Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

EponymousMrYar posted:

Don't fight it. Flow with it. Bring your righteous rocking out prowess upon the dudes in there.

So help me if you get the orchestrion for it though. I need that :argh:

Got it on my second run :smuggo: Now I just need the Hell's Lid roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Thundarr posted:

"Bad things happened so this person's crimes are excused" is not a really a thing this game has been doing.

It's been doing the exact opposite, in fact!

I'm fairly confident now in saying that Stormblood's driving question is, "How do you determine the measure of a man?" There's a reason that they leaned hard into the Primals this time around: the Primals are the most outwards expression of the expansion's main narrative conceit, which is that oppression breeds oppression. The Garleans, oppressed for their lack of magic, grew strong off of magitek and began to oppress the rest of the world. The Ala Mhigans, occupied by the Garleans, turned their hatred on perceived collaborators. Fordola, oppressed by her own people, grew to hate them and became their biggest oppressor. The Qalyana, oppressed by Fordola, summoned a Primal in their desperation, and, under her thrall, began attempting to oppress everyone else. It's a long, causal chain, with each hammer-strike of an injury adding another link.

All of this is important to the driving question because it muddies the waters of a person's character. Lyse thinks that she has Fordola's measure figured out - she's a traitor, kinslayer, whatever - and then realizes that she doesn't, because Fordola was forged in the fires of especially ugly circumstances. What's to blame for her actions, then? Is it Garlemald's fault as a whole? Is it the fault of her people? Should we blame Gaius for filling her head with nonsense? Is ultimately only she to blame? Or maybe all of them hold partial fault - but how do you weigh that on the scales of justice? How can you fairly partition out the blame? And when all that's said and done, do her actions after the evil she's done matter at all? The latest patch asks the same thing with Yotsuyu. She was an oppressed woman who bit back disproportionately, but all of that's been stripped away, and the blameless child she used to be sits in plain view. Do you blame her parents? The brothel owner? The society that not only tolerated but encouraged this behaviour? Or is it simply her? And when that's all said and done, is killing someone bereft of the knowledge of what they've done just? Can you justify killing the Yotsuyu that exists now for the actions of the Yotsuyu that existed before?

What I think they're angling for is that, in truth, no one is blameless. To me, a storm of blood is a situation where everyone's hands are stained, from the top all the way to the bottom. It'll take until the end of the expansion to see what their answer to the driving question is.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
How should I spend my company seals? I'm just level 35 and off to fight Titan for the first time in MSQ. I've been thinking of hoarding them to get promoted, but I'm not sure what the benefits are.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Schneider Heim posted:

How should I spend my company seals? I'm just level 35 and off to fight Titan for the first time in MSQ. I've been thinking of hoarding them to get promoted, but I'm not sure what the benefits are.

It's generally a good idea to spend them on getting promotions. There's not a huge number of good things to buy if you're going through for the first time, although you can certainly spend them to pick up an armor or weapon upgrade if you find yourself falling behind. Promotions will gradually unlock more items to purchase, though the real benefit comes at the second-to-last tier of promotion, where you'll be able to put together an adventurer squad that can run small missions for you, similar to retainer ventures, in order to bring back various rewards. At the final rank, you also unlock some special company-specific outfits that you can glamour.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Vermain posted:

It's generally a good idea to spend them on getting promotions. There's not a huge number of good things to buy if you're going through for the first time, although you can certainly spend them to pick up an armor or weapon upgrade if you find yourself falling behind. Promotions will gradually unlock more items to purchase, though the real benefit comes at the second-to-last tier of promotion, where you'll be able to put together an adventurer squad that can run small missions for you, similar to retainer ventures, in order to bring back various rewards. At the final rank, you also unlock some special company-specific outfits that you can glamour.

Adventurer squad? Are those also retainers, or an entirely different thing?

I kinda want the uniforms for glamour purposes but I guess I'll fast-track myself to promotion first.

Oh and a glamour-related question. I've started using the glamour dresser and I've made a plate. Now, when I equipped the plate, I wanted to change the dye of my shirt, so I spent one to do that. Is it possible to dye an item first before adding it to the dresser, so I don't have to re-dye it every time I equip it?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Schneider Heim posted:

I kinda want the uniforms for glamour purposes but I guess I'll fast-track myself to promotion first.

