Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Filthy Monkey posted:

I would like to get myself capable with an assassin character, but I am not sure who to focus on. Suggestions for a mediocre newish player? So far, assassin feels like my weakest role. On a character like Kel-Thuzad I end up with laughable damage.

I've had the best luck so far with Jaina. Her kit is pretty easily understandable, and she can put out some very respectable burst damage. She is definitely squishy.

I've also had some luck with Tychus, mostly due to people underestimating the damage minigun can do. I am not sure if I like a minigun+laser focused build, or an odin-focused build more. I definitely misunderstood how the Odin works at first. It doesn't make you a beefy tank, and when it explodes you die. He is also pretty squishy, and his range is really short.

I seem to do good numbers with crash lightning thrall, but at the same time I feel like I am not always doing effective focused damage. Crash lightning also requires I be where the action is, rather than going off to lane.

Yeah, it used to have a seperate HP bar but apparently that was OP or whatever.

Bogart posted:

They are not going to cut away a such a defining trait as, well, their Trait, to those heroes. Nerf, yes, but there's been, like, all of one hero who got a new talent ever, and it's Hammer.

The Lost Vikings, Tychus, Lt. Morales, ETC...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Been playing Kharazim today, he's a lot of fun. Also I pulled this out of a common lootbox:

Shame I don't play Abathur.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Time to start!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
They aren't going to remove anyone's AA. They've said they tried it before and it always feels bad, which is why even heroes like Probius have a vestigial AA.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
Charge Hanzo players money for every arrow they shoot. Those things aren't cheap.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I guess it’s good to be able to play a ranged assassin, a melee and a mage one but you should just try all of them out and see what you click with.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

Star posted:

I guess it’s good to be able to play a ranged assassin, a melee and a mage one but you should just try all of them out and see what you click with.

This is good advice, Valla and Greymane are always recommended but I don't like playing either of them, so they are not good picks for me. Same with ETC. It's easy for me to see why those are all good picks but they're just not fun for some people.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
So I got the digital deluxe version of BfA, but i still don't have the mounts in HOTS. ANyone else running into this?

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Kurieg posted:

So I got the digital deluxe version of BfA, but i still don't have the mounts in HOTS. ANyone else running into this?

I doubt they have added them into the game yet/made them available.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Ort posted:

This is good advice, Valla and Greymane are always recommended but I don't like playing either of them, so they are not good picks for me. Same with ETC. It's easy for me to see why those are all good picks but they're just not fun for some people.
Appreciate the advice all. I'll give Valla and Greymane both a shot. I just need to get a workable assassin or two under my belt. I've played Valla a little, mostly just going Q build, but I am definitely not practiced with her.

I feel like I've had much better luck with warriors and supports than I have with assassins so far. I like ETC and Diablo for tanking, and have them both at 10+. Artanis (bruiser, I know), is straight up my favorite character to play. He is currently my highest leveled at 18. Lucio, Rehgar, Ana, and Lili have all served me reasonably well in the support role.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

Yukari posted:

Could you even use stormbow fast enough to keep serrated arrow stacks on a target?

Maybe? If needed change duration to allow stacks, maybe make the scatter arrows shred armor to compensate.

Doctor Syrup
Apr 7, 2009

Filthy Monkey posted:

Artanis (bruiser, I know), is straight up my favorite character to play.

If you like Artanis that much, give Butcher and Illidan a try. Once you get used to them they have the same sort of "unstoppable AA-based duelist" feel, albeit not as tanky.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
A Windfury build thrall can poo poo out some pretty high AA damage and has incredibly sustain.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Those guys play completely differently from Artanis though. Thrall would be a much closer pick. Illidan and Butcher will instantly die if you gently caress up at all. Art will stand there and tank everything.

Doctor Syrup
Apr 7, 2009

Artanis gets downed pretty drat fast if he isn't actively keeping his shield charge going. Same with Butcher using his mark the right way and Illidan knowing when to dodge/use evasion. All three can sustain themselves if they play right and get blown up if they don't (which goes for most characters honestly). It's just that Artanis is a bruiser, not an assassin, so he's obviously able to take more punishment.

