Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

His lips are moving, which means he's lying.

He's lying. His lips are moving. How can someone describe a feature in 3.0 that isn't even **implemented** yet? They're basically going to make poo poo up this Friday, in an attempt to placate a bunch of loving lunatics into thinking that in the long term, all their dreams will be realized.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
The only bug-free program is one with zero lines of code. Star Citizen already has more bugs than any game I’ve ever played so how could it be a scam lol wiggle your way out of that one, Goon bitches.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

AlbieQuirky posted:

Hello Kittizen

Don’t tell anybody but I had a Hello Kitty lunch box, and backpack, and keychain and stuff when I was little. :3:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
Imagine how much more complex Star Citizen will get when they try to convert it into a game.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Toops posted:

I mean, the foundation of Star Citizen is pretty much done. Just need to apply some “Development Philosophies for Writing Bug Free Software” from the undisputed bible of programming perfection:

I mean the forward is written by Dave motherflippin’ Moore, Former Director of Development, Microsoft Corporation, so you know it’s the real poo poo.

The nearest book I ever read to making error proof code is "Imperfect C++" by Matthew Wilson. It's oriented toward making software for banking operations, spaceflights, or whatever bulletproof systems. So much exception handling, try/catch blocks, exception specifications, on every little line of code you'd normally never even think twice about. Total nightmare. It was so bad that when I read Google's C++ coding guidelines say not to use the exception handling, I was just like, "Yeah, that makes sense."

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

peter gabriel posted:

I am here to chew bubble gum and fix Star Citizen and I have run out of bubble gum - CIG marketing

Was super funny back when Duke Nukem said it like 25 years ago.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Why hasn't Derek changed his avatar yet?

Streetroller
Jun 11, 2016

Virtual Captain posted:

My Future For SQ42, The PU, And My Channel

"I don't feel the writing is done very well at all it's kindof rudimentary, you spend a lot of your time just walking around talking to people. That doesn't interest me at all"

"There is just nothing about the vertical slice that excited me in any way"

"I'm just not personally enjoying 3.0 right now"

'I have been actively looking for a job' 'I have an internship program that I'm going to contact'

I think the joke of that video is the background music is from Vanilla Sky,
specifically the part where the AI shamefully says "Everyone you've ever known is dead, this world isn't real, and you can't get out. I'm sorry"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGuR4GOV5L0

Streetroller fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 1, 2018

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Toops posted:

The only bug-free program is one with zero lines of code.

https://i.imgur.com/AxyMtz5.mp4

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Just look at that wig. Look at it.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

VR layered.

Streetroller
Jun 11, 2016

Looks at his keyboard to find... the Backspace

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Witness the only thing that Chris Roberts felt didn't need to be in Star Citizen.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Only took them 15 takes and a promise to chris that they'd mocap it all later.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

AP posted:

New pirate ship sale for whatever new mechanics they dream up to cover this fuckup.

Dream Status: Restored

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

lol at him still trying to convince people he writes any code at all in 2017/2018

I know a few people that opened photoshop once or twice and now are calling themselves 'graphic designers' too

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Whoops, some incriminating banking information, don't need that.

Streetroller
Jun 11, 2016

ComfyPants posted:

Witness the only thing that Chris Roberts felt didn't need to be in Star Citizen.

I guess he thinks "his engine" doesn't need no bullshit arguments.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

G0RF posted:

You may see that as a reversal of their previously stated position on ship capture, which was itself a reversal of early statements...

But all I hear are inflections, intonations, personalities, the sincerity. If you’d stop pointing out substantive issues you’d just might really appreciate the stylistic ones more.

Erris of all people noted that female player characters are scheduled for end of year release yet Chris Roberts said that you could play Squadron as a female character or male. Is this not CIG telling everyone not to expect a 2018 release of Squadron?

Do we even know what actress did the voice work for that? i assume since we’ve seen nothing about it that either the voice capture work is still ahead or (more likely) Chris, Haddock et al didn’t plan on a female player option up front. The gigantic Squadron script probably doesn’t have unique lines or branches depending on character gender. Drop in a female ragdoll and it still won’t have hip-sway.

But maybe I’m wrong about that. I may have just missed it.

