Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Leveling bard, I'm at 44 now. When should I be using Barrage? I've just been using it on Heavier Shot procs, but I'm not sure if that's correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lizard Wizard posted:

Leveling bard, I'm at 44 now. When should I be using Barrage? I've just been using it on Heavier Shot procs, but I'm not sure if that's correct.

Barrage you should be using on cooldown for Heavy Shot. Eventually you'll get a skill called Empyreal Arrow, you'll want to use Barrage on that almost always from that point on, but only in Wanderer's Minuet because the cooldowns on your songs, Raging Strikes, and Barrage are all 80 seconds and WM does the most damage, so you want to boost both that and your Barrage burst with Raging Strikes. At 70 you get a skill called Refulgent Arrow that you can spend your Straighter Shot procs on instead that you can also use Barrage on, and it does the most damage out of any of your other weaponskills, but it's only worth it if it procs right before you were going to use it anyway, it's not worth fishing for.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

help, I'm addicted to it and can't stop taking pictures for the new Eorzean J. Crew catalog.

I wish my machine was a bit better because all of my screenshots come out kind of blurry. Not nearly as smooth as some of the others I see in this thread.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Mazed posted:

I'm not sure how to feel about all the new PvP gear being "Republican"
They are trying to invoke Roman Empire... eh, I mean Roman Republic, I believe (more like something between 90s tattoos and bats, at least for casters)

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Leofish posted:

I wish my machine was a bit better because all of my screenshots come out kind of blurry. Not nearly as smooth as some of the others I see in this thread.

Depending on your GPU, try downloading the GeForce Experience program or (AMD alternative here.) It’ll optimize your settings, check your FPS and see if things aren’t a bit clearer.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Has there been much in the way of impressions or numbers on how Monk 4.2 is panning out?

Not that I'd expect too much, since it really just seemed like minor tweaks, but I'd love to actually roll up on Kefka Savage with fists.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Basically the same, though 60s cooldown on perfect balance is super nice for dungeons.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Yes, PB going from "maybe I should hold onto this" to "definitely use on cooldown" territory is really good. I don't think adding self crits to Brotherhood is an enormous gain but it's still a gain.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
does brotherhood work on a per attack basis or per crit? like if i use brotherhood and a BLM crit flares 5 guys do i get 1 chakra or 5?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
"Always pay sticker price and not a dime more" - Hank Hill - Alphinaud Leviaitaneull

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Saint Freak posted:

"Always pay sticker price and not a dime more" - Hank Hill - Alphinaud Leviaitaneull

I eagerly await stumbling upon this, oh my god

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Kuvo posted:

does brotherhood work on a per attack basis or per crit? like if i use brotherhood and a BLM crit flares 5 guys do i get 1 chakra or 5?

monk passive is % chance on every crit you do
Brotherhood is % chance on every weaponskill used by raid

Mazed posted:

Has there been much in the way of impressions or numbers on how Monk 4.2 is panning out?

Not that I'd expect too much, since it really just seemed like minor tweaks, but I'd love to actually roll up on Kefka Savage with fists.

world first clearing job
mantra still good

Logicspren
Oct 21, 2010

Kuvo posted:

Even though they both generate meditation stacks, don't confuse the effect of Brotherhood with the effect of Deep Meditation. Brotherhood is a 30% chance per weaponskill executed by a party member with the Brotherhood buff to generate a meditation charge. Note that it's weaponskills and not spells or abilities, so the BLM in your party will not generate you anything with Brotherhood (In all fairness, they gain nothing from it either because Brotherhood increases physical damage). Deep Meditation is a flat 50% chance to generate a meditation charge when you crit with a weaponskill.

That said, Brotherhood DOES work on a per-weaponskill basis, meaning that a NIN will typically generate more stacks for you than a DRG. Also, the RDM melee combo buttons are all weaponskills so they can generate you meditation stacks, making them the only caster that can boost your damage that way.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Trasson posted:

Summoner works like this:

Every one minute you get fifteen seconds of pure unadulterated murder power capped off with a mega explosion.

Anyone "saving" pure unadulterated murder power for bosses when they could be improving their Deathflares Per Dungeon count is completely wrong.

Also, you set up all that murder-power by infecting a dude with magical AIDS and Ebola at the same time, broadcasting his pain to all his buddies, infecting them with your magical hell-cocktail, and then blasting all of them with each other’s pain again, using their shared agony as a blood-sacrifice to channel a draconic god of destruction through your body and rain fifteen seconds of magical hell upon them.

