Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best producer/showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 30 15.31%
Barry Letts 7 3.57%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 32 16.33%
John Nathan-Turner 6 3.06%
Russell T Davies 33 16.84%
Steven Moffat 50 25.51%
Chris Chibnall (I am from the future) 38 19.39%
Total: 196 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Davros1 posted:

Saw that the German Complete 7th Doctor Boxset is going to have the extended version of Silver Nemesis that was released on VHS but not on DVD

Oh, "good"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Yeah, the problem with Silver Nemesis is that there isn't enough of it. Keep adding more bits, that'll sort it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

The complete series 10 blu-ray doesn't have Twice Upon A Time on it :negative:

This is the worst thing to happen involving a missing episode in all of Doctor Who history!

I don't know, there are definitely other Christmas specials I can think of that it would be worse for. Possibly all of them?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

What if...

A Blu-Ray release

Of nothing but Christmas Specials?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Vinylshadow posted:

What if...

A Blu-Ray release

Of nothing but Christmas Specials?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015JHRQ5U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_4YHDAbW94VQ6Z

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh no, the tapes of The Doctor, The Witch, and the Wardrobe have all been wiped.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The_Doctor posted:

Oh no, the tapes of The Doctor, The Witch, and the Wardrobe have all been wiped.

Oh no

whatever will we do

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
There’s never been a good revival-Who Christmas special and I hope Chibnall does away with them :colbert:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There’s never been a good revival-Who Christmas special and I hope Chibnall does away with them :colbert:

Last Christmas and I will fight you so hard on this.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

CobiWann posted:

Nick Frost is the lone bright spot in an otherwise boring story.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

I can't imagine watching all of those back to back, but I love the idea of it.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

CobiWann posted:

Christmas Carol is probably as good too

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I like Last Christmas, A Christmas Carol, the Tennant regeneration episode, and hell, I even enjoy Voyage of the Damned, as much of a boatwreck as it is.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Seconding this. Or at least have it be a decent DW story that's unrelated to Christmas.

Alternatively, just say "gently caress it", go whole hog, and have DW holiday specials for specific holidays all over the place. :v:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Husbands of River Song :colbert:

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Box of Bunnies posted:

A was about to say absolutely and then I remembered that the episode isn't just the last few minutes of it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

2house2fly posted:

Christmas Carol is probably as good too
Unlike Last Christmas it's actually good, because it doesn't rely on cheap "they are awake OR ARE THEY?" poo poo at the end.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Box of Bunnies posted:

Actually, I like that one too. And the Runaway Bride! And The Snowmen!

They sort of have a decent Doctor Who hit rate. Like the superhero one is horrible, the Doctor the Widow and the Wardrobe has a great 20 minute opening and then is just terrible, wasting all of its good actors. The Next Doctor is somehow incredible boring. The Time of the Doctor is an extremely bad conclusion for Matt Smith. And though I like Voyage of the Damned... it's the embarrassing sci-fi version of The Poseidon Adventure. Other than that, they're fine.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

remusclaw posted:

A was about to say absolutely and then I remembered that the episode isn't just the last few minutes of it.

How Long Is A Night On Darillium?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
Personally I want a DW Halloween special.

It's the Great Intelligence, Doctor Who

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Husbands of River Song meant we got the great line “Which one is it? The magician, the spiv, or the geography teacher?” In Doom Coalition 2.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Doctor, dying of thirst, gets trapped in a time vortex which splits him throughout every Pesach festival, everywhere, all throughout time, and chugs the glass of wine meant for Elijah.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

remusclaw posted:

Yeah, meaning the fun caper it starts as isn't undone by the schmaltzy tacked-on continuity weepfest it ends with

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The Doctor runs into Guy Fawkes. Hell, that doesn't even a special, that's a good concept.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I like schmaltzy weepfests every once in awhile.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sydney Bottocks posted:

If I knew how to photoshop I would put upside down K9 on top of the TARDIS.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

I like schmaltzy weepfests every once in awhile.

They're totally appropriate in a Christmas special tbf*, Husbands just felt like it came out of nowhere.

*as successfully argued by Moffat in Time Of The Doctor; Clara's hug with her grandma clearly representing the harmonious--indeed, symbiotic-- relationship between laughter and raw emotion expressed without reservation, as her stepmother's preference for "more dramatic crackers" proves too cold to be compatible with these concepts and is left to sulk

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
At the very least, I want Whitaker’s final episode to not be bogged down with tacked on schmaltzy Christmas stuff. Just let the episode stand on its own without pulling out the “oh it’s the Christmas special, we have to up the sentiment levels to 11” card. I absolutely hated that Moffat did that for Smith’s finale.

And I say this as someone who has a list of various Xmas specials I always watch every year. Doctor Who just can’t nail them for whatever reason, so stop trying.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

If I knew how to photoshop I would put upside down K9 on top of the TARDIS.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Nick Frost is the lone bright spot in an otherwise boring story.

I'm sorry, but if you didn't enjoy Faye Marsay dancing past a bunch of monsters to Merry Christmas Everybody then you have no soul!

I kind of get the feeling that she was sort of planned as the new companion if Jenna Coleman had wanted to leave at that point. Honestly, I feel like that was set up to be her big finale.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'm sorry, but if you didn't enjoy Faye Marsay dancing past a bunch of monsters to Merry Christmas Everybody then you have no soul!

I kind of get the feeling that she was sort of planned as the new companion if Jenna Coleman had wanted to leave at that point. Honestly, I feel like that was set up to be her big finale.

Thank goodness Jenna stuck around. Faye is just entirely unlikable.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The only two Christmas specials I really don't like are Voyage of the Damned and The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe. Voyage because it's relentlessly grim to the point that even Eric "let's see how big we can make the pile of bodies this time" Saward might have looked at it and thought it a bit much. Wardrobe because its "women who aren't mothers aren't really complete people" message is one of the worst things Doctor Who has ever produced. And it's a shame because there are some good ideas in there and because Claire Skinner is fantastic, but, and I don't use the o-word lightly, that poo poo is just plain offensive.

I love The End Of Time far, far more than it deserves.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I liked Faye. She would have been fine as a companion.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think she was. Jenna was originally going to leave after that episode, but she changed her mind at the last minute and they had to rewrite the ending.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I don't think it was rewritten so much as it was written to be a bit modular so it could also function as a goodbye episode if she ended up leaving

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

At one point Chibnall was considering an Halloween special instead. I don't know if that's been completely dropped with the later filming and show launch or if he might look into it again.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Jeez, I started watching the Revival from the start after only watching about half of Matt Smith first season (and his final episodes) and the first season of Capadeli episodes) and now I just started the first Capadeli episodes!

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
You're in for a treat imo, Capaldi's run is mostly great. If you survived Smith's last year and still love this show, you're in it for the long haul now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Soothing Vapors posted:

You're in for a treat imo, Capaldi's run is mostly great. If you survived Smith's last year and still love this show, you're in it for the long haul now

Smith last season had some good ones, through as much I liked Amy and Rory, I wished they had their final moments in the kinda bland but not as awful it was made out to be Christmas episode with the threes. Focusing more on Clara and Great Intelligence would been help out a lot.

• Locked thread