Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Fermented Tinal posted:

Sims is storing it until he gets established and has a place he can move it to.

Roadtrip roadtrip roadtrip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Holy poo poo that rust hole in the roof of the Camaro.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

bolind posted:

Holy poo poo that rust hole in the roof of the Camaro.

"Florida car, kept in heated storage year-round."

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Lol that Camaro. The funniest part is someone is actually paying storage for that and has probably paid it's value fifty times over :v:

The damage on the fender means the mullet man was probably drunk, hit someone and then tossed the car in to storage until he thinks its ok and the cops are no longer looking for him.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

:ohdear:

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

ExplodingSims posted:

So there it sits, but at least now it has some company with the worst Camaro:

It is like the Camaro is staring forlornly at that cinderblock, begging you to pick it up and finish it off. Just put me out of my misery already.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

tomapot posted:

It is like the Camaro is staring forlornly at that cinderblock, begging you to pick it up and finish it off. Just put me out of my misery already.

No way, that camaro is wishing that block had three brother blocks......

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Because the wheels are the only thing worth saving :v:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

drat, everyone looking good, honestly.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's some glorious fuckin' hair. I'm even more self conscious of mine thinning.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Do what my mom did... get a hair transplant. :v:

I'm amazed I still have most of my hair. On my mom's side, every male loses their hair by 30, and females in their 50s, avd everyone goes gray early. Dad's side starts thinning in their 50s - dad's 71 and has the typical old man cueball bald spot on the back of his head, but the rest is salt and pepper instead of white. Guessing I got dad's genes when it comes to hair loss, and mom's for the gray (I have a decent amount of gray, helpfully hidden by dye, but you can see it on my temples a little in that pic).

Mine's thinned a bit, but no more than most ~40 year olds.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
My hair is going nearly all white and I CBF with dyes. Worst at the front and sides, plus my beard has turned white and I give no fucks. Being around 40 with long hair and beard turning white stops people begging or talking to me on the street and that's great. Instead of being a target for money I'm a target for sympathy.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Fo3 posted:

My hair is going nearly all white and I CBF with dyes. Worst at the front and sides, plus my beard has turned white and I give no fucks. Being around 40 with long hair and beard turning white stops people begging or talking to me on the street and that's great. Instead of being a target for money I'm a target for sympathy.

Yeah, mine's started to spring white streaks on me in the last year. Can't say it bothers me much, I still have hair. If I was meant to be pretty they'd have used a different design doc. :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The grays started showing up when I was.... 28? 30? I turn 40 this year.

The worst is when you find a gray pube. :argh: You yank it out, and a few weeks later, you find another one. :fuckoff: I gave up on the beard aspect though... I hate shaving, I just buzz the facial hair off when it gets itchy, but I have a bit of gray on my chin. If I had a job where I needed to shave, I'd probably give a poo poo, but right now it's a "take the clippers to the face once a week or when it gets too itchy" gig.

I don't dye it my natural color anyway (brown), I dye it the darkest black I can find. Not trying to hide my age (my teeth make that impossible anyway, they're worse than Dave's), I just like black.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

The grays started showing up when I was.... 28? 30? I turn 40 this year.
:same: I'm really really grey now

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

The worst is when you find a gray pube. :argh:
:lol: no, that has never happened to me thankfully. I'm only grey/white on head and face

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I gave up on the beard aspect though... I hate shaving, I just buzz the facial hair off when it gets itchy, but I have a bit of gray on my chin. If I had a job where I needed to shave, I'd probably give a poo poo, but right now it's a "take the clippers to the face once a week or when it gets too itchy" gig.
My beard is fully white around my chin and I wear it proud as a full length almost pure white goatee/beard

I thought about dye, but like you I started turning 10 years ago and everyone that knows me would LOL if I did it now, ten years after the fact.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I've had longish hair since I was old enough to (legally) make my own decisions (with the occasional random "I'm drunk and gonna buzz it all off" moment), and the dye is my final act of rebellion against helicopter parents. :v: My hair has been most colors you can imagine, so my hair changing colors isn't really a shock to anyone. Really, the issue I had in the past was it was so thick that when I would try to bleach it, it would either go orange (and not really take color the way it should), or fall out, so I stick with dark colors. I've yet to find anyone that could bleach my hair without seriously loving it - though my hair is a bit thinner now (as in the strands themselves are thinner), so it'd probably bleach easier these days. I've been dying my hair various random colors since I was 18 or 19..

i can't do the beard. I've tried. It itches too loving much. But I can't do clean shaven either, so I just stick with clippers with no guard once a week. The GOON MEET pic is about how I usually look, except I keep my hair tied back if I'm at work.

