Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Yvonmukluk posted:

If you want Wolverine, then All-New Wolverine is already being published featuring the best of all possible Wolverines, Honey Badger. Also Laura Wolverine & Jonathon the Literal Wolverine are there too & pretty freakin' great. It'll help tide you over until Original Flavour Wolvie comes back.

I don't care for Diet Wolverine, Caffeine-Free Wolverine, or Crystal Pepsi. I like my original-recipe Wolverine with the cocaine still in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

twistedmentat posted:

I've hated Daken up until this series.

Also Gabby's awe at Laura Captain Americaning that guy. Gabby is the best. Oh that reminds me, who was at Sarah Kinney's funeral? Obvs Laura, her aunts, and Gabby, Daken, Logan, Beast, Jubilee and of course JOnathan (who has his own Tux), but who is the blond guy, and the guy with the emo hair, the guy with the black gloves. I assume the blond woman is Carol.

I was just gonna ask the same thing. Blond guy's gotta be Angel, hiding his wings, as he's her boyfriend. I choose to believe white-shoes-longish-hair is Gambit because he's been a major part of her life at times. No idea who black gloves is though.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Scott and Jean are so boring. They're like a high school couple who stayed together long too far into their adult years just because. It's a predictable and trite pairing that's very much a product of the 60s.

Leave Scott dead and let Jean live on her own for a good long while. I think an interesting setup would be Jean, Storm, and Emma acting as some sort of X-Men leadership triumvirate.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

twistedmentat posted:

I've hated Daken up until this series.

Also Gabby's awe at Laura Captain Americaning that guy. Gabby is the best. Oh that reminds me, who was at Sarah Kinney's funeral? Obvs Laura, her aunts, and Gabby, Daken, Logan, Beast, Jubilee and of course JOnathan (who has his own Tux), but who is the blond guy, and the guy with the emo hair, the guy with the black gloves. I assume the blond woman is Carol.

Laura, Megan, Debby, Gabby, Jonathan, Daken, Old Man Logan, Gambit, Jubilee, Beast, Warren, Carol Danvers, and Julian Keller. The latter of whom is quite noteworthy because Taylor hasn't gone near Hellion thus far, and the dude also popped up in Phoenix Resurrection with Laura (but nothing came of it) and now he's attending her mother's funeral. Considering how they left off in Liu's series, something must be afoot.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

davebo posted:

I don't care for Diet Wolverine, Caffeine-Free Wolverine, or Crystal Pepsi. I like my original-recipe Wolverine with the cocaine still in it.

Well, if you want to make actively make your life worse via omission...

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

davebo posted:

You and I are enemies now.

Metalshark posted:

Laura, Megan, Debby, Gabby, Jonathan, Daken, Old Man Logan, Gambit, Jubilee, Beast, Warren, Carol Danvers, and Julian Keller. The latter of whom is quite noteworthy because Taylor hasn't gone near Hellion thus far, and the dude also popped up in Phoenix Resurrection with Laura (but nothing came of it) and now he's attending her mother's funeral. Considering how they left off in Liu's series, something must be afoot.
I feel that having Laura outgrow Hellion was good character development (and I say that as someone who actually liked their relationship in New X-Men). Not really super thrilled that he might be coming back (especially since it means breaking up him & Shark Girl), but it least his existence doesn't offend me like the O5 does.

Kind of wish her Avengers Academy friends had also shown up, but I guess the two she was probably closest (Mettle & Finesse) are dead or no longer her friend, plus basically that entire series all been memory holed.

Or her fellow New X-Men. I know she was close with Dust (is she still alive?) and Elixir (well, they were on X-Force together and he did talk her out of Terminator 2-ing herself during that period) in particular, but the others got along with her, too.

Haven't they stated that the O5 might actually have to get back to the past Samurai Jacksoon? Guess that's going to be a super-awkward breakup for Warren & Laura.

Also, isn't Daken currently being used as a villain in Iceman right now? Seems weird to somehow square that circle with how he's being portrayed in ANW.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The OP5 can't go back to the past. They tried, and there was another set of them there.

Time uh.... found a way.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Aphrodite posted:

The OP5 can't go back to the past. They tried, and there was another set of them there.

Time uh.... found a way.

That's exactly what you're meant to think...

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

Time uh.... found a way.

yeah uh they addressed this in the last x men blue arc

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Aphrodite posted:

Time uh.... found a way.

Yeah you gotta read the latest story arc

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Aphrodite posted:

Time uh.... found a way.

Yeah that wasn't a new O5, it was actually the evil X-Men from Battle of the Atom (because sure, why the hell not).

Timey-wimey stuff happened. It was actually a pretty fun three-issue arc, except for the part where it was six issues.

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I don't know. Everything with the OG5 has kinda sorta rubbed me the wrong way. They have no reason to exist in the stories they're in and, as far as I'm concerned, haven't added anything to the universe. I know they're here to stay but someone needs to do something interesting with them.

That being said, I'm all for Teen Scott. Love that kid and since Adult Scott is dead (for the moment) actually has a place to fill.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

I don't know. Everything with the OG5 has kinda sorta rubbed me the wrong way. They have no reason to exist in the stories they're in and, as far as I'm concerned, haven't added anything to the universe. I know they're here to stay but someone needs to do something interesting with them.

