Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

BattleMoose posted:

My entire family was heavily involved in anti-apartheid protests. My uncle was involved in a number of protests on the UCT campus leading to his arrest, he emigrated to the UK in the 1980s because apartheid is loving awful. My aunt and her husband emigrated to Australia also in the 80s also for apartheid is poo poo reasons. Her husband who was a nuclear physicist somehow got employed by the state but was never allowed to touch anything or do anything or know anything because of his very anti apartheid political leanings. My mom was very involved in the black sash organisation and I was dutifully dragged to all their charity raising events and so forth. We were also supposed to emigrate to Australia, also for apartheid is poo poo reasons but inconveniently my mom died of cancer so I ended up growing up and finishing my education in South Africa.

And when your neighbors, and I am not exaggerating here, get broken into, tied up, and stabbed by screwdrivers and raped until dead (happened more than once, obviously different neighbors because of being dead reasons!), you get to be grateful that that isn't your reality anymore.

Well done, you found the racists, good job!

South Africa is a nice place, but I too should warn everyone that when you as a white person go to the pub you are liable to get bored to tears by a lengthy paraphrase of the above speech by some old alcoholic afrikaner. Pretty much unavoidable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Friedman Doctrine is BWM if it makes democracy rear its ugly head.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
https://twitter.com/iamsosorry/status/958839243475996672

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Libertarian is constantly surprised real-world businesses don't operate like they would in his perfect fantasy world. Also water is wet.

MLM indoctrination starts earlier and earlier every year. :gonk:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Please don't post war crimes in the thread, thanks.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Better production values than I'd have expected for Al Qaeda recruiting posters.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Ahh that's adorable

It's like when that sheltered friend from high school finally moves out from his parent's at 25 and realizes that holy poo poo his viewpoints don't exactly align with reality and maybe that's why people are quick to bitch him out every time he contributes his 2 cents

Quite specific but I know y'all know the type

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Did you know that hornbills and toucans are actually unrelated? Their somewhat similarly large beaks are a result of convergent evolution.

i mean they aren't the same bird, but they're still Aves and convergent evolution or not they're still pretty closely related

they're in the same class

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I bought into BTC, LTC, and ETH on Monday so it's me, I'm BWM

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Hoodwinker posted:

G...gesundheit?

Up your Weekend Web game, dawg.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

:allears:

Why?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Thought I'd be able to sell it to someone else for more than I paid

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Ah yes the greater fool theory, a sound investment strategy.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

FrozenVent posted:

Ah yes the greater fool theory, a sound investment strategy.

In cryptocurrency markets, it's a safer bet than usual

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Cryptocurrencies are literally never "investments". They're just gambling.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Since Monday

BTC

LTC

ETH

But hey, could go back up to 20k by end of Feb, who knows! It's crypto!

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
No, it's "crapto". Crypto means "cryptography".

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

MLM + truck equity

If she didn't spend the $6000 on the LuLaRoe starter kit (plus however much additional money they've drained from her) she wouldn't have to beg other people to help pay for her fertility treatments.

Also, to continue with the unofficial thread theme

The horse became "quiet" because she is poisoning him. Animals + essential oils don't mix well.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
I don't think you should spend $9k for fertility treatments if you are completely broke. Do they know that actual babies cost money AFTER they are born too?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

I don't think you should spend $9k for fertility treatments if you are completely broke. Do they know that actual babies cost money AFTER they are born too?

They can swaddle the baby in unwanted LulaRoe leggings.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Are you sure the fertility treatments aren't for the horse?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Y'all know that super low income people can and do successfully raise children?