Artanis was my favorite when I started playing and one hero I like in a similar way is Malthael. He can be unexpectedly durable and people underestimate him, especially 1v1 if they aren't familiar with him. Might be worth a try.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
He's gotten everyone to 5, and why recommend heroes that do the same thing as one he likes... (Varian and Sonya are the most similar to arty anyways)

No Wave posted:

He's gotten everyone to 5, and why recommend heroes that do the same thing as one he likes... (Varian and Sonya are the most similar to arty anyways)

Because he asked about assassin recommendations and provided an example of a play style he likes, is my guess.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

i could also be retarded

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Did they fix Hamzos movement bug yet?

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

banned from Starbucks posted:

Did they fix Hamzos movement bug yet?

Nobody knows, he's always banned.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Sindai posted:

They aren't going to remove anyone's AA. They've said they tried it before and it always feels bad, which is why even heroes like Probius have a vestigial AA.

lucifirius posted:

That would be a very interesting change, they could probably leave all numbers as they are live and just remove his ability to auto attack, and he'd be better to play against.

I would make other changes in addition to it - for instance, Storm Bow charging faster or having a higher minimum charge, or making Scatter Arrow split radially if it hits nothing. I don't want Hanzo to get gutted completely, just have a skill requirement equal to his impact.

Kith fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 3, 2018

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Gah! I hate that fucker so much! Team league 2nd ban for life.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

I don't think that counts, given that Gall is literally a turret attached to the dude that does the autoattacking.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Shadowlyger posted:

I don't think that counts, given that Gall is literally a turret attached to the dude that does the autoattacking.

If anything, that makes Gall count more. Not only does Gall miss out on having an AA, he also can't move on his own. Characters without AAs only "feel bad" if their kit isn't designed to compensate. Considering that Hanzo has plenty of strength without factoring them in, it wouldn't be the end of the world if he had to rely entirely on abilities to get anything done.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I guess a skillshot DPS without AAs would counter all those oppressive low-mobility heroes.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Kith posted:

If anything, that makes Gall count more

No, it means literally the opposite of that. His entire gimmick is being attached to someone else.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Shadowlyger posted:

No, it means literally the opposite of that. His entire gimmick is being attached to someone else.

why does that mean he doesn't count?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

All heroes have auto-attacks because not being able to kill a nearly dead minion next to you is extremely frustrating and feels very stupid. Also, Cho'Gall has an auto-attack.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

No Wave posted:

All heroes have auto-attacks because not being able to kill a nearly dead minion next to you is extremely frustrating and feels very stupid.
Gall does not suffer from an inability to kill things.

quote:

Also, Cho'Gall has an auto-attack.
No, Cho has an auto-attack. Gall relies entirely on abilities and only uses right-click to cancel casting spells.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Hanz is fun ignoring aa as much as possible already, giving him some payoff like more storms in exchange would be terrific. I know the people talking about it are doing so in context of a overall nerf but it'd be a fun gimmick to talent in to at level 4 or something.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Gall is part of a very unique gimmick that requires him to coordinate with the Cho player to act as a singular Cho'Gall. You can't play as Gall without a Cho. Sindai was obviously referring to standard heroes controlled by one person.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

nerf vikings they have 3 autoattacks

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It dawned on me the other day that now that the dumb launch bundles are a thing, hero crates are even more worthless because you have a 0% chance of getting a cool skin for that hero until they bother to make more.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Yeah are the not lovely looking maev skins a bundle? I'd like the sorta rustic looking ones but not if they're 800 bli$$ard bucks

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

watching grubby play maiev and he did umbral bind on brightwing, they blinked away, and the bind pulled them all the way back

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!

AlmightyBob posted:

watching grubby play maiev and he did umbral bind on brightwing, they blinked away, and the bind pulled them all the way back

Whoah. Time for bye bye qm chromies to get hosed hard.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Kith posted:

No, Cho has an auto-attack. Gall relies entirely on abilities and only uses right-click to cancel casting spells.

Cho and Gall are the same character, you numpty, what do you not understand about this.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Yeah are the not lovely looking maev skins a bundle? I'd like the sorta rustic looking ones but not if they're 800 bli$$ard bucks

They are. Every hero's launch skin will be like that until they hopefully figure out that it's the stupidest possible way to sell something.

I don't mind gem-only skins in theory, but only being able to buy them in bundles inflated with recolors is the worst. And unless I'm missing something (maybe because I so rarely see them and don't own any myself) they don't seem that much higher quality that they deserve the high price tag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdRush
Dec 13, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Bogart posted:

They are not going to cut away a such a defining trait as, well, their Trait, to those heroes. Nerf, yes, but there's been, like, all of one hero who got a new talent ever, and it's Hammer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuInLSzY8rs