Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

of course it's polygon and of course the dude started as a flipper lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Kthulhu5000 posted:

And, of course, the end product might just be a piece of crap anyway, so:

sudo rm -rf posted:

we just need fpga-simulated versions of every pre-hd console

Not sure what FPGAs have to do with what I said? They will be nice but they have no effect on input lag, that's why I said CRTs.

I guess if vinyl records can make a resurgence so can analog video someday.

e: FPGAs could mean everything outputs in low-res component or RGB so other inputs would be unnecessary. I guess? Right? Having trouble with reading comprehension again.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 6, 2018

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I don't really know much about FPGAs but I think I've seen FPGA systems that recreate multiple old computers (in one unit). what's stopping people from making an FPGA based JAMMA multi arcade system? would be pretty awesome and finally banish things like pandora box to the dumpster

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

d0s posted:

I don't really know much about FPGAs but I think I've seen FPGA systems that recreate multiple old computers (in one unit). what's stopping people from making an FPGA based JAMMA multi arcade system? would be pretty awesome and finally banish things like pandora box to the dumpster

Time and effort I think. You still need to have the target hardware pretty well reverse engineered before you can simulate it with an FPGA. So, if you do a bad job of it an FPGA console can be just as bad as a shoddy emulator. Also, it seems like FPGAs are just now getting to where they can handle stuff like 16-bit video games.

From what I gather the big deal with FPGAs and retro gaming is that they can hit "cycle accurate simulation" of old game consoles at a very low price. Like, cycle accurate SNES emulators exist but you can't run them on a Raspberry Pi. You still need a semi-beefy computer. But FPGA consoles can do it for less than $200.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Are there little bluetooth boards that present as a game controller and have solder points for a battery/charge port/a decent amount of buttons? I want to get rid of the wires connected to my knockoff classic game controllers and arcade sticks.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Elliotw2 posted:

S-Video was never terribly popular out of special applications so it's not surprising that it was the first input to go.

It's also the dumbest connector design and a total pain in the rear end if you aren't looking directly at it. Wish they had just kept it dual RCA like Commodore did.

My Life In Gaming apparently has a really good video coming out on it with a deep dive on Kevtris. Should be up the day it comes out when the embargo comes down.

Beffica
Apr 6, 2009

by Azathoth
I'm getting back into N64 but my controllers have pretty worn out sticks and I only have 2 left, and I'm not ready to open them up and try to replace/fix the sticks myself. Who are the reliable sellers and how much do the good ones cost? I wanted to check here before I go on ebay and potentially waste $15.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Ofecks posted:

Not sure what FPGAs have to do with what I said? They will be nice but they have no effect on input lag, that's why I said CRTs.

I guess if vinyl records can make a resurgence so can analog video someday.

e: FPGAs could mean everything outputs in low-res component or RGB so other inputs would be unnecessary. I guess? Right? Having trouble with reading comprehension again.

Cloning something like the SNES in an FPGA would mean that SNES games could be output in high-resolution HDMI with no lag. This is because of how a lot of old game consoles worked, in that they typically have an internal pre-stage of digital video data.

Normally, that data would go to an analog video encoder (to create composite, S-Video, RGB, whatever), but in an FPGA implementation (or reimplementation, as it were), that digital video that the console uses can be piped right to an HDMI encoder, quickly scaled to a higher resolution, and then go right to a modern HD display.

Compared to most current solutions, of taking low-res analog video, converting it to digital, and then scaling it, it's not hard to see the advantage that a good FPGA hardware clone could have. Hell, you don't even need a whole implementation of the console; Kevtris' Hi-Def NES HDMI kit works with existing NES hardware to basically do what I mentioned above (I think).

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Sir Tonk posted:

My Life In Gaming apparently has a really good video coming out on it with a deep dive on Kevtris.

who is really the dude who should be getting the props

e:

McCracAttack posted:

Also, it seems like FPGAs are just now getting to where they can handle stuff like 16-bit video games.

even an 8-bit only (well done) FPGA JAMMA multigame would be absolutely nuts

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Picked this guy up last week and hope to run some stuff through it soon, got it stored at work while I clear out space (goddamn it's heavy).

