into the multiple hundred hour range, you might end up seeing some burn in on slides.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

How often do you look at solid color slides and would you say that number is higher or lower than the average purchaser?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Aside from calibration, not very often. I'm really not worried about burn in since none of my watching behavior is all that risky.

I have seen IR just using the TV though. The bright yellow buttons in the Amazon web interface stick around for about 10 seconds or so when you transition menus if you leave them up for too long. When my blu-ray player exits to the player's main screen when I eject a disk after watching a 2 hour letterboxed movie (especially if it's HDR) I can see the boundary of the letterboxed area.

I'm not really worried about any of that, but I have seen it. If there's one thing the rtings burn in test has done is made me not worried about letterboxing or windowboxing at all. Differential aging only really seems to be an issue on saturated primary colors, average content isn't going to do it.

I have about 3500 hours on my C6 now and I have zero issues with it (aside from wishing it had better motion processing). I'm also not going to downplay the risks in owning an emissive display based on the evidence that's popping up. I still wouldn't have any other display in my living room right now. I'm just glad I also have an X900E in my game room so I never have to think about the issue at all.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 27, 2018

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

What TV? on lg oleds dynamic contrast should always be set to low.

You also need to make sure both the tv and console have the same hdmi level set.

Sorry for the late reply, but the TV is a Bravia x690E. I don't know what HDMI level is. I did have to set some HDMI option so that my third port could show 4k if that's it. I'm just really not used to this all of my previous TVs worked just fine out of the box for this kind of thing.

I can get it so there's some kind contrast on the high end, but in-game most games look kind of bright with very little definition in shadows, which is especially disappointing for games like Dark Souls or Bloodborne. Like, I'll use Uncharted's decent grading graph and think it's alright, but then I'll go into Horizon and it'll look like farts with that game's brightness graphic being way off and not working at all with the in-game slider.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I’m at 2900 hours and I can honestly say I have not noticed any of it with similar usage.

I’m not saying it doesn’t exist, but I wonder if I’m just not able to perceive it or what the differences are in usage that cause it for some and not for me?

“Yeah, but IR is a concern” just feels like an overstatement / oversimplification with how limited / short it is, but I admit I am influenced by my singular experience.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

What i'm saying is IR isn't a concern but BI absolutely is and you don't get the safety net like you do with plasma where IR is going to give you a warning to change your behavior before it becomes permanent. Plasma had medium duration IR (IR that could last for days or weeks but was reversible) that basically told you "You keep doing this and it's never going away." OLED doesn't have that. It has IR that's measured in seconds or minutes at the most and that IR isn't really an indicator of any cumulative effect.

It's a lot harder to cause BI on OLED than it was on plasma and even harder still to cause burn in that's visible on normal content. They are not, however, as burn in proof as LG likes to talk about in their marketing materials and their BI behavior is fairly different than plasma.

The risk for most people isn't high enough to knock the display as a recommendation, but it is worth talking about as a downside to the TVs in case people know they do things that will cause issues. For example, I know my friend's wife watches a lot of MSNBC so I had to tell him I couldn't recommend an OLED for his living room because viewing habits would likely ruin it.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I am thinking of getting a TV for occasional TV but also using it as a computer monitor. I don't want it to be too huge, which seems to mean I'm not getting anything fancy like OLED or 4K but that is fine because I am also cheap.

I saw this one at Best Buy today. I know 1080p is good, and I think I understand the refresh rate (60's fine, 120's better). It's the audio set up that I don't get. It has no headphone port and only has 'optical' out (which I looked up and still don't get, but I know it's another audio thing). If I have this plugged into my computer and want to use my headphones from the PC, is the audio also going to be coming out of the TV? I know I can just mute the TV but I don't want to always be looking at the little symbol for muting forever. If it does work like that, how can I get around that?

Sorry if this question is dumb, but I have never bought an HD TV. Until very recently I still had my standard def CRT radiation king.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Usually that's dictated by the computer rather than the TV - if you're plugged into the HDMI for audio on the TV and you plug headphones in, it usually stops transmitting the audio channel on the HDMI. That's how it generally works with my HTPC. If you do have issues with it (I have a TV whose audio board went nuts and gives me only static regardless of whether it has any audio input), you can always bring the volume to zero instead of muting.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Modern desktop operating systems should let you direct audio pretty much however you choose. Some applications might handle it badly because they're poorly written or DRM'd (but I repeat myself). But for the most part, I don't think it should be an issue.

Also, on my TV, if you reduce the volume to 0 instead of muting, there is no icon.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Magnetic North posted:

I am thinking of getting a TV for occasional TV but also using it as a computer monitor. I don't want it to be too huge, which seems to mean I'm not getting anything fancy like OLED or 4K but that is fine because I am also cheap.

I saw this one at Best Buy today. I know 1080p is good, and I think I understand the refresh rate (60's fine, 120's better). It's the audio set up that I don't get. It has no headphone port and only has 'optical' out (which I looked up and still don't get, but I know it's another audio thing). If I have this plugged into my computer and want to use my headphones from the PC, is the audio also going to be coming out of the TV? I know I can just mute the TV but I don't want to always be looking at the little symbol for muting forever. If it does work like that, how can I get around that?

Sorry if this question is dumb, but I have never bought an HD TV. Until very recently I still had my standard def CRT radiation king.

On my Vizio, I can turn off audio output from my TV's internal speakers inside of a TV configuration menu. You might be able to do that for your Samsung.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Pulled the trigger on a LG OLED for the house, what is the general consensus on extended warranties ?

I was offered 5 years for $175, claiming to cover everything. But reviews of CPS show that its like pulling teeth to actually get anything out of it.