Or, if you’re going single-target, you trigger the magical diseases ravaging that poor sucker’s body to go into overdrive and rip them apart, then you tear off a bit of their soul to fuel your spells, then you kick those diseases into overdrive again.

Why in Bahamut’s name would you want to skimp on that level of creative sadism?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I just started leveling SMN and I have no idea what I'm doing in POTD. What's the rotation like?

I tried to look this up on reddit and just got people whining about a 2% DPS nerf

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I'm so glad that I discovered you can use the strafe buttons to rotate the camera instead of having to try to get the slider to land on 150 by dragging the knob.

Allagan/High Allagan gear works really nicely for a 'battlecaster' look.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Trying to “save” dreadwyrm trance is like never casting blood of the dragon or enochian because you want to make sure the cooldown is available for the boss. It’s a beefy part of the class’ damage.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

RME posted:

monk passive is % chance on every crit you do
Brotherhood is % chance on every weaponskill used by raid

i am dumb and have not played monk in a long time

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Mazed posted:

monk is probably at least as good as sam, probably better because brotherhood helps your bros out as well. if you like the class there is no reason not to bring it into savage.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Monk was already like #1-#3 spots in all of the top savage damages so I'm happy to say its now beyond 1. Its actually a new rank 0 that fflogs had to invent.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

I just started leveling SMN and I have no idea what I'm doing in POTD. What's the rotation like?

I tried to look this up on reddit and just got people whining about a 2% DPS nerf

Always use Ifrit unless you desperately need Titan as a distraction when soloing, keep your DOTs up, use Ruin II outside Dreadwyrm and Ruin III inside it, pop Shadow Flare when you’ve got it, try to cast Rouse just before Enkindle, and remember that there’s a slight lag before your DOTs kick in, so don’t Bane or Fester too early. Also, your single-target Aetherflow burn is Fester-Drain-Fester, and your AOE burn is Painflare-Bane-Painflare. That’s the basics.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Leofish posted:

Tell it to save as .png files instead of .jpg. For some reason the game compresses the ever-loving crap out of the JPG files it creates so they look awful.

Blockhouse posted:

your rotation is to equip a DRG, MNK, or MCH job stone SMN's rotation changes quite a lot depending on what level you're at. At very low levels, you'll want to throw your DoTs around, spam Ruin, and use your one Aetherflow stack to Energy Drain stuff. Once you hit 30, you'll have two Aetherflow stacks and you get Bane, which lets you spread DoT effects to nearby enemies, so you only need to cast them on one target in AOE situations. 35 gets you Fester, which basically replaces Energy Drain except under very specific circumstances. Rouse and Enkindle are nice and can (normally) be used on cooldown for a boost in DPS, same with Shadow Flare.

Once you start getting the 50s, SMN goes from "it's okay i guess" to "actually pretty good." Painflare is a very powerful AOE nuke even after getting slapped with a nerf, Tri-Disaster applies both of your DoT effects to a target and increases Ruin spell potency by 20 for 15 seconds. Dreadwyrm Trance and Deathflare at 58/60 are when the job really comes together. DWT can be used after burning three Aetherflow stacks, and increases all magic damage by 10% while it's running, makes Ruin III instant cast, resets Tri-Disaster's cooldown, and changes Tri-Bind from a useless spell to a halfway-decent spammable AOE. Also, while you're in it you can use Deathflare, which is a 400 potency AOE nuke (with falloff, but that's still pretty drat good), though normally you'll want to use it right at the end of the trance window because it ends after use.

60-69 is mostly upgrades to your existing abilities, and Aetherpact/Devotion, which is a 2% party-wide damage boost that's...better than nothing I guess. Level 70, on the other hand, finally lets you say gently caress it and Summon Bahamut. Bahamut is your weird dumb autistic son. He'll follow up any enemy-targeted attack you do with a 150 potency attack of his own; this includes Aetherflow abilities and even Addle, so you usually want to hold off on summoning him until you have Aetherflow back up. Just as importantly, you can drop loving Akh Morn on things during this. That's a 680 potency (!) AOE nuke (!!) that you can use twice (!!!) per Bahamut window. Damage falls off on multiple targets like most AOEs, but it still hits absurdly hard.

