Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Eela6 posted:

Are you saying that all portrayals of guns in media are equally bad?

One Could. Are you?

Honestly I don't know much about the show but given the general formula of these moe things I'd imagine its largely nonviolent outside of slapstick whereas killing bites besides its campy but very graphic violence cold opens with a group of men dragging a teenage girl into a speeding van and attempting to rape her. It seems hypocritical to me to be so incredibly disgusted by what is probably a generic fanservice harem thing and fine with the latter as if 'real guns really kill people all the time' but real kidnappings and rapes aren't a big issue. For the record I thought killing bites was boring but fun and the other thing sounds like trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I mean honestly, it's fine in certain places and I might even like it. It's just not what I wanted or expected. Maybe I'll want to watch it some other time down the line.

All I got from this thread before the trailer came on was "girls who are serious about gambling and sometimes scary" which is...a bit of an understatement, I feel.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Phobophilia posted:

isnt the chinese boatgirl ripoff doing well because the original is programmed like poo poo and wont even run on smartphones that everyone would otherwise use to play granblue or fgo

Kancolle isn’t a very aggressive franchise and that helped Azur Lane get a foothold. But also just in general it’s a real easygoing mobage where you can p easily get all the ships for free, give or take a few based on luck. It has a lot of design values kancolle had, but executed better and attached to interactive gameplay. Also the character designs are personalized compared to Kancolle girls sharing uniforms within their classes and often looking like sets of sisters.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I don't see how you get that from the last page or two

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

DisDisDis posted:

Honestly I don't know much about the show but given the general formula of these moe things I'd imagine its largely nonviolent outside of slapstick whereas killing bites besides its campy but very graphic violence cold opens with a group of men dragging a teenage girl into a speeding van and attempting to rape her. It seems hypocritical to me to be so incredibly disgusted by what is probably a generic fanservice harem thing and fine with the latter as if 'real guns really kill people all the time' but real kidnappings and rapes aren't a big issue. For the record I thought killing bites was boring but fun and the other thing sounds like trash

If you're trying to say "you are somewhat hypocritical in your standards for entertainment", sure, you got me.

It's still gross. Fetishizing the machine of murder as a cute girl is gross, and it's not played as gross.

It creeps me out.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Knorth posted:

I don't see how you get that from the last page or two

If you're responding to me, I watched the trailer like 12 hours ago. The conversations prior to that in this thread weren't so in-depth.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Oh okay, fair enough then

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
For people who've seen both how do the kakwgurui manga and anime compare. The nail ripping and stuff was all there in the manga but somehow none of it seemed deserving of the reactions the anime has elicited

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I don't think they're very different except the anime made some of the faces even crazier.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Xinder posted:

I mean honestly, it's fine in certain places and I might even like it. It's just not what I wanted or expected. Maybe I'll want to watch it some other time down the line.

All I got from this thread before the trailer came on was "girls who are serious about gambling and sometimes scary" which is...a bit of an understatement, I feel.
Eh, it's fine. I just wanted to bust your chops a little because of the "I was interested until it got lewd and then I decided maybe not.", considering the things covered in Utena.

Now that I think about it a little bit, it wasn't that funny a joke.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
It's cool.

I just finished season 2 of Love Live and I'm wondering if my best option for watching the movie is actually buying it on Steam, because right now that's looking like my best option.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

DisDisDis posted:

For people who've seen both how do the kakwgurui manga and anime compare. The nail ripping and stuff was all there in the manga but somehow none of it seemed deserving of the reactions the anime has elicited

the anime having sound effects and not going as fast as you could read made it a little more gross for me

Also the anime gets rid of nail girl flicking people off like 5 times during the treasurer fight and that makes me incredibly mad

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
There are some good bugs in episode 1 of Kokkoku

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Eela6 posted:

If you're trying to say "you are somewhat hypocritical in your standards for entertainment", sure, you got me.

It's still gross. Fetishizing the machine of murder as a cute girl is gross, and it's not played as gross.

It creeps me out.

You can wanna watch what you wanna watch that's fine. I'm completely unbothered by some problematic things in media and very bothered by others and a lot of the time I couldn't give you a great reason why the two are different. You seem like, morally outraged that this thing exists at all though and theres a big inconsistency for me in being morally outraged by the anthropormization of a tool for violence that strips it of its violent significance (and its sexualization in the process) but not by the glorification of violence in general and exploitative use of sexual violence in another show. How many times can I say violence in a paragraph. People can have whatever preferences they like but I think they should be consistent about what they think is morally wrong to portray in media. (I'm getting this from your uh adjective use but sorry if I've misinterpreted you)

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I like the look of the weird Kokkoku monster and this neat end-card

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

also worth noting guns often exist in wildly different contexts depending where you are. something like upotte seems more innocent to me having come out of japan than america

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Dismissing upotte in 2018 is an odd thing to get hung up imo

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://files.catbox.moe/ljmoyd.webm
Grandpa....

