Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SoftNum posted:

Those with Alpha or pre-alpha or pre-pre-pre-Alpha or whatever access.

What cert is the Executable signed with? :allears:

CR_scribble_sig.jpg

e:taxxe

Lack of Gravitas fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

spacetoaster posted:

https://twitter.com/discolando/status/960346475422146560

That stupid loving tattoo from a stupid movie. Why? WHY!?!?

Hey guys we haven't seen Ben in any thing for months , does he still work there ?

Insert random picture of Ben eating , loving surprise surprise

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

spacetoaster posted:

Man, Lando's beard grows fast. I bet he can go full-hobo in mere two weeks.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
What a fantastic idea, to bring two supermorbidly obese people and a regular obese person to a temple of gluttony. Does Toast have life insurance policies on all three?

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

spacetoaster posted:

All of his shirts have collars that are twice the size of his neck. And it really bothers me for some odd reason.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
They make the table look like it's sized for children.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
And they have an adopted Asian child aka Toast.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Lladre posted:

All of his shirts have collars that are twice the size of his neck. And it really bothers me for some odd reason.

Probably easier to just out the shirt on like a poncho at that point

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
They do this from time to time btw, in a sad and pitiful attempt to get my account suspended. They've been at it for YEARS now.

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/960556865909411842

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

D_Smart posted:

They do this from time to time btw, in a sad and pitiful attempt to get my account suspended. They've been at it for YEARS now.

LOL!! They reported this one too

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/959112603896373249

----------------

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

spacetoaster posted:

Only one empty plate. No prizes for guessing who's it is.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Scruffpuff posted:

That's the whole point for a company that knows what it's doing to have a cert. Might I propose this alternate scenario:

Chris Roberts: (browsing the "www.starcitizen.com" intranet site in 2013) HOW COME ON MY BROWSER OUR SITE DOESN'T SAY SECURE
IT: Because you're just browsing our intranet site, it's fine.
Chris Roberts: IT'S NOT FINE WHEN I GO TO ELITEDANGEROUS.COM THE PIXEL IS GREEN AND IT SAYS SECURE
IT: Yes, because elitedangerous.com is a registered domain protected with a valid SSL certificate.
Chris Roberts: I WANT A VALID ESSESSELL CERTIFICATE
IT: Chris, this is just an intranet site, we don't need that, nobody outside the company...
Chris Roberts: I WANT ESSESSELL GREEN PIXELS LIKE FRONTIER HAS
IT: Here's the thing, we don't actually own the starcitizen.com domain, so we can't get a val...
Chris Roberts: WHAT DO YOU MEAN WE DON'T OWN IT WE DO OWN IT I SAID "STAR CITIZEN" AND NOW IT'S A GAME I'M MAKING I OWN IT I MADE WING COMMANDER
IT: ...
Chris Roberts: MAKE IT HAPPEN OR I WILL loving REPLACE YOU WITH SOMEONE WHO CAN
IT: gently caress it.

It's as if you were a fly in that room.

I could definitely believe that's how that conversation went.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Who ordered the toast, though

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

The reaction of the restaurant owner when he sees Ben walk in the door

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

D_Smart posted:

So you basically loving over some innocent small time appliance store owner over your need to be in the middle of this. :sad:

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
Get hosed Derek

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Blue On Blue posted:

The reaction of the restaurant owner when he sees Ben walk in the door

Doobie looking young

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
so wait, did derek rip that from this dead gay comedy forum and then cnn it via his twitter feed

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/960573891327479808

http://massivelyop.com/2018/02/01/star-citizen-subber-ptu-access-perk-developments-in-the-crytek-lawsuit-and-patch-3-0-1/

----------------

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Omniblivion posted:

so wait, did derek rip that from this dead gay comedy forum and then cnn it via his twitter feed

What does your heartparp tell you?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Omniblivion posted:

Much like pixelemonade and other great sources for Star Citizen information, they usually start with one original blog before repeating themselves endlessly.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
*bursts into the forums*

I HAVE INCREDIBLE NEWS EVERYONE! A VERITABLE SCOOP!

*slams down three binders full of papers with notes scribbled all over, the desk underneath bowing slightly under the strain*

I MANAGED TO GET THE DIRTIEST OF INFORMATION ON THIS PROJECT!

*inhales loudly*

CHRIS AND SANDI

*pauses*

ARE GOING ON VACATION THIS YEAR!

*throws feathered cap at nearest secretary*

NOBODY GETS THESE SCOOPS LIKE I DO!

*topples the lunch room Coke Machine™*

EVERYONE ELSE WAS TOO SCARED TO WRITE ABOUT THIS!

*gaming journos look up and notice the raging warlord*

Hey dude wanna play some Dark Souls? We were gonna give it an 8/10.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
imadethisyoumadethisquestionimadethis.jpg

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Quavers posted:

This will go down well... :ohdear:

:homebrew:

:(

And the best response...

