Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Idk if this spoils further than Dark id had ever gotten, but what the hell is namine? Why is she blond with super powers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Billzasilver posted:

Idk if this spoils further than Dark id had ever gotten, but what the hell is namine? Why is she blond with super powers?

She's explained in CoM and KH2 but just in case because I missed the stream She's Kairi's Nobody. She got made when Sora stabbed himself in the chest in KH1. She has superpowers because Kairi is super special.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it

ImpAtom posted:

She's explained in CoM and KH2 but just in case because I missed the stream She's Kairi's Nobody. She got made when Sora stabbed himself in the chest in KH1. She has superpowers because Kairi is super special.

Organization XIII has superpowers too, though, so it's not really "Kairi's super special" as much as it is "if you're a strong enough Nobody you will you get super powers", apparently.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

Organization XIII has superpowers too, though, so it's not really "Kairi's super special" as much as it is "if you're a strong enough Nobody you will you get super powers", apparently.

Namine is still extra special. She gets mind powers because she's the Nobody of a Princess of Heart, something that isn't actually supposed to happen, because Nobodies only form from people with darkness in their heart and definitionally Princesses of Heart have none.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lord_Magmar posted:

Namine is still extra special. She gets mind powers because she's the Nobody of a Princess of Heart, something that isn't actually supposed to happen, because Nobodies only form from people with darkness in their heart and definitionally Princesses of Heart have none.

The Kingdom Heart setting was not prepared for Sora to basically stab himself in the heart.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
This is just drifting from a conversation to a CIA document, and then into a goth poet's journal.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

painedforever posted:

This is just drifting from a conversation to a CIA document, and then into a goth poet's journal.

Let your thread be filled with the power of darkness.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

painedforever posted:

Dear Diary,

drakengard drakengard drakengard drakengard drakengard drakengard drakengard drakengard drakengard drakengard drakengard drakengard drakengard drakengard drakengard drakengard drakengard drakengard drakengard drakengard drakengard drakengard drakengard drakengard drakengard drakengard drakengard drakengard drakengard drakengard drakengard drakengard drakengard drakengard drakengard drakengard drakengard drakengard drakengard drakengard drakengard drakengard drakengard drakengard drakengard drakengard drakengard drakengard drakengard drakengard drakengard drakengard drakengard drakengard drakengard drakengard drakengard drakengard drakengard drakengard drakengard drakengard drakengard

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
The difference between Kingdom Hearts and Drakenier is that when the convoluted, confusing plot of a Drakenier game is laid out in logical order and explained in simple terms, it gets easier to understand. Seriously, I knew less about the narrative of Kingdom Hearts after reading a comprehensive summary of the franchise in in-universe chronological order.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

EclecticTastes posted:

The difference between Kingdom Hearts and Drakenier is that when the convoluted, confusing plot of a Drakenier game is laid out in logical order and explained in simple terms, it gets easier to understand. Seriously, I knew less about the narrative of Kingdom Hearts after reading a comprehensive summary of the franchise in in-universe chronological order.

Nomura regularly forgets why he does things. He spent months failing to figure out why mark hamill’s character was named Eraqus.

Taro Yoko always does things that personally make him cry.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Billzasilver posted:

Nomura regularly forgets why he does things. He spent months failing to figure out why mark hamill’s character was named Eraqus.

Did he ever remember why?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ratoslov posted:

Because he was sad about robots, I think.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Ratoslov posted:

An assistant realized it was an anagram for Square.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.
Master Yensid, Master Erasqus. Big mysteries.

My FAVORITE Kingdom Hearts trivia is that Sora was originally going to be a furry with a chainsaw.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100828135306/kingdomheartsvn/vi/images/d/de/Lion-Sora-Chainsaw.jpg

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

EclecticTastes posted:

If you look at (almost) any one event in Kingdom Hearts in isolation, it seems to make narrative sense. Good luck trying to fit the whole thing together, though.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Part of me wishes we lived in the alternate universe where Square Enix let Nomura fulfill his dream of making FF15 Versus 13 a Les Mis-inspired musical

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
This thread feels like it’s going off the tracks.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

HR12345 posted:

This thread feels like it’s going off the tracks.

Just a little, yeah. We're lucky we aren't delving even deeper in to the retconned madness that is the Kingdom Hearts plot.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Feb 3, 2018

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Geostomp posted:

Just a little, yeah. We're lucky we aren't delving even deeper in to the retconned madness that is the Kingdom Hearts plot.