Oh and a glamour-related question. I've started using the glamour dresser and I've made a plate. Now, when I equipped the plate, I wanted to change the dye of my shirt, so I spent one to do that. Is it possible to dye an item first before adding it to the dresser, so I don't have to re-dye it every time I equip it?

The adventurer squad is unlocked at some high rank, and is an NPC team of classes you can send out on missions, or take them into AI dungeons.

You can dye items when they're on your glamour plate, and it will take that colour whenever you use it.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Schneider Heim posted:

Adventurer squads are like retainers without the additional item selling and item storage services. You can recruit a number of them and then send them together on a squadron mission, which will reward them with experience and possibly provide rewards as they get closer to max level. They're not super impactful, but they can give you special squadron manuals that mimic the effects of certain company actions, so you can do things like gaining bonus combat EXP or more gil even if your company has a different action running.

With regards to the plates: you can right click on the item you want to dye in the plate creator and dye it there, and that dye will permanently transfer over when you apply that plate.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Vermain posted:

Adventurer squads are like retainers without the additional item selling and item storage services. You can recruit a number of them and then send them together on a squadron mission, which will reward them with experience and possibly provide rewards as they get closer to max level. They're not super impactful, but they can give you special squadron manuals that mimic the effects of certain company actions, so you can do things like gaining bonus combat EXP or more gil even if your company has a different action running.

With regards to the plates: you can right click on the item you want to dye in the plate creator and dye it there, and that dye will permanently transfer over when you apply that plate.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The adventurer squad is unlocked at some high rank, and is an NPC team of classes you can send out on missions, or take them into AI dungeons.

You can dye items when they're on your glamour plate, and it will take that colour whenever you use it.

Ooooh thanks! I get worried about dyes because they're finite and some seem to be Mog Shop-exclusive...

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Schneider Heim posted:

Ooooh thanks! I get worried about dyes because they're finite and some seem to be Mog Shop-exclusive...

The only ultra-rare dyes are the ones with 'rare and expensive' in the description and are generally very 'pure' variations of their color (or add metallic effects). They come in two kinds, one of which you can buy via the mog shop but can't trade and one that you can get randomly from retainers and can trade. The tradeable versions have 'general-purpose' in their names.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
I've been trying all weekend to get an O5S clear and I finally get a party that knows what they are doing, then I get a client version error mid game. I reconnect and were once again on a great run when I get 900002'd and my internet never went out, got kicked after that one.

I hate this game sometimes.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

So earlier today I was running through Kugane with my pal Exdeath out, and I made a surprising find (video isn't mine):

The perpetually-14-year old part of my brain is pleased.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

The Louisoix and Bahamut minions also fight :3:

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

I would say best of luck to all those hoping to buy a house today, but the FC restriction means if you're trying to buy a house you're not in a goon Free Company which means you're officially dead to me. :colbert:

Best of luck to you guys trying to relocate, though.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

I would say best of luck to all those hoping to buy a house today, but the FC restriction means if you're trying to buy a house you're not in a goon Free Company which means you're officially dead to me. :colbert:

I have an entire set of preferences my pals put together. I half-suspect I'm either going to get the first choice (because the land rush will not be looking at grade 5 medium houses) or, like, nothing at all :(

Are they actually opening many new plots with these various idle purges and so on?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Nessus posted:

Are they actually opening many new plots with these various idle purges and so on?

It's uh..what, five wards and subdivisions per zone? That's a fair few houses.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

It's six wards.

Hopefully they won't finish the maintenance too early.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's uh..what, five wards and subdivisions per zone? That's a fair few houses.
Yeah I'm just not sure how massively severe the land rush is actually going to be. It sounds like people with huge pocketbooks would just go around and basically buy up entire housing wards. There's also talk of how to set up a Busy macro so people can't trade bump you out of the 'buy this house' interface.'

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

You can't own more than one house per server per account now, so you can't just buy up an entire ward.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Ibblebibble posted:

Help, I can't stop rocking out to the fractal continuum hard theme.

:same: except Hells' Lid theme.

