Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
Truly the cutting-edge technology Kickstarter deserves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SpacePig posted:

It was a Shark Tank deal for 100% of the company.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdTkL_hqTww

Hahahaha this rules. The Sharks act like such knowledgeable titans of industry and then they go and drop 500k on this crap.

The only people who have records are people who care about audio quality. There's no market for that thing.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Hahahaha this rules. The Sharks act like such knowledgeable titans of industry and then they go and drop 500k on this crap.

The only people who have records are people who care about audio quality. There's no market for that thing.

Not true, there's a large group of depression-riddled college students who all have records for some reason. They just also don't have any money.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

And yet Crosley record players exist. People are dumb and buy bad things.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gKP8JprWBM

Does the same thing, but doesn't look like a loving exit-bag.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Toys For rear end Bum posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gKP8JprWBM

Does the same thing, but doesn't look like a loving exit-bag.

That's from 2009 though, not sure it could handle today's phablets.

lol, https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B00P021ZES/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_cmps_btm?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews

Facebook Aunt has a new favorite as of 10:22 on Feb 4, 2018

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Zaphod42 posted:

The only people who have records are people who care about audio quality.

People who care about sound quality don't want a medium that's full of pops and clicks and physically destroys itself a little every time it's played. The only people using records are tone deaf boomers who grew up with it, and hipster morons who think collecting vinyl makes them interesting.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Sweevo posted:

People who care about sound quality don't want a medium that's full of pops and clicks and physically destroys itself a little every time it's played. The only people using records are tone deaf boomers who grew up with it, and hipster morons who think collecting vinyl makes them interesting.

"You don't understand the richer and warmer sound of vinyl maaaaaaan!"

Did anyone ever make a thread for audiophile garbage like the bag of magic rocks that you strapped onto your cables to somehow improve their sound?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3166333

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Edit: and here's a lovely low effort project

Turning a unique board game into a virtual masterpiece.

He's a loving board game ideas man who wants to hire people to do all the boring work of creating the actual game for him. His fundraising goal was $10,000 and he had a single reward tier of $10,000 for "Earn a meeting with me to discuss business."

Haha, the creator gets frustrated with nobody backing his project and posted this on the comments

Project creator posted:

Can someone tell me why I'm not getting backers. I get multiple views everyday without any backing or questions.

Then some people pledge to post comments and he argues with them

Project creator posted:

I thought this site is for tax write offs and helping people. I guess only established companies are aloud to ask for money. Why is this site called what it is? I have a project that I started and I need a kick "investment" to turn it into reality. Do you guys want a free t-shirt or something? Is that why you are here?

Project creator posted:

I still have the best board game ever created. I believe in it. What do you need to believe? Remember that because of costs I do not have a final version. I'm here for money to turn it into a game app instead. Do I need to start a kickstarter page so I can launch the board game first? I rather bring it online so I can have the funding to make it cost effective and a work of art.

Personally, I feel like making a physical board game should be easier than making a videogame. Videogames take forever to program and test and whatever, in addition to getting game mechanics working, whereas with a physical board you just need gameplay mechanics and artwork. Though I guess the distribution side for a physical game would be harder.

Also, yes people who pledge to kickstarter want free t-shirts and poo poo, that is exactly the kind of thing people expect when kickstarting projects. Also getting the game itself.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'd say a board game anyone wants to play needs some playtesting, but then again half the board games everyone knows and owns two or three versions of. What you need is a marketing campaign.

I remember seeing an XCOM board game in Gametraders, they still do tie-ins. My uncle has an old Rex Hunt's Fishing Adventures board game, including fish trivia I argued with my dad about. (are sharks fish?)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

8one6 posted:

Did anyone ever make a thread for audiophile garbage like the bag of magic rocks that you strapped onto your cables to somehow improve their sound?

You mean ferrite beads?

They stop cables acting as accidental high frequency transmitters and receivers

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Heh I buy records once in a while.
They usually support an artist i like, come with a convenient mp3 download and have nice art inside.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Infinitum posted:

You mean ferrite beads?

They stop cables acting as accidental high frequency transmitters and receivers

Hahahahahahaha, as if!

http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina31.htm

isoprenaline
Jun 4, 2005

And there, till Christ call forth the dead,
In silence let him lie:
No need to waste the foolish tear,
Or heave the windy sigh:
The man had killed the thing he loved,
And so he had to die.

Inescapable Duck posted:

I'd say a board game anyone wants to play needs some playtesting, but then again half the board games everyone knows and owns two or three versions of. What you need is a marketing campaign.

I remember seeing an XCOM board game in Gametraders, they still do tie-ins. My uncle has an old Rex Hunt's Fishing Adventures board game, including fish trivia I argued with my dad about. (are sharks fish?)

Off topic, but yes they are.

And I would kill for an XCom board game, something I never knew existed until now. It sounds awesome.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/163602/xcom-board-game

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

It's also an excellent game, played it many many times.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Epic boardgame guy posted:

Funds needed to hire game developers to produce my vision.
Lol if you kept reading past this line. He's an 'ideas' guy who wants to pay someone else to do the work.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

StuG Jeebus posted:

Lol if you kept reading past this line. He's an 'ideas' guy who wants other people to pay someone else to do the work.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

unpacked robinhood posted:

Heh I buy records once in a while.
They usually support an artist i like, come with a convenient mp3 download and have nice art inside.
I bought a record at the first concert I went to. I don't own and probably never will own a record player, but a signed record makes a nice souvenir.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

8one6 posted:

One of the best F Plus episodes is about that nonsense.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

AlbieQuirky posted:

One of the best F Plus episodes is about that nonsense.

