Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Maybe kinda a dumb question here, but is just rushing mid the thing to do? I've been trying to be sneaky and flank around (light tank), but usually just get stomped because my team will lose the big brawl in the center.

Or sometimes win because they win or I just cap the enemy base.

there is more than one map in the game, even though it frequently doesn't feel that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

HFX posted:

Are you actively trying to be bad, or are you just one of those people who play for fun?

Yes.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

he's prob running 50% crews and has no idea how spotting works

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Fat Jesus posted:

he's prob running 50% crews and has no idea how spotting works

Are the crews just a "pay real bucks or else" thing? Takes forever from 50%.

Hellsau posted:

there is more than one map in the game, even though it frequently doesn't feel that way

That drat lighthouse map. Ironically I've suddenly gotten all these different ones...Started winning once I could actually scout stuff. Or think I'm scouting stuff. I just sit in a bush at some choke point and try to steal the last hit on enemies.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Literally never go 1/2 lines on Cliff unless you're explicitly just rushing up the ramp into E3/F3, which is suicidally dangerous as a solo. Other than that, whichever team has more idiots camping the 1/2 lines will lose horribly and there's nothing you can do about it so just shoot things.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Are the crews just a "pay real bucks or else" thing? Takes forever from 50%.

you understand a 50% crew means your tank's stats are 50% of what they would be, like twice the reload time, half the accuracy, aim time, view range and everything else, try get at least 75% crew until tier 5 when you really should slow down and get a good crew. T-34, M4 sherman and KV-1 would be best learnings tanks.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Fat Jesus posted:

you understand a 50% crew means your tank's stats are 50% of what they would be, like twice the reload time, half the accuracy, aim time, view range and everything else, try get at least 75% crew until tier 5 when you really should slow down and get a good crew. T-34, M4 sherman and KV-1 would be best learnings tanks.

So dump silver to get them to 75%? I'm on the T-80 tank now, looks like it'll be some time before I can snag the 34 so probably be with it for a while.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

So dump silver to get them to 75%? I'm on the T-80 tank now, looks like it'll be some time before I can snag the 34 so probably be with it for a while.

Yeah, it's expensive but it's really important to at least retrain crew members to 75%. Also, even if you're going to keep a lower-tier tank, move the crew up the line and buy a new one for the old tank.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Atomizer posted:

Yeah, it's expensive but it's really important to at least retrain crew members to 75%. Also, even if you're going to keep a lower-tier tank, move the crew up the line and buy a new one for the old tank.

Oh, I see you can like retrain to move them to another tank. I thought they were stuck with literally one tank for all time. Got a 90% commander now with 2 soon-to-be-replaced shitlords.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Oh, I see you can like retrain to move them to another tank. I thought they were stuck with literally one tank for all time. Got a 90% commander now with 2 soon-to-be-replaced shitlords.

Yeah, that's how you're supposed to do it. The crew gains experience as you grind up the line and then you have a competent crew in your tier 10s. Let me tell you a little story though. Back when I started playing, what, 6+ years ago? I didn't know any of that, so I: retrained crews to 50% because I couldn't afford the credits, and left crews in tanks I was going to keep. The end result is that none of my tanks had decent crews, and even the ones I kept didn't have enough experience to get 6th Sense on the Commander, which is basically a requirement (although I started playing before that existed.) When I finally figured out what I was supposed to be doing, it left me with a bunch of mediocre crew members clogging up my garage (at least for the US, German, and Soviet trees) from selling older tanks, and pitifully-skilled tier 10 crews. The newer lines are better (French, UK, etc.) but several years later I'm still dealing with the consequences.

The moral of the story is, get on Discord, chat & platoon with goons, and learn as much as you can.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.

Hellsau posted:

lol world of tanks used to be way more fun

game needs all chat and hardest1, has uh the new maps come out yet or ..ANYTHING or is there not a set date when they will come yet?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Turmoilx posted:

game needs all chat and hardest1, has uh the new maps come out yet or ..ANYTHING or is there not a set date when they will come yet?

March for 1.0 which is the new engine i believe. Should get the updated maps then.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Atomizer posted:

The moral of the story is, get on Discord, chat & platoon with goons, and learn as much as you can.
You made fun of my Lee, you big bully. :(

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

RanKizama posted:

You made fun of my Lee, you big bully. :(

We just prefer Grant to Lee.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

If you are worried about cost, try to prioritize crewmen in this order. Gunner, Commander or Loader, Driver. Don't every pay extra for a radio man until you can easily make lots of cash. Try to get a tank line up to T5-T6. The following tanks tend to make decent credits: KV-1, M6, M4 (With 105), PZ4H (With 105), Jackson, Stug IV, SU-85, SU-100. The tank destroyers require the most knowledge about game mechanics, the heavies require the least.

