Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

Now that's a character I want to see attempted again. I actually legit love the 90s movie.

I have to hand it to the 90s Shadow movie, I think that's the only story I can think of where the protagonist wins by having the villain be given a lobotomy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
The 90s Shadow movie is insanely good. When he talks Tim Curry into committing suicide? holy poo poo,

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

The 90s Shadow movie is insanely good. When he talks Tim Curry into committing suicide? holy poo poo,

It's got a great cast and it's very very very true to its pulpy roots. I like it a lot.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
when I was single digit age my top heroes in order were: Wolverine, Robocop, The Shadow, the Bio-Booster-Armor Guyver, and Duncan McLeod. None of them took bad guys to jail or talked about their feelings like that pussy, Spider-Man (excuse my language, merely employing the idiom of 1996). Well, obviously, Robocop would take you to jail. IN THEORY.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Chairman Capone posted:

I have to hand it to the 90s Shadow movie, I think that's the only story I can think of where the protagonist wins by having the villain be given a lobotomy.

The Craft has the same ending where she's committed for what they think are normal reasons not realizing her ability to do magic has been removed.

I just realized Batman Forever totally ripped off The Shadow. The part with Riddler getting his mind wiped and being in an asylum and not able to actually explain anything I figured was coincidence but both movies also have one of (their first?) kill consist of someone seeing an illusionary exit while being freaked out, which causes them to run out of a building and fall to their death.

Man The Shadow is just awesome in general. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned it but I really would kill for a movie where Nicholas Cage plays Lamont Cranston and John Travolta plays him when he's The Shadow.

What was the deal with Kent Allard? IIRC Lamont Cranston was in on it also and it was so that there was always the double rock solid alibi of Cranston being traveling off wherever if anyone found out it was "him" or that someone was impersonating him and Kent Allard officially died in a plane crash years prior?

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 2, 2018

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Chairman Capone posted:

I missed this and it's absolutely not true, he still has his entire sense of self and his intelligence. Only his ability to cloud minds has been removed.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

when I was single digit age my top heroes in order were: Wolverine, Robocop, The Shadow, the Bio-Booster-Armor Guyver, and Duncan McLeod. None of them took bad guys to jail or talked about their feelings like that pussy, Spider-Man (excuse my language, merely employing the idiom of 1996). Well, obviously, Robocop would take you to jail. IN THEORY.

On a related note, I read somewhere that even the CW Supergirl version of Superman killed their version of Zod.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

So did Tom Welling

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The MSJ posted:

On a related note, I read somewhere that even the CW Supergirl version of Superman killed their version of Zod.

Wow just like Superman II, Smallville, and a couple of times in the comics.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So did comic book Superman

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Zod is there to get his neck snapped by Superman like Gwen Stacy is there to get hers snapped by Spider-Man.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Did he get rewarded with a hug after

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I CAN'T BELIEVE ZACK SNYDER FORGOT HOW SUPERMAN WORKS AND HAD HIM KILL ZOD WHEN SUPERMAN WOULD NEVER DO THAT.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

because if that's not your complaint, then you are in a very, very, very tiny minority of the people who've complained about it. the vast majority of the negative reactions I've seen to Punisher were anger that it wasn't War Zone stretched out to 10 hours.

Oh, it was absolutely stretched out. It has the same core problem as all the Netflix shows: It's got about the plot content of a trade paperback, but takes longer to watch than it would take to read Garth Ennis' entire run on MAX. And it's not executed with nearly enough flair or skill to make up for just how amazingly loving long it is.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I think that was most frustrating with The Punisher and Daredevil season 1 because if they were just ONE episode shorter each they'd be perfect.

Jessica Jones though, I love that show but I still can't believe the "TAKE ME TO SUPERMAX!" episode made it past writing and was filmed, talk about filler.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I can believe it
It's a comic book tv show
There's basically not a single good one except Legion and even that isn't thaaat good

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, though Punisher has the least fluff of any of them, if just because the central performance is more capable of justifying the time spent on it.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
for some reason I thought The Punisher was only 12 episodes, so I was pleasantly surprised when there was another! That show had a great ending.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

SleepCousinDeath posted:

for some reason I thought The Punisher was only 12 episodes, so I was pleasantly surprised when there was another! That show had a great ending.