:dance:
Fool Citizen. No-one is buying anything, they're pledging :smuggo:

The one thing that really makes me laugh is the response "no one is making you spend the money they aren't forcing you" thus that means it can not be a scam. Scams are predicated on fooling or otherwise taking advantage of a person to gain something of value from them willingly. Taking something from a person against their will is theft\robbery not a scam.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Tortolia posted:

I appreciate how absolutely everything about SC is a clusterfuck, not just the game itself. Horrid PR and community management? Inability to stay in compliance with the contract signed with your most important vendor? Plaintext passwords in your new website form submittals? A sketchy security certificate installed pointing to a website you don't even own?

It's a hilariously thorough web of top to bottom incompetence.

Best thing is that I have this darned suspicion now that all of their user data and passwords are just sitting on a practically unprotected sql server without even a basic hashing of them. Just raw text everywhere in a field named “password”.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

The Titanic posted:

Best thing is that I have this darned suspicion now that all of their user data and passwords are just sitting on a practically unprotected sql server without even a basic hashing of them. Just raw text everywhere in a field named “password”.

Totally. <starts quietly looking up how to hash passwords on sql>

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

The Titanic posted:

At least the code base is password protected. That video of Chris "coding" is actually a capture of him deleting the only copy of the password they had.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

monkeytek posted:

The one thing that really makes me laugh is the response "no one is making you spend the money they aren't forcing you" thus that means it can not be a scam. Scams are predicated on fooling or otherwise taking advantage of a person to gain something of value from them willingly. Taking something from a person against their will is theft\robbery not a scam.
Agreed.

It also makes everything your fault if you spot anything that's not painting the dream project in a positive light.

- "They said 2014 plus one year or your money back. I want my money back.
- No, it's your fault. Pledges are non refundable because it's against the concept of backing. Plus the TOS has now changed.

- The scope keeps expanding uncontrollably.
- Your fault. The backers voted for it years ago.

- They keep getting money for concept ships and now selling land and hover bikes and tanks(?).
- Your fault. Don't give them any, every ship will be purchasable in-game. They are not selling land but land claims. More vehicles enhance emergent gameplay.

- It's just lies, missed deadlines and constant let down in terms of the expectations they created. They said things would go stale after 3 years. They promised a hundred systems and delivered 3 moons. They have been in an alpha state for six years.
- Your fault. This is how game development works, and you obviously know nothing of it.

- There is no game. This is just a composition of buggy tech demos and mods.
- Your fault. We are all playing the game already and you should watch the weekly episodes to keep up with the smoke and mirrors progress.

It's definitely cult-like behavior. And I think I've said it before. It's understandable because it happens in many crowdfunded projects -- but only for early days and up to a tipping point. People will gang up against you if you are being critical of shady marketing tactics and bloated scope, because it hurts the chance that their dream project will be funded.

But after years of so much amateurism in anything delivered by project (except for ship ads), and hilarious fails on a weekly basis, how can these people expect the best MMO ever and apparently a trilogy of lengthy standalone games (and a prelude maybe)? We are talking about a company that has released nothing for gamers to have a reference point and a project leader dreamer who has yet to come up with an original idea of his own for this and is notorious about being incompetent when it comes to delivering anything.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Lladre posted:

Totally. <starts quietly looking up how to hash passwords on sql>

Check the NIST guidelines. That’s what we follow. In a nutshell you hash/salt/etc the original password and save that value. Any time you do a password comparison you check the original hash against the new password hash coming in.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%
While starcitizen.com is gone, good news, folks.
paaarp.com is totally available

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

The Titanic posted:

Check the NIST guidelines. That’s what we follow. In a nutshell you hash/salt/etc the original password and save that value. Any time you do a password comparison you check the original hash against the new password hash coming in.

Unless NIST is the name of a new ship, I suspect CIG gives less than a gently caress about it...

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Yvonmukluk posted:

I realise this is a bit of an odd question, but what the heck is going on with their lore? I wasn't paying it any attention but I wound up watching a video about the naming of Sci-Fi governments, and apparently the UEE Stands for United Earth Empire. Despite the fact that there is apparently no Emperor because the guy who declared himself emperor got deposed. Apparently the people who deposed him just shrugged and kept the name? I guess they didn't have the budget for new stationery.

Then again, all of the lore basically exists at this point to justify more .jpgs, so it not being thought through isn't exactly a shock.

Edit: Well, except for the 4th Stimpire, of course.

See your mistake is thinking the empire relates to the Sol System but, as seen in Sandi's title, it's the Sol Sytem. Two totally different solar systems with absolutely no relation at all, indeed no refunds from this solar system you are thinking of the one over that way.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

The Titanic posted:

This. Also please use a salt. And also please hash / salt the PW before transit. Your server should never receive plain text passwords at any point. Thanks.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

monkeytek posted:

See your mistake is thinking the empire relates to the Sol System but, as seen in Sandi's title, it's the Sol Sytem. Two totally different solar systems with absolutely no relation at all, indeed no refunds from this solar system you are thinking of the one over that way.

:classiclol:

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
I went to the past and found this:

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
HoboLando's acting ability is right up there with Sandi's.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Tokamak posted:

Great artists steal - Kurt Cobain

Time to re-paint my ceiling - kurt cobain

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
I do like hash but I find it tends to be too salty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Lladre posted:

I do like hash but I find it tends to be too salty.

same