Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike

Roobanguy posted:

the original game didn't have the card class level system, and basically used what you're familiar with from fft. characters leveled up like normal and the class they were in determined their stat increases. Levi was a level 30 ninja and you decided (mistakenly) that the gunner would be a good class? you now have a level 30 gunner denam.

This had the effect of letting you cover a class's weaknesses by spending time in other classes. Want a Terror Knight that never misses with his fuckoff axe? Be a Ninja for a few levels and you'll find you don't miss and are also harder to hit! You could do some fun stuff class hopping like that.

Granted you can sort of do that with the SP skills but I feel less satisfied for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Roobanguy posted:

the original game didn't have the card class level system, and basically used what you're familiar with from fft. characters leveled up like normal and the class they were in determined their stat increases. Levi was a level 30 ninja and you decided (mistakenly) that the gunner would be a good class? you now have a level 30 gunner denam.

Alkarl posted:

This had the effect of letting you cover a class's weaknesses by spending time in other classes. Want a Terror Knight that never misses with his fuckoff axe? Be a Ninja for a few levels and you'll find you don't miss and are also harder to hit! You could do some fun stuff class hopping like that.

Granted you can sort of do that with the SP skills but I feel less satisfied for some reason.

Or you could the smart thing that people who aren't familiar with things like "growth rates" and change your longtime Wizard into a Terror Knight and watch the unit suck at existing in this world.

The original, if I am not mistaken, was much more harsh when it came to some of the battle mechanics (in addition to stats). I think terrain affected the impact of attacks and skills more sharply. Additionally, considering in the original, each solider has an assigned element (fire/red, wind/yellow, water/blue, earth/green), certain terrain affects units' attack, defense, and evade rates differently than others.

I mean, look at this BMG:

https://www.gamefaqs.com/snes/588770-tactics-ogre-let-us-cling-together/faqs/32399

code:
Alignment:  Every character in the game is either Law, Neutral, or Chaos
aligned.  This does not change, except for a few story characters based on
certain story events.  Alignment's main effect is to determine which classes
the character can change to.  It also has other miscellaneous effects.  L
characters perform better in good weather, while C characters excel in bad
weather.  L characters have extra resistance to Virtue attacks and weakness to
Bane attacks, and vice versa.  L characters are also twice as susceptible to
fear as N characters, while C characters are immune to fear.  Lastly, L
characters get a significant bonus to their Virtue elemental healing spells,
while C characters get a significant penalty.

Element:  Every character in the game has affinity toward one of four
elements:  Wind, Fire, Earth, and Water.  Element affects the bonuses given by
the different kinds of terrain in the game.  Also, Wind and Water characters
perform better in stormy weather, while Fire and Earth characters perform
better in clear weather.  Characters have extra resistance to their own
element, and a weakness to the opposing element (Fire and water oppose, while
Wind and Earth oppose).  Element is also an important consideration when
choosing what weapons and spells to equip.  A character gets a substantial
attack modifier bonus (+10) to both damage and hit rate if he equips a weapon
or attack spell of his own element, and he gets a substantial penalty from
equipping a spell or weapon of the opposite element.  It is possible using
GameShark to make a character non-elemental, but this does not confer any real
advantages.

Prowler fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 26, 2018

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

RareAcumen posted:

I'm not too familiar with these games but all I can point to with confidence is that FFT wins when it comes to classes, since you just need skills from one to get to the next, unlike having to do weird poo poo to get a Fusilier and then train up to level 15 before they're allowed to do anything cool.

Funnily enough, if they had kept the super lethal gameplay of the original, the current system would have been a godsend. Losing the characters in the original was super painful and probably would result in save scumming. The new system would have allowed you to lose and gain soldiers at similar levels at zero cost (minus a few extra stat points maybe and some skills). Then you could use your generics to shield the characters you couldn't replace (like Bird-Man).

And despite it's awkwardness, it usually doesn't take long for a class to catch up so that it's useful. The game does scaling exp for different classes, so lower level classes get FAR more levels per fight.

Prowler posted:

Or you could the smart thing that people who aren't familiar with things like "growth rates" and change your longtime Wizard into a Terror Knight and watch the unit suck at existing in this world.

Wouldn't it be kinda obvious that changing a long-time caster into a fighter type would promote serious issues? The game would prevent you from doing that anyways due to stat-requirements needed for Terror Knight. If a character can qualify for Terror Knight (not an easy thing to do in the original) they will be good at it.

