Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Sometimes games can be good despite also being anime. Like Nier and its lovingly crafted butts and humping robots. That's just art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
This is really loving stupid derail and you're all idiots.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
There's no way the anime-disliking guy is going to like Bayonetta. The cutscenes are so fuckin bad. And they go on FOREVER. And the premier voice actor is the Joe Pesci pigeon from the Goodfeathers. After a while I decided "whatever I'll just skip these, surely it won't be THAT confusing" so I skipped a few and then suddenly I was fighting this giant snake thing for some reason. That's when I gave up, because I had this feeling the entire time that I would rather be playing Revengeance.

Devil May Cry 3 however is getting a remaster soon. That game loving OWNS, so keep an eye out for that.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

This is really loving stupid derail and you're all idiots.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

There's no way the anime-disliking guy is going to like Bayonetta. The cutscenes are so fuckin bad. And they go on FOREVER. And the premier voice actor is the Joe Pesci pigeon from the Goodfeathers. After a while I decided "whatever I'll just skip these, surely it won't be THAT confusing" so I skipped a few and then suddenly I was fighting this giant snake thing for some reason. That's when I gave up, because I had this feeling the entire time that I would rather be playing Revengeance.

Devil May Cry 3 however is getting a remaster soon. That game loving OWNS, so keep an eye out for that.

Skipping Bayonetta cutscenes should be an arrestable offense

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

anime

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Pitch it to me!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

StoryTime posted:

Pitch it to me!

Play Trails in the Sky and its sequel, SC. You'll have a really good time, as it both uses anime cliches and genuinely good writing to make its story and characters sing.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Play Trails in the Sky and its sequel, SC. You'll have a really good time, as it both uses anime cliches and genuinely good writing to make its story and characters sing.

I actually remember playing that for a while, and liking it. At some point I got confused about where I was supposed to go. There were these towers with lots of fights on the way?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

StoryTime posted:

I actually remember playing that for a while, and liking it. At some point I got confused about where I was supposed to go. There were these towers with lots of fights on the way?

Yup! You have to walk between towns, it's part of the plot. It's a very wordy game, so it's fortunate that it has some really good writing / a great translation.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Yup! You have to walk between towns, it's part of the plot. It's a very wordy game, so it's fortunate that it has some really good writing / a great translation.

I seem to remember fighting myself to the top of of a tower, and then progression didn't happen. Maybe I should try and figure it out again.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

StoryTime posted:

I seem to remember fighting myself to the top of of a tower, and then progression didn't happen. Maybe I should try and figure it out again.

If you get stuck, go back to the bracer guild and both talk to the lady you can report to (talk, not report!) - she'll usually give you a hint about where you are in the story/what you should be doing, and/or check the bulletin board to see what sidequests you're trying to finish.

Alt. open up your bracer notebook and read that, it has main quest notes!

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

If you get stuck, go back to the bracer guild and both talk to the lady you can report to (talk, not report!) - she'll usually give you a hint about where you are in the story/what you should be doing, and/or check the bulletin board to see what sidequests you're trying to finish.

Alt. open up your bracer notebook and read that, it has main quest notes!

I'll check these things out, thanks!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

StoryTime posted:

Each tower has a quest that takes you there, but it's totally possible to get in & fight your way to the top anytime.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Generic game recommendation:
Heat Signature, by the guy who did Gunpoint, is a stealthy space-to-pause Hotline Miami in space about getting yourself into trouble and trying to puzzle your way back out. I mean you could have just planned your attack right, but that would be effort, much easier to see breaking a window on a spaceship as a good way to assassinate a guy in heavy armor and shields (or as a quick escape from persuers).

Also the dialog is pretty sublime for something entirely missable. Have a long convo on the ethics of torture... or when a person is cloned in a teleporter accident, which copy morally gets to kill the other!

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

Evilreaver posted:

Generic game recommendation:
Heat Signature, by the guy who did Gunpoint, is a stealthy space-to-pause Hotline Miami in space about getting yourself into trouble and trying to puzzle your way back out. I mean you could have just planned your attack right, but that would be effort, much easier to see breaking a window on a spaceship as a good way to assassinate a guy in heavy armor and shields (or as a quick escape from persuers).

Also the dialog is pretty sublime for something entirely missable. Have a long convo on the ethics of torture... or when a person is cloned in a teleporter accident, which copy morally gets to kill the other!

