Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Martman posted:

Has anyone ever had someone offer to do a craft as charity and then fail the craft and lose all the materials? I have that horrible fear whenever I help people out with this stuff, even when I know 100% I can craft it.

That happened once with me, it's a bit of a bummer but you just shrug it off. I've had a few dozen requests for non-100% HQ guaranteed fail and go NQ which is very likely to happen when someone orders a full set, but no one ever really gave me poo poo about it. If it's for a goon I usually try again with my own mats.

In general people understand that there's a chance things will go bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Chicken Dance is the new squat emote.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Oh hell yeah, going undercover with my buddy Nanamo. There's literally no way this could go wrong.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Vadoc posted:

I don't trust the thing he gave her to just be what it appears to be.

I'm betting it's some kind of magitek teleport beacon. We already know they can build teleporters, this is just the next stage. I'm also betting they just unload a bunch of hypertuned/brainwashed domans and laugh maniacally.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I love when you zone into a duty and it's three lalafell and one tall race, it looks like a day trip with the babysitter. A shame we don't go for ice cream afterwards though.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Dr Snofeld posted:

I love when you zone into a duty and it's three lalafell and one tall race, it looks like a day trip with the babysitter. A shame we don't go for ice cream afterwards though.

It’s a ff14/stranger things crossover

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

:quagmire:

Hunter Noventa posted:

I'm betting it's some kind of magitek teleport beacon. We already know they can build teleporters, this is just the next stage. I'm also betting they just unload a bunch of hypertuned/brainwashed domans and laugh maniacally.

Or maybe it's got a listening device in it.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

So I just started a free trial and chose Lancer so I could eventually jump everywhere. I've heard good things about this game but so far it feels very... well, I don't see what sets it apart yet. Level 15 currently. Is there a place where it really picks up?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Been levelling my crafting and gathering alongside Machinist, but I’m feeling impatient and want to get to Stormblood. Will going 51-59 with store-bought NQ kit be all that painful an experience? I have Ironworks and Shire gear to bookend the experience, happily.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Rhjamiz posted:

So I just started a free trial and chose Lancer so I could eventually jump everywhere. I've heard good things about this game but so far it feels very... well, I don't see what sets it apart yet. Level 15 currently. Is there a place where it really picks up?

The game is designed to be a very gentle introduction to MMOs, so it has a slow build-up. Dungeons start getting more difficult and you start getting more of your combat abilities around lv.30~35 or so.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Rhjamiz posted:

Playability-wise? Level 30. Story-wise? Probably after Titan.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Rhjamiz posted:

The game starts slow (especially if you have MMO experience) and lancers are slow on top of that. 40's is when the story picks up, and you have a few Dragoon abilities which start fleshing the job out. Quest and story design also make a drastic improvement half way through the 50 questline. It's really hit and miss before that.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Vadoc posted:

Or maybe it's got a listening device in it.

I'm absolutely betting it has a comminicator in it somehow. Linkpearl, maybe.

Other future predictions:

Omega: Alpha is pretty obviously some kind of facet of Omega, purely so they can pull an "I am Alpha AND I am Omega" reveal near the end, and then Omega will learn feelings from Alpha's friendship with the Ironworks crew (mostly Jesse). Bonus points if he was created deliberately adorable to nudge the WoL into wanting to help him. Midgardsormr hints at this pretty heavily when he admonishes the robot for not having grown feelings on its evolutionary journey.

MSQ: Absolutely in agreement that that Black Rose poo poo is going to come back to haunt us somehow. Whether they'll ACTUALLY kill off the Domans or not... remains to be seen. Can't see them doing it after putting an Aetheryte there, but maybe in the 4.55 stinger to nudge us into direct war with Garlemald. I have both Gosetsu and Arenvald in my death pool at the moment. Asahi will probably remain untouchable and gently caress up somehow, then get cut down by Elidibus!Zenos at some point to emphasise how not-Zenos he is, and just to deny us the satisfaction.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Level 30 is when you can unlock dragoon and can start Jumping. It used to be that you had to level a particular second class to 15 before you could unlock the dragoon job but I can't remember if they changed that system or not.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Ainsley McTree posted:

Level 30 is when you can unlock dragoon and can start Jumping. It used to be that you had to level a particular second class to 15 before you could unlock the dragoon job but I can't remember if they changed that system or not.