I was impressed with how gross they made Russo's end just with the sound effects, it was awesome.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Neo Rasa posted:

Man The Shadow is just awesome in general.
Whenever someone tells me about a dream, I just reply with "Last night I dreamed that I tore all the skin off of my face and I was someone else underneath." Never works, always just kills the conversation.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Conal Cochran posted:

Why do people keep explaining this show to others in this thread whenever they say something bad about it, like the only issue could possibly be that we're just to dumb to understand it?

Snowman_McK said they'd watched the first episode and wasn't into the show, I was pointing out that the first episode didn't really reflect what the rest of the series was like.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/z3leni/status/958471048483233792

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It's got a great cast and it's very very very true to its pulpy roots. I like it a lot.
The main theme is fantastic too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE68oB02wbs

There's more than a bit of The Shadow in Batman Begins too (which isn't a surprise given the history of the two franchises).

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Okay, which goon was this?

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/black-panther-rotten-tomatoes-facebook-group-marvel-movie-superhero-a8192641.html

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I’m pretty sure those are just racists. They’re not attacking Infinity War, the most obvious target.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I was mainly struck by this line from the article

quote:

The Facebook group recently claimed that Disney had somehow manipulated the press into giving DC Comics movies negative reviews while building excitement for Marvel’s Black Panther.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Davros1 posted:

I was mainly struck by this line from the article

https://twitter.com/bethelderkin/status/959059888189132800

https://twitter.com/bethelderkin/status/959060085405372417

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://twitter.com/MarkRuffalo/status/959419634469388288

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

*The Lonely Man Theme plays*

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Phylodox posted:

*The Lonely Man Theme plays*

It'd better

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It will not. There's some obscure but important demographic that may alienate, so it will not happen.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

DC vs Marvel hate boners get more clicks and reel in the dumb dumbs that take the bait. What else is new?

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
One of my co-writers got to see Black Panther and wrote a non-spoilery English review. If you are really a stickler about spoilers, the article only talks about the setting and the state of the characters at the beginning of the movie.

https://www.geekster.be/films/black-panther-review-between-tradition-and-progress/

tl;dr: A good movie, celebrating African culture in a positive way, pretty good story and villain, wonderful music and good acting.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm watching an episode of Lupin III from the 70s or 80s. They did the Nazi conciousness implanted into a computer thing decades before Winter Soldier.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm watching an episode of Lupin III from the 70s or 80s. They did the Nazi conciousness implanted into a computer thing decades before Winter Soldier.

Jack Kirby introduced Arnim Zola in April 1977, originally he'd transferred his consciousness into an ugly robot body. The Lupin the Third episodes with Doctor Zell first aired in September 1978.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Synopsis for Shazam!

quote:

"We all have a superhero inside us, it just takes a bit of magic to bring it out. In Billy Batson’s (Angel) case, by shouting out one word - Shazam! - this streetwise 14-year-old foster kid can turn into the adult Super Hero Shazam (Levi), courtesy of an ancient wizard. Still a kid at heart - inside a ripped, godlike body - Shazam revels in this adult version of himself by doing what any teen would do with superpowers: have fun with them! Can he fly? Does he have X-ray vision? Can he shoot lightning out of his hands? Can he skip his social studies test? Shazam sets out to test the limits of his abilities with the joyful recklessness of a child. But he’ll need to master these powers quickly in order to fight the deadly forces of evil controlled by Dr. Thaddeus Sivana (Strong)."

https://www.newsarama.com/38497-warner-bros-s-shazam-synopsis-full-cast-list-revealed.html

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Smart move making him a teen instead of little kid. Kids want to see a hero older than them, not another little kid.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
It also confirms they will move forward with Shazam rather than Captain Marvel.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Smart move making him a teen instead of little kid. Kids want to see a hero older than them, not another little kid.

While that's true. Shazam was pretty brilliant because the kid becomes the superhero. Captain Marvel was vastly more popular than Superman during his heyday because of this.

In my opinion they should have had kid Billy, since kids grow up so fast. If it proves popular then they have so much more room for sequels before the kid ages out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
If they do it right then Black Panther or Capt Marvel can be the next leader of the Avengers after Infinity War with a new Roster.