+1

Heat Signature is wonderful how-do-I-fix-this-really-bad-decision simulator. Planning is good, but really messing up and winning anyway by making someone shoot themselves by teleporting them into their own bullet is better.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I described it in the thread for it as "playing Hotline Miami against people who are playing FTL" and it's very accurate.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I have some friends online I'd like to play Hearts or Spades with. We all have various versions of Windows from 7 to whatever the latest one is. Do we have a free option that isn't an ad-ridden piece of poo poo?

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop
I could use some Steam recommendations for a nine year old boy who recently lost his father. He likes CS:GO, though can't really match the competition online, and One Finger Death Punch, though he needs help with some of the trickier levels even at beginner difficulty. Considering Cities: Skylines...any other suggestions?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Flopstick posted:

I could use some Steam recommendations for a nine year old boy who recently lost his father. He likes CS:GO, though can't really match the competition online, and One Finger Death Punch, though he needs help with some of the trickier levels even at beginner difficulty. Considering Cities: Skylines...any other suggestions?

Sproggiwood, maybe Brigador?, Card Quest, Cook Serve Delicious, Copy Kitty, God Eater (maybe), Hollow Knight, Mercenary Kings, No Man's Sky, Tangledeep.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Unless you are like me and dislike slow burns. I still have the game installed and tried to get into it a few times. It just moves so glacially at first. And even though turn base combat is never really fast in rpg's, in Trails it feels even slower than normal. I absolutely believe there is a good reason people consistently recommend, but I just can't get into it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Mindblast posted:

Unless you are like me and dislike slow burns. I still have the game installed and tried to get into it a few times. It just moves so glacially at first. And even though turn base combat is never really fast in rpg's, in Trails it feels even slower than normal. I absolutely believe there is a good reason people consistently recommend, but I just can't get into it.

If the story doesn't have you charmed early on...don't keep going. It's entirely character driven, entirely slow-burn, while the turbo helps, speeding up the game isn't going to get you invested in the writing.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

StrixNebulosa posted:

Cook Serve Delicious

Oh yeah, that's perfect - thanks!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Any game where after X hours you can look back and say ‘yeah, I’m powerful now’? Not in bigger numbers (say, Crusader Kings or an RPG), but something like the old The Guild or the Patrician series, where you began with a profession and unlock more stuff you can do as you get titles. The X series gives me a similar feeling.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Metroidvanias almost all do that sort of thing. Subnautica is good at it, you start out slowly swimming away from sharks while waving a tiny knife at them and later on you're jumping out of your massive armored submarine in a mech suit grappling on to them and murdering them with your drill arm

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

They're both P Old but Sid Meier's Pirates and Escape Velocity: Nova both really did that for me. Pirates especially is marvelous (and available on tablets!) - you end up with a fleet of ships, you start hunting down the Most Wanted pirates, you marry the beautiful daughters of royalty and join their navies. Also the actual gameplay is fun as hell, it's these kinda minigames for fencing/sea combat/dancing (You can dance!!)

EDIT: I forgot that there's an EV Nova homage called Endless Sky on steam for FREE so try that out, it's cool

Sixto Lezcano fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 7, 2018

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

DMC 3 is awesome and probably the most deep action game in terms of combat. DMC4 is smoother since you can change styles mid combat but it has less styles.

DMC also has a really goofy rear end story and cheesy dialogue like Bayonetta. So if those things annoy in Bayonetta might be similar case for DMC.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Fat Samurai posted:

Any game where after X hours you can look back and say ‘yeah, I’m powerful now’? Not in bigger numbers (say, Crusader Kings or an RPG), but something like the old The Guild or the Patrician series, where you began with a profession and unlock more stuff you can do as you get titles. The X series gives me a similar feeling.

The most power-status-swing I've felt in a game is probably Uncharted Waters 2 where you start out as some shmuck (6 shmucks to choose from, each with a unique story and ambition!) with a halfassed boat and ultimately build up to "Entire regional shipyards exist and are devoted solely to producing ships for me, global currency markets tremble at my gaze, my henchmen are globally-renowned and feared." There is an RPG element of having more levels at navigating and swordfighting as you progress, but far more telling is poo poo like instead of wearing a leather hauberk I have King Richard's articulated mail, and instead of a mostly-rotted galley I have a ship centuries ahead of its time technologically.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Thanks for the suggestions, although I feel that most of them fall in the "bigger numbers" part (like Pirates or Uncharted Waters, both games I've enjoyed a lot). I'll try to give some examples/articulate my thoughts a bit better:

