Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Duckbox posted:

One of the paradoxes of asymmetrical warfare is that if your intervention is premised on propaganda of the enemy as a weak and scattered "terrorist" peasant rabble, then it becomes a shocking upset any time they act like a normal army. If you pretend an invasion is just "moving the grass," then it's a a big surprise to see grass fight back.

Granted, it is likely this way in part because all the powers involved are both funding their own proxy forces in other theaters while conducting their own major military operations. Everyone is loving everyone else and hoping what goes around doesn't come around (and it always does).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

One down, so many more to go.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Someone is sending a poo poo load of ATGMs to Kurdish forces:

https://twitter.com/QalaatAlMudiq/status/960125679294713857

That's bad news for Turkish forces, if there's one thing we've learnt in Syria, it's ATGMs are the greatest equaliser.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
I guess we all get to find out how well Leopard's hold up. Other than those, what tanks does Turkey use anyway?

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Orange Devil posted:

I guess we all get to find out how well Leopard's hold up. Other than those, what tanks does Turkey use anyway?

Lots of old but modernized Patton tanks of the m48 and m60 types in addition to some Leopard 1 tanks. The bulk of their tank forces are basically made up by older western tanks but it seems like the ones spearheading the Syrian ops are the newer Leopard 2 ones. But I recall reading something about the Turkish armed forces skimping out on some armor upgrades due to the financial crisis? I don't know if that was for the Leopard 2s though, or simply something regarding the continued use of old hardware.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Turkey used at older A4/A5 variant of the Leopard 2, it is missing some of the more modern upgrades and several have already teen taken out around Al-Bab.

Admittedly, they probably bought surplus A4/A5 Leopard 2's just because the more modern versions are that much more expensive especially if you want to field them across an entire army.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Feb 4, 2018

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
loving called it. Eat poo poo and missiles erdogan!

Anybody know what type the tank they just blew up was? The resolution is too crap to make out

E: ok i did say assad might send them manpads specifically, which im not sure the regime even uses extensively. iirc they rely on non-portable systems for air defense?

Anyway. Is there a general term for guided missile systems categorically?

lollontee fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Feb 4, 2018

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Brown Moses posted:

That's bad news for Turkish forces, if there's one thing we've learnt in Syria, it's ATGMs are the greatest equaliser.

Yeah but what these tweets say is that Turkey's pet jihadists (Zinki in this case) have intercepted the shipment. So all these ATGMs won't be used on Turkey's tanks, but presumably on the Assad regime's tanks once the genocide of the Afrin Kurds is completed to Erdogan's satisfaction.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cat Mattress posted:

Yeah but what these tweets say is that Turkey's pet jihadists (Zinki in this case) have intercepted the shipment. So all these ATGMs won't be used on Turkey's tanks, but presumably on the Assad regime's tanks once the genocide of the Afrin Kurds is completed to Erdogan's satisfaction.

Assuming this was the only shipment of note.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

This seems great.

https://twitter.com/abdbozkurt/status/959089711024427009

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Eagerly anticipating Erdogan shaving two separate quarters of his mustache.

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010

Brown Moses posted:

Why the Turks first move wasn't to cut off the bulk of Afrin canton from Assad I'll never know. Do they not get the concept of cutting off your enemy's ability to resupply and reinforce? Saw the same thing in the battle for al-Bab, which took a heavy toll (on them, the TFSA, and the city itself) because of precisely that.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Radio Prune posted:

Why the Turks first move wasn't to cut off the bulk of Afrin canton from Assad I'll never know. Do they not get the concept of cutting off your enemy's ability to resupply and reinforce? Saw the same thing in the battle for al-Bab, which took a heavy toll (on them, the TFSA, and the city itself) because of precisely that.

Because that would have required Turkish army troops attacking regime positions, which would've led them to be bombed by Russian planes. Erdogan definately doesn't want to get into open conflict with Russia at this point, so they're stuck with the one front they have on Afrin.

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010

lollontee posted:

Because that would have required Turkish army troops attacking regime positions

No it wouldn't.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Brown Moses posted:

Well, that lends a bit more credence to this tweet chain:
https://twitter.com/AllyOfTruth/status/959912178223669248

quote:

Well I guess its not THAT special... and to some not THAT surprising...