Sony Wega KV-34XBR910

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/sony-wega-kv-34xbr910-direct-view-hdtv

$2500 new in 2004 and has this very nice collection of input options:

Sony added HDMI soon after with the 960 model, which I'd be real curious to see but the resolution didn't change. Only real bonus is that the newer one had the OTA digital converter built-in.

The TV, of course, came with the custom stand Sony had for all their WEGA sets and the guy insisted I take his period Sony DVD player and digital converter box (the basic composite only one, unfortunately). It's hilarious how many of the 4:3 WEGAs are on craigslist at any given time, but this is the first widescreen one I've seen that I can remember.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

d0s posted:

who is really the dude who should be getting the props

For real, I loved all the videos GameTech did with him back when they were working on the HiDefNES. Dude's brain functions on a whole nother level, he's one of those guys that should be given infinite funding and just be allowed to create things.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Chemical Bastard posted:

I'm getting back into N64 but my controllers have pretty worn out sticks and I only have 2 left, and I'm not ready to open them up and try to replace/fix the sticks myself. Who are the reliable sellers and how much do the good ones cost? I wanted to check here before I go on ebay and potentially waste $15.

there was a kickstarter for a new n64 controller last fall:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1247448559/next-gen-n64-nintendo-64-controller

this turned into:
http://retrofighters.com

which are supposedly coming out this month or next, but i haven't heard anything solid yet (i pre-ordered a couple).

here was a video of a youtuber getting a pre-production model:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgG0Z7pPu-I&t=381s

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Those wide edtv CRTs are loving amazing for something like a Wii but the picture quality for most older systems one em is pretty bad compared to a normal 4:3 wega or something. Not really sure why that is actually

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

sudo rm -rf posted:

there was a kickstarter for a new n64 controller last fall:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1247448559/next-gen-n64-nintendo-64-controller

this turned into:
http://retrofighters.com

which are supposedly coming out this month or next, but i haven't heard anything solid yet (i pre-ordered a couple).

here was a video of a youtuber getting a pre-production model:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgG0Z7pPu-I&t=381s
That smooth head on the stick, though...

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

gently caress you Ultima Exodus on the NES! I want a female Fighter and wizard! :argh:

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

honestly the issue i'm most concerned about is that the analog stick has all degrees of motion, something other gamecube-style sticks in n64 controllers seem to have had issues with in the past.

but gently caress it's 30 bucks and i'm tired of all my broken-rear end analog sticks

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

d0s posted:

Those wide edtv CRTs are loving amazing for something like a Wii but the picture quality for most older systems one em is pretty bad compared to a normal 4:3 wega or something. Not really sure why that is actually

It might just be the nature of widening a CRT, or how it scales 240p/480i. I'll run a bunch of console through it and see how it pans out. I was mostly wanting it for stuff like the Xbox, PS2, Gamecube and Wii. Coincidentally, I've got a 4:3 WEGA in the garage a friend gave me that I haven't been able to get rid of, might be able to do some comparisons.

It's too bad Bob is retiring from RetroRGB cause I'd suggest he do a video on the widescreen CRTs since he's connected with the guys RGB modding consumer sets. Maybe someone else like MLiG will do it, I'll ask them and see if they're interested. Kinda doubt any of them want two 200lb+ TVs in their house just for testing purposes, but who knows.

edit

BigRed0427 posted:

gently caress you Ultima Exodus on the NES! I want a female Fighter and wizard! :argh:

Wasn't there a dad that got in the news a couple of years ago that was making rom hacks where he changed the character sprite to female for his daughter?

You'd think there would be a site that only had rom hacks like that, if there isn't one already.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

sudo rm -rf posted:

honestly the issue i'm most concerned about is that the analog stick has all degrees of motion, something other gamecube-style sticks in n64 controllers seem to have had issues with in the past.

but gently caress it's 30 bucks and i'm tired of all my broken-rear end analog sticks

I got in on the kickstarter as did a few other thread regulars, we should have some answers on if it's any good pretty soon.

