Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Grandma Panic! posted:

I've been a hardcore trek fan since like 13, and as much as I want to, i'm not going to give this show any more chances to redeem itself. It's just bad. It has plot holes. It makes little sense. It doesn't tie into anything past trek. It's the Family Guy of Star Trek. I sincerely wish it wasn't.

edit: i'll be simply happy enough to read about how this show assfucked its way into the star trek canon when it's cancelled somehow and then I can be done with it.

You don't understand because you aren't used to serial television, this is more like a book. These aren't plot holes, these all pay off later. You just aren't sophisticated enough to get it.

The problem is most Star trek fans are not the types of people who read, unlike me, a podcaster. Listen to my new podcast and YouTube review channel about the new Star Trek. Don't forget to like, subscribe, and join us in patreon.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Feb 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Gonna smash that like button so hard it knocks your katra loose

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Al Borland Corp. posted:

You don't understand because you aren't used to serial television, this is more like a book. These aren't plot holes, these all pay off later. You just aren't sophisticated enough to get it.

The problem is most Star trek fans are not the types of people who read, unlike me, a podcaster. Listen to my new podcast and YouTube review channel about the new Star Trek. Don't forget to like, subscribe, and join us in patreon.

I had to pull the ripcord on three separate threads in TV/IV (Orville,General Star Trek, Discovery Specific) because the rabid defenders who get furious if you suggest Discovery might not be good got too annoying to read. They got insufferable after the mid season break when everyone generally agrees the show got better and they could be smug that their misunderstood television show had reached the bar of "Hey it's not complete dogshit."

The Orville thread was the worst because since it is the competition or the enemy or whatever to these people they would go on huge rants about how awful and terrible the show was while silently weeping in the Discovery thread because nobody understood the grimdark swordfighting scenes enough to appreciate them.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Feb 5, 2018

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

VictorianQueerLit posted:

I had to pull the ripcord on three separate threads in TV/IV (Orville,General Star Trek, Discovery Specific) because the rabid defenders who get furious if you suggest Discovery might not be good got too annoying to read. They got insufferable after the mid season break when everyone generally agrees the show got better and they could be smug that their misunderstood television show had reached the bar of "Hey it's not complete dogshit."

The Orville thread was the worst because since it is the competition or the enemy or whatever to these people they would go on huge rants about how awful and terrible the show was while silently weeping in the Discovery thread because nobody understood the grimdark swordfighting scenes enough to appreciate them.

I'm in all those threads, and they were much more fun before STD ("the D stands for disappointment!") was released.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The more I think about the bsg finale the less I like it. It really feels like a show that had loads of good ideas but had no idea how to implement them best. So the ending doesn't feel like the best version they could have come up with.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Those threads are fun because the STD defenders meltdown hard. Declarations of 'Goons don't know how to watch television!!!' are screamed into the void on a fairly regular basis.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

STD being set after DS9 would be perfect. We already got Ezri's on-point little speech about how the Klingon empire is doomed due to a lovely corrupt culture, show this political instability becoming a serious internal problem. Show how the warrior caste is finally losing its dominance as the long alliance with the federation has chilled the klingons out a bit and Martok has put in reforms to curb a lot of the corruption and hereditary rule/nobility in favour of a more merit based/democratic system (this would be quite in character for his hate of nobility). For the most part these are all good and needed reforms for the Klingons but some extremists are angry that the federation is turning them all into soyboys (rootbeerboys?) and bam, you got the annoying klingon xenophobic ultra-traditionalists from STD.

Now just make the plot not bad and the characters not bad!

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I mean new type of top secret travel is a good plot. Finding out your strict slightly arsehole captain isn't very typical Federation because he's actually from the mirror universe is a good plot. Klingon Jihad is a good plot.

The plots should be good in theory. They just miss the point of star trek and spend too much time on unimportant poo poo.

Like really, does anyone feel any better for having seen Burnham attempt that mutiny? It would have been just as fun knowing she had a mysterious past and several members of the crew treat her like poo poo. Then there is a reveal in a line of dialogue, and you go "ahhhh" and then focus back on poo poo like techno babble and obvious morality puzzles.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Is STD still bad everyone

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
We call them STIs now. There was an insurrection.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Monkey Fracas posted:

Is STD still bad everyone

It is fine if you pretend it isn't star trek. Or, I guess, if you've never really watched a star trek show before. Then it's just some generic grimdark scifi and it's fine.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

They should remake the remake of BSG except even more super serious and dark and 200% more Taiko drums and gender swap all the characters this time.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
STD is better then the sum of its parts. Overall its turned into an enjoyable decent enough show but boy does it have issues and its opening sequel was a huge misstep.

Still better then Voyager so far.

revolther
May 27, 2008

shadow puppet of a posted:

Uh, what? No. The important bit is a long, expensive and ultimately pointless action-y scene in the desert about drilling well-water for some race of thirsty bee people.

Remember that? That scene that really brought to life the Star Trek universe and not at all a heap of generic sci-fi mishmash with the occasional wimpy communicator sound foleyd in like nostalgic clip art atop a shady timeshare powerpoint?
When the rehydrated homeworld of the thirsty bee people becomes a reliable source for spore drive fuel, maaan, you're gonna feel so dumb. Just kidding it will still be Star Trek: Discovery.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I liked STD but the latest episode was very bad

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Nutsngum posted:

Still better then Voyager so far.

