Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

a.lo posted:

Nothing against Zelda, but BoTW is so overrated. I LOVE the changes they made and the game deserves high praise, but the ONE thing I just can't stand is that people call it innovative when all it does is adopt Western gaming practices that have been going on for ages haha. The director of the game was very open about that fact and literally teased the game as Western style Japanese food long before release. Just to clarify my tone, I say this with love for Zelda.. I still rock my boy Link in Smash Bros ever since the original.

All I'm saying is, leveled gear, durability for weapons, open world with fast travel and non-linear quests, smart devices and cameras used in gaming, discovering recipes for crafting, climbing and stamina, all done hundreds and hundreds of times. It all works in Zelda and BoTW is amazing for their additions, but it really grinds my gears when the game gets praised for innovation as if it's the first game to do it haha.

I think using the shield as a snowboard is the only innovative part of the game I've seen, and if you count Legolas in The Two Towers it's still a copy haha. I prefer Zelda waayy more than Shadow of the Colossus, but gotta give it to Shadow.. it was the one that was actually innovative in its time. Zelda was most innovative with Ocarina of Time

I don’t think anyone is saying BotW is 100% original ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

a.lo posted:

Nothing against Zelda, but BoTW is so overrated. I LOVE the changes they made and the game deserves high praise, but the ONE thing I just can't stand is that people call it innovative when all it does is adopt Western gaming practices that have been going on for ages haha. The director of the game was very open about that fact and literally teased the game as Western style Japanese food long before release. Just to clarify my tone, I say this with love for Zelda.. I still rock my boy Link in Smash Bros ever since the original.

All I'm saying is, leveled gear, durability for weapons, open world with fast travel and non-linear quests, smart devices and cameras used in gaming, discovering recipes for crafting, climbing and stamina, all done hundreds and hundreds of times. It all works in Zelda and BoTW is amazing for their additions, but it really grinds my gears when the game gets praised for innovation as if it's the first game to do it haha.

I think using the shield as a snowboard is the only innovative part of the game I've seen, and if you count Legolas in The Two Towers it's still a copy haha. I prefer Zelda waayy more than Shadow of the Colossus, but gotta give it to Shadow.. it was the one that was actually innovative in its time. Zelda was most innovative with Ocarina of Time

i don't think that BotW is inventing these elements, but generally refining them and making them more in tune with the open-world goal of exploration. for example, the assassin's creed series does massive, sprawling urban environments that you can climb and explore very well. but it undermines the feeling of exploration by listing everything down as a map checklist. in BotW, you mark your own achievements on the map as points yourself. it's the design focus on exploration and freedom, rather than a strong linear narrative, that i think differentiates it from most other open world games.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Please god release a good zelda soon

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

Please Reggie release a good Metroid soon

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

a.lo posted:

I think it's pretty good haha..

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

a.lo posted:

Cool. Thanks, Hot Take Gyllenhaal

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

a.lo posted:

This is the take that literally everyone had when it was revealed, and then we played it and realized what made it innovative is how it integrated all those things and did it really well

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

Noctone posted:

Why not keep both? The Switch is amazing but it’s in no way a PS4 replacement, they serve wildly different purposes.

Thats the thing, I don't have TIME to play a whole bunch of games any more. Switch offers convience of playing anywhere and great games that will probably be more than enough to fill up the time I do have. But I probably will keep the PS4 anyways.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

Has anyone tried Furi in Switch? How is it compared to it on other platforms?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

a.lo posted:

haha cool

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

a.lo posted:

True, but I think the most innovative thing about it is that it uses a lot more restraint with hand holding and icon hunting than most Western open world games, making exploration feel a lot more interesting. it definitely amounts to a different and (imo) often more satisfying adventure experience than most western games. Of course that's also what makes it feel like a slog sometimes though.

it's not perfect or as original as some would have you believe, but it's definitely unique in it's own way.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Tangent, but when I went on a recent Zelda kick my wife bought me the big art books. One of them, I think Hyrule Hisotria has two little concept art drawings shoehorned in close to the back, between stuff for Zelda 2 and Link to the Past. They're of Princess Zelda, and she's wearing a space suit straight out of Flash Gordon. It haunts my every Zelda related thought because while I get that it was probably drawn on an artist's whim twenty years ago and was never really considered as a concept, I feel consistantly robbed when a new game comes out and its not Wind Waker in space.