They did, no secondary class requirements anymore

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Early dragoon is nothing like level 70 dragoon, where you weave an ogcd between almost every attack and jump around like a flea on cocaine. It's fun when you keep on top of it, and elusive jump is deceptively good at moving you around so with spineshatter/dragonfire dive you can rocket around boss arenas.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
I like how drg 70 feels, one rotation around the combos feels move and fluid. If only jump didn't animation lock it'd be perfect.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I died to an airplane because I thought it was a click-off thing like skalla and I'm frantically mousing over each little icon trying to find the right one.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

BrightWing posted:

I like how drg 70 feels, one rotation around the combos feels move and fluid. If only jump didn't animation lock it'd be perfect.

I keep eating poo poo at the start of the Genbu fight because I instinctively hit my jumps at around the time where he does the big cross AOE attack. If you're in the middle you get hit by all four AOEs and I get animation locked into that spot.

On the other hand I started playing in 2.3 and DRG animation locking was at least twice as long then as it is now. We're the go-to floor tanks for a reason.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Dr Snofeld posted:

I keep eating poo poo at the start of the Genbu fight because I instinctively hit my jumps at around the time where he does the big cross AOE attack. If you're in the middle you get hit by all four AOEs and I get animation locked into that spot.

On the other hand I started playing in 2.3 and DRG animation locking was at least twice as long then as it is now. We're the go-to floor tanks for a reason.

Me and my static kinda sorta bullied our DRG into going SAM because the poor guy just could not get through a fight without eating floor at least once.

He still eats floor but his numbers are way higher doing it!

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Other future predictions:

MSQ: Absolutely in agreement that that Black Rose poo poo is going to come back to haunt us somehow. Whether they'll ACTUALLY kill off the Domans or not... remains to be seen. Can't see them doing it after putting an Aetheryte there, but maybe in the 4.55 stinger to nudge us into direct war with Garlemald. I have both Gosetsu and Arenvald in my death pool at the moment. Asahi will probably remain untouchable and gently caress up somehow, then get cut down by Elidibus!Zenos at some point to emphasise how not-Zenos he is, and just to deny us the satisfaction.
My hope is that Asahi aligning with the Populares (and being a crazy fucker) hints that they're leaning towards the purebred Garlean Optimates being the side that actually thinks this "empire" thing has gotten too crazy and big while it's moreso the converted True Believers from the provinces that are stoking the fires of endless warfare. When we eventually get there in the story it would be nice to be in essence liberating the Garleans from their own empire.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Nill posted:

My hope is that Asahi aligning with the Populares (and being a crazy fucker) hints that they're leaning towards the purebred Garlean Optimates being the side that actually thinks this "empire" thing has gotten too crazy and big while it's moreso the converted True Believers from the provinces that are stoking the fires of endless warfare. When we eventually get there in the story it would be nice to be in essence liberating the Garleans from their own empire.

I'm not sure I want the victims of an expansionist racist empire to actually be the real bad guys

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Blockhouse posted:

I'm not sure I want the victims of an expansionist racist empire to actually be the real bad guys

I think given everything about SB's main villains (sans Zenos) being about how the Empire's history and rule has hosed up everyone they've taken over in varying degrees, having someone that is just Fordola+++ when it comes to trying to Out Patriot The PureBloods wouldn't be shocking or bad.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Having one of that sort of character exist is one thing. Making multiples of them the real bad guys is another.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Ken Levine's Stormblood: Infinite

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Honestly, I think the sympathetic faction in Garlemald is going to have to be the non-military populace. Outside of the Royal family itself, even the highest-ranked civilian authority is lower-class than basically any army officer. if Asahi is any indication, the Populares faction is dominated by the military too.

The only Garleans we've met who are decent people have been outside the military structure, like that theatre troupe in the Ivalice quests.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I think given everything about SB's main villains (sans Zenos) being about how the Empire's history and rule has hosed up everyone they've taken over in varying degrees, having someone that is just Fordola+++ when it comes to trying to Out Patriot The PureBloods wouldn't be shocking or bad.

Which is fine when the theme of the expansion is how the Garleans have ruined everyone's lives (except for Yotsuyu who really already had her life ruined by Doma) but I really don''t want a story about how the rich pseudo-Roman aristocracy are actually at the mercy of the people they've been bigoted against and we actually have to save them.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I mean given the fact that Zenos doesn't even react to seeing the people he just saved because 'holy poo poo there's a sword!', I'm hoping we get to tell Asahi "Zenos actually cared about me, which is far more than he could ever say for you" just to watch his heart break.