With my genes and age, I know this is probably the last time in my life I'll be able to have long hair, so I'm going to hang on to it as long as I can. :corsair:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Feb 4, 2018

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Shave your head.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I hung onto long hair as long as I could and then I hit puberty and was noticably balding by 16.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I'm gonna do the noble thing when my hair thins too much. I'm gonna grow a skullet (and buy that camaro).

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Seminal Flu posted:

Shave your head.

That's what I do.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Mr. Nice! posted:

That's what I do.

Me, too. The ease of maintenance, not having to take 45 minutes every couple weeks to go to a barber, the badass look, it's all positive results.

Plus, when you've done it for years (I've had a shaved head since the late '90s), you end up laughing at the time, effort and expense people put into stupid hair maintenance.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Yep, started balding, shaved my head and never looked back. Don't have to waste time with haircuts, hairdryers, don't give a gently caress if it's windy, just need some decent hats for when it's very cold or very hot.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Sad old bitches itt

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
My wife (who is a stylist) tried to do everything to save my hair when it started rapidly thinning.

She left for a week and I shaved it off. That was almost 2 years ago, and I regret nothing. Now I'm lazier with it, and usually just do it every Sunday vs every day, but still. And having a job where I don't have to shave now means I finally have a beard.

If your beard is itchy, and you really want to keep it, use beard oil and a good moisturizing shampoo. It relaxes the hair and keeps your skin moist, which takes away all the itch.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

verbal enema posted:

Sad old bitches itt

Lol, coming from the :2009:

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

iwentdoodie posted:

My wife (who is a stylist) tried to do everything to save my hair when it started rapidly thinning.

She left for a week and I shaved it off. That was almost 2 years ago, and I regret nothing. Now I'm lazier with it, and usually just do it every Sunday vs every day, but still. And having a job where I don't have to shave now means I finally have a beard.

If your beard is itchy, and you really want to keep it, use beard oil and a good moisturizing shampoo. It relaxes the hair and keeps your skin moist, which takes away all the itch.

I find anti-dandruff shampoo helps a lot with beard itch.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Seminal Flu posted:

Me, too. The ease of maintenance, not having to take 45 minutes every couple weeks to go to a barber, the badass look, it's all positive results.

Plus, when you've done it for years (I've had a shaved head since the late '90s), you end up laughing at the time, effort and expense people put into stupid hair maintenance.

Lol if you're a women yeah. I still have my hair (thank god) and all I do is wash it and comb it, done. Super difficult maintenance :v:

Haircut every four or five months, not a big deal, I'll take the trade off :)

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Lol if you're a women yeah. I still have my hair (thank god) and all I do is wash it and comb it, done. Super difficult maintenance :v:

Glad I'm not the only one thinking that. I've had a Mohawk since the sixth grade. Still do. Just keep it short for a more "professional". Look . Being a skilled mechanic means my looks dont matter. Short hair is the best. Wash it maybe comb it and ready to go.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I am incensed that you turkeys were HERE, in Dallas, and I was unable to experience Dave. I'm sure you're fine too, Larry.

Hairchat: I won the genetic lottery, there. Still full, no sign of thinning, just salt and pepper, which I am fine with. Grew it out several years in the early 2000s - got about a foot or 18" long, then decided that maintenance was a pain in the rear end, and my hair was really too fine to be that long - it just got... fuzzy and irritating. Whacked it off, and go to my stylist (yeah, one of my few vanities) every 4-6 weeks to keep it pretty short.
Letting my beard grow for winter, though. Usually just do a goatee. If I shave that off, it's:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

ROIGHT. So, as much as I love hairchat, I have an actual update, now that I'm back at a proper computer and can upload the billion or so photos from driving.