"the poors should not breed" is creepy and gross

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

I don't think you should spend $9k for fertility treatments if you are completely broke.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

"the poors should not breed"

I was always better at math than reading comprehension, but I'm like, almost positive those two sentences mean different things. Any English experts want to chime in? Asking for a friend.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Do they know that actual babies cost money AFTER they are born too?

here you go brah, you accidentally cut off the important part

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

quote:

I just did my taxes and it turns out I lost almost everything (self.CryptoCurrency)
submitted by latex_man

I bought 2 BTC in early 2017. I did a few trades between BTC and dollars but in the end effectively I sold it late in the year for about $40k and changed my mind and bought them back a few hours later. I got weak hands, what can I say.
Anyway, I still got that 2 BTC (and no cash). My accountant said because of my trades, I have to pay like 35% income taxes (short term gains) on it with state and federal, so like $15000. If I sell it now for $10k each I'm only gonna end up with $5k left over. He says I owe $15k by April no matter what happens this year to my bitcoins even though it crashed by 50%.
WTF?
gently caress taxes man. This is so hosed it's like I didn't earn anything.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I'm not sure you should spend 9k on fertility treatments instead of adoption, but I understand the compulsion to do so.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Kids are best represented as a percent of your income rather than actual amounts. Middle class people are just as cash strapped paying for kids as poor people, even if one spends more actual dollars than the other. So yeah, poor people can afford children surprisingly well.

There's a lot of BWM poo poo here we can pick on people for. Their desire to have children though should probably get a pass. That poo poo sucks when you want children, but can't have them.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Krispy Wafer posted:

There's a lot of BWM poo poo here we can pick on people for. Their desire to have children though should probably get a pass. That poo poo sucks when you want children, but can't have them.

You can adopt one of the countless orphan kids who want parents at least as much as you want children, and they can't spend $25k to create a set of parents in vitro.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Let's not go there. I wasn't judging her for trying to have a kid, I am judging her for going on GoFundMe to beg for "donations" because she pays to shill LLR instead of working a real job.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Phanatic posted:

You can adopt one of the countless orphan kids who want parents at least as much as you want children, and they can't spend $25k to create a set of parents in vitro.
Adopting kids isn't free either, although it does get cheaper if you're willing to adopt a kid in less in-demand categories(like older kids instead of babies).

Content:

Maxed credit cards thinking I would get a new job

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7um9j7/maxed_credit_cards_thinking_i_would_get_a_new_job/ posted:

Turns out I'm pretty much banned from my career for 8 years, thought I would be back to making 4 to 5 take home a month now problem .

I just maxed out a Dell account for new laptop 3.5k , 8k credit card in hotels and what not , I have a 10k loan and then finally a 22k car loan which I can afford to pay.

So right now in gonna have to neglect everything , do you think they will give me like 6 months to find a job ? I have a prospect hut they have to wait till I finish court which will take god knows how long

quote:

[–]magic_is_might 4 points 4 hours ago

Not sure why you thought it was a great idea to spend 3.5k on a laptop when you didn't even have a job? Return it, you have no business buying that.

And debt collectors are not going to be nice and wait 6 months. Go apply at any place you can.

[–]Discord_Kevin6709 [S] -9 points 3 hours ago

But I like it and already opened it , it feels nice having a nice thing . I promise I'll pay for it when I get a new job , same with all my debts. I don't get why they won't understand I'm just down in my luck. 11 years and not a missed payment.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Out of country adoption can cost between $50k and $100k, at least in Canada.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Haifisch posted:

Adopting kids isn't free either, although it does get cheaper if you're willing to adopt a kid in less in-demand categories(like older kids instead of babies).

Content:

Maxed credit cards thinking I would get a new job
"But I waaaaaaaant it!"

A literal man-child.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Banned from career for 8 years?

Talk about burying the lede, what glorious gently caress up led to an 8 year ban?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

I am heartbroken! Please help me understand why friends have kept silent, not donated or even acknowledged my GoFundMe plea. I am recovering from breast cancer and cannot afford the medicine I need. Only one man, from the 50 requests I sent, has donated. At first, I made excuses: “It’s the holidays.” Then I hoped folks were sending checks directly. Now, I’ve started to think: If so-and-so gave up her latte once a week, she could donate. It’s been over a month. How could close friends do this to me?

