Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Shinjobi posted:

I've been avoiding the black bars. Comes with the territory of starting the game late.

No harm no foul, friend.:)

That's good, I was just worried about all the untagged discussion of Futaba and various other social links, but I guess none of it was exactly revelatory plot-twists or anything :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I saw someone streaming P5 on twitch and just realised that in the restaurant scene all the people you overhear while getting food are the people you meet in Shido's palace.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

CJ posted:

I saw someone streaming P5 on twitch and just realised that in the restaurant scene all the people you overhear while getting food are the people you meet in Shido's palace.

Oh, that's a neat touch.

That actually reminds me: I like how there are little narrative threads throughout the game with the NPCs you talk to or overhear, and how some of them end up being the subject of Mementos requests. Seeing how things develop with weird stalker girl or the critic who frequents LeBlanc is a neat little touch.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Sigh, I'm 4 liquid mercury shy of the eternal lockpick, and the three Anubis I've seen in Mementos don't seem interested in dropping any more of them.

Yay~

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Try Decabrias (Fifth Palace or the corresponding Mementos section). They're also way easier to knock down since they're weak to Phys.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Shinjobi posted:

Sigh, I'm 4 liquid mercury shy of the eternal lockpick, and the three Anubis I've seen in Mementos don't seem interested in dropping any more of them.

Yay~

I just did this last night. It's just random.

I'm on my way to the platinum. Looks like all I need is those two final rare treasure demons (last floor in mementos I think?) and get held hostage. I guess I should turn the difficulty up and let some enemies crit me or something.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Well, I finally beat the game.

The PSN email sent out showing total game time reminded me I hadn't finished and so I put in the effort the past few days to finish. I'd seen the plot twist early on but even so I enjoyed the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmQWH7P0gIE

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Just got the platinum last night. Total of 120 hours spent. What a game.

The only thing I want to criticize right now is how many cool looking high level persona you might never see on your first playthrough. Kind of wish there was a bonus dungeon where they would show up as bosses.

Thinking about replaying p3p then p4g later this year.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jan 24, 2018

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Still going through this. I am at around 30 hours and the 3rd palace is almost done.

Does auto recover use sp from 1 party member or a bit from everyone?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ulio posted:

Still going through this. I am at around 30 hours and the 3rd palace is almost done.

It uses whoever has the highest SP percentage first I believe, including non-active party members

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ineffiable posted:

Just got the platinum last night. Total of 120 hours spent. What a game.

The only thing I want to criticize right now is how many cool looking high level persona you might never see on your first playthrough. Kind of wish there was a bonus dungeon where they would show up as bosses.

Thinking about replaying p3p then p4g later this year.

I keep wanting to go back and clean up the last few trophies I have, but I'm worried that as soon as I do they'll announce the enhanced edition.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Pablo Gigante posted:

It uses whoever has the highest SP percentage first I believe, including non-active party members

Ok thanks.

Bikindok
May 3, 2012
I've just started playing this as my first Persona game and I'm enjoying it. I've just finished King Boxershorts' fight. Having some trouble getting the moves I want on my Personas, but I'm sure I'll figure this out soon. Ryuji is my dumb idiot best friend and I wouldn't trade him for anybody, Ann and Morgana are fine. The translation hasn't bothered me yet, and it probably never will just because I'm used to this kinda stilted style from other stuff.

Is there anything I should urgently know? I've been advised to prioritize the Doctor's conversations and also to do things on their proper day, but other than that?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It depends on how urgently you want to maximize your experience.

If you just want to chill out, have a good Phantom Thieves experience and only worry about 100%ing the game on a second playthrough, then do whatever.

If you're a min-maxer who wants to get as many trophies as possible we can give specific hints. That said, you can't Platinum the game without a second run anyway, so since this is your first foray into the franchise I recommend just enjoying the ride.

Minor things that can help though:

Every Sunday, you can stop by the juice stand in the underground walkway for a stat boost.

You can occasionally draw on the chalkboard in the classroom. Sometimes you get a Guts boost for doing so.

Bikindok
May 3, 2012
I'm not super worried about trying to 100% in one go, that seems less fun.

I didn't know about the blackboard thing, thanks!

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

If you want a ton of money confuse mementos bosses they will drop a shitton based on your luck, you will need tons of money overall in this game
Overall though check the shops a bunch there's various electronics you can get for your room that are helpful and can even affect hangout stuff with friends.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

ApplesandOranges posted:

It depends on how urgently you want to maximize your experience.

If you just want to chill out, have a good Phantom Thieves experience and only worry about 100%ing the game on a second playthrough, then do whatever.

If you're a min-maxer who wants to get as many trophies as possible we can give specific hints. That said, you can't Platinum the game without a second run anyway, so since this is your first foray into the franchise I recommend just enjoying the ride.

Minor things that can help though:

Every Sunday, you can stop by the juice stand in the underground walkway for a stat boost.

You can occasionally draw on the chalkboard in the classroom. Sometimes you get a Guts boost for doing so.