STD is better show just by the fact that it has an ambition to tell some kind of over arching narrative and break conventions. Viewers can debate its quality and execution but at least it isn't bland and gray.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

TOP TEN STAR TREK: VOYAGER MAIN CHARACTERS
1. TUVOK
2. NEELIX
3. THE DOCTOR
4. 7EVEN
5. JANEWAY
6. HARRY KIM
7. B'ELANNA TORRES
8. CHAKOTAY
9. KES
10. TOM PARIS

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Automatic Slim posted:

STD is better show just by the fact that it has an ambition to tell some kind of over arching narrative and break conventions. Viewers can debate its quality and execution but at least it isn't bland and gray.

It's exactly like every other lovely "prestige drama" and is super bland and also literally grey

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Arcsquad12 posted:

The more I think about the bsg finale the less I like it. It really feels like a show that had loads of good ideas but had no idea how to implement them best. So the ending doesn't feel like the best version they could have come up with.

You mean you weren't blown away that the long-awaited Truth of the Opera House was finally revealed as a few main characters walking into CIC?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

It's exactly like every other lovely "prestige drama" and is super bland and also literally grey

Yeah. The show being aggressively bland is pretty much my main issue with it, besides disliking all characters beside Saru.

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION
The only decent things about disco are Stamets, mirror Lorca and the design for the ship of the dead. Stamets can't carry the whole show.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Arcsquad12 posted:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but all the "good ideas" they had in the first few episodes/season were the same ones from the Original Series. All the remake crew did was add a lot of "secret cylon" junk and god/opera house bs.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Blistex posted:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but all the "good ideas" they had in the first few episodes/season were the same ones from the Original Series. All the remake crew did was add a lot of "secret cylon" junk and god/opera house bs.

The basic premise and setting, sure, but almost every single character is completely different from their original portrayal. I would argue that BSG at its peak was great because of the characters, not the plot or the setting. The original BSG is pure schlock, with all the good and bad that entails. There’s a reason it only survived one season with a short revival in 1980.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
:lol: Called the season finale! Sex Admiral and Burnham pretty much said (word for word) exactly what I joked the old TNG announcer would say.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I thought the finale was next Sunday

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I thought the finale was next Sunday

The, "Next week on Star Trek Discovery" pretty much laid out 90% of the plot for the finale. The only thing up in the air is how Burnham prevents Sex Admiral and Mirror Georgie from committing genocide. Also guessing that she has to make a hard choice and kill Mirror Captain.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Man, you know what was good Sci-Fi?

Red Dwarf. I should watch that again.

Actually, I never did get the 2nd half of the books, I should go buy those.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I actually like the Emperor. Can she be the permanent Protagonist?

She's a horrible racist fascist, but still more likeable than both Lorca or Burnham

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

She's a horrible racist fascist, but still more likeable than both Lorca or Burnham

I was first contact procedures to be immediately accosting any alien she sees and brags about how delicious their species is.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

counterfeitsaint posted:

I was first contact procedures to be immediately accosting any alien she sees and brags about how delicious their species is.

"Ah yes, Betazoid... Your petuitary gland is most delectable *licks lips*

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

Daybreak started high but as it went on and on it got actively weaker until it ended with such a wet fart with that stupid rear end epilogue.

I loved the tiny little toy robots in the shop window that are supposed to be all dooooom and scary with the evil music playing

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

feedmegin posted:

I loved the tiny little toy robots in the shop window that are supposed to be all dooooom and scary with the evil music playing

Because asimo robots are totally the same as cylons! Ron Moore said to himself as he masturbated off camera.

I like to think that all the colonials died out because Apollo told them to go luddite and then they went extinct after scattering across earth. The regular earth humans then prospered.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Feb 6, 2018

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

It doesn't look like there's really anything for me there so I'm skipping it barring any crazy developments next season

same ol' poo poo

mr_gay_sex_fan
Dec 20, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Clark Nova posted:

Isn't police procedural/whodunnit poo poo the b-plot for like 90% of Babylon 5 episodes? Yeah, that's an exaggeration but I remember Garabaldi and other crew members spend a lot of time dealing with ~space crimes~

The one thing I still remember the most about Babylon 5 is the normal dudebro security officer character named Zack.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He was the deaf one who had to lipread, right? (the actor, not the character)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

feedmegin posted:

Nah the dialogue paints it as the point of it being the robots are friendly and helpful. Maybe, just maybe, the cycle won't repeat itself this time.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

He was the deaf one who had to lipread, right? (the actor, not the character)

No that was Richard Biggs, who played Dr Stephen Franklin.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

It doesn't look like there's really anything for me there so I'm skipping it barring any crazy developments next season

same ol' poo poo
The crazy development is that there's going to be another season.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Hey! Racist, facist, people can be good people too, you know!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Johnny Aztec posted:

Hey! Racist, facist, people can be good people too, you know!

Yeah! Giver her a chance. After all, she hasn't committed any war crimes in this universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah! Giver her a chance. After all, she hasn't committed any war crimes in this universe.

OK fine.

Let's see what her first mission is.

Oh, it's the genocide of the Klingon peoples.