Starting at T5, you should always retrain the crew from the previous tank. If you find a line you particularly like, we can probably recommend you a cheap premium of the similar tier which will help you gain credits faster / train crew faster for that nation / role type.

Don't bother with any equipment except toolkit (every tank), binocs (tds), camo net tds), until you figure out if you want to pay money for this game as it cost gold to move them, and selling them only return half the cost. The reason for the above three is they can be moved from tank to tank.

HFX fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Feb 5, 2018

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Atomizer posted:

Yeah, that's how you're supposed to do it. The crew gains experience as you grind up the line and then you have a competent crew in your tier 10s.
When I finally figured out what I was supposed to be doing, it left me with a bunch of mediocre crew members clogging up my garage (at least for the US, German, and Soviet trees) from selling older tanks, and pitifully-skilled tier 10 crews. The newer lines are better (French, UK, etc.) but several years later I'm still dealing with the consequences.

I've been playing this sporadically since late beta and I'm just now realizing what you pointed out. I had the wrong idea that transferred crews remained at 50-75% forever (unless gold was used).

Additionally, I was missing out on tank rewards that were never redeemed until just a few months ago.

Oh... Oh.... WHAT HAVE I DONE!!?

edit: I didn't realize I could buy gold rounds with credits, also small repair kit and small first aid kit usefullness.

moolchaba fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Feb 5, 2018

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

moolchaba posted:

I've been playing this sporadically since late beta and I'm just now realizing what you pointed out. I had the wrong idea that transferred crews remained at 50-75% forever (unless gold was used).

Additionally, I was missing out on tank rewards that were never redeemed until just a few months ago.

edit: I didn't realize I could buy gold rounds with credits, also small repair kit and small first aid kit usefullness.

End thread. Start new thread. Make this the OP.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Has WG made up their mind with what they are going to do with the IS-4 yet? I remember hearing several times they were thinking of getting rid of it.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
If you're wondering if crew skills make any real difference to the tank I unlocked the T-54 through the LTTB and put a fresh crew in it and well my wn8 is under 800. Even with the crew at 100% the lack of sixth sense and snap shot/smooth ride plus repair skills make this thing annoying as gently caress to play. You're just expected to have at least a 3 skill crew at tier 9.

On the flip side, I'm on the VK 30.02M and just by having a 100% crew with decent view range I absolutely clean up at that tier.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

moolchaba posted:

I??? What??? :sigh:

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

HFX posted:

I??? What??? :sigh:

:madmax:

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

HFX posted:

If you are worried about cost, try to prioritize crewmen in this order. Gunner, Commander or Loader, Driver. Don't every pay extra for a radio man until you can easily make lots of cash. Try to get a tank line up to T5-T6. The following tanks tend to make decent credits: KV-1, M6, M4 (With 105), PZ4H (With 105), Jackson, Stug IV, SU-85, SU-100. The tank destroyers require the most knowledge about game mechanics, the heavies require the least.

Starting at T5, you should always retrain the crew from the previous tank. If you find a line you particularly like, we can probably recommend you a cheap premium of the similar tier which will help you gain credits faster / train crew faster for that nation / role type.

Don't bother with any equipment except toolkit (every tank), binocs (tds), camo net tds), until you figure out if you want to pay money for this game as it cost gold to move them, and selling them only return half the cost. The reason for the above three is they can be moved from tank to tank.

When you say "tank line", is that a general light/med/heavy or a literal line like going T-60/70/80/34? I feel like I like medium tanks, but I haven't unlocked a heavy yet so not sure about those.

Also for crews, I've got a T-26 where their skill % are: 76/84/84. I've unlocked the next tank in line, the T-46. If I retrain the T-26 for the T-46 for free, they'll all at 60%. Do I just leave them in the old tank and grab a new 75% crew for the T-46?

Seems like if the crew won't have >75% ability upon using free or silver transfer then it's not worth it to bring them over?

What's the deal with accelerated crew training? Is it mainly a way to level up the crew for that tank? Or is it a way to train up dudes to transfer to another tank? I've got the free T-29 with basically maxed out crew (no perks but 100%) and was thinking it'd be good to move those guys over to the T-34 once I've got it?

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

When you say "tank line", is that a general light/med/heavy or a literal line like going T-60/70/80/34? I feel like I like medium tanks, but I haven't unlocked a heavy yet so not sure about those.

Also for crews, I've got a T-26 where their skill % are: 76/84/84. I've unlocked the next tank in line, the T-46. If I retrain the T-26 for the T-46 for free, they'll all at 60%. Do I just leave them in the old tank and grab a new 75% crew for the T-46?

Seems like if the crew won't have >75% ability upon using free or silver transfer then it's not worth it to bring them over?