All info comes from a source I trust 100% and info extremely reliable.

Since #Turkey first threatened #Afrin operation in 2nd half 2017, Jaysh al-Thuwar and friends, located near #Zahraa/#Nubbol near #Aleppo, started buying various kinds of #ATGM's from #NDF, #Hezbollah and other militia stationed in the area.

With prices nearing 10k $ per rocket, large majority of overall ATGM stock present at Nubbol/Zahraa was gradually sold off to #Afrin #SDF in small number bursts (2, 3 rockets) and brought into #SDF-held areas.

The source estimates that minimum amount of ATGM's in hands of #Afrin #SDF and their groups should be atleast 200 if not more, in addition to other ATGMs captured from weapon depot hauls or other combat spoils.

Until start of Olive Branch, ATGMs were stored in a massive weapon depot (location noted but not disclosed).
There is a chance some where destroyed during #Turkey airstrikes and artillery attacks on #Afrin

My source told me more info but is unable to confirm veracity of that, so I am withholding the possibly even more interesting information until further notice.
YPG has been getting as many ATGMs as they can can get their hands on, with their suppliers including Hezbollah and NDF militias. Had Zenki not intercepted that shipment, that would have been even more ATGMs for the YPG.

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68i1ByXHEio

the russian pilot blew himself up.

this will anger the pro-regime people for whom suicide bombing=terrorism

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

How and where did Zenki intercept this shipment?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Radio Prune posted:

No it wouldn't.

Oh word? So tell me, how do you encircle Afrin without holding Aleppo? Or is your suggestion that the Free Turkish Army has somehow in the intervening time transformed into a force capable of taking Aleppo back from the Regime on its own?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

lollontee posted:

Oh word? So tell me, how do you encircle Afrin without holding Aleppo? Or is your suggestion that the Free Turkish Army has somehow in the intervening time transformed into a force capable of taking Aleppo back from the Regime on its own?

I think the point was that they could have prioritized attacking the YPG territory adjacent to regime positions first instead of attacking from the Turkish border. It's a long stretch of land though, so it's not like it would have been a quick fix before getting to the stuff they really care about. Plus it would have left them exposed in the rear if Assad did decide to gently caress with the TFSA.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 4, 2018

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sinteres posted:

I think the point was that they could have prioritized attacking the YPG territory adjacent to regime positions first instead of attacking from the Turkish border. It's a long stretch of land though, so it's not like it would have been a quick fix before getting to the stuff they really care about. Plus it would have left them exposed in the rear if Assad did decide to gently caress with the TFSA.

YPG territory next to regime positions is uhh... A mountain. A range of mountain.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

lollontee posted:

YPG territory next to regime positions is uhh... A mountain. A range of mountain.

So is a lot of the rest of the territory Turkey's been fighting in?

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
Didn't realise Aleppo had somehow teleported itself to somewhere between Darat Izzah and Menagh.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Radio Prune posted:

Didn't realise Aleppo had somehow teleported itself to somewhere between Darat Izzah and Menagh.

Are you dense? I said mountains you dolt. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harim_Mountains

lollontee fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 4, 2018

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You do not march through that.

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010

lollontee posted:

Are you dense? I said mountains you dolt.

lollontee posted:

:thunk:

Besides, the area Turkey and the TFSA has been primarily advancing into is more rugged than the area I'm talking about so :shrug:

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sinteres posted:

So is a lot of the rest of the territory Turkey's been fighting in?

Much smaller, with roads and valleys running through them and opening into plateaus. The Harim mountains on the other hand, have no roads running along them, and maybe one running through them connecting SDF and regime areas. Not gonna happen.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

lollontee posted:

lollontee posted:

lollontee posted:

lollontee posted:

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Go look at a map.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

lollontee posted:

Also there's not just the mountains, there's a very specific bit of regime territory next to YPG territory that has two villages named Nubl and Zahraa. In order to cut off Afrin without attacking the regime directly, Turkey would have to go to the west of Nubl and Zahraa.

