Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER

pubic works project posted:

I don't know. It's really loving annoying.

I keep on holding out hope that there is some sort of time merger with the time-displaced X-Men where they still end up back where they belong to fix time, but then they're duplicated or some poo poo and merged with their current versions...giving us the original X-Men back, but still with the character growth the kids went through.

I'm probably not being very clear on any of this because I am doped up on medicine and coffee at work right now.

I was hoping for something similar to this for a while and then I realized that nobody at Marvel has any idea what to do with the OG5. Now I just hope that they actually start writing some good stories that aren't mired in time travel pseudoscience that doesn't fall apart quicker than an Iceman castle on a hot summer's day. Literally nothing involving the Original Murderers Row makes sense. Why did this happen?

Aphrodite posted:

To be fair that's the ultimate dick move to the woman who stole her husband.

Are we speaking of Madelyne or, the ice birch, Emma?

Just finished Phoenix Resurrection or whatever the gently caress it's called.

It was booty. The fact that Scott gets resurrected and they have a moment only for him to die and Jean is kneeling next to his corpse? gently caress you Marvel!!!! :doom:

A never-ending gift, my friend.

AllNewJonasSalk fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
One thing that Unlimited does is there isn't the natural distance between releases, so it just feels like the X-Men are completely starting over every 8 issues now. I've pretty much liked everything post-Bendis but my big problem with it all is that they walk away from everything after the first couple of arcs.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

The latter, who just went through a whole mental breakdown about it.

Jean might be passed him, but she's not.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

If anything, Jean stole Madelyne's husband. (Well, not really. Cyclops did it to himself.)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
When did Gambit and Rogue become a thing? I was doing a big read through of Claremont's X-Men but quit a little bit after Xtinction Agenda and I'm not sure they'd even met by that point, Gambit was pretty new and mostly just being pissy about Storm no longer being his kid sidekick.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Skwirl posted:

When did Gambit and Rogue become a thing? I was doing a big read through of Claremont's X-Men but quit a little bit after Xtinction Agenda and I'm not sure they'd even met by that point, Gambit was pretty new and mostly just being pissy about Storm no longer being his kid sidekick.

It doesn't happen in Claremont's run on Uncanny, I know that much. He's off the comic a dozen issues or so after X-tinction Agenda, and it passes over to John Byrne and then (of all people) Scott Lobdell, who has like a 70 issue run.

I have no idea who originated Gambit and Rogue's romantic tension, but it could have been Lobdell. No clue, though.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Android Blues posted:

It doesn't happen in Claremont's run on Uncanny, I know that much. He's off the comic a dozen issues or so after X-tinction Agenda, and it passes over to John Byrne and then (of all people) Scott Lobdell, who has like a 70 issue run.

I have no idea who originated Gambit and Rogue's romantic tension, but it could have been Lobdell. No clue, though.

The earliest I can remember is in the Claremont/ Jim Lee X-men. Gambit star5s flirting with Rogue by the pool in issue 4. One of the first comics I bought.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Question IRL posted:

The earliest I can remember is in the Claremont/ Jim Lee X-men. Gambit star5s flirting with Rogue by the pool in issue 4. One of the first comics I bought.

Yeah, this is where it started, and it may have been a Jim Lee idea, since by that point, Claremont was barely writing the comic.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, this is where it started, and it may have been a Jim Lee idea, since by that point, Claremont was barely writing the comic.

Claremont wasn't writing it at all by Issue 4 - he quit after issue 3, primarily because he didn't like the fact that Marvel was giving artists greater creative control over writers. Odds are, it was a Jim Lee thing.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I prefer Scott/Emma to Scott/Jean. It seems like Emma was the partner he grew into. Also, didn't they already DO a five minute resurrection last goodbye thing with Jean's corpse like 5-10 years ago? So I wasn't so in love with that scene. But, whatever, it was OK. It was comics.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Gambit and Rogue are gonna go down in comics history as one of the most well known romances, mostly because of the Animated series.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Gambit and Rogue are gonna go down in comics history as one of the most well known romances, mostly because of the Animated series.

What about Wolverine and Morph

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

I said "one of" not "the most" which is what I would have said if I was talking about those guys.

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I think we're all forgetting Doop and Warbird, guys.

AllNewJonasSalk fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 2, 2018

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Endless Mike posted:

What about Governor General Howlett and Hercules?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

rantmo posted:

What about Governor General Howlett and Hercules?

I don't remember that episode of the X-Men cartoon

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Everybody knows the best relationship in the X-Men is Professor X and Magneto.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Alvarez IV posted:

Everybody knows the best relationship in the X-Men is Professor X and Magneto.

Charles is always psi texting Erik "you up?"

And Scott + Emma > Scott + Jean.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

twistedmentat posted:

Charles is always psi texting Erik "you up?"

This is the real reason Magneto developed his anti-psychic helmet.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

This is the real reason Magneto developed his anti-psychic helmet.

brilliant

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That was great.

Pheonix Ressurection was fine. Jean telling the Phoenix to gently caress off was probably the best option rather than a long drawn out fight and by not also bringing Scott back, it means Jean can be some one other than Cyclops physic girlfriend.

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER

twistedmentat posted:

That was great.