There's a really good "let's ridicule audiophiles" thread somewhere, probably the goldmine

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

unpacked robinhood posted:

There's a really good "let's ridicule audiophiles" thread somewhere, probably the goldmine

I posted the link to the current thread a bit ago.

Here's the F Plus episode: https://thefpl.us/episode/138

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Inescapable Duck posted:

My uncle has an old Rex Hunt's Fishing Adventures board game, including fish trivia I argued with my dad about. (are sharks fish?)

We had a big discussion about movie tie-in boardgames and videogames in CD and tracked down a huge number of ridiculous movie-themed games and when I was tracking them down I also noticed a huge number of TV-themed games including MASH, All In The Family, Welcome Back Kotter, Hogan's Heroes, etc etc etc.. (And that's not even touching on tie-in/spinoff cartoon series and comic books)

Weirdly enough Kickstarter projects for movie-themed board games are often wildly successful, like the Ghostbusters board game. I guess if they're competent enough to legitimately secure the licence to a famous movie they're probably competent enough for all the rest.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

gschmidl posted:

I posted the link to the current thread a bit ago.

Here's the F Plus episode: https://thefpl.us/episode/138

Patrick82 is a treasure.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

:laffo: What the gently caress is this poo poo?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

HAHAHAHAHA

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the best part about those magic rocks in plastic bags site is, afaik it started as a joke site, but then people kept asking about the rocks so he put up a paypal and started selling them

might be mixing up my audiophile sites but i think that's the one.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Truga posted:

the best part about those magic rocks in plastic bags site is, afaik it started as a joke site, but then people kept asking about the rocks so he put up a paypal and started selling them

The funnier one IMO is the ‘clever little clock’ (literally just an off the shelf digital clock with a sticker on its face):

The deliciously pseudoscience-y sales pitch outright states that it’s a placebo.

But it still got rave audiophile reviews.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Infinitum posted:

:laffo: What the gently caress is this poo poo?

Something a genius makes money with off of idiots.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The entire audiophile industry is rich old stupid men getting duped by placebos.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
hey, if placebo works for you, why not?? :biotruths:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Truga posted:

It's 100% true. IF you look at the site on archive.org you can see that back when it first went up it was exclusively little cheap household items the guy already had eg the Clever Little Clock option was one of those super cheap little alarm clock/timer things you used to be able to get at a supermarket for like a buck.

And they described it like this:

Machina Dynamica's new product is the Clever Little Clock, a unique and exceptionally powerful audio accessory based on concepts and techniques originally developed by PWB Electronics, England. Machina Dynamica produces the Clever Little Clock with the kind permission of PWB Electronics.

The Clever Little Clock is a small, battery-powered alarm clock that has been extensively modified using a number of highly-specialized techniques. The Clever Little Clock does not plug into the wall and has no direct or indirect influence on the audio signal -- not on house wiring, audio components, cables, interconnects, power cords or acoustic waves. Yet the Clock has a pronounced affect on the sound produced by all digital and analog playback systems. In addition, all video systems/formats in the house will be improved by placing one or two clocks in the listening room; the video picture will be clearer, with better contrast and color saturation -- TV, cable TV, DVD, etc.

Remove the Clock from its clear bubble pack and place it anywhere in the listening room. The sound will be considerably more musical and live sounding. There will be less distortion, more information and a deep, coherent soundstage. Low frequencies will be articulate, extended and dynamic, high frequencies exceptionally smooth with phenomenal inner detail. In other words, More of Everything!!

While a Clever Little Clock can provide a remarkable improvement to the sound, a second clock in the room can be extraordinary.

The Clever Little Clock should not be re-set or adjusted in any way. Machina Dynamica reserves the right to use more than one brand/model to produce Clever Little Clocks, so don't be alarmed if the Clock you receive is not the exact one in the photo. All versions of the Clever Little Clock are sonically equivalent.

For A/B comparisons, i.e., to evaluate the sound without the Clock(s), place the Clock(s) outside the house structure, for example on the front steps -- but NOT in a drawer, closet, another room, basement or garage OR, as it turns out, the family car.

The Clever Little Clock's longevity is expected to exceed 5 years. The Clever Little Clock uses specially prepared, super long-lifetime batteries; NOTE: do not replace these batteries with off-the-shelf batteries.

The Clever Little Clock is covered by our 30-day money-back guarantee.

Price $199 direct from Machina Dynamica.

Plus this was the model they sold at the time:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
audiophilia is the funniest philia

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Truga posted:

hey, if placebo works for you, why not?? :biotruths:

They're a very good band. And Brian Molko is dreamy. :allears:

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1468459482/vortex-shadow-leather-bag

This backpack might be fine but all I can think about is pig-making GBS threads-on-balls.jpg

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCr9bC1zL1Y

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Just buy one of those pee bottles they use in hospitals.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

How many piss-starters can there be? I think Retsupurae did 2 of them.

e: I'd like to add that those piss bottles looked much better than this sorry thing made from a Poland Spring bottle.

Harveygod has a new favorite as of 15:49 on Feb 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Harveygod posted:

How many piss-starters can there be? I think Retsupurae did 2 of them.

Piss, like stupidity, is an unlimited resource.