And the elemental stuff always made sense to me too. You're fire type? You take less damage from fire, are better at fire magic, and take more damage from water. Sure that simplifies it a little bit (and doesn't even touch the terrain bit, but that's not a common thing), but it makes sense. The alignment healing bit also makes sense when you look at the classes themselves, and almost seems kinda pointless since the healing classes can only be L/N or L.

Though I'll admit the alignment weather thing is a bit out there.

mauman fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 27, 2018

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

oops. double post.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Bette than things like Knight of Lodis where certain classes like beast master/dragoon are determined by if you've not killed / killed enough beast units.

Also better than spending hours having your dudes throw rocks at each other for hours.

I do enjoy the new group class system more than the old system. I just hate that you have to plan from the second you start a new game to take the most advantage of that system.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

waah posted:

Bette than things like Knight of Lodis where certain classes like beast master/dragoon are determined by if you've not killed / killed enough beast units.

Also better than spending hours having your dudes throw rocks at each other for hours.

I do enjoy the new group class system more than the old system. I just hate that you have to plan from the second you start a new game to take the most advantage of that system.

The original had that in spades.

Want a terror knight? Better be chaotic AND have 30 kills to your name.
Want a priest or cleric? Better not have more than 5 kills to your name.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

the class level system would just be straight up superior to the unit level system if new classes started at like 3/4 the level of your highest leveled class.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Based on quick search, though I'm not sure it is true:

In the remake, characters gain .1 points per stat as they level a class--so, ten levels nets a character a full attribute point.

The life of a powerleveller sounds miserable.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Prowler posted:

In the remake, characters gain .1 points per stat as they level a class--so, ten levels nets a character a full attribute point.

Really it's only levels say 1-25 that matter since its so quick to level through those. Especially when you do random battles with your whole party controlled by the AI.

20ish levels of common unpowered classes for large number of recruits like swordsman, beast master, knight, and warrior can be done for a batch of 10-12 characters over an afternoon of watching Netflix. A stat gain of +8 to all stats in this game is nothing to sneeze at.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Prowler posted:

Eh...it's great for killing time at work.

Somebody save me

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Episode 69 - Nice

Nice

-----------//-----------

Nice

[an extremely easy fight with no loot of value]

-----------//-----------

Nice

[Another easy fight, this time introducing level 2 Gryphons.]

-----------//-----------

Nice

[a few archers, a few Hippogryphs, nothing too hard.]

-----------//-----------

Nice!!

[This one wasn't too hard either, stick rampart aura users on both sides of the centre of the map, and have your ranged pick them off. ]

-----------//-----------

nICE

[a more irritating map, 2 Dragons on the right, 3 Hippogryphs on the left with height advantage and with no way to block the Hippos they're going to drop right over and into the middle of your battle party.

Bring at least one Dragoon]

N O I C E

[One of those rear end in a top hat Vartans drops the Sword Enchiridion, but in what is becoming a running theme, I forgot to get it and am also lazy. It's a Knight at coordinates 03,16,12]

-----------//-----------

NICE

[This is a real easy fight, and there's very little to actually share with you - old mate flew down next to Jeunan and Ozma who had enough TP to go all Beastslayer and he died in two hits. ]

Nice

N O I C E

[Yeah, that was really it. the whole fight. The easiest one of these that I've had yet.]

-----------//-----------

Nice nice nice nice, nice nice nice nice

[The only other thing of note here is a level 43 Fist Weapon, that drops from a Level 33+ version of that boss, so maybe come back once to get the weapon to drop and to get the level 2 version of the Grimoire]

code:
    Lv.43 - Unique
    Weight 16 RT +47
    Damage: Crushing 12
    Affinity: Air 15
    ATK 157 STR +4, VIT +2, DEX +3, HP +9, AVD +3, INT +2, RES +5 

Bonus

On Hit: Air Averse
    Extra: Augment Air +1, Sleepproof
    Special: Sylphide II 
code:
Aeroflux:	Air, it trembles ere it breaks... Hear ye the screaming of the sky!

[on the next episode we have one final temple - the fire temple and then we're going to finish the game]

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I'm so sorry

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
:69snypa:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

tithin posted:

I'm so sorry

Y'drat well should be; how the hell did the naice number only show up in the update's header :v:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

dont be mean to me posted:

Y'drat well should be; how the hell did the naice number only show up in the update's header :v:

Our dudes just don't hit in that range no more :(

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Vainateya's talons are spooooo good.