So yeah if I wanted to improve BotW, every region would be a different planet and horses would be spaceships.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
I don't think many other games take the direct "you can complete the game right now" angle that Botw does, or at the very least not intentionally? Definitely not the norm as far as wrpgs/open world games go.

Not really sure about the cooking system either and how they integrated the various effects into many various resources that can mostly be combined in various sorts of ways to almost always get something positive.

But regardless, I don't think most people praised Botw as "this is amazingly innovative", heck if the praise was more so called it a return to form back to Zelda 1 style than anything new. The things people usually praise about Botw are things like:

"I can't believe Nintendo finally changed up one of their core franchises"
"I can't believe Nintendo did a proper open-world game"
"I can't believe Nintendo nailed a open world game on their first try"
"I can't believe that the marketing was right, you really can do anything or go wherever you want, and no annoying guidance"

Which is all mostly accurate and what the game deserves to be praised for. It's great not because it stretches the new gameplay mechanic boundaries, but because the Zelda team were tasked with making a open world game and put in everything they had while taking like 95% of the correct things from previous open world games. And it turns out that experience is pretty awesome.

For some people, they haven't experienced the true free roaming exploration since the SNES days or earlier. And for some, they may not have experienced it at all. And I'd feel confident in saying that it's because there really aren't that many games that put together all the pieces for great exploration the way Botw did.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Separate post for a separate point, but to also rehash an argument from like 2 days ago in this thread, innovation =/= good. Not sure why this keeps coming up for years and years

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Ventana posted:

Separate post for a separate point, but to also rehash an argument from like 2 days ago in this thread, innovation =/= good. Not sure why this keeps coming up for years and years

yeah seriously the only games off the top of my head in my favorites list that were "innovative" and did very different poo poo are like, Metal Gear Solid and Ogre Battle, maybe Chrono Trigger? At some point after the N64 and PSX nothing was really "innovative," things just improved from earlier technology maybe couldn't handle. Something like EVO The Search For Eden sure was innovative for its time but man it was by no means perfect or even fun all of the time, and being on the SNES no doubt limited the scope of its big ideas.

You could argue that Mario Odyssey, a very much beloved game from last year, is extremely derivative even from a similar Switch game that came out in the same exact year (Zelda, koroks) and borrows from 64 and Sunshine but it doesn't matter so much as the execution, stylistic choices, and design that improves upon things that we've been playing for a long time.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
This is going around:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/rumor-merch-licensing-company-says-activision-has-five-year-plan-for-crash-bandicoot-games.21097/

Which would be sweet. I very much am all about companies making games available on the Switch so that I can continue not getting a PS4 until Kingdom Hearts 3 forces my hand

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The thing with Breath of the Wild being so praised is that it incorporates so many things from open world games, and figured out what was unnessecary.

I played skyrim a ton, and the open world and questing+shrines feels a lot like skyrim, in that you can go anywhere after the tutorial, but the game reccomends you follow the Main Quest for a smoother experience and to get some useful stuff+advanced tutorials.

The entire skyrim main quest up to the first dragon kill has a whole lot of advanced tutorials for blacksmithing and enchanting, as well as introductions to various things you can do.

Breath of the wild does the same thing but with Kakariko instead of Whiterun.

And you can run across quests and dungeons in the world when exploring, just like Breath of the wild with its shrines and shrine quests.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

This thread talked about wanting Phantom Pain on the Switch and drat do I want that now.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Pharohman777 posted:

The thing with Breath of the Wild being so praised is that it incorporates so many things from open world games, and figured out what was unnessecary.

I played skyrim a ton, and the open world and questing+shrines feels a lot like skyrim, in that you can go anywhere after the tutorial, but the game reccomends you follow the Main Quest for a smoother experience and to get some useful stuff+advanced tutorials.

The entire skyrim main quest up to the first dragon kill has a whole lot of advanced tutorials for blacksmithing and enchanting, as well as introductions to various things you can do.

