Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think a more pressing matter is the fact that there are also bugs

like, just bugs

it's the Goofy situation all over again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Bogart posted:

I'm going to kiss Quirrell and the elder and the singing mining bug and I'm going to cuck Cornifer and kiss his hot mantis wife.

ahh, bapa nada~

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

the jellyfish are said to be the result of Monomon's experiments, right?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
They’re benign metroids

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

fractalairduct posted:

the jellyfish are said to be the result of Monomon's experiments, right?

They're something related to Monomon but that's about all we know. Big heckin one does guard her chamber at least. She's a big weird jellyfish thing herself so who the heck knows.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Monomon is a cool and good character and so are her precious jelly children.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Monomon is a jellyfish
Jellyfish have tentacles
Metroid is a Japanese series
Quirrel speaks fake Japanese

Deduction complete. :colbert: I shall now submit this lore theory to some god-forsaken wiki

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Your Computer posted:

Monomon is a cool and good character and so are her precious jelly children.

Actually she sucks because she made Umoa, the worst boss in the game.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Quirrel speaks fake Spanish, Hornet speaks fake Japanese.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Torquemadras posted:

I shall now submit this lore theory to some god-forsaken wiki

i'm pretty sure you can't circumcise a bug though

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Internet Kraken posted:

Actually she sucks because she made Umoa, the worst boss in the game.

Flukemarm exists though.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

SirSamVimes posted:

Flukemarm exists though.

I always forget it does.

Though I'd still say Umoa is worse because Flukemarm is totally optional and doesn't take nearly as long to kill.

I Said No posted:

Lemme tell you about my theory involving the grubs

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Did they buff Flukemarm at some point, because when I played through the game when it first came out, I thought that boss was a bit of a joke. I've seen people complain about it recently though.

On the other hand, the second encounter with the crystal bug in the mines was insane.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Broken Cog posted:

Did they buff Flukemarm at some point, because when I played through the game when it first came out, I thought that boss was a bit of a joke. I've seen people complain about it recently though.

On the other hand, the second encounter with the crystal bug in the mines was insane.

You probably found her after getting enough nail upgrades to one shot the flukefeys. Flukemarm is a terrible boss because either a) you can't one shot her minions and she's a slog or b) you can one shot them and she's a joke. There's no middle ground where she's a fun well designed challenge.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

SirSamVimes posted:

You probably found her after getting enough nail upgrades to one shot the flukefeys. Flukemarm is a terrible boss because either a) you can't one shot her minions and she's a slog or b) you can one shot them and she's a joke. There's no middle ground where she's a fun well designed challenge.

Ah yeah, that might be it.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

I killed her with a level 2 nail the first time around, and had fun working out a strat to keep the minions at bay with well-timed Howling Wraiths :kiddo:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The bosses name is Uumuu. Y’all are confusing it with this fucker

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

Broken Cog posted:

Crystal Guardian Mark 2 is definitely one of the hardest bosses in the game.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Gotta love jumping during that fight. *Hop* **quickdraws laser**

I know the normal enemies can fire their beam basically slightly behind them by what must be a delay of the animation and AI targeting system, but I don't recall if Mk2 does or not.

During my two speedrun achievement attempts, I was sad to be reminded you need double-jump to get to him.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

Yeah I was super surprised at how hard that one was. I expected it to be a walkover like most optional bosses, but it killed me even when I did it late with most if not all nail/health upgrades.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Crystal Guardian 2 is one of those bosses that is really susceptible to bum rush tactics. Stack up lifeblood health and quick slash and forget about trying to heal, just run him down.

brain dammej
Oct 6, 2013

Shadecloak trivializes CG Mk. 2.
Stay close to him, hacking away, and when he starts to fire his beam, dash through him and keep at it. It'll be recharged by the time he fires again. No need to jump ever.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I Said No posted:

A-hem

I believe you'll find that Hollow Knight, while not featuring any such material in the literal sense, does contain plenty of metaphors for the SUFFERING and MUTILATION of the male form in its infancy. The main character, while initially appearing male ("knight" referring to "male aristocracy"), explicitly possesses no gender, and is considered "void". The imagery employed by the game ALLOWS NO OTHER CONCLUSION than that male-coded characters are systematically emasculated and robbed of their MASCULINITY through the horrific trauma of snipping weaponry, as evident in the presence of numerous blades who can be considered WEAPONRY OF SNIPPING when more than one is present.

the gently caress did I just write

this is not serious holy poo poo please dont think that

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
MotherFUCKER. I'm 78% into the game, and I did not know about Isma's Tear. I've been going around the pools of acid this entire time.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Also i killed the singing miner bug.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Noooooo :(

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
why would you do this to the poor cinnamon roll

e: still waiting for that Myla DLC

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Me, at the start of a play session: OK time to finally explore Deepnest!

