Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

tsob posted:

If it does it better be painted like an actual flag. And be piloted by someone tripping ever possible deathflag at once. Sudden bouts of personality and history, promises to make it to a family member's event, boasts about how his luck is unbeatable; the whole nine yards.

And then getting probably the happiest ending in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I've just realized that just means it'll be Patrick Collosaur again. And I'm perfectly okay with Patrick Collosaur in a Flag instead of an Enact.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

tsob posted:

If it does it better be painted like an actual flag. And be piloted by someone tripping ever possible deathflag at once. Sudden bouts of personality and history, promises to make it to a family member's event, boasts about how his luck is unbeatable; the whole nine yards.

Oh, so the pilot will react surprised at every Gundam he sees. "Oh, it's a Gundam!" but 19 times, because he'll be shocked by his own teammates too.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

He's Patrick Mannequin now. Please respect his taking his wife's last name.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chumbler posted:

He's Patrick Mannequin now. Please respect his taking his wife's last name.

Good point, I stand corrected. Patrick being the new Ral with Kati occasionally appearing would be fun too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I was really sad when Try just reused Ramba instead of using some other meme-y gundam character. Gato would've been hilarious.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Endorph posted:

I was really sad when Try just reused Ramba instead of using some other meme-y gundam character. Gato would've been hilarious.
Master Asia would have been a pretty natural fit too.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The best mentor would be Treize.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Clearly the best fighter would be the one who trained WITH THE HELP OF KIYOJI

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Jamil Neate is the best mentor. Making your protege walk into the middle of a frozen lake is an underrated motivational technique.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

chumbler posted:

The best mentor would be Treize.

I still think this is Try's biggest missed opportunity. Fumina even had the Winning Gundam. She should've learned about the Glory of Losers and upgraded into the Losing Tallgeese.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm still of the opinion that Sekai is the one who should've had the SD Gundam. Or at least, that his Gundam should have had an SD style expressive face that reflects his expression. Putting aside that he's the main protagonist, he's also the most up close and personal fighter, who tends to talk to his opponents a lot and he had that whole assimilation thing going on. And while it was pretty stupid to make the operator feel the units pain so that destruction wasn't really possible, having him only feel a shadow of it's pain so that he could survive even attacks that destroyed the unit but just got really pained by it or something would have been fine. Ideally I'd have loved if Sekai got a unit with an SD style face with big eyes at the very least and maybe a mouth behind a mouth guard that would only sometimes be visible along with a Mack Knife style waist and legs to make his unit super agile and capable of the kind of martial arts he used. That those kinds of legs could easily be modified to look like they're wearing a gi or something and are just poofy pants doesn't hurt either.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tsob posted:

I've just realized that just means it'll be Patrick Collosaur again. And I'm perfectly okay with Patrick Collosaur in a Flag instead of an Enact.

Did Patrick set off more death flags than Takaki? I mean, he nearly died more, but the comic relief thing complicates the math.

I'd definitely agree they both metaphorically waved their tackleboxes in Death's face and asked what he was going to do about it, though. Having "The invincible!" as your nickname will do that.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Who's Takaki again?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tsob posted:

Who's Takaki again?

The kid from IBO who got out early when he saw where Tekkadan was headed.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Oh, I found season one quite boring, never even bothered with season two and barely remember him beyond him being one of the other Tekkadan kids who mostly hung around the back and didn't really do much. Was he one of the possibly but we're not going to confirm it gay members? Regardless, I don't know who tripped more death flags given my unfamiliarity with one of them, but I do know which I found more entertaining obviously.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tsob posted:

Oh, I found season one quite boring, never even bothered with season two and barely remember him beyond him being one of the other Tekkadan kids who mostly hung around the back and didn't really do much. Was he one of the possibly but we're not going to confirm it gay members? Regardless, I don't know who tripped more death flags given my unfamiliarity with one of them, but I do know which I found more entertaining obviously.

He got more screentime in the second season, including a few episodes where he was basically the main character.

First season, his biggest moment was telling Akihiro that he was a mercenary so he could pay for his sister's education, then almost getting brutally murdered by pirates.

There was some speculation he might be gay from the episodes where he was the focus, but you might be thinking of Yamagi (100% confirmed gay), who looks a bit like him.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I was getting him mixed up with Yamagi, whose name sounds familiar now that you mention it, but I don't recall Takaki at all in that case. Even your description of his discussion with Akihiro doesn't sound familiar, and I instead just recall Akihiro's "you know, I have a long lost brother; oh look, there he is, drat he's dead" arc, how hilariously stupid the two main Brewers' guys designs were and how bluntly written the whole arc seemed to be.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
You could definitely interpret Takaki's relationship with Aston as gay. Aston pretty much dies for Takaki and Tataki's sister certainly thinks of the three of them as a family. It's got more overt text than other Gundam characters fandom has latched on to as gay, who aren't confirmed like Yamagi. Takaki also is one of the characters IBO pulls back from killing off in season 1 after he gets his Mobile Worker unit soda can stomped in during a fight with that pirate crew earlyish on.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Wish these "build" series would focus more on the build aspect and hobby rather than generic shonen action toy commercial. They've learned nothing from the success of BF, if your show is exciting and your characters fun to watch people will buy a shitton of product.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I mean, a talking bad rear end anime ferret is a good place to start in getting people's attention I guess.

I'm glad the AGE-2 is back. It's the only part of the series that I still care for.

EDIT - I just saw what they named the ferret and okay I'm more than a bit "uhhhhhh" here

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 3, 2018

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Nodosaur posted:

I mean, a talking bad rear end anime ferret is a good place to start in getting people's attention I guess.

I'm glad the AGE-2 is back. It's the only part of the series that I still care for.

EDIT - I just saw what they named the ferret and okay I'm more than a bit "uhhhhhh" here

Man, finding overt Nazi references in Gundam is like filling out a bingo card.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

why the hell is rommel a ferret and not a fox

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kanos posted:

Man, finding overt Nazi references in Gundam is like filling out a bingo card.

And Rommel specifically has been a pretty standard one for Gundam, for pretty simple reasons.

Even during the war, Rommel was portrayed in allied writing as, basically, The Good One. A nice, basically decent guy who happened to be working for one of the most monstrous regimes in history. His status as a martyr for the July plot kind of wrapped up the story with a bow. Rommel was a Good German who fought for his country until he was forced to realize the extent of its crimes, at which point he was killed for attempting to stop the Nazi regime.

Of course, the real history is more complicated, and there's been a backlash among historians against that iteration of the story in favor of Rommel being pretty guilty himself (admitted, the fact the guy who kickstarted the anti-Rommel end of things is a holocaust denying piece of poo poo does make me a little more sympathetic to the positive interpretations), but considering one of the goals of Gundam, the mythic Rommel is pretty much perfect for it.

Tomino, if I remember right, set out to, among other things, make a cartoon that would help kids process two basic truths about their grandparent's generation.

1) Their grandparents were soldiers for a monstrous regime that conducted untold atrocities and had to be stopped

2) That doesn't mean grandpa himself was a bad guy.

The Rommel narrative, played out most famous with Ral, is perfect for that. Good person, bad government, and a position where resistance would do harm to people he cares about. Makes a complicated situation simple to understand for the kids.

Of course, later Gundam stuff sometimes got too close to the wrong side of the line between "Individual Imperial Japanese soldiers could still be good people" and "Imperial Japan: was it really that bad?", but that's kind of always a risk to these things.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It just feels rather tasteless to attach it to the lovable mascot character, I dunno.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

NotALizardman posted:

why the hell is rommel a ferret and not a fox

He's an ermine. Because Japan loves puns.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

chiasaur11 posted:

He's an ermine. Because Japan loves puns.

Not really much of a pun there

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

The sync thing sucked but it wouldn't fix every single character in the tournament being focused on Sekai and Sekai alone, which was at least as much of a problem with the show's writing.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Because I'm following the UX let's play, I really want a team of SD Dynasty Warrior Gundams.

chumbler posted:

And then getting probably the happiest ending in the series.

Ah, the Ozma maneuver.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

And Rommel specifically has been a pretty standard one for Gundam, for pretty simple reasons.

Even during the war, Rommel was portrayed in allied writing as, basically, The Good One. A nice, basically decent guy who happened to be working for one of the most monstrous regimes in history. His status as a martyr for the July plot kind of wrapped up the story with a bow. Rommel was a Good German who fought for his country until he was forced to realize the extent of its crimes, at which point he was killed for attempting to stop the Nazi regime.

Of course, the real history is more complicated, and there's been a backlash among historians against that iteration of the story in favor of Rommel being pretty guilty himself (admitted, the fact the guy who kickstarted the anti-Rommel end of things is a holocaust denying piece of poo poo does make me a little more sympathetic to the positive interpretations), but considering one of the goals of Gundam, the mythic Rommel is pretty much perfect for it.

Tomino, if I remember right, set out to, among other things, make a cartoon that would help kids process two basic truths about their grandparent's generation.

1) Their grandparents were soldiers for a monstrous regime that conducted untold atrocities and had to be stopped

2) That doesn't mean grandpa himself was a bad guy.

The Rommel narrative, played out most famous with Ral, is perfect for that. Good person, bad government, and a position where resistance would do harm to people he cares about. Makes a complicated situation simple to understand for the kids.

Of course, later Gundam stuff sometimes got too close to the wrong side of the line between "Individual Imperial Japanese soldiers could still be good people" and "Imperial Japan: was it really that bad?", but that's kind of always a risk to these things.

Interestingly, Rommel the Desert Fox from Gundam ZZ (another Tomino show) was kind of a teamkilling rear end in a top hat.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He was teamkilling zeon fuckers though, so it's all good.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Caphi posted:

The sync thing sucked but it wouldn't fix every single character in the tournament being focused on Sekai and Sekai alone, which was at least as much of a problem with the show's writing.

If you mean assimilation I wasn't saying it was the series' major issue or anything, just that I think it could have been tweaked to make the fights more exciting rather than less and to make Sekai's units in particular more personable. Especially if his major opponent in the finale was that one guy who trained with him and he was using a much more normal and stoic Gundam faced unit. The show obviously has lots of other problems outside that, but it was just one I felt was relevant to talk about given a previous post.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The discussion of robot fight choreography came up recently in CineD talking about Pacific Rim, and someone brought up the Gouf vs Ez8 fight, which is pretty well known here for having divided opinions.

What Gundam shows do have good fight choreography, then? I might enjoy how creative some of the fights in the original series are, but I won't say they're particularly well executed.
I'd suggest the FA-78 versus the Psyco Zaku was a good fight, but what are some other ones?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Anything Amuro does in Char's Counterattack is just badass.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Gundam Build Fighters has consistently superb choreography, with the Build Strike vs. Zaku Amazing, Star Build Strike vs. Gundam Fenice, and Kampfer Amazing vs. GM Sniper K9 being particular standouts. IBO is decent for a Gundam TV show, with good fights including Crank vs. Mikazuki, Gaelio vs. Montag, Mikazuki vs. the Hashmal, and Vidar vs. McGillis. Tomino himself is a highly talented choreographer, and you’ll see particularly solid work in Turn A, Victory, and G-Reco.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Star Build Strike vs. Gundam Fenice... Kampfer Amazing vs. GM Sniper K9

I'm rewatching build fighters right now and these two are still my favorite fights.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Star Build Strike's debut in build fighters episode 10 is also badass.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Blackchamber posted:

Star Build Strike vs. Gundam Fenice... Kampfer Amazing vs. GM Sniper K9

I'm rewatching build fighters right now and these two are still my favorite fights.

No joke, the Star Build vs Fenice fight was probably the most emotionally invested I've ever been in an anime fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
https://twitter.com/zakoko_/status/960065053583065088