Of course by the time you get to when you can use them, most of the unique weapons are great and you probably didn't spend time working on fists.

The main selling point is that using these fists as an item causes them to cast the level 2 version of the Air summon spell. I use them with my Denam because I am a special snowflake and becauae his INT stat is pretty high from min/maxing classes.

So when he uses the talons for their free Slyphide II, in most cases you are looking at a minimum of 4 hits at about 120 HP a hit. IIRC level 2 summon spells can hit a max of 7 times, so you are one shotting almost any enemy of your choice the first turn you are in range.

They are so :swoon:

There is a dark downside to them though as I found out. Minor vague spoilers Certain late game maps cause a game over if you lose a certain story character. This map also has doppelganger. Guess what doppelganger Denam equipped with Vainateya's talons does to that poor story character :ohdear: or half your party to be honest?

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

waah posted:

There is a dark downside to them though as I found out. Minor vague spoilers Certain late game maps cause a game over if you lose a certain story character. This map also has doppelganger. Guess what doppelganger Denam equipped with Vainateya's talons does to that poor story character :ohdear: or half your party to be honest?

I love that fight :smug:

Also, yeah the talons are very....nice.

Put em on a dual wielding lord with a Malitza's Staff in the other hand (for mp) or wand of air (for the damage boost) and you have a pretty reliable spell caster build going. You'll need to use items though if you use the wand of air as Lord has no access to meditate.

mauman fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 31, 2018

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's weird how the other elements have immediately associated monsters and Earth is just... have all the undead I guess? And I guess some golems.

For being the place where people spend the vast majority of their time, people don't get too creative about Earth.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Guidebook arrived today!

It's very very pretty.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Glazius posted:

It's weird how the other elements have immediately associated monsters and Earth is just... have all the undead I guess? And I guess some golems.

For being the place where people spend the vast majority of their time, people don't get too creative about Earth.

Well...I've seen a few games use the connection before.

Traditionally earth has always been associated with the undead in media, like with vampires for instance and how they need the soil of their homelands and stuff. Or the dead rising from the ground (etc...).

Also, undead are often associated with blighted earth places like swamps, which is why earth is also associated with poison usually.

So there is a precedent I suppose.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
"Zombies get raised out of the ground" always seemed pretty intuitive to me.

ETA: Fittingly, I thought this was Mega64's FF4 romhack thread. :v:

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Feb 2, 2018

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Mines is better :colbert:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I just mean that I thought that the "earth/zombie" connection stuff must have been about Scarmiglione.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Here, read about some Ogre Battle 64 while we are slow

https://lparchive.org/Ogre-Battle-64/

I would love for a Knight of Lodis L.P. to be done, but it's not gonna be by me. Maybe if this was 10 years ago

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

waah posted:

I would love for a Knight of Lodis L.P. to be done, but it's not gonna be by me. Maybe if this was 10 years ago

Knight of Lodis is cursed. There's been a few attempts at it, but none got very far.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Knight of Lodis is cursed. There's been a few attempts at it, but none got very far.

Part of the reason is that on the original GBA hardware it's soooo slow.

I really liked KoL though. I liked It's themes, I liked the characters, I liked the battle system. It's no LUCT but most games aren't.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

GunnerJ posted:

I just mean that I thought that the "earth/zombie" connection stuff must have been about Scarmiglione.

I'm just taking the piss, don't worry!

waah posted:

Here, read about some Ogre Battle 64 while we are slow

I'll show you slow in a minute.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Episode 70 - Junk on Fire

A bunch of Orcs and a knight. The orcs have some archers in their group.

-----------//-----------

As expected of the servants of the fire god, Lava is everywhere.

So are Cyclops, and Cyclops V2.0 - Spriggans.

They have... kinda mediocre casting skills, but it's enough to do some damage, especially if you have lowbie characters kicking around.

-----------//-----------

These maps are at least a little refreshing. They've got a lot of monsters, and a good variation of classes in there.

This map is easy ish, you just head north to the bridge connecting East to West and clear up. The enemy has the high ground, sure, and they're going to pound you with missiles, but they also don't hit that hard.

-----------//-----------

this map layout is irritating.