Short version of the rotation: low-levels are just DOT maintenance and Ruin spam with the occasional Energy Drain. Once you get Bane and Fester, cast your DoTs onto one target, Bane, and replace Energy Drain with Fester, use stuff like Rouse/Enkindle and Shadow Flare when they're up, spam Ruin. In the 50's, use Tri-D to throw DoT stuff up when you can, Painflare on multiple targets, go into DWT when you can (unless Tri-Disaster is about to come off of cooldown naturally) and try to have it end before your next Aetherflow comes back up. Also, don't use Aetherflow when you have stacks of Dreadwyrm Aether, it doesn't work. At 70, hold off on breaking out Bahamut until you have Aetherflow stacks (and ideally Tri-Disaster and Addle) back up for maximum damage, and remember that Akh Morn doesn't end Bahamut so you can use it twice. Once you get to 70 and start doing high-end content, there's a bunch of variables and it can quite often be worth cutting a Dreadwyrm Trance off early to race to Bahamut ASAP, but that's pretty advanced stuff that you don't need to worry about for a while.

One oddity of SMN is that your main GCD filler spells are incredibly bad outside of the Tri-Disaster window; 120 potency is basically a wet fart even compared to RDM's Jolt, tanks' rotation attacks, or healers' Broil II/Malefic II/Stone MCXVIII. The vast majority of your damage isn't coming from spamming the big casts, it's coming from DoTs, Aetherflow stuff, and DWT/Bahamut. On that note, you'll want to use Ruin II a lot so that you can weave oGCD stuff in easily. Also on that note, you're actually the best person to do Resurrections, since losing a GCD window is less significant to you than it is to any other job that can do raises.

Solo Wing Pixy fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 2, 2018

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

Always use Ifrit unless you desperately need Titan as a distraction when soloing, keep your DOTs up, use Ruin II outside Dreadwyrm and Ruin III inside it, pop Shadow Flare when you’ve got it, try to cast Rouse just before Enkindle, and remember that there’s a slight lag before your DOTs kick in, so don’t Bane or Fester too early. Also, your single-target Aetherflow burn is Fester-Drain-Fester, and your AOE burn is Painflare-Bane-Painflare. That’s the basics.

Wouldn't you want to use Fester-Fester-Fester for single target? I can't imagine that the loss of the 120 potency (since Painflare is 180, so you'd want to use it instead of ED) would be worth getting into DWT a little bit faster since you can only do it once every 60 seconds anyway.

Cripes, this looks so complicated compared to BLM.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!

vOv posted:

Wouldn't you want to use Fester-Fester-Fester for single target? I can't imagine that the loss of the 120 potency (since Painflare is 180, so you'd want to use it instead of ED) would be worth getting into DWT a little bit faster since you can only do it once every 60 seconds anyway.

Cripes, this looks so complicated compared to BLM.

Welcome, you have entered the SMN Zone. Nothing makes sense, but at least you can summon your own stoner brother.

Normally, you do want to Ruin II-Fester-Ruin III-Ruin II-Fester-Ruin III-Ruin II-Fester assuming you have your DOTs up. The exception is in the raid opener, where you start a fight with three Aetherflow stacks and Aetherflow off of cooldown. For that, you want to blow through your Aetherflow stacks as quickly as possible, in which case you'll do Fester-Painflare-Fester because it gets you into DWT a few seconds quicker, which means you can get out of DWT quicker, which means you can get your second set of Aetherflows quicker. Energy Drain is nearly pointless on SMN: the only time I use it is when I inevitably die and need the extra MP.

Or just look at the picture guide.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Trying to “save” dreadwyrm trance is like never casting blood of the dragon or enochian because you want to make sure the cooldown is available for the boss. It’s a beefy part of the class’ damage.

Literally the only time I save my trance is when it's the last dude/dudes on a trash pull before the boss.

Or in other words 'it's less than a minute to the boss, i'll save my trance so i can trance harder!'

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Cleared The Jade Stoa (Extreme).

Leofish posted:

I am, however, disappointed that Diabolic Whistle was not called "Evil Toot."

:same:

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Welcome, you have entered the SMN Zone. Nothing makes sense, but at least you can summon your own stoner brother.

Normally, you do want to Ruin II-Fester-Ruin III-Ruin II-Fester-Ruin III-Ruin II-Fester assuming you have your DOTs up. The exception is in the raid opener, where you start a fight with three Aetherflow stacks and Aetherflow off of cooldown. For that, you want to blow through your Aetherflow stacks as quickly as possible, in which case you'll do Fester-Painflare-Fester because it gets you into DWT a few seconds quicker, which means you can get out of DWT quicker, which means you can get your second set of Aetherflows quicker. Energy Drain is nearly pointless on SMN: the only time I use it is when I inevitably die and need the extra MP.

Aha, I was looking for this, thank you!

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

All of the above is true. I switched to SMN for the current tier becuase RDM got boring as hell (I still love it though). SMN I have no idea how to play or what Im doing I just push a bunch of buttons that the above guide told me to push and suddenly I'm top of the chart. Its a silly job.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
The completely smashed NPC who walks up to a Mender and asks him to mend his marriage is my loving hero

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Cleared The Jade Stoa (Extreme).

Welcome to the "stepped on by tiger daddy" club.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Holy poo poo, okay, everything actually makes sense now. Thanks.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

So I've played SMN since launch of 2.0 and I still have no idea why I'd use ruin 2. It's weaker, and the only downside I see is that you can't move while casting. The GCD is the same either way so I don't really get why to use it, but the thing is everyone recommends it so I would appreciate it if someone explained why so I can git gud

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Gloomy Rube posted:

So I've played SMN since launch of 2.0 and I still have no idea why I'd use ruin 2. It's weaker, and the only downside I see is that you can't move while casting. The GCD is the same either way so I don't really get why to use it, but the thing is everyone recommends it so I would appreciate it if someone explained why so I can git gud

You can cast Ruin 2 and immediately cast an ogcd, like fester, and not clip your next spell. If you tried to weave that fester (or whatever) right between two real spells, there is a delay between casts. ruin 2 makes slightly better use of that delay.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 2, 2018

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gloomy Rube posted:

Being able to use it while moving is a big plus. It means that you can toss it while dodging aoes or whatever.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Being able to use it while moving is a big plus. It means that you can toss it while dodging aoes or whatever.

Yeah, this was the part I got.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

You can cast Ruin 2 and immediately cast an ogcd, like fester, and not clip your next spell. If you tried to weave that fester (or whatever) right between two real spells, there is a delay between casts. ruin 2 makes slightly better use of that delay.

This was the part I did not get. So I wouldn't be able to weave fester in as well between a ruin 3 and another ruin 3 as I would between ruin 2 and ruin 3?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Gloomy Rube posted:

This was the part I did not get. So I wouldn't be able to weave fester in as well between a ruin 3 and another ruin 3 as I would between ruin 2 and ruin 3?

Right. There is a minor delay when you cast oGCDs. it takes ~.7 seconds, give or take latency. If you cast ruin 3, fester, ruin 3, that second ruin is delayed by that oCGD.

Since ruin 2 causes uses your full ~2.4 GCD anyways, you can safely cast 1 or 2 oGCDS in that time period. Basically you use that ruin 2 when you want to use your ogcd, and it uses your time a bit more efficiently.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
It's more that you can Ruin 2 in addition to an OGCD for roughly the same GCD cost.

It's practically free damage.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Gloomy Rube posted:

No, because any oGCD has a small amount of animation lock during which you can't do anything else. So you can do R2 -> Fester -> R3 faster than you can do R3 -> Fester -> R3. Even though Ruin 2 has won't let you get your next GCD off any faster, it lets you do other stuff in the meanwhile.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Okay, thanks, that's a huge help. Do BLMs do anything similar with scathe? (Or did, I'm having trouble imagining someone working that in while keeping enochian up)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!

Gloomy Rube posted:

Yeah, this was the part I got.

The gist of it is that when you use a GCD ability, like a Bio, Miasma, or Ruin, you can't use another one of those abilities until the GCD cycles, which takes very roughly 2.5 seconds. You can, however, use oGCD abilities during that time period unless you're actually casting something, so you could use Ruin II then (for example) Fester right away. If you're casting Ruin III, obviously you wouldn't be able to use the oGCD during that time. You could cast Ruin III, Fester, then Ruin III again, but even though the Fester is instant cast, it still has an animation lockout of a bit less than a second, so it delays the next GCD cast a bit, which adds up over a long fight.

Weaving versus using the hardcast and eating the delay is more of a question mark on Scholar, because Broil II (which has a cast time) is much, much stronger than Ruin II (which doesn't) but on SMN, where the difference between Ruin II and Ruin III is only 20 potency and a bit more MP usage, you want to weave every time.