Blockhouse posted:

Which is fine when the theme of the expansion is how the Garleans have ruined everyone's lives (except for Yotsuyu who really already had her life ruined by Doma) but I really don''t want a story about how the rich pseudo-Roman aristocracy are actually at the mercy of the people they've been bigoted against and we actually have to save them.

Also, yes, this.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Blockhouse posted:

I doubt they're gonna do this unless you're classing the Rabanestre NPC types as "the rich aristocracy." It's possible we may ally with some group of garlics but I imagine that would be a House Fortemps kind of situation rather than "YoshiP casts Problematize Narrative"

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Nessus posted:

I doubt they're gonna do this unless you're classing the Rabanestre NPC types as "the rich aristocracy." It's possible we may ally with some group of garlics but I imagine that would be a House Fortemps kind of situation rather than "YoshiP casts Problematize Narrative"

Yeah I think we're going to like Adept Nightingale said a group of lower-class civilians who think the system sucks. That's fine and cool. I just don't want the colonized peoples to be the real villains all along.

I've had enough of Bad Politics XIV after the 4.1 "welfare is bad actually" cutscene.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
That wasn't what Godbert meant. :(

On a different topic, the Seasonal Event says that I should marry the catgirl in charge of my FC.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Blockhouse posted:

I really don''t want a story about how the rich pseudo-Roman aristocracy are actually at the mercy of the people they've been bigoted against and we actually have to save them.
Saving flawed people from themselves (or traps of their own devices) is arguably more interesting than punching yet another cartoon villain, that's all. v:shobon:v

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It is 2018 I want to punch all the cartoon villains I possibly can.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

That wasn't what Godbert meant. :(

On a different topic, the Seasonal Event says that I should marry the catgirl in charge of my FC.

Well, I mean, why not?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Blockhouse posted:

Yeah I think we're going to like Adept Nightingale said a group of lower-class civilians who think the system sucks. That's fine and cool. I just don't want the colonized peoples to be the real villains all along.

I've had enough of Bad Politics XIV after the 4.1 "welfare is bad actually" cutscene.
Godbert realizes that Eorzea needs to fully transition into industrial capitalism so that it may in turn transition into full Communism, as dictated by the historical science of Mandervilleism-Leninism. The free companies are the party vanguard.

I imagine we're going to see a sprinkling of guys like Asahi but I figure anything along these lines will be more like the reflections in Doma on how their society was actually pretty hosed up and they need to fix that, too. I don't think anyone in Doma has expressed "we deserved to get conquered," so much as "we weren't angels and Garlemald didn't create Yotsuyu."

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The Garleans getting eaten by their own empire would make more sense when you remember how shallow and fragile their base of power is. They were an oppressed slave-race whose defining feature is that they lack magic (a massive disadvantage in this world) and only have slightly improved spatial awareness to compensate for it. They only became the mighty empire they are today because one man, Emperor Solus, stumbled across a massive stockpile of Allagan tech and had the genius to reverse-engineer it, giving them a huge technological advantage. The catch, of course, is that the whole point of magitek is that anyone can use it, and as the machinists of Ishgard demonstrate, it works even better if you have inherent magic to power and enhance it. As soon as everyone else catches up with the Garleans - and they’re making impressive strides already - they’re right back to being Planet Hydaelyn’s resident punching-bags.

The Garleans aren’t your standard overprivileged dickbags. They’re venting off a centuries-old inferiority complex, and have unleashed something terrible and entirely beyond their control on the world in the process.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Adept Nightingale posted:

Honestly, I think the sympathetic faction in Garlemald is going to have to be the non-military populace. Outside of the Royal family itself, even the highest-ranked civilian authority is lower-class than basically any army officer. if Asahi is any indication, the Populares faction is dominated by the military too.

I think the Populares are entirely fictional, personally. We only have Asahi's word that they exist at all, and he's outed himself as a duplicitous little poo poo.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I think the Populares are entirely fictional, personally. We only have Asahi's word that they exist at all, and he's outed himself as a duplicitous little poo poo.
While this isn't impossible, I doubt they're gonna go that hardcore, especially since it would more or less be throwing out a complicating piece of worldbuilding for no particular reason. The Populares existing doesn't mean Asahi is a member, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

We don't know how much Asahi is even involved yet. Even if he has an explicit personal vendetta against the WoL AND has plans regarding Yotsuyu, it may not follow that he knows the prisoner exchange is compromised. For all we know he may be legitimate in his desire for peace with Doma and reform in the empire even if his grasp for power to validate the Populares may well corrupt and deviate them from their intent.