Feminine voice: Stay frosty!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
There is no way you can play :females: in SQ42. One of the first NPCs you run across in the "rescue mission" is a trussed up woman, who I'm sure will be very thankful for being rescued and offer a reward in your wank pod along with a cooked meal and doing your space laundry.

Remember who CIG's customers are.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

That video makes me laugh every goddamn time: Roberts pretending like he understands a single line of modern code, when his contributions to Wing Commander's gameplay were essentially pointing at the screen and saying "make it do this" (Steve Beeman and Warren Spector are responsible for it shipping), and on Wing Commanders III and IV he had essentially nothing to do with the actual gameplay, as he was more preoccupied with making his Top Gun in Space movie.

Dude understands code like I understand how to perform quintuple bypass surgery.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Streetroller posted:

Looks at his keyboard to find... the Backspace

That was 8 hours of work he just did by ... removing a variable name?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

My favorite part is how all the devs are absolutely still and silent, as if by simply moving they might attract the attention of some kind of unspeakably evil saleswoman predator.

They definitely don't look at all guilty, nope.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Scruffpuff posted:

There is no way you can play :females: in SQ42. One of the first NPCs you run across in the "rescue mission" is a trussed up woman, who I'm sure will be very thankful for being rescued and offer a reward in your wank pod along with a cooked meal and doing your space laundry.

Remember who CIG's customers are.

This seems to be the general expectation.

Brave, dominate man: “I saved you. Guess you’re now obligated to have sex with me.” :dukedoge:

GreenElephant
Mar 22, 2016

cool, I guess adz adama works at CIG now

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

XK posted:

I don't know why I'm ruminating on that idiotic "Crytek didn't register the copyright" argument. I think it just baffles me.

Let's say J.K. Rowling wrote Harry Potter, and kept it all to herself. Then she has people over for a dinner party, and somebody snoops through her poo poo and finds it. Then that person publishes it, reaps the rewards, and J.K. can't do anything about it because she didn't register the copyright?

That's just not how copyright works. Copyright is automatic. Registering copyright is just a legal convenience for widely known properties.

Not formally registering copyright can, under US law, limit the amount of monetary damages a party can claim for that tort. But the breach of contract and royalties defaults torts wouldn't go away. IANALBUTT did use to work in publishing.

AlbieQuirky fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Feb 1, 2018

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

My favorite part is how all the devs are absolutely still and silent, as if by simply moving they might attract the attention of some kind of unspeakably evil saleswoman predator.

They definitely don't look at all guilty, nope.

"There have not been any changes to the long term design that we're aware of at this point."

Lando looks terrified, the rest look disconnected.

Swallow hard, gulp air, Lando. Everyone else, stretch back, look around the room, make eye contact with someone off camera. Cover your mouth with your hand. Drink, laugh a little. Everybody make sure to keep nodding in agreement. Wipe your eyes and face with your hand. Drink again, readjust yourselves.

Lando, throughout all this, make sure you sound like a 7 year old who's on the verge of tears because your mom is just about to find out you scratched her new car with your bike.

Go.

Sean Tracy: "That was the best non-answer I've ever heard."
Lando: "Pass the buck to Todd."

That last exchange is an example of truth being told in an aside.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

AlbieQuirky posted:

Not formally registering copyright can, under US law, limit the amount of monetary damages a party can claim for that tort.

Could you provide any deeper explanation of this? Is not your creation yours? That doesn't sound right that somebody could take your stuff and profit off it, and they get to keep proceeds because you didn't register.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

Scruffpuff posted:

Logically I'd expect very little overlap - a VR enthusiast knows how different the requirements are for making a proper VR title, and should know that those dumb immersion animations that are everywhere literally make Star Citizen permanently incompatible with VR. This isn't an issue of tweaking or adjusting it - it needs to be scrapped entirely and started over.

So I guess like with any technology there are two types of VR users - ones like myself and others that understand it and the limitations/opportunities but enjoy it anyway, and those who just go whole-hog and turn it into a loving 24/7 neckbeard vaping shitfest.

Speaking of Subnautica: They just disabled a lot of the 'immersion animations' in VR and it works well. What are the chances croberts removes immersion animations in SC?

