Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
the android blob cat emojis are really ugly. I dunno what they look like in 8 because, predictably, my phone will probably never see it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
https://twitter.com/Foone/status/959329838975696896

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

too bad it'll never get a chance to seek towards finding the next modern upgrade of anroid

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Droid Does.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

the android blob cat emojis are really ugly. I dunno what they look like in 8 because, predictably, my phone will probably never see it

never say never with the magic of xda forums, you too can have hoppyfrogxx720premiums custom aosp build with special prebundled adware root managers android 8.1 (running the 5 kernel)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

eh, the USB floppy drive is presumably acting as a mass storage device.

iOS would work the same if you plugged onto into the camera adaptor.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

i like the blobs cat ones included

i swear i didnt think i had autism but maybe i do because i cant even identify the non blob frowny face on the new emoji

i miss the blobs so much esp. the really old one that looked like he was screaming in anguish:

dude really got my feels in the left version

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

i like the blobs cat ones included

i swear i didnt think i had autism but maybe i do because i cant even identify the non blob frowny face on the new emoji

i miss the blobs so much esp. the really old one that looked like he was screaming in anguish:

dude really got my feels in the left version

yeah, i would also be in anguish if i had to use android

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the blobs are cool and distinctive, and it is typical google to kill them off because they have to fit some model of the market they are imagining

all google design has in fact gone from quirky and often bad to generic and invariably terrible. material is an interesting experiment in just standardizing on annoying and looking out of date

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

"hmm, with us all being so incredibly loving smart obviously us not overtaking apple can only be due to us letting some /personality/ show somewhere~"

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

android has a higher market share than ios in both the us and worldwide tho? I wanna say samsung alone does as well in the us

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

when it gets to mindshare and actually getting money and so on though. in fact that doesn't really cover it, rather google, and a lot of other tech companies, have a bit of an irrational inferiority complex vis-à-vis apple. at least i put the drab design efforts google puts forward down to that

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Vagrancy posted:

Did some googling, looks like Sony Oreo users were invited to the same party:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
trash poor phones don’t count

or they shouldn’t

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

"design-blind" is a term i think about a lot lately

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

~Coxy posted:

eh, the USB floppy drive is presumably acting as a mass storage device.

iOS would work the same if you plugged onto into the camera adaptor.

i have never seen a usb drive that acts as a mass storage device

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

atomicthumbs posted:

I’ve seen the opposite. back in the days before windows had a built in mass storage driver, some usb flash sticks would pretend to be a floppy drive to allow you to install the mass storage driver that was on them.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

atomicthumbs posted:

he’s technically correct, see the subclass tables. mass storage subclass 0x04 is for UFI. http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/devclass_docs/Mass_Storage_Specification_Overview_v1.4_2-19-2010.pdf

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

from the Plex thread, talking about the new VR feature that I think only works on the pixel for now

quote:

The phone did overheat after only about 20 minutes of playing around with it (mixed Plex VR and the demo VR stuff) and the phone gave an ominous "battery overheating" warning. Obviously that's bad, and playing while charging would make it worse, so maybe the next time I try it I'll have a fan blow across the HMD.

That's the only real disappointment with the phone VR experience, that the software is potentially damaging the hardware due to overheating. Other than that it works extremely well!

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

EL BROMANCE posted:

That's the only real disappointment with the phone VR experience, that the software is potentially damaging the hardware due to overheating. Other than that it works extremely well!

EL BROMANCE posted:

EL BROMANCE posted:

EL BROMANCE posted:

EL BROMANCE posted:

EL BROMANCE posted:

EL BROMANCE posted:

EL BROMANCE posted:

EL BROMANCE posted:

EL BROMANCE posted:

EL BROMANCE posted:

EL BROMANCE posted:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
other than that, I really enjoyed "our American cousin"

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

drat too long for a thread title

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I tried a daydream demo thing late last year and it was ridiculously bad compared to an oculus. besides the lovely rendering, the response was not fast enough to make it feel truly immersive. it was just bland and boring.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
this app made my phone literally explode causing horrible burns in my face. 4 stars out of 5

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Android: Other than that it works extremely well!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

HoboMan posted:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

HoboMan posted:

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
idgi missing the blob emojis, they were loving terrible

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

My Linux Rig posted:

you'll hang for this

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

My Linux Rig posted:

stay safe emoji ghost

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
the blob emoji were the only cool part of android really, as everything else on it is a garbage fire

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

blob emoji were good. material design is good. android is good

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

i wonder if they fired the blob emoji person for making something cool and good and thus not on brand

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

atomicthumbs posted:

you'll hang for this

both terrible

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

LastInLine posted:

i wonder if they fired the blob emoji person for making something cool and good and thus not on brand

no because that actually sounds like they some idea about what they're doing. it was probably a focus testing group result or something. focus group aka the bringers of blandness

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

My Linux Rig posted:

both terrible

go to hell

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

My Linux Rig posted:

both terrible

🐢

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

My Linux Rig posted:

both terrible

no way

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
anroid lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

someone else probably made them and they changed them as a bullet point update. if you could have multiple emoji sets you know they would.