So first, starting in Texas:

Which was the only picture I took because the rest of Texas was flatlands, Dallas traffics, and more empty wastes.
But even that paled in comparison the the utter drudgery that was Kansas. There is absolutely nothing in Kansas.
Just miles of empty fields, wind turbines, and the occasion gas station.
Like, here's the high point of Kansas, a mildly amusing sign:

Otherwise, just imagine this for 1000 miles:

And so we made it to Denver, and Dave was dropped off, and began his journey northward.
I continued west, and my GPS decided to take me down a rather fun route.

And so, after a bit of twistyness, I made it back to I70, where the real fun began.

Then the real fun began. Not a whole lot of pictures, since I was trying not to wreck myself.
So, the thing is, I've never driven in snow. Or Ice. And up in the mountains, there was both of those. I'm sure someone's already rushing to their keyboard to laugh here, and I'll take it. :v: But trying to navigate a 16' Box truck with an SUV being towed behind it down slippery 7% grade was not fun time. Other than one sort of close call, I made it through though. The fact that these Chevy vans come with engine braking built in really helped.

So at this point, it was icy, snowy, and I hadn't slept properly in about 50 hours or so, so I decided to call it a day, and pulled into a town called Silverthorne for the the night.
The universe is not without a sense of humor it seems, as I got the only room overlooking a bunch of AC units.

After getting in my room, finally grabbing a shower, which felt so great, I collapsed for a few hours. All the lack of sleep really caught up quick. By that time it was night.
The town is very nice at night.

But more importantly, I was able to get a very good dinner.

And after a proper night's rest, I set off again.
More snow, more grades, but I had a better idea of what I was doing at this point at least.
Got past the mountains, and things flattened out for a bit, but then they got incredible again:

Made a stop at the rest stop in the canyon, and found that the Colorado roads had dirtied up both vehicles quite nicely:

And then pressed on some more:

Stopped off in Palisade to get some gas, and food. It's a kinda sad looking town, but it has two things going for it:
Good Food:

And some cool cars:

So I think for the next post I'll do all my Utah pics. I took so many while I was passing through there. At first I thought it was going to be another empty boring state, but that changed so fast.
Utah was incredible, and I really, really want to visit some of the places I passed through again when I have a more appropriate vehicle.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Snow isn't that bad to drive on IMO, so long as you have decent tires (.... and a vehicle with not-hosed alignment, unlike your box truck :v:). Ice loving sucks, moreso on mountains. Please tell me you gave Penske hell for sending that thing out with belts showing and hosed alignment (if you already turned in the truck, anyway).

Holy mother of gently caress I'm hating TIMG images right about now. Tethering at basically dialup speeds again, it's been 15 minutes since I clicked on the thread and less than half the photos are done loading. :sigh:

e: I see one HVAC unit (possibly a second to the left) and an exhaust fan. :colbert:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Feb 6, 2018

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

ExplodingSims posted:

Utah was incredible, and I really, really want to visit some of the places I passed through again when I have a more appropriate vehicle.

Vegas is actually in a really fantastic location to visit more gorgeous scenery than you can possibly imagine, not only in Utah, but in Nevada itself, as well as northern Arizona and even the mountains of California aren't very far away.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

How does it work with the steering on the SUV in this case? Is it locked in place? If so, how?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Standard key-out steering lock?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I've actually never thought about it, but does that traditionally lock in the "wheels-pointing-straight*" position?

*straight enough.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

bolind posted:

I've actually never thought about it, but does that traditionally lock in the "wheels-pointing-straight*" position?

*straight enough.

On cars I've driven there's a series of detents around the steering wheel, and it can lock into any one of them.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I'd be more worried about the transfer case being destroyed than what the steering was doing

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I saw a wrecker driver tie both seat belts to the steering wheel to lock it in place when reverse towing a large truck that (probably) didn't have a steering lock.

Seems like I remember hearing not to trust the steering lock when towing long distance, cause it will shear or go fubar being a silly thing not designed for the abuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

angryrobots posted:

I saw a wrecker driver tie both seat belts to the steering wheel to lock it in place when reverse towing a large truck that (probably) didn't have a steering lock.

Seems like I remember hearing not to trust the steering lock when towing long distance, cause it will shear or go fubar being a silly thing not designed for the abuse.

I've seen them do that to cars that do have a steering lock. Probably a belt-and-suspenders type thing, just in case.

• Locked thread