Me, during the play session: Oh hey what's that over there *spends 90 minutes doing everything but Deepnest, including unlocking the Grimm Troupe quest by accident*

Maybe I'll get around to it next time :v: Gotta love a game that compels you to make a to-do list.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Fargin Icehole posted:

MotherFUCKER. I'm 78% into the game, and I did not know about Isma's Tear. I've been going around the pools of acid this entire time.

I did that, but with the ground pound. I thought the Soul Sanctum was an endgame area so I put it off. :shepface:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Picked up this game last summer, couldn't beat the crystal golem, but stumbled into the Resting Grounds anyway, got stuck at the Soul Sanctum mini-boss, the Dung Defender, and the Mantis Lords.
Came back to the game last week or so, and actually got into the groove and beat all those bosses and then some.

That said, I'm currently in the White Palace, and... Why? I looked up a video to see how ridiculous it gets, and gently caress doing any of that.
Just gonna go and find the last dreamer instead.

Oh yeah, everything with the grubs, from the Tower of Love to, the Metamorphosis, is super hosed up.
The mimics were a neat though.

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

It can be made into a total joke once you get the Shade Cloak though.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

wyoming posted:

Picked up this game last summer, couldn't beat the crystal golem, but stumbled into the Resting Grounds anyway, got stuck at the Soul Sanctum mini-boss, the Dung Defender, and the Mantis Lords.
Came back to the game last week or so, and actually got into the groove and beat all those bosses and then some.

That said, I'm currently in the White Palace, and... Why? I looked up a video to see how ridiculous it gets, and gently caress doing any of that.
Just gonna go and find the last dreamer instead.

Oh yeah, everything with the grubs, from the Tower of Love to, the Metamorphosis, is super hosed up.
The mimics were a neat though.

It can be made into a total joke once you get the Shade Cloak though.

For what it's worth, I dunno what video you watched about White Palace, but a lot of it is entirely optional, and smaller bits of it can be skipped. I understand that it's maybe not satisfying for everyone, but there are several bosses that took me longer to beat than White Palace, with the benefit that WP actually keeps staying fresh by offering you new obstacles, while fighting the same boss for three hours is less so.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The only part of normal White Palace that I'd say is actually terrible is the hallway of retracting spears. That spot calls for some unreasonably precise measurement of how far a dash goes. That hallway frustrated me more than anything in Path of Pain, even though I think parts of the latter took me way longer.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
Finished the game at 92%. Didn't experience the Grimms because I was blocked on the last fight for a loooong time. I'll do a complete run once the final expansion arrives

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Pigbuster posted:

I did that, but with the ground pound. I thought the Soul Sanctum was an endgame area so I put it off. :shepface:

I don't think you ever need the ground pound unless you're going for 100%, to be fair.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

fractalairduct posted:

I don't think you ever need the ground pound unless you're going for 100%, to be fair.

the list of things you need to just beat it are, I think, Vengeful Spirit, Mothwing Cloak, Dream Nail, and... Crystal Dash? I think maybe you can do things a long way without Crystal Dash.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Ambivalent posted:

the list of things you need to just beat it are, I think, Vengeful Spirit, Mothwing Cloak, Dream Nail, and... Crystal Dash? I think maybe you can do things a long way without Crystal Dash.

You need either Crystal Dash or Isma's Tear to kill Monomon. You don't need Mothwing cloak: the only time that comes close is while climbing up to Lurien, but you can pogo off of a vase jussst right and skip it.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

That's Monarch Wings. Mothwing is the Dash from Hornet 1

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Ambivalent posted:

That's Monarch Wings. Mothwing is the Dash from Hornet 1

So it is.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

brain dammej posted:

Shadecloak trivializes CG Mk. 2.
Stay close to him, hacking away, and when he starts to fire his beam, dash through him and keep at it. It'll be recharged by the time he fires again. No need to jump ever.
Yeah, boss difficulty in this game is super subjective depending on when you fight them. I would love to see a ng+ mode where you can just select and fight each boss at the "intended" difficulty. My favorite fight is probably Mantis Lords, but somehow I skipped Mantis Village until I had the nail fully upgraded so it was a pretty easy fight for me.

skasion posted:

Crystal Guardian 2 is one of those bosses that is really susceptible to bum rush tactics. Stack up lifeblood health and quick slash and forget about trying to heal, just run him down.
I think Joni's Blessing should be removed, lifeblood stacking trivializes a lot of bosses. I beat all the dream bosses with some combination of Jonis/Heart/Core.

My hardest bosses:

1. Radiance
2. Watcher Knights
3. Crystal Guardian 2
4. Soul Master

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I think I'm the only person who never has too much trouble with Watcher Knights. On the other hand, Soul Master pushed my poo poo in at least a dozen times my first time through.