That being said, I'm all for Teen Scott. Love that kid and since Adult Scott is dead (for the moment) actually has a place to fill.

The O5 stuff is the stupidest god damned poo poo and has been from inception, they should never have brought them into the mainline.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The concept bothers me too and I can't believe it's gone on this long. There have been some pretty nice moments with young Scott and like Young Jean is the biggest villain in the Marvel universe to me due to all her problematic telepathy but other than that I just find them fairly redundant.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jean being more prying with her telepathy than actual telepath villains is great.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Yvonmukluk posted:

You and I are enemies now.

I make a lot of enemies. Get in line, bub.

(That felt like something Logan would say, right?)

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The best (but ultimately inessential) use of the Original Time Displaced X-Men was the Dennis Hopeless run, which paired them with Idie and Evan and X-23 in a comic that was basically about the world telling a bunch of teenagers that This Is How Your Life is Destined To Turn Out and then following those teenagers as they cope with the destiny that their 'family'/'society'/'etc' is trying to push/force them towards.

The fact that it's just a blip in the radar between whatever the hell Bendis was hoping to do with them and the way less interesting current "you're from another timeline/universe! You're kind of like uhh... Ultimate 2099 Mutant X Exiles uhhhhhhhhh we sure do have a lot of alternate realities!" means that it is more or less meaningless to the grand scheme of things, but it was the best possible take for the characters once you've accepted that they're there.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I had forgotten grown up Molly Hayes was a villain.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twistedmentat posted:

I wish I could forget all of that. The future Brotherhood was just terrible.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

twistedmentat posted:

Mind-controlled Molly Hayes. Mind-controlled.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

The best part of the Mutant X issue with Bloodstorm wasn't even Bloodstorm, it was Cerebro being some sort of Douglock Deathlok.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

twistedmentat posted:

I don't accept this as reality so it's not canon anymore.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Is everyone forgetting she was under mind-control from Professor Xavier's evil son and immediately turned good when she was free from it?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Covok posted:

Is everyone forgetting she was under mind-control from Professor Xavier's evil son and immediately turned good when she was free from it?

To be fair I try and forget most of what happened in that story. Mustache Colossus and Ice Gandalf were kinda cool though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Wanderer posted:

Nah. Either they go straight back to romantic tension with Logan or they finally pull the trigger on her dating Storm. There isn't really a basis for anything else.

I didn't even know there was a bullet in the chamber. What's the background here?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I didn't even know there was a bullet in the chamber. What's the background here?

They've made out pretty frequently
http://comicbook.com/2014/09/21/x-men-days-of-future-past-deleted-scene-or-is-it-a-blooper-revea/

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No he said Jean and Storm.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

No he said Jean and Storm.

Oh that, Jean and Storm were really close friends any time they were on the team together.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And everyone knows women can't be friends without hooking up.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm half-kidding. As with a lot of Claremont's friendships, there are a lot of scenes between the two of them that can easily be construed as romantic.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I mean that's Claremont. Kitty seems to have been both into Illyana and Rachael.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Aphrodite posted:

And everyone knows women can't be friends without hooking up.

When written by Claremont, this statement loses its sarcasm and becomes a flat statement of fact.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Rachel and Kitty have genuine chemistry in their tenure together in classic Uncanny. Also Romita Jr. draws Rachel in a bunch of zoot suits and skinny ties and other super butch clothing. It's absolutely the Ship That Should Have Been.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Like, here's Rachel's classic hero costume (suspenders!):

And here she is in plain clothes hanging with Kitty (that tie!):

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

In conclusion, while I will accept Kitty getting married to Colossus, I think it is sad that modern authors have not acknowledged Rachel's canonically stupendous gayness.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Wanderer posted:

I'm half-kidding. As with a lot of Claremont's friendships, there are a lot of scenes between the two of them that can easily be construed as romantic.

I didn't think Jean and Storm had a huge amount of interaction in most of Claremont's stories. :shrug:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Android Blues posted:

In conclusion, while I will accept Kitty getting married to Colossus, I think it is sad that modern authors have not acknowledged Rachel's canonically stupendous gayness.

Yea I was legit surprised when they decided to make Kurt and Rachael a thing. Did they not see how she was totally 80s lesbian coded? Even in an alternative version they don't do anything. At least in Secret Wars Illyana ran off with Leah.

And this is her typical reaction to guys trying to pick her up

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Rachel and Kitty is a bit complicated because Future Kitty was basically Rachel’s caretaker/mentor.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was very surprised to learn Claremont was going for Kitty and Rachel because I read all of his run on Excalibur and never got that impression; but I've also read a lot of Uncanny X-Men from the 80s, and I was sure he was going for Kitty and Illyana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I'm not that well versed in the xmen stuff and I've had a question for a while now. Who exactly is Rachel? As far as I can tell, she's sone sort of alternate reality daughter of Jean, who is pretty much the same age. Is that right?
And there was something about them not existing at the same time.

And she wears a lot of spikes for some reason.

Anything else I should know about her?

I know I could just look it up, but asking you guys is more interesting.