There's only one way to go, most of the map is lava, and getting across to the enemy is dependant on hopping across a bunch of small islands.

-----------//-----------

This map is even more irritating for a different reason

A cursory annoyance to our east and west

With the main force dead ahead, split into two groups.

Worth noting that the loot guide I'm following says that the Fusil Enchiridion is in this fight, held by a Fusilier and there is no Fusilier in this fight at all, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

-----------//-----------

The Last Guardian!

Ifrit: A Creature of fire and a powerful elemental. Ifrit once wreaked havoc among the villages and towns of man, until Xoshonell, Goddess of Fire, caught him and trapped him within an urn. After many centuries, Ifrit repented, and now serves as Xoshonell's temple guardian.

Map layout is very straightforward. One narrow area in the centre, two flanks.

The enemy composition is a couple of Cyclops, and a shitload of Patriarchs.

These patriarchs are also high enough level to have nullify (See: Ninja's Decoy). They're also all using thrown weapons.

Ifrit himself is ... not strong. He has an incredible tanky resistance to archers (almost 500 ranged defense score) but the rest of his stats are shithouse.

The map can be easily done by sticking one tanky character on the south flank, one on the north flank, two in the centre, and funnelling ALL of your ranged into the centre behind your tanks this way they can hit everywhere on the map.

The map's also small, further cementing our advantage.

So naturally after giving you that advice, I don't follow it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm letting the patriarchs funnel their way into the centre and just picking them off.

This fucker's using an ice blade and I can't have it :mad:

See what I mean about his sky high ranged defense?

This one also applies "Spoilheal" to whoever gets hit by it, doing ~20-25% less healing to whoever has the debuff.

Spiral Scourge is the spear level 6 finishing move, it hits hard twice.

Empyreal Shot is the last Bow finishing move - it deals crushing lightning damage.

It's usually enough to destroy anyone hit by it from full health.

Just cleaning up what's reasnable for us to kill this fight, rather than go for a scourge.

Dancing sprite's the level 8 hammer finishing move, crushing lightning damage to multiple targets.

Scatter Shot's the fusil level 6 finisher, it's basically a long range double tap.

loving finally

We can now go back any time we want, to any of the temples.

-----------//-----------

Old mate ifrit's got a couple of drops that'll probably see me coming back, being the Shield of the Flames, and Fire Gauntlets

code:
Shield of the Flames
WEIGHT 07    RT   +20 | Augment Fire +1     | Slashing  5
                      |                     | Piercing  7
DAMAGE:    Crushing 7 | ON HIT              |
AFFINITY:     Fire 10 | Knockback           | Air   --  Earth --  Lightning --
RACIAL:           --- |                     | Water --  Fire  30  Ice       --
                      | DEBUFF RESIST       | Light --  Dark  --
ATK  051    STR   --- | ---                 |
DEF  030    VIT   002 |                     | Human  --  Beast   --  Reptile --
            DEX   002 | EFFECT              | Dragon --  Divine  --  Umbra   --
HP   ---    AGIL  --- | Pyroguard           | Faerie --  Phantom --  Golem   --
MP   005    AVD   005 |                     |
            INT   --- |                     |
LUCK ---    MIND  --- |                     |
            RES   006 |                     |
Ranger            Paladin        Vartan         White Knight    Buccaneer
Knight Commander  Hoplite        Juggernaut
It's naturally got a strong boost against fire damage, it boosts fire damage, gives a nice bump to a lot of stats.

code:
Fire Gauntlets
WEIGHT 06             | Augment Fire +1     | Slashing --
                      |                     | Piercing  6
DAMAGE:           --- | ON HIT              |
AFFINITY:         --- | ---                 | Air   --  Earth --  Lightning --
RACIAL:           --- |                     | Water --  Fire  30  Ice       --
                      | DEBUFF RESIST       | Light --  Dark  --
ATK  ---    STR   --- | Slowproof           |
DEF  041    VIT   002 |                     | Human  --  Beast   --  Reptile --
            DEX   --- | EFFECT              | Dragon --  Divine   4  Umbra   --
HP   ---    AGIL  --- | Pyroclastic Flow    | Faerie --  Phantom --  Golem    1
MP   005    AVD   --- |                     |
            INT   002 |                     |
            RES   006 |                     |
White Knight   Buccaneer        Knight Commander  Hoplite         Juggernaut
The Gauntlets render you immune to Slow, give's a buff to fire resistance, and extra damage to Divine creatures (albeit, only 4% so...)