What's the deal with accelerated crew training? Is it mainly a way to level up the crew for that tank? Or is it a way to train up dudes to transfer to another tank? I've got the free T-29 with basically maxed out crew (no perks but 100%) and was thinking it'd be good to move those guys over to the T-34 once I've got it?

Tank line refers to a particular advancement of tanks through the tech tree. Example: KV-1, KV-1S, KV-85, IS, IS-3, etc. This is the Russian IS-7 line.
So, if you find you like the heavies, we would recommend you a KV-220 or Churchill III as both are good premium crew trainers. They are relatively forgiving, pay 50% extra credits, and give 50% more xp to your crew.

For the Russian mediums, we would recommend T-34-85M and the Rudy.

One thing to remember with premiums is that your crew will only gain xp if they are in the same type of tank for which they are trained. You can't put them in a different nation and if you put them in a different type, they will not gain xp and they will be at -20% of their skill set.

If retraining will result in < 75%, just get a new crew unless you are particularly attached.

Accelerate crew training: It only works for elite (fully unlocked all modules and next tank) and premium tanks. It takes the crew man with the lowest amount of xp numerically and gives him double xp. So yes, it helps to boost up your crew or get a new crew member caught up.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Accelerated crew training is for elited tanks (no more research to be done). When you check it, all the xp you earned for the tank will go instead to the lowest skilled crew member as additional xp. I hardly every turn it on but I suppose it could be useful if you get a new tank and the crew size goes from 4 to 5 and you need to train another dude up quickly.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Tank line - the continuous line start to finish usually all being the same 'class' except you usually get the switch over at t4/5, but it's not a set in stone kind of thing. Don't keep the t-46...unless you need it to grind credits and junk/don't have anything else to play when your main tank is stuck in game. Honestly don't buy a 75% crew until you're in t4...that's where the grind really starts and is also where your difficulty curve is more a wall than a curve.

If you're in the the T-46 you're going to end up in the T-28 and then the KV-1 which is good. KV-1 line is pretty much one of the best starter lines. If you're looking for mediums to also play you want to go up the t-60 into the t-70 and t-80. The T-34 is a very good place to be although to get the most out of it requires a significant investment of silver to shoot all the premium ammo out of the 57mil.

Accelerated training is for either a premium tank (if you aren't going to grind XP to convert on it) or a tank you've unlocked all the mods on. It dumps a larger amount of XP into your crew making them level up a bit faster, but it's still a gently caress ton of time and games to get them anywhere. If you're talking about the T29 (US tank) and then putting them into the t-34 USSR tank you can't do that. If you mean T34 (US Premium) then since the crew is already a heavy crew, it slots in without any retraining required. Silver training from tank to tank in the same class is a -10% vs going from different classes is a -20% (i think). Moral of the story is that crews in WoT is really dumb, handled poorly, and take ages to be 'useful' by which time you'll either have quit, still be oblivious and bad, or be an exceptionally bitter vet that wishes great harm upon the player base and creators.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Tank line - the continuous line start to finish usually all being the same 'class' except you usually get the switch over at t4/5, but it's not a set in stone kind of thing. Don't keep the t-46...unless you need it to grind credits and junk/don't have anything else to play when your main tank is stuck in game. Honestly don't buy a 75% crew until you're in t4...that's where the grind really starts and is also where your difficulty curve is more a wall than a curve.

If you're in the the T-46 you're going to end up in the T-28 and then the KV-1 which is good. KV-1 line is pretty much one of the best starter lines. If you're looking for mediums to also play you want to go up the t-60 into the t-70 and t-80. The T-34 is a very good place to be although to get the most out of it requires a significant investment of silver to shoot all the premium ammo out of the 57mil.

Accelerated training is for either a premium tank (if you aren't going to grind XP to convert on it) or a tank you've unlocked all the mods on. It dumps a larger amount of XP into your crew making them level up a bit faster, but it's still a gently caress ton of time and games to get them anywhere. If you're talking about the T29 (US tank) and then putting them into the t-34 USSR tank you can't do that. If you mean T34 (US Premium) then since the crew is already a heavy crew, it slots in without any retraining required. Silver training from tank to tank in the same class is a -10% vs going from different classes is a -20% (i think). Moral of the story is that crews in WoT is really dumb, handled poorly, and take ages to be 'useful' by which time you'll either have quit, still be oblivious and bad, or be an exceptionally bitter vet that wishes great harm upon the player base and creators.

Pretty sure the russian tank he is talking about is this one: https://tanks.gg/tank/t-29.