I had no idea about this and I've played through the game twice.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I think it only starts giving you guts sometime after the fifth palace.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Bikindok posted:

I'm not super worried about trying to 100% in one go, that seems less fun.

I didn't know about the blackboard thing, thanks!

You can get all the confidants maxed by making liberal use of the Fortune and Temperance confidants and doing the dungeons in 1 day is easy after death. I had 2 weeks spare at the end and managed to do all the other dumb achievements like read all the books.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Ulio posted:

:hfive: I just finished the 3rd palace last night, I'm about 38 hours in. I've had the game since launch though, I just keep putting it down for long periods. I want to try to power through it now though.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Hey P5 thread, apologies if this had been asked but as a novice I’m trying to avoid spoilers as I just started this and it’s my first in the series.

I’ve figured most things out but am wondering what I should be going for in fusing personas? Currently I’m level 15 and my persona slots are full of a variety of lvl 6 - 16 personas of mostly different types. I switch them around in combat to try and get elements for weaknesses, buffs etc. Is there some strategy I should be aware of? I kind of don’t get the whole fusing thing and have only done it once at the beginning and feel like I’m missing something.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

As a general priority you want element diversity, then particular skills you like or need, then levels, then maybe arcana to make Confidants easier. I suppose you could throw in element resistances somewhere in there but it's not essential. You always want to be fusing new things to keep up with your level, but as the game goes on making sure you have all the elements is key.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah, basically once you've unlocked all skills on a Persona, feel free to fuse them. You can always summon them back later from the Compendium if you need. You can fuse at any time though, you don't need to wait until they have all their skills. It just gives you more options when you do fuse.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Make sure you register anything you might want to resummon right before you fuse it though, the compendium version needs to be overwritten with any levelling and skill changes you've made otherwise you'll have to summon the starting version of that persona and build it up again.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Cool thanks all - I only have a few that have lots of skills (succubus, mandrake, berthi horse dude) so I’ll take a look at what makes sense given the above advice.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Try to fuse Personas with a decent spread of resistances and as few weaknesses as possible. If you can fuse a Persona with melee resistance that's super useful

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Personae that null/drain/repel phys are worth keeping for emergency cases even if they're several levels behind the rest of your roster. There are many enemies against which they make you functionally invincible, some of which are bosses.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

GimmickMan posted:

Personae that null/drain/repel phys are worth keeping for emergency cases even if they're several levels behind the rest of your roster. There are many enemies against which they make you functionally invincible, some of which are bosses.

This. Rangda got me through the last third of the game even though it was pretty significantly underleveled

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah, I have that paper demon dude and he’s saved my rear end a few times by giving me a “lol you can’t hurt me” option.

Also, I fuckin hate Morgana. Not even the “you need to go to bed” aspect, he’s just so smug an obnoxious about how smart he is. Then he’ll immediately do the dumbest poo poo he can whenever he can. And then he’s right back to making GBS threads on ryuji. I’m only on the part right after the fourth palace, so I really hope he gets knocked down a peg. At some point soon.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

screaden posted:

This. Rangda got me through the last third of the game even though it was pretty significantly underleveled

Same

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah I fused Shiki-Ouiji for the boss of the 3rd Palace, it made it a complete cakewalk.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Fusing like a motherfucker and taking names. Well, masks. Thanks thread, this is a great game but hooly poo poo my free time!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Man, this maid sideplot. Jesus.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

So, playing this for the first time, mid Palace 7 right now, and gently caress Palace 7. I just want to leave and try to finish up my feasible confidants

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

So, playing this for the first time, mid Palace 7 right now, and gently caress Palace 7. I just want to leave and try to finish up my feasible confidants

I mean, you can.

It might sound weird but you don't have to do the dungeon in one day.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

I mean, you can.

It might sound weird but you don't have to do the dungeon in one day.

But's it's burning daylight, which I need for Ryuji and Futaba (Tower too I guess, but I haven't spoken to him again since getting down shot).

Ah well. What's another 100 hours for NG+, right?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's actually kinda impressive you've made it seven dungeons without maxing Ryuji

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

It's actually kinda impressive you've made it seven dungeons without maxing Ryuji

I didn’t realize you could only eavesdrop on the track coach on very specific days, and kept blowing him off to very inefficiently level my social stats

But I did manage to max those!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I nearly went to the moon. I did not go to the moon.

Dungeon was okay, music was the best part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Anyone else find the dialogue to be too repetitive and too much of it? I know it is on par with most JRPGS but this was next level repetition. Like once you finish a palace there is like so many groups calls which are basically did we change their hearts? That is just one example.

irlZaphod posted:

:hfive: I just finished the 3rd palace last night, I'm about 38 hours in. I've had the game since launch though, I just keep putting it down for long periods. I want to try to power through it now though.

Ya I am playing it pretty much the same way. Fortunately it is a pretty easy game to get back into with the story recap built in and lots of the important stuff gets repeated a lot.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Feb 2, 2018