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

DisDisDis posted:

You can wanna watch what you wanna watch that's fine. I'm completely unbothered by some problematic things in media and very bothered by others and a lot of the time I couldn't give you a great reason why the two are different. You seem like, morally outraged that this thing exists at all though and theres a big inconsistency for me in being morally outraged by the anthropormization of a tool for violence that strips it of its violent significance (and its sexualization in the process) but not by the glorification of violence in general and exploitative use of sexual violence in another show. How many times can I say violence in a paragraph. People can have whatever preferences they like but I think they should be consistent about what they think is morally wrong to portray in media. (I'm getting this from your uh adjective use but sorry if I've misinterpreted you)

I would like to be, and I think I am decent at it, but I can't separate myself from my cultural values and such. So there are probably things about the way I behave that are hypocritical to others. I'm not a perfect outside observer of morality, so all I can do is try my best!

I don't know much about this show at all; it just struck me as particularly weird. I guess I have nothing more to say here.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Eela6 posted:

I don't know much about this show at all;

Hell,

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Space Flower posted:

Kancolle isn’t a very aggressive franchise and that helped Azur Lane get a foothold. But also just in general it’s a real easygoing mobage where you can p easily get all the ships for free, give or take a few based on luck. It has a lot of design values kancolle had, but executed better and attached to interactive gameplay. Also the character designs are personalized compared to Kancolle girls sharing uniforms within their classes and often looking like sets of sisters.

Honestly, glancing at the wiki and seeing the artwork in Azur Lane gets an incredible "meh" from me. Yes, individual ships are technically more individualized within classes than Kancolle - which goes for a unified design scheme for sister ships - but there is basically no rhyme or reason at all. More importantly, a fair number of the designs themselves seem to be incredibly generic and greatly remind me of artwork from other Chinese games of this sort just with swapped equipment, right down to the poses being the same.

As a side note, Azur Lane is apparently getting hit with massive censorship (art and other stuff) on the images in China, as the government is instituting new regulations regarding the "moral degeneracy" of various mobages (Azur Lane was specifically called out - possibly the instigator of this - and FGO is at least being reviewed as well). Skimming the wikis, AL certainly seems, uh, significantly lewder overall than Kancolle as well - especially the purchasable skins - which certainly would have helped with its popularity. So who knows how censorship will affect its popularity.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Feb 2, 2018

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Eela6 posted:

It creeps me out.

In Japan guns are a thing that only exist on TV and videogames so their attitude towards them is going to be wildly different from someone who lives in the US.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Its not that deep people are horny for chicks in uniforms with fox ears

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
And hell,

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Cat ears are better imo. And wolf ears are the most powerful

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Lord Koth posted:

Honestly, glancing at the wiki and seeing the artwork in Azur Lane gets an incredible "meh" from me. Yes, individual ships are technically more individualized within classes than Kancolle - which goes for a unified design scheme for sister ships - but there is basically no rhyme or reason at all. More importantly, a fair number of the designs themselves seem to be incredibly generic and greatly remind me of artwork from other Chinese games of this sort just with swapped equipment, right down to the poses being the same.

As a side note, Azur Lane is apparently getting hit with massive censorship (art and other stuff) on the images in China, as the government is instituting new regulations regarding the "moral degeneracy" of various mobages (Azur Lane was specifically called out - possibly the instigator of this - and FGO is at least being reviewed as well). Skimming the wikis, AL certainly seems, uh, significantly lewder overall than Kancolle as well - especially the purchasable skins - which certainly would have helped with its popularity. So who knows how censorship will affect its popularity.

The censorship removed a lot of swimsuit outfits, which were often very lewd. It won’t really be a problem for the Japanese servers. Even before this happened Azur Lane already had de facto censorship because they would change the art and CG for the Chinese version specifically so they didn’t attract undue attention. But the Japanese server gets all the original assets, so for them it’s not a problem. I imagine a lot of Chinese players will just consider switching over to JP.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

VostokProgram posted:

Cat ears are better imo. And wolf ears are the most powerful

vostok with the most unsurprising normie taste as usual

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

DisDisDis posted:

vostok with the most unsurprising normie taste as usual

gently caress you!!!!

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

its not like fox ears are much more niche anyway. if you were really as avant-garde as you pretend to be, you'd be supporting snake ears

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Human ears and cat ears on the same person at the same time.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

VostokProgram posted:

its not like fox ears are much more niche anyway. if you were really as avant-garde as you pretend to be, you'd be supporting snake ears

okay but how do you feel about head wings

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Shark ampoulles are where it's at. Until other people are at them, in which case it's bacterial flaggelum.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
yeah post pics smartass

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Space Flower posted:

uh hello

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Space Flower posted:

these headwings look cute

these ones on the other hand look dumb

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lord Koth posted:

AL is becoming popular because its kancolle except they remembered to make the game part good instead of bad.

the thirst is just icing on the cake

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well they remembered to put a game part in more than it being good.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Space Flower posted:

yeah post pics smartass

I can't; that's why they're so niche and cool.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-J8hHKfLQQ

• Locked thread