Pheonix Ressurection was fine. Jean telling the Phoenix to gently caress off was probably the best option rather than a long drawn out fight and by not also bringing Scott back, it means Jean can be some one other than Cyclops physic girlfriend.

Yeah. Now she can be the girlfriend of Teenage Cyclops. I'm stoked.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

Nah. Either they go straight back to romantic tension with Logan or they finally pull the trigger on her dating Storm. There isn't really a basis for anything else.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

Teen Cyclops is dating Bloodstorm, the Vampire Storm from another timeline.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Covok posted:

I honestly can't tell if this is a joke or not. If I hadn't read an issue or two of X-Men Blue I'd assume the very character of Bloodstorm was a joke, let alone their romance.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

davebo posted:

I honestly can't tell if this is a joke or not. If I hadn't read an issue or two of X-Men Blue I'd assume the very character of Bloodstorm was a joke, let alone their romance.

You could tell me almost literally anything was a plot point in X-Men and I'd believe you

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
As X-men relationships go, that's a pretty low key.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Bloodstorm isn't just a ridiculous concept, she's also a callback to Mutant X, the book where Havok was sent to an alternate dimension where he was married to Madelyne Pryor and everything is Goth As Hell.

It was an odd book.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

davebo posted:

I'm confused about comic book collecting in TYOOL 2018. Are people really paying $4 a pop for titles that come out on a bi-weekly basis and don't progress a story until 5 issues in? Like, I've been spending a bunch collecting older comics, and I want to show my support and got Marvel Legacy #1, but now I'm just waiting for Wolverine to come back. When they do finally start some storyline of him coming back (I am not counting those one-page "Where's {SuperHero}?" pages) is it going to cost like $50 just to find out in the last issue how he got that infinity stone?

If you want Wolverine, then All-New Wolverine is already being published featuring the best of all possible Wolverines, Honey Badger. Also Laura Wolverine & Jonathon the Literal Wolverine are there too & pretty freakin' great. It'll help tide you over until Original Flavour Wolvie comes back.

Skwirl posted:

You could tell me almost literally anything was a plot point in X-Men and I'd believe you

That's unironically part of why I love the cold opens on Jay & Miles so much.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Covok posted:

I didn't think they were actually dating, just flirting.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

If you gave me a choice between having Jean back or having Scott back, then I'd keep Jean loving dead.

Or they could bring them both back and either give them a nice healthy relationship, or have them realize they don't work well together and have an amicable break-up. Either way works because neither has been done before.

And yeah, Teen Scott has a thing for Bloodstorm and the feeling is mutual, but that's as far as it's gone. Bloodstorm is a pretty fun character.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If they have actual plans for the Emma heel turn I can see why you wouldn't want to bring Cyclops back right now, but I feel like IvX and then the Secret Empire stuff was the extent of that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

If you want Wolverine, then All-New Wolverine is already being published featuring the best of all possible Wolverines, Honey Badger. Also Laura Wolverine & Jonathon the Literal Wolverine are there too & pretty freakin' great. It'll help tide you over until Original Flavour Wolvie comes back.

That's unironically part of why I love the cold opens on Jay & Miles so much.

I mean the series you describe in the post is starring Wolverine's clone, Wolverine's Clone's clone and a wild animal they received as a housewarming gift. X-Men is complicated.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Aphrodite posted:

If they have actual plans for the Emma heel turn I can see why you wouldn't want to bring Cyclops back right now, but I feel like IvX and then the Secret Empire stuff was the extent of that.

Aren't her and Havok (I want to know why he's evil now) supposed to be up to no good while the OG5 are in space? I thought I saw some solicits for that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Aren't her and Havok (I want to know why he's evil now) supposed to be up to no good while the OG5 are in space? I thought I saw some solicits for that.

Oh I don't know about solicits. I'm so far behind on stuff right now.

Isn't Havok still turned from the inversion thing back in Axis?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Bringing Scott back for five minutes doesn't actually limit their ability to bring him back for real later but it feels like it does. I guess it limits their ability to run with "he wasn't actually dead, it was a ruse!" since a giant space god of death confirmed it. I assume Scott comes back somehow someday though. Jean's come back three times now right?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The Phoenix should now just be like "well poo poo if you're gonna reject me I'll just bring Scott back and bond with him!"

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Skwirl posted:

I mean the series you describe in the post is starring Wolverine's clone, Wolverine's Clone's clone and a wild animal they received as a housewarming gift. X-Men is complicated.

Don't forget Wolverine's son, being written as not-an-rear end in a top hat for possibly the first time ever?

Without embellishment this is my favourite comic series of all time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It really is wonderful so clearly Marvel is going to cancel it and shove all the progress Laura has gotten into the bin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Diet Poison posted:

Don't forget Wolverine's son, being written as not-an-rear end in a top hat for possibly the first time ever?

Without embellishment this is my favourite comic series of all time.

I've hated Daken up until this series.

Also Gabby's awe at Laura Captain Americaning that guy. Gabby is the best. Oh that reminds me, who was at Sarah Kinney's funeral? Obvs Laura, her aunts, and Gabby, Daken, Logan, Beast, Jubilee and of course JOnathan (who has his own Tux), but who is the blond guy, and the guy with the emo hair, the guy with the black gloves. I assume the blond woman is Carol.