Here's the thing though, you might recognize the names Nubl and Zahraa because they were sieged by the rebels for years:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Nubl_and_Al-Zahraa

(Sidenote, holy poo poo things have changed in 3 years.)

Assad and the SAA would most likely hit the roof if Turkish backed rebels started attacking the YPG areas to the west of Nubl and Zahraa. This is because they know that such an attack could very easily lead to a renewed besieging of Nubl and Zahraa when Nusra and company decide "hey, the TFSA is attacking the west, let's attack that thin SAA salient in the east!".

I'm actually a little surprised the SAA hasn't pushed on Biyanun and Hayyan to make that salient a little less precarious.

E: Some more history:

quote:

After months of rebel siege and continuous reciprocal kidnappings, popular committees in [Nubl and Zahraa] agreed to begin negotiations with Sunni rebels on 27 March 2013. The agreement to negotiate was organised by Kurdish parties from the neighbouring Kurd Dagh region, controlled by Kurdish separatists of the PYD. The talks were to be brokered by Kurds, and several kidnapped individuals had been freed on both sides. Over the following years, the only land route that brought some food and essential goods came from the Kurdish-held town of Afrin, to the north.
PYD helped save the people living in Nubl and Zahraa.

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 4, 2018

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
The topographic map I'm looking at shows the area I'm talking about to be less mountainous than the primary area of Turkish operations in the border area.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Radio Prune posted:

The topographic map I'm looking at shows the area I'm talking about to be less mountainous than the primary area of Turkish operations in the border area.

They've been seizing the heights along the border for the same reason Israel held onto the Golan. They're a natural emplacement for anyone looking to lob rockets or shells into Turkey so the Turks want them for themselves.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I like maps

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Turkey could theoretically have encircled Afrin, but I think their idea is to bleed the SDF until Afrin accedes to SAA control. That way, Turkey doesnt have to occupy much of the canton or deal with the awkwardness of telling the TFSA to give land back to the SAA.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

HEY EVERYONE HAVE A HOT TAKE https://www.mintpressnews.com/10-curious-facts-isis-media-ignores/236996/

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Why even bother posting that. Its your standard "just asking questions" conspiracy stuff, just in a top 10 list for more clicks.

Its seriously not worth anyone's time, especially now with IS basically spent as a force.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

So the really bad and dumb discussion about topography aggrevated me into overlaying the Turkish advance on Syria's topography:

Borders are a bit faint because :effort: but I'm not going to waste the time vectorizing that poo poo so it looks nice. Resolution on the DEM is roughly 90 meters. Contrary to lollontee's semi-coherent position, the Turkish aligned forces would not have to go through Aleppo, but they would have to go through Tall Rif'at and would be exposed to regime positions in Zahraa as Saladin Rising pointed out. The prospect of a prolonged siege is not something anyone I think would cherish.

Turkish forces occupied the rugged hills south of Efrin before the operation began, which I presume was done primarily to cut Kurds off from potential resupply prior to the invasion. There's still a good amount of hill country west of Zahraa but compared to the terrain they have chosen to concentrate their offensive against it looks positively gentle.

Interestingly Turkish forces seem to be avoiding the flat valleys that would seem to invite a rapid mechanized advance. I presume this is because forces advancing on a place like Jandaris in the west would be vulnerable to ambush by anti-tank weapons.

I'm not sure what the conventional military tactics are for operating in this kind of terrain but if anyone wants to explore a high resolution terrain data this site is a good source:

https://market.trimbledata.com/#/da...56640625&zoom=9

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
This letter was allegedly found on the shot-down Russian pilot.

The Syriac Military Council is denouncing Turkish fascism, colonialism, and genocidal intent in a press release.

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

Cat Mattress posted:

This letter was allegedly found on the shot-down Russian pilot.

The Syriac Military Council is denouncing Turkish fascism, colonialism, and genocidal intent in a press release.

i think that's just him asking for a medal

i'm sure he'll get it, now.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

https://twitter.com/trbrtc/status/960518332502900736

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Well it’s pre-Turkish so why would they care?