Seems like square trade or LG itself offer just as good for cheaper

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Roundboy posted:

Pulled the trigger on a LG OLED for the house, what is the general consensus on extended warranties ?

I was offered 5 years for $175, claiming to cover everything. But reviews of CPS show that its like pulling teeth to actually get anything out of it.

Seems like square trade or LG itself offer just as good for cheaper

ST from costco is $90 for an additional 3 years of warranty. If you bought your tv with a citi card the 2 years they give you stacks on top for 6 years total

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I did the Costco warranty, cheap enough that it doesn't bump up the price too much unlike other extended warranties. Keep in mind that it doesn't cover burn-in so don't run your OLED light at 100 playing CNN non-stop and expect them to honor it.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
CPS was said to cover accidental damage.. but your mileage will vary greatly. 2 years from costco seems nice and covers everything.

i would rather a EW i can use vs one that covers everything and will never pay out

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I was surprised to see so few deals in between the 2018 announcements and the Super Bowl- a testament to how little improvement there is year over year I suppose.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Buydig has $2050 oled65c7ps again. Call in required. no tax (except in nj i think) free shipping

800-617-4686 Ext. 1

homeless
Jan 2, 2005
not so much

Don Lapre posted:

Buydig has $2050 oled65c7ps again. Call in required. no tax (except in nj i think) free shipping

800-617-4686 Ext. 1

Really tempted to pull the trigger on this. Not sure if I want in on OLED yet, primary driver being cost. Or if I should sit and wait on the TCL 65" P (now named 6 series) this spring. Sitting on a 9 year old 42" Panasonic plasma.

Very different TVs, trying to sort out if I'll regret spending roughly double on newer tech.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think most of us who were in the Pio/Panny plasma club ended up with OLED afterwards. Just felt like the natural successor, and we're all too aware of IR/BI handling.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
You don't really see a lot of people saying I regret spending money on an OLED or something similar.

homeless
Jan 2, 2005
not so much
Can't argue with either post. I started catching up with TVs in July, and spent far too much time watching for the right deal. Mostly hoping Costco would come down to the $2k price point. Ordered the C7 from Buydig (Beach Camera), $2050 out the door. The B7 is $2099, guy on the phone mentioned the E7 but I didn't bother asking the price.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

E7 is pointless unless you really want the soundbar thats permanently attached.

Buddies c7 got delivered today from the deal. He ordered Monday last week. They used a freight company for his, fedex for mine. But mine was done back in 2017 mid year.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Don Lapre can I just say I love your avatar.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

homeless posted:

Can't argue with either post. I started catching up with TVs in July, and spent far too much time watching for the right deal. Mostly hoping Costco would come down to the $2k price point. Ordered the C7 from Buydig (Beach Camera), $2050 out the door. The B7 is $2099, guy on the phone mentioned the E7 but I didn't bother asking the price.

I never knew Buydig was Beach Camera... I've bought motherboards from Buydig before. Beach Camera has passed off used broadcasting hardware on me as new and I'm not the only one.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
my 55" tcl came in yesterday. it looks amazing, ty goons

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Same boat. FedEx just dropped off my lg oled. Didn't even calibrate or change any settings yet and it's awesome. The viewing angles are insane too

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Roundboy posted:

Same boat. FedEx just dropped off my lg oled. Didn't even calibrate or change any settings yet and it's awesome. The viewing angles are insane too

Set picture mode as ISF Expert dark or bright room

dynamic contrast low
noise reduction off
mpeg noise reduction off
black level auto
real cinema on
motion eye care off
True motion user (de judder to 0, de-blur to 10)
Energy saving to off

Only picture setting (like brightness, contrast, color, etc) you should touch is oled light. adjust it up or down to brighten or dim the screen to taste.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Almost bought an OLED today...instead I poured money in to a retirement account instead.

This old Panasonic plasma needs to die.

:sigh:

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Residency Evil posted:

Almost bought an OLED today...instead I poured money in to a retirement account instead.

This old Panasonic plasma needs to die.

:sigh:

You been sitting on this purchase for a MINUTE my dude.

Should be in Iowa where the cost of living is low low low.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Don Lapre posted:

Set picture mode as ISF Expert dark or bright room

dynamic contrast low
noise reduction off
mpeg noise reduction off
black level auto
real cinema on
motion eye care off
True motion user (de judder to 0, de-blur to 10)
Energy saving to off

Only picture setting (like brightness, contrast, color, etc) you should touch is oled light. adjust it up or down to brighten or dim the screen to taste.

If you're paying for an OLED you should be getting every penny out of your purchase. Everyone knows that the Vivid picture mode has more color.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I used the settings from rtings.com that work out well.

The only exception is i slightly raised the oled brightness due to my room light level, and didnt touch the white balance options as I have no way to properly check that or configure it. My 4k sources are netflix / amazon as served from my nvidia shield, so I am busy looking at info screens to make sure I am getting what i am getting.

He shield is probably going back anyway due to issues getting it accessible via my goggle home interface, but that is pending a full reset on all my units to check.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Don't use the shield for HDR stuff from Netflix with an LG OLED. You are missing out on Dolby Vision that way.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Feb 1, 2018

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

bull3964 posted:

Don't use the shield for HDR stuff from Amazon with an LG OLED. You are missing out on Dolby Vision that way.

How do you get that then?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

KingKapalone posted:

How do you get that then?

Use the built in apps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

bull3964 posted:

Don't use the shield for HDR stuff from Amazon with an LG OLED. You are missing out on Dolby Vision that way.

Is that limited to Amazon or does that affect Netflix/ YouTube as well.

Netflix and Plex are my two main uses at the moment, Amazon is a distant third

Edit: also I'm using tv sound until I figure out what I am doing for wall mounting and sound upgrades in the room it's in