Streetroller
Jun 11, 2016

AlbieQuirky posted:

Not formally registering copyright can, under US law, limit the amount of monetary damages a party can claim for that tort. But the breach of contract and royalties defaults torts wouldn't go away. IANALBUTT did use to work in publishing.

Not calling bullshit, but can I get a citation?
Because as far as I know, registering a copyright under US law is little more than a formality.

In fact, there are benefits in not registering, especially if you have pre-existing trademarks or related copyrights.

For example, "Harry Potter" can be trademarked by J.K. It isn't necessary to then proceed to copyright every single book which contains "Harry Potter".
It can get very complicated, so of course you should consult a IP Lawyer.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Streetroller posted:

Not calling bullshit, but can I get a citation?
Because as far as I know, registering a copyright under US law is little more than a formality.

In fact, there are benefits in not registering, especially if you have pre-existing trademarks or related copyrights.

For example, "Harry Potter" can be trademarked by J.K. It isn't necessary to then proceed to copyright every single book which contains "Harry Potter".
It can get very complicated, so of course you should consult a IP Lawyer.

Paging Mr. French. Paging Mr. French. To the helpdesk please.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

That water glass is making me twitch. I would of back handed it in a few secs.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

AbsoluteLlama posted:

Speaking of Subnautica: They just disabled a lot of the 'immersion animations' in VR and it works well. What are the chances croberts removes immersion animations in SC?

Not on your life goonie. That would be the opposite of fidelity. And we just can't have that now can we?

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

downout posted:

That water glass is making me twitch. I would of back handed it in a few secs.

Trust me, it was only there long enough for him to sit down and do this bit. It's not like there was any real coding going on there anyway.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DapperDon posted:

Trust me, it was only there long enough for him to sit down and do this bit. It's not like there was any real coding going on there anyway.

He probably highlighted a line in all caps: "CHRIS DELETE THIS FOR YOUR VIDEO HEY CHRIS HERE"

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Timby posted:

He probably highlighted a line in all caps: "CHRIS DELETE THIS FOR YOUR VIDEO HEY CHRIS HERE"

I am no game programmer but to me that didn't look like anything he did was either meaningful or important and was just there to add gravitas to Chris "The Programming WiZ" Crobblerts word salad because you just know he was getting ready to ask for some cash.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Streetroller posted:

Until the engine is finished (hahaha), you can't even begin to layout a playable game from a tech standpoint.

While this seems logical, imo it's precisely this approach that's driven Star Citizen's failure beyond anything else. In practice, you need to be really clear about what your gameplay is supposed to be, then design gameplay systems to support that idea, then build the tech to support those systems. If you build tech without knowing what it's for, you end up with bloated, vague gameplay systems that don't work together in any coherent way. You end up with Star Citizen.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Toops posted:

While this seems logical, imo it's precisely this approach that's driven Star Citizen's failure beyond anything else. In practice, you need to be really clear about what your gameplay is supposed to be, then design gameplay systems to support that idea, then build the tech to support those systems. If you build tech without knowing what it's for, you end up with bloated, vague gameplay systems that don't work together in any coherent way. You end up with Star Citizen.

Even if you almost know what your gameplay is supposed to be, you can end up with a mess. See Gran Turismo 5.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Timby posted:

That video makes me laugh every goddamn time: Roberts pretending like he understands a single line of modern code, when his contributions to Wing Commander's gameplay were essentially pointing at the screen and saying "make it do this" (Steve Beeman and Warren Spector are responsible for it shipping), and on Wing Commanders III and IV he had essentially nothing to do with the actual gameplay, as he was more preoccupied with making his Top Gun in Space movie.

Dude understands code like I understand how to perform quintuple bypass surgery.

Didn't you hear?
He spends his evenings ghost refactoring everyone's code after they gone to bed, getting the precious few hours of sleep that the Code Whisperer allows them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

quote:

Dr David Levy, chairman of RCL, failed to attend the hearing. In an amended witness statement served the night before the hearing he claimed that he was too scared to attend because he was worried about "having his cock chopped off" by "trolls" whom he said had been urged to meet "outside the court in Luton tomorrow". No such gathering took place.

:ese: