Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Everyone has read the devil and Daniel Webster right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Tias posted:

I just came across the story of Uppsala theology student Daniel Salthenius, who made a pact with the devil to help him with his studies, exactly 300 years ago today.

Imagine when he rocks up in hell, and meets all the people who sold their souls for awesome power, unbridled sensual delights, or the darkest secrets of the universe, and admits he had just left it too late to revise for a test.

Spam Musubi
Jan 17, 2018

Cheap, Affordable, and Tasty!
Wrap me in rice like you would with your mother.
The Screwtape Letters are a favorite among me.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

AutisticAwl posted:

The Screwtape Letters are a favorite among me.

are you triune

Spam Musubi
Jan 17, 2018

Pellisworth posted:

are you triune

No, just throwing it out there.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

AutisticAwl posted:

No, just throwing it out there.

It was a (bad) grammar joke. You said it was a favorite "among me" which means there are more than two of you.

It's a good book. That and The Great Divorce are the only C.S. Lewis I really like

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 30, 2018

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Mr Enderby posted:

Imagine when he rocks up in hell, and meets all the people who sold their souls for awesome power, unbridled sensual delights, or the darkest secrets of the universe, and admits he had just left it too late to revise for a test.
given what universities and elementary education were like until roughly fifteen minutes ago, he's going to have company

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HEY GUNS posted:

given what universities and elementary education were like until roughly fifteen minutes ago, he's going to have company

As long as there are finals, there will be prayer in school.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

HEY GUNS posted:

haaa hahahahahaaha

i meant that to be tongue in cheek but perhaps not

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Senju Kannon posted:

i meant that to be tongue in cheek but perhaps not
it was a solid joke, i was complimenting you

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

HEY GUNS posted:

in our court or theirs? how do you even try a demon, who has jurisdiction

And how do you serve papers?

http://kevinunderhill.typepad.com/Documents/Mayo_v_Satan.pdf

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Pellisworth posted:

It was a (bad) grammar joke.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

https://twitter.com/religiousgames/status/958571677738258432

I want this to be real so bad 😢

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

AutisticAwl posted:

We are evangelical. My life differs a lot from many other kids growing up. Every Sunday since birth, I’m up at 6:45 going to church, setting up everything. Not a whole a lot of unannounced visitors coming to my house to talk to my parents, unless it’s urgent counseling. It’s more like urgent help needed somewhere. For example, last week, a member of our church went through divorce with an abusive wife. So my dad left at 2AM to go talk and pray with the dude.
So...my priest's daughter is happy with her life, but she also kinda resents her father a little. When she was growing up, it was like he was always "on" for everyone, and had less time for the kids as a result. Thoughts?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
https://www.thenation.com/article/the-walls-of-this-church-are-the-only-thing-standing-between-amanda-morales-and-deportation/

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

HEY GUNS posted:

So...my priest's daughter is happy with her life, but she also kinda resents her father a little. When she was growing up, it was like he was always "on" for everyone, and had less time for the kids as a result. Thoughts?

That sort of problem hardly seems unique to priests though, the idea of a dad who gets too involved in the work at the expense of being emotionally close to his children is something you hear all the time. I tend to suspect that that behavior reflects a fear of intimacy with children on the part of the father, and hopefully that sense that this behavior doesn't come from a place of straightforward malice can make it easier to forgive.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Church asylum was discussed quite a bit here in Germany recently during the height of the refugee crisis, when over the 2015/16 years almost 2.200 people found refuge there - only a drop in the bucket compared to the >1 million people that arrived altogether during that time, but still. I noticed that the vast majority of churches who offered sanctuary were Protestant, with only about 11% of all churches being Catholic, even though the largest chunk of cases by far was in Bavaria (the first state to enter Germany in due to most of the refugees arriving either from Italy or the Balkans, in both cases via Austria), which is notoriusly Catholic. I wonder why that is - is it maybe the hierarchical nature of the Church that makes it more difficult for local clergy/laity to open their church to asylum seekers without the ordinary's explicit approval?

In conclusion: bring back the 1917 CIC text on church asylum imo:

quote:

Ecclesia iure asyli gaudet ita ut rei, qui ad illam confugerint, inde non sint extrahendi, nisi neccessitas urgeat, sine assensu Ordinarii, vel saltem rectoris ecclesiae.

----------------------------------------

The Church enjoys the the right of offering asylum, so that those accused, which might take refuge with Her, mustn't be removed from the premises without approval of the ordinary or at least the respective church's rector, as long as necessity doesn't dictate otherwise.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Is there any country that still recognizes a legal right of sanctuary? In the US, at least, there's nothing but optics that keeps INS from forcing their way into that church and dragging that woman and her son off, as far as I know.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
As someone who was dragged off the street trying to protect asylum seekers in a Copenhagen church: No, there's nothing to it but optics, but those can be rather effective some times.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Epicurius posted:

Is there any country that still recognizes a legal right of sanctuary? In the US, at least, there's nothing but optics that keeps INS from forcing their way into that church and dragging that woman and her son off, as far as I know.

This German dissertation mentions that the current concordats between the Holy See and the countries of Italy and Spain at least contain some traces of legal sanctuary; the Italian one (1984) requires state officials to notify the responsible Church authorities before entering ecclesiastical grounds "in the pursuance of their duties". The clause also says that it doesn't apply in "emergencies" without explaining what constitutes one, though, so I imagine that state officials would still have a relatively easy time to break up sanctuary if they wanted to.

Probably the strongest contender for "recognises some sort of sanctuary" would be Spain. The Spanish concordat (1979) stipulates that "[c]hurches are guaranteed inviolability according to the Law", and even dropped an "emergency" clause similar to the Italian one that had been part of the preceding 1953 concordat.

In Germany, the last possible venues for at least sort-of legal sanctuary were scrubbed from the books in 1879. Two 19th century concordats, namely the 1855 one for Austria and the 1862 one for Ecuador, make explicit mention of the ecclesiastical right to offer sanctuary, but in Austria this right was suppressed soon afterwards (in 1870 by the latest, I believe), whereas in Ecuador it remained in force until unilaterally being revoked in 1904. A couple of Vatican concordats with the Baltics and Poland from the 20s give ecclesiastical sanctuary at least some consideration, but I imagine that those treaties lost any remaining legal power during/after WW2.

e: that's only for Christian/Catholic states, of course; no idea if legal sanctuary still exists in other religions/states

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Epicurius posted:

No but churches (like anyone else) are allowed to refuse entry to law enforcement officials unless they have a warrant. It'd be a PR nightmare for ICE.

Spam Musubi
Jan 17, 2018

HEY GUNS posted:

Sometimes I feel the same way. But you have to think about that situation for it to make sense. He’s going out there, helping needy people with things beyond their control. Sometimes my dad would counsel people for 5,6,7+ hours straight. Sometimes I wouldn’t see him until maybe 10:30 at night. But I would know that someone that day got help.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I think it's like what I've brought up in this and past threads. My grandfather was a doctor, and tended to be very busy and emotionally distant when my mom and aunt were growing up; but when he died, practically the entire small town they lived in came out to the funeral. In essence, you're kind of expected to share your father with the rest of the community.

Spam Musubi
Jan 17, 2018

Keromaru5 posted:

I think it's like what I've brought up in this and past threads. My grandfather was a doctor, and tended to be very busy and emotionally distant when my mom and aunt were growing up; but when he died, practically the entire small town they lived in came out to the funeral. In essence, you're kind of expected to share your father with the rest of the community.

This :angel:

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Is there a patron saint for walking on icy surfaces?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

CountFosco posted:

Is there a patron saint for walking on icy surfaces?

Saint Lidwina is the patron saint of ice skaters.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Thanks v. much. We got a layer of ice here which is so slick as to border on the unbelievable, and I can use all the help I can get.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

CountFosco posted:

Thanks v. much. We got a layer of ice here which is so slick as to border on the unbelievable, and I can use all the help I can get.

Salt on asphalt/gravel, zeolite/gravel traction-aid or chlorine/sodium-free ice melter on cement and paving stone.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ceciltron posted:

Salt on asphalt/gravel, zeolite/gravel traction-aid or chlorine/sodium-free ice melter on cement and paving stone.
the canadian speaks truth

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

AutisticAwl posted:

Sometimes I feel the same way. But you have to think about that situation for it to make sense. He’s going out there, helping needy people with things beyond their control. Sometimes my dad would counsel people for 5,6,7+ hours straight. Sometimes I wouldn’t see him until maybe 10:30 at night. But I would know that someone that day got help.
on the other hand, the last time lyudmilla from church got drunk, she threw up in his car

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

HEY GUNS posted:

on the other hand, the last time lyudmilla from church got drunk, she threw up in his car

Somewhere in the canons of the Orthodox churches is a requirement for all leather interiors.

Vinyl may be substituted if the local church is lacking in funds.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

HEY GUNS posted:

that's one way to get tenure

If SAL has taught me anything, that's the only way

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Pershing posted:

Somewhere in the canons of the Orthodox churches is a requirement for all leather interiors.

Vinyl may be substituted if the local church is lacking in funds.

Could you imagine the blasphemy of having an interior woven of two kinds of textiles?

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Caufman posted:

Could you imagine the blasphemy of having an interior woven of two kinds of textiles?

Rich 1st and 2nd Corinthian leather!

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Caufman posted:

Pershing posted:

Rich 1st and 2nd Corinthian leather!

You are both my heroes today

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Feb 2, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/SocialPowerOne1/status/959147933143777280?ref_src=twcamp%5Eshare%7Ctwsrc%5Em5%7Ctwgr%5Eemail%7Ctwcon%5E7046%7Ctwterm%5E0

Natural selection in action.

I hate fundies.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

-

pidan fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 13, 2018

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

quote:

Finally, certain windy foodstuffs (including beans) produced an excess of flatulence, which in turn produced an erection.

what is even going on in these monasteries

Cythereal posted:

Natural selection in action.

I hate fundies.

Gloria Copeland is the one who thinks taking anti-anxiety medication is sinful and faithful Christians need to get off of it ASAP.

Great medical advice for all the old people who listen to her and have been on benzodiazepines for decades considering the withdrawals can actually kill you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

pidan posted:

Monk Stuff

Rammstein! Yes!

Also it turns out that a diet of fish, pickled vegetables and cold water is a pretty good one, imo.

• Locked thread