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

d0s posted:

I think they're great for PS3 too, some games that can't quite handle 720p look so much better.

Sad news, Bob from RetroRGB is done with his weekly updates for the foreseeable future. Here's his last one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i69YUDkDiY

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Cornflakes posted:

I think they're great for PS3 too, some games that can't quite handle 720p look so much better.

Sad news, Bob from RetroRGB is done with his weekly updates for the foreseeable future. Here's his last one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i69YUDkDiY

I tried watching a couple of these and it seems like he would be better off just making separate videos for each topic he wants to cover in a episode.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

are any of the guys in the retro roundtable goons

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Bob sucks at the videos anyway. The weekly videos are so painful to watch.it was nice to have something informative and the site has a lot of good info too, but presenting topics in poorly edited 45 minute long ramble-fest videos is obviously not his strong suit.

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

Yeah fair point but once every video was thoroughly timestamped I thought it was really useful

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
"WE GOT A DONKEY KONG KILL-SCREEN COMING UP IF ANYONE WANTS TO WATCH"

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

GutBomb posted:

Bob sucks at the videos anyway. The weekly videos are so painful to watch.it was nice to have something informative and the site has a lot of good info too, but presenting topics in poorly edited 45 minute long ramble-fest videos is obviously not his strong suit.

Yeah there's a reason TV shows had large crews and youtube content really highlights that.

Bob is a great guy, I got to meet him when I was in NYC a few weeks ago and it was a fun time. Dude is so earnest and just wants to help people however he can.

What he really needs is a crew of people to work on the weekly videos with (at least one being an editor). Have different people do individual videos for each topic and then throw them all together for the weekly roundup, or just put each small one out if you're into clicks and release the whole thing as a podcast like Contri does. Sucks that there isn't really any money in doing this and definitely not enough to employ more than one or two people, if you're lucky. Gonna be a while before video game podcasts reach the funding level of Chapo Trap House. Even MLiG barely gets anything from its patreon and their videos are exceptionally well done for a show with just two guys.

edit

Either way, as someone that will never bother to follow threads on atariage, nintendoage, or whatever forums, Bob's weekly videos were an easy way to keep up with weird tech that I probably wouldn't have heard about otherwise and I'm going to miss them.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 6, 2018

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Not sure if this has been posted?

DF Retro video on Powerslave

https://youtu.be/HCsO8O4W4Fw

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
That Polygon article was alright but literally only one Kevtris namedrop is a real shame.
e: I didn't realize how little MLiG were getting on their Patreon. I've never funded anybody before but I think I might throw some money at these guys.
Kevtris doesn't have anything resembling a Patreon does he? I would literally just let money slowly drain out of my bank account if I knew he could more easily do his thing.

Pegnose Pete fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Feb 6, 2018

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Pegnose Pete posted:

Kevtris doesn't have anything resembling a Patreon does he? I would literally just let money slowly drain out of my bank account if I knew he could more easily do his thing.

He has a full time job in cryogenics. Also I imagine Analogue is paying him for this.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Will that SNES NT or whatever its called play games off SD card? If so will it support games that required special chips?

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

He has a full time job in cryogenics. Also I imagine Analogue is paying him for this.

Yeah, my understanding is that he has a pretty solid mainline career in embedded software and hardware, so his issue in getting stuff done is probably more one of time. That considered, I wonder if his work for Analogue has an exclusivity period clause in it, relative to releasing products with the same functionaliy?

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Sir Tonk posted:

I got in on the kickstarter as did a few other thread regulars, we should have some answers on if it's any good pretty soon.