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Moral of the story is that crews in WoT is really dumb, handled poorly, and take ages to be 'useful' by which time you'll either have quit, still be oblivious and bad, or be an exceptionally bitter vet that wishes great harm upon the player base and creators.
That last part describes so many of us.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Secret Confessions of a Stat Badder - I've done stared into the Abyss

My brain has broke. I think I actually prefer to play tanks this way. The incoherent raging from other players is so much funnier when you are completely uninvested in the match. The sheer level of incompetence and incorrectness in the complaints of the jerkbags is astonishing. Finishing top or second on exp in a team that is shrieking about everyone else being shitters? That has a magic that playing properly can't match. Yes 13 or 14 of the players calling out the 'bads' are in fact worse than someone trying to lose. Let. That. Sink. In.

-/-

One piece of advice for people new to premium tanks is that YOU DO NOT HAVE TO RETRAIN CREWS TO DROP THEM IN PREMIUMS! In fact if you had the IS6 (just for example) you should not actually have a crew trained in IS6. You just load up the crew from ANY Russian heavy and go make some credits.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Cartoon posted:

Secret Confessions of a Stat Badder - I've done stared into the Abyss

My brain has broke. I think I actually prefer to play tanks this way. The incoherent raging from other players is so much funnier when you are completely uninvested in the match. The sheer level of incompetence and incorrectness in the complaints of the jerkbags is astonishing. Finishing top or second on exp in a team that is shrieking about everyone else being shitters? That has a magic that playing properly can't match. Yes 13 or 14 of the players calling out the 'bads' are in fact worse than someone trying to lose. Let. That. Sink. In.

Someone I was recently introduced to by a mutual friend mentioned to me the other day that he plays WoT. I asked him what he thought of it and he told me how every match he drives straight into the middle in french heavy tanks and suicide scouts. This is the only way he knows how to play the game, and he quite enjoys doing it.

e: he's made it up to tier 5 after playing on and off for "months"

e2: found him https://tanks.gg/na/moistandready

e3: i do love his username

edit four, the fourth edit. this is the fourth one: he does the same thing in world of warships

Ferrovanadium fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 6, 2018

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

YellerBill posted:

Someone I was recently introduced to by a mutual friend mentioned to me the other day that he plays WoT. I asked him what he thought of it and he told me how every match he drives straight into the middle in french heavy tanks and suicide scouts. This is the only way he knows how to play the game, and he quite enjoys doing it.

e: he's made it up to tier 5 after playing on and off for "months"

e2: found him https://tanks.gg/na/moistandready

e3: i do love his username

edit four, the fourth edit. this is the fourth one: he does the same thing in world of warships
48% ? Pfft coin flipper.

https://tanks.gg/na/You_R_Pwned

:smugbird:

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

What mod packs are people using these days? I don't remember any of the names of the ones I used last time, and even if I did they probably don't exist anymore.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

What mod packs are people using these days? I don't remember any of the names of the ones I used last time, and even if I did they probably don't exist anymore.

http://aslain.com/index.php?/topic/13-092103-aslains-xvm-mod-modpack-installer-wpicture-sound-preview/

I use this one. It's got a million options and a full installer, so do as much or little as you want

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Yes, I can read your confessions of a stat badder posts. I wasn't trying to one-up you, more of continuing on the theme of "hey people who play this game are really bad at, sometimes (mostly, imo) intentionally"

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

You actually have a higher WN8 intentionally trying to lose than some players.... wtf?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

HFX posted:

You actually have a higher WN8 intentionally trying to lose than some players.... wtf?
Once it's a guaranteed loss, or I am the determiner of whether we loss or not, I go hard killing everything in sight and padding those stats. Heartbreaking losses are my speciality. If only he'd made it to the cap ten seconds sooner (etc.). My worst games are the ones where I'm still screwing around being useless and my team collapses before I can switch from HE to AP. One of my aims is to complete the tank missions while maintaining a sub 40% win rate. That should help demonstrate what a participation ribbon event this game actually is.

That's without really trying. Expect the HT missions to be done once I get the Tiger (P). This should also help me gently caress up more games.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

i always advise against mods as soon as you start using them you will turn racist and have headaches and high blood pressure every 9/10 games BUT if your goal is to not play as much ..it works

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

What's "reset him" mean? I was sitting sorta near our base while it was being capped. I assume it means go into the circle?

But like I'm a light tank and there was a heavy and a medium sitting on it so I didn't.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
If you shoot them it'll reset the cap timer

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Ah good to know, well he hid behind a big rock and so did I after my shots bounced off and he nearly one-shotted me.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The only time entering the cap circle actually matters defensively is during encounters. Otherwise damage is the way to go. It's not a 100% awful idea to carry an he round or two for that purpose, tho on light tanks the caliber might be too low to matter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Just shoot the tracks. Component damage counts for cap reset, and all tracks are unarmoured.