Breath of the wild does the same thing but with Kakariko instead of Whiterun.

And you can run across quests and dungeons in the world when exploring, just like Breath of the wild with its shrines and shrine quests.

That and the world is just so intelligently designed. Not only are there no invisible walls but everywhere you can get to has at least a little something interesting going on.
I'd say my only gripes with the game are the same I've heard stated before (the shrines feel a bit disconnected and the gear is not as diverse as it could be)

The next game absolution should be an iteration on this formula and god willing it won't take them years to do it.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Yestermoment posted:

This thread talked about wanting Phantom Pain on the Switch and drat do I want that now.

there's an mgs2hd port on nvidia shield which is like the same dang architecture as the switch

i own that game on vita but its a pain in the rear end to play without back shoulder buttons. i wanna play it portable dangit.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

a.lo posted:

drat chalk another one up for gamings ambrosia.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Macaluso posted:

This is going around:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/rumor-merch-licensing-company-says-activision-has-five-year-plan-for-crash-bandicoot-games.21097/

Which would be sweet. I very much am all about companies making games available on the Switch so that I can continue not getting a PS4 until Kingdom Hearts 3 forces my hand

You are much stronger than me same goes for Monster Hunter World.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Zas posted:

there's an mgs2hd port on nvidia shield which is like the same dang architecture as the switch

i own that game on vita but its a pain in the rear end to play without back shoulder buttons. i wanna play it portable dangit.

3 is also coming out on Shield. I really really want Metal Gear games on Switch alone with Snake returning to Smash.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://twitter.com/abe_yasushi9092/status/960181403987017728

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

jetpackhewy posted:

Has anyone tried Furi in Switch? How is it compared to it on other platforms?

Expensive.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Evil Fluffy posted:

You can leave whatsapp groups.

what is the point of that when i can enjoy my breakfast read of them talking about how fuckable zelda is

(i love botw so far but holy poo poo the voices of zelda and the fish champion are so terrible)

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Last year I lived in an area that looked exactly like plains you’d see in the game and I’d think about Koroks every time I saw a weird rock formation.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i picked up necrodancer and can confirm so far it’s a good port. blitzed through the first two zones with no issues aside from rusty skill.

it’s interesting to pick t up as someone who hasn’t touched the DLC on PC because there’s all these new weapons i have no idea what they do

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib
*recently got Switch, comes to thread to see what's up*

a.lo posted:

:yikes:

repeating
Nov 14, 2005
Psyched for Labo so I can find heat leaks in my home. Minus a few points for having to use an RC car game to do so.

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

repeating posted:

Psyched for Labo so I can find heat leaks in my home. Minus a few points for having to use an RC car game to do so.

Think of all the money you can save by just buying that $70 kit.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

Fly with me posted:

Think of all the money you can save by just buying that $70 kit.

I mean, generally, thermal cameras are more than $70.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I think for the sake of SA traffic we should rate it 7.6 or like C+ to stand out and up our viewcounts.
We can justify it for not having fishing or a features in entirely different games.
Like where's spell crafting? What is this 2016?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Weedle posted:

Yup. Also this.

Mashed on the buy it now button on Amazon (I guess I'm horrible). I thought Nintendo swerved away hard from stuff that might be offensive, how did this make the cut?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Blackchamber posted:

Mashed on the buy it now button on Amazon (I guess I'm horrible). I thought Nintendo swerved away hard from stuff that might be offensive, how did this make the cut?

Nintendo funded/published a Bayonetta game. They don’t give a poo poo about having offensive games these days.

That game looks bad but I’d legit like to play a good cop sim.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

SeANMcBAY posted:

Nintendo funded/published a Bayonetta game. They don’t give a poo poo about having offensive games these days.

Please don’t strong woman character shame

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Weird way to announce a new character for Smash.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Why would you want to play as an oppressor? Why would you want to threaten and kill poor people?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Lord Frisk posted:

Why would you want to play as an oppressor? Why would you want to threaten and kill poor people?

Call of Duty is a popular video game franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Yeah, but you don't usually play as the Nazis rounding up "undesirables"

• Locked thread