This might be one of my favourite patches musically. And I haven't even started a deep dive into the new performance stuff yet.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

vOv posted:

You can't own more than one house per server per account now, so you can't just buy up an entire ward.
For sure, I am probably making over-elaborate battle plans for what amounts to

1. Show up late at night after maintenance ends
2. Go to the plot
3. Plunk Xm gil into the placard
4. Begin installing moais

How do you set the Busy status, anyway? Just... in case.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Nessus posted:

For sure, I am probably making over-elaborate battle plans for what amounts to

1. Show up late at night after maintenance ends
2. Go to the plot
3. Plunk Xm gil into the placard
4. Begin installing moais

How do you set the Busy status, anyway? Just... in case.

/busy. Put it on a macro or something, smack it as you're running towards your house.

For what it's worth I would absolutely /busy, pick the plot you want and your second and third (nearby) choices. Also IIRC you'll want to be mashing refresh on this page shortly before servers come up because that'll let you know when you can actually log in.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

maintenance will never end early when there are housing wards being opened and also you can refresh the server status inside the launcher by clicking the server status button and then going back

that sentence was a mess but i hope you all appreciate it

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Same. Good luck!

You'll need it.

Because the wards open tomorrow.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

The new wards are FC only right?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/Zerochan/status/960459937942941696

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Stormgale posted:

At least for the foreseeable future yeah. They'll supposedly open up for private dwellings later on but there's no ETA for that yet and I wouldn't expect it for a few months.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Stormgale posted:

I believe you can relocate but not acquire new. So even if Shirogane gets turbo-filled that means approximately 40% of the old spaces freed up in the process

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Nessus posted:

I believe you can relocate but not acquire new. So even if Shirogane gets turbo-filled that means approximately 40% of the old spaces freed up in the process

The old spaces become available at a random delay after being left now though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/c99854f1f98e122475db7c6d9310d17801a33e9d

Maint brought forward one hour, ending at the same time as planned.

shas
Jul 27, 2011

I clearly missed or skipped over some choice because I have no memory of Laurentius and Yuyuhase showing up at all recently

and Fordola's accent (and VA in general, in English) is miles better than basically anyone else that isn't the Warrior of Darkness in that one cutscene

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

So earlier today I was running through Kugane with my pal Exdeath out, and I made a surprising find (video isn't mine):

I like how Square-Enix has gradually embraced FF5 as being the goofy entry to the series. The retranslation takes the piss harder than I think any of their other mainstream titles have.

shas posted:

and Fordola's accent (and VA in general, in English) is miles better than basically anyone else that isn't the Warrior of Darkness in that one cutscene

Of the non-main characters, her and Matoya's VA nail their characters the hardest. Gimme more Fordola, Yoshida!!!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

shas posted:

I clearly missed or skipped over some choice because I have no memory of Laurentius and Yuyuhase showing up at all recently

They're only mentioned in 4.1 by Raubahn. The last time they showed up onscreen was Baelsar's Wall.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Does Fordola have an awesome accent in Japanese?

EDIT:

A thought occurs: Has anyone tested to see if the wind-up Kefka and the Gestahl dog minion interact?

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 5, 2018

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Leofish posted:

A thought occurs: Has anyone tested to see if the wind-up Kefka and the Gestahl dog minion interact?

We tested that; didn't get anything out of it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
What is the Ala Mhigan accent in Japanese?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Cephas posted:

Is there a go-to guide for leveling Hand and Land classes? They seem kind of overwhelming to me.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1L1aDMxZOjhdmzsilToDvsrwqfcUOs6NKxhsCBa1IwVQ/preview

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

What is the Ala Mhigan accent in Japanese?

If someone has an accent in a dub, the Japanese is usually Kansai accented, though that's obviously not 100% of the time. Kansai accented characters are often presented as rough or having hard upbringings, like Ala Mhigans obviously.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Not sure that was the best response to someone finding it overwhelming. I keep scrolling and it keeps adding pages.

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Can't stop clicking circles

Wacky Delly posted:

Not sure that was the best response to someone finding it overwhelming. I keep scrolling and it keeps adding pages.

It's not overwhelming at all, here's a handy 320 page guide on the subject.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Wacky Delly posted:

WELCOME TO loving CRAFTING!!!