It all makes sense now.

code:

Logic_virus.exe

call function make_sense_of("Kingdom Hearts");

end

Truly madness lies within.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

cirus posted:

code:
Logic_virus.exe

call function make_sense_of("Kingdom Hearts");

end
Truly madness lies within.

DDGS attacks. Distributed Donald Goofy Sora will crush through any firewall.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FeyerbrandX posted:

I mean that's canon.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Ever since I learned about the existence of Kingdom hearts, I have never been able to get over the thought of "Who thought crossing Disney with Final Fantasy was a good idea?". I mean really, how did such a thing come into existence as a mainstream game?

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

FeyerbrandX posted:

Come on, it would obviously be called DSDG. Everyone always names the three in the same order every time: Sora, Donald, Goofy. It's kind of weird, actually.

yes I know that ruins the joke but it had to be said

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Stephen9001 posted:

Ever since I learned about the existence of Kingdom hearts, I have never been able to get over the thought of "Who thought crossing Disney with Final Fantasy was a good idea?". I mean really, how did such a thing come into existence as a mainstream game?

The short answer is Nomura.

The long answer is NOMUUURRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Stephen9001 posted:

To be fair, when you view it more as "Giant Disney Crossover RPG, also Final Fantasy I guess" it makes a lot more sense.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Stephen9001 posted:

A chance meeting between a Square employee and a Disney employee in an elevator at a building they shared in Japan. Square was wanting to develop a new action IP and just needed a marketable character, and Disney had a couple they could spare.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

SkeletonHero posted:

A chance meeting between a Square employee and a Disney employee in an elevator at a building they shared in Japan. Square was wanting to develop a new action IP and just needed a marketable character, and Disney had a couple they could spare.

Actually, Disney was already what they wanted. Basically, there was a pitch meeting at Square to make a new game with full 3D movement to rival Super Mario 64, but someone off-handedly said that you'd need Disney characters to get the same level of brand recognition as Mario, Nomura overheard, volunteered to direct, then one of the guys in the original conversation got the above-mentioned chance to make a literal elevator pitch, and the rest is history.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.
You forgot the magic ingredient.

MONEY. The first game made money hands over fist.

At the same time, Square's other works at the time were rather weak.

Andyzero fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 3, 2018

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Kingdom Hearts is weird and stupid and it's great.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Can't wait for the eventual Drakenier cameos.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Kaine is completely incomprehensible behind the censoring bleeps.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Ratoslov posted:

Kaine is completely incomprehensible behind the censoring bleeps.

She's also a fairy for some reason.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Geostomp posted:

She's also a fairy for some reason.

I don't think Drakengard fairies are Disney friendly.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
Just imagine if they let Yoko taro take hold of a section of kh story.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

YOTC posted:

He'd somehow end up sending us to Star Wars Episode 3 where we fail to stop Anakin from slaughtering the Younglings

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Stephen9001 posted:

It was a literal elevator pitch. Square Enix and Disney Japan were in the same office building.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2004/09/23/tgs-2004-tetsuya-nomura-qa posted:

Q: Looking back to the start of Kingdom Hearts, I was wondering how it happened. Was it something that started in a bar or something?

Nomura: The producer, Mr. Hashimoto, met one of the executives of Disney in the elevators -- we used to work in the same building.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

YOTC posted:

*Sora takes one step into the Drakenier world*

*the Gummi Ship immediately explodes into a billion pieces*

*Sora takes another step*

*Donald and Goofy are ambushed by Heartless and immediately turned into their ranks*

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
If you told me Yoko Taro wrote Aqua's plot I'd believe it.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

END ME SCOOB posted:

If you told me Yoko Taro wrote Aqua's plot I'd believe it.

Seriously, out of all the poo poo that happens to any KH character :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Seriously, out of all the poo poo that happens to any KH character :stare:
About the only thing that hasn't happened to Aqua so far is grievous bodily harm/serious injury to her person. Which now that Disney has Marvel content, I fully expect Aqua to get either the Misty Knight treatment (both arms severed, replaced with vibranium prosthetics) or the Jubilee treatment (loses her powers due to an event/retcon, gets partially turned into a vampire via being in the blast radius of a vampirism bomb and then fully becomes a vampire later on) to further her suffering.

Or she gets a story path in KH3, but most of the time she has stop Frank Castle from murdering every villain they come across and only succeeds 33% of the time.

• Locked thread