- The Guild and Patrician both let you do more stuff as you gain political ranks that change the game from simple trading to political simulator (IIRC, at least, been a while)
- The X series give you a small ship but lets you build an empire of Space Stations with automated trading. If you could only trade and take missions and a bigger ship, it would not be what I'm looking for.
- Mount & Blade, you start with a small band of peasants and end up with huge armies, but more importantly you get to control castles and villages, something you couldn't do at the start of the game.
- RPGs, in general, are a bad pick unless you go from being an adventurer to actually ruling a kingdom and sending people to do your bidding, for example.
- Factorio scratched that itch, because all those thousands of spaghetti belts were a mess, but by Jove, they were mine and were working to make automated robots that did my work for me.
- Darkest Dungeon, the part of developing the Hamlet.

"Battle Brothers, but you become Outer Heaven" may be what I'm looking for.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Have you done much with modded Minecraft? You start off a castaway and end up an industrial magnate/wizard/witch/thamauteurge/inventor-scientist... In the last game of modded minecraft I got to the point where the process of even hypothetically being able to kill me involved over a page of text regarding methods of attack against various wards, poppets, blood magic siphons, etc.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

Thanks for the suggestions, although I feel that most of them fall in the "bigger numbers" part (like Pirates or Uncharted Waters, both games I've enjoyed a lot). I'll try to give some examples/articulate my thoughts a bit better:

- The Guild and Patrician both let you do more stuff as you gain political ranks that change the game from simple trading to political simulator (IIRC, at least, been a while)
- The X series give you a small ship but lets you build an empire of Space Stations with automated trading. If you could only trade and take missions and a bigger ship, it would not be what I'm looking for.
- Mount & Blade, you start with a small band of peasants and end up with huge armies, but more importantly you get to control castles and villages, something you couldn't do at the start of the game.
- RPGs, in general, are a bad pick unless you go from being an adventurer to actually ruling a kingdom and sending people to do your bidding, for example.
- Factorio scratched that itch, because all those thousands of spaghetti belts were a mess, but by Jove, they were mine and were working to make automated robots that did my work for me.
- Darkest Dungeon, the part of developing the Hamlet.

"Battle Brothers, but you become Outer Heaven" may be what I'm looking for.

So a game that shifts genres as you become more powerful. Hmmm.

Lost Dimension is an interesting inversion of this as your party shrinks over the course of the game but you get so many skills - so you wind up with a lean, mean machine with too many skills instead of all of those characters.

Euro Truck Sim 2 actually has this as you go from renting a truck to do jobs to owning a fleet and rolling in money to the point where you don't need to do anything to rake in cash.

Prison Architect...?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Are there any other games like pyre without a fail state? I don’t mean “death is a mechanic” games like souls but one where you winning or losing events is baked into a branching storyline.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Fat Samurai posted:

Thanks for the suggestions

Anno 2070 maybe? You start with a dock and a single scout ship and end up with a giant cosmopolitan metropolis with dozens of supply chains going all over the map with cargo submarines bringing holds full of platinum filtered from undersea smoker vents and rare corals farmed for use in the biotech labs, defended by attack helicopters and nuclear-armed submarines.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

nachos posted:

Are there any other games like pyre without a fail state? I don’t mean “death is a mechanic” games like souls but one where you winning or losing events is baked into a branching storyline.

Does Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward count?

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

Flopstick posted:

Triple Town (build things on an island via match-3)

Kingdom Rush (tower defense)

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

nachos posted:

Heavy Rain.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

ovenboy posted:

Is there a good game for learning geography? Perhaps something where you identify countries/capitals on a map, or have to construct a map out of different countries (perhaps also needing to resize/rotate countries). Preferably something that starts quite easy and then ramp up in difficulty as you go along.

From way back, but if you don't mind mobile games I've been playing World Geography by Atom Games Entertainment. It also exists for the iPhone. Free to play, though if you want to unlock every type of question and difficulty setting it's a lot of grinding. However, since you said you wanted to start out easy this might not be much of a problem. It's a good timewaster if you're on public transport a lot.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

StrixNebulosa posted:

So a game that shifts genres as you become more powerful. Hmmm.

Spore :troll:

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

nachos posted:

Until Dawn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Until Dawn doesn't just let you advance while getting people killed, it's actually more fun than trying to keep everybody alive.