ANONYMOUS

Before answering the social question, let’s grapple with a moral one: When someone declares, “I am heartbroken,” does that become the immediate priority, requiring us to sugarcoat what follows in deference? Or is it better, as Nick Lowe put it musically, to be “Cruel to Be Kind” — speak the truth and drat the heartache, possibly causing more hurt to someone who doesn’t really want advice? There are a million paths here. Try to choose kindly.

I’m sorry that you are hurt, Anonymous. I can imagine the anguish of feeling abandoned by your friends. But when making intimate and possibly life-altering requests of others, do it in person — or at least by phone or direct email. You have essentially put up a digital flyer in the town square, sending your pals a form letter over the internet. (I can see myself ignoring it.)

I can also see how you talked yourself into this approach. It’s awkward to ask friends for cash. Your route was less direct. And there are all those heartwarming stories of tiny children with medical needs awash in GoFundMe loot. But I suggest you start over. Get on the phone. Do not mention your hurt feelings at the internet appeal or, for the love of caffeine, suggest they economize to subsidize you. (It’s their money!) Just ask from the heart. I predict happier results. Good luck!

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/01/style/breast-cancer-gofundme.html

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

CannonFodder posted:

Banned from career for 8 years?

Talk about burying the lede, what glorious gently caress up led to an 8 year ban?

quote:

[–]strokeme2 1 point 4 hours ago

What was your career? How did you get banned?

[–]Discord_Kevin6709 [-S] 0 points 4 hours ago

Trucking , had a rollover which is the biggest no no, more so than drugs or killing someone .

I have two companies right now that might take me but one if them s slavery wages which I refuse to support , talking spending all month in the truck and be lucky to take home $800.

The other I might be able to take home $2000 or more but they want the court and fines to be paid.
Oops.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I'm ok with a guy who rolls his 20 ton missile on wheels not being allowed in that profession anymore. But I'd imagine a long haul trucker may still be allowed to drive smaller things locally? Like, maybe this dude shouldn't drive a 53 foot trailer at 75mph on the highway, but he's probably got the chops for a florist van.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I'm ok with a guy who rolls his 20 ton missile on wheels not being allowed in that profession anymore. But I'd imagine a long haul trucker may still be allowed to drive smaller things locally? Like, maybe this dude shouldn't drive a 53 foot trailer at 75mph on the highway, but he's probably got the chops for a florist van.
But he doesn't waaaant to!

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
I love that story. Comments in the thread were good too.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I'm leaning towards "the poors should not breed" myself, especially in this age of wealth inequality, environmental stress, and technological birth control. After all, I don't want to take sex away from poor people. It's one of the things they can enjoy almost as well as the rich.

I'm also not a fan of this push for government mandated paid family leave. If you can not finance your 12 weeks of FMLA, perhaps that's a clue you should be on birth control until your finances improve.

I would also take it one step further and like to see those on TANF/SNAP benefits on mandatory birth control.

Because I do have some compassion, and a soft spot for children, I would support an increase in the cash value of TANF/SNAP benefits, but I would want that contingent on accountability measures such as mandatory birth control more so than able bodied work requirements or drug testing.

I understand this is a controversial opinion but do not understand why it is so controversial that it is rarely spoken aloud. Is there room for debate on whether and by how much should government and society discourage poor people from conceiving more poor people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Crazy Mike posted:

I'm leaning towards "the poors should not breed" myself, especially in this age of wealth inequality, environmental stress, and technological birth control. After all, I don't want to take sex away from poor people. It's one of the things they can enjoy almost as well as the rich.

I'm also not a fan of this push for government mandated paid family leave. If you can not finance your 12 weeks of FMLA, perhaps that's a clue you should be on birth control until your finances improve.

I would also take it one step further and like to see those on TANF/SNAP benefits on mandatory birth control.

Because I do have some compassion, and a soft spot for children, I would support an increase in the cash value of TANF/SNAP benefits, but I would want that contingent on accountability measures such as mandatory birth control more so than able bodied work requirements or drug testing.

I understand this is a controversial opinion but do not understand why it is so controversial that it is rarely spoken aloud. Is there room for debate on whether and by how much should government and society discourage poor people from conceiving more poor people?

Oooooooooooooh poo poo here we GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!