I hope they are good, then I will jump in when they release the atomic purple. I actually kind of wish I could just delay my order and wait for the atomic purple, since my original N64 controllers are snappy as they were in 1998.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

African AIDS cum posted:

Will that SNES NT or whatever its called play games off SD card? If so will it support games that required special chips?
SD card ROM support? Probably not out of the box, but the odds of Kevtris releasing a custom firmware that enables that are decently high.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

dishwasherlove posted:

https://youtu.be/HCsO8O4W4Fw
The accompanying Eurogamer article was posted in the Early FPS thread, but I don't think it or this video were posted in here yet, no.

Powerslave is really drat good. That fusion of Doom with your typical Metroid title isn't one you really see, even nowadays (the Metroid Prime series being the obvious closest analog, but other than that?), and it performs really well for a 3D Saturn title. Naturally, people caught on to that, so the Saturn version is like $100 or so (when I last looked a few years ago, probably more now), so I'm glad I caught on to the buzz relatively early on and picked it up back in 2006. Still, the PS1 version's pretty good too! (...but I don't care for the PC version. At least, what I've tried of it...)

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vhr1o1S1HVA

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Should be seeing some Analogue Super NT reviews today.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

dishwasherlove posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCsO8O4W4Fw

This was really really good, if anyone hasn't watched it yet.

edit

Shadow Hog posted:

Naturally, people caught on to that, so the Saturn version is like $100 or so (when I last looked a few years ago, probably more now), so I'm glad I caught on to the buzz relatively early on and picked it up back in 2006. Still, the PS1 version's pretty good too! (...but I don't care for the PC version. At least, what I've tried of it...)

It isn't too bad, still hovering around $100 on ebay.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Feb 6, 2018

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Elliotw2 posted:

S-Video was never terribly popular out of special applications so it's not surprising that it was the first input to go.

My Panasonic plasma has s video ports in the back AND the front :unsmith:

d0s posted:

I had a 4:3 Sony Wega crt HDTV and 16 bit games didn't look great on it. There was some weird compression looking artifacts around everything if the game had flat graphics (so basically 90% of the snes and nes library). The Wii looked absolutely stunning on it though. It seriously looked like when you use the Dolphin emulator in 1080p

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Feb 6, 2018

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Shadow Hog posted:

Powerslave is really drat good. That fusion of Doom with your typical Metroid title isn't one you really see, even nowadays (the Metroid Prime series being the obvious closest analog, but other than that?), and it performs really well for a 3D Saturn title. Naturally, people caught on to that, so the Saturn version is like $100 or so (when I last looked a few years ago, probably more now), so I'm glad I caught on to the buzz relatively early on and picked it up back in 2006. Still, the PS1 version's pretty good too! (...but I don't care for the PC version. At least, what I've tried of it...)

Yeah, holy poo poo, I didn't buy the hype for this game for an instant, and now I feel like an idiot. Looking at that video, I wish I'd picked it up years ago. I just assumed even with its reputation of being a really good Sega Saturn FPS, it was probably ugly, slow, and controlled like poo poo, but happened to be better than the Doom port or whatever, and was only of interest to people really desperate for a playable console FPS.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Rollersnake posted:

Yeah, holy poo poo, I didn't buy the hype for this game for an instant, and now I feel like an idiot. Looking at that video, I wish I'd picked it up years ago. I just assumed even with its reputation of being a really good Sega Saturn FPS, it was probably ugly, slow, and controlled like poo poo, but happened to be better than the Doom port or whatever, and was only of interest to people really desperate for a playable console FPS.

Honestly, the Doom port is pretty much the only bad one out of all the Saturn FPSes (mostly because the others were all pretty much done by Lobotomy, the people that did Powerslave).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Cloning something like the SNES in an FPGA would mean that SNES games could be output in high-resolution HDMI with no lag.

But console input lag doesn't come from the video output, it comes from the display unit itself (LCD/LED/Plasma/etc vs CRT)? It makes no difference how the signal is transmitted if your HDTV has a slow response time, it's going to be laggy on composite, it's going to be laggy on HDMI. This is why a lot of people prefer to play retro games on a CRT, the nature of the unit is almost entirely latency-free. Either you or I are really confused about how this stuff works.