Next up:

Endgame.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So can you come back just for a boss refight or do you have to clear the whole temple first every time?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

From memory you have to reclear

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Glazius posted:

So can you come back just for a boss refight or do you have to clear the whole temple first every time?

Every time you leave a multi-fight dungeon it resets.

Some of them develop shortcuts you can use on subsequent playthroughs, but the temples are not those. So yeah, if you leave the temple or want to redo a temple you have to do it from scratch.

And once you clear a fight in said dungeon you can't redo it till you reset the dungeon. So one boss fight at a time :downs:

edit - though on repeat visits you CAN go straight for the boss and kill it without finishing the fight, allowing you to chariot till you get what you want and then retreat. So in a way you can do the bosses more than once on a re-do.

mauman fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 5, 2018

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

There'll be a minor delay on the next update, purely because I forgot to save after finshing the fire temple

I did however find the Fusilier I mentioned that didn't spawn my second time through:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Remember when I said there'd be a delay?

I lied

Episode 71 - Endgame, Part one - Ascending The Hanging Gardens

You know poo poo's getting real when you see this.

So, The Hanging Gardens. Big place. From both a lore perspective and from a dungeon perspective.

You see, this is a 20 floor dungeon, which isn't as rough as it sounds, you see, there's a lot of shortcuts in this dungeon, assuming you can find them.

So the way this dungeon's going to work is that I'll show you where the secret exit is for every floor except the first one, but I'm going to show you the LONG way around which is what everyone's going to see their first time here.

All of these fights excepting the first, and last, are story-less, so will be covered how they were as in other dungeons.

-----------//-----------

Floor 1 - Foot of the Gardens
"King Dorgalua had these Hanging Gardens Built as a gesture of affection towards his queen, Vernotta."

A tricksy map, unless you've got a Vartan archer who can, I dunno, climb up a cliff and shoot arrows.

Dunno where I'd get one of those.

There are hidden exits on this floor, to Floor 3 (5,12,12), and Floor 6 (19,9,8).

The default exit is to the 2nd floor.

-----------//-----------

Floor 2 - The Serpent's Spine
"The Sluice gates to the Hanging Gardens. Excess water was released here to control water levels in the gardens. Parts were build to work in aeternum."

A few enemies at the end of a long bridge.

Don't do this

Do this.

No secret exits on the floor. Defaults to the 4th Floor.

-----------//-----------

Floor 4 - Echoes of Her Passage
"A statue of a goddess molded in pure silver once rested on this floor. It was stolen during the war."

Secret exit here (3,12,15).

Default exits to floor 7, the secret door exits to floor 8.

-----------//-----------

Ozma gets a Lombardia equip because we finally have a frontline capable of wielding it.

Lombardia's a neat sword. It's very strong.

It boosts both Swords, and has a chance to debuff Air Averse on whoever it hits, meaning she's going to do more damage if it procs given it's inherently air elemental'd.

-----------//-----------

Floor 7 - Songs of Raven Hair
"Black-haired entertainers from faraway lands once played and sang from morning till night. "

Nothing secret here.

Default exits to Floor 9.

-----------//-----------

Floor 9 - Hold High Your Cups
"Here, during times of peace, the King would share wine with the Knights who had fought for his throne."

Two secret exits on this floor.

You might think, hey, this is clearly one of them, no, this is the default exit which leads to Floor 10.

This is the second one and leads to Floor 11.

And here's the Floor 12 secret exit.

gently caress you, designers.

-----------//-----------

Floor 10 - Halcyon Days
"One of the King's favourite parts of the gardens.
How charming, the swirling flower petals, how delicious the fruit, and how beautiful the maidens."

Every fight up until now has been smaller, with a small roster of maaaaaaaaybe 6-7. This is going to start increasing from now on.

No secret exits on this floor.

We by default exit to Floor 13.

-----------//-----------

Floor 13 - Sounding of the Hours.
"Following the death of the Prince, the King sat long hours here before illness took him. "

The tale of the hanging gardens is one of tragedy.

Constructed as a monument to his wife, it proved instrumental to the death of the crown prince, and his own eventual downfall.

Hidden exit takes you to the 16th floor.

Default exit on the other side of the same pillar, takes you to the 15th.

One of the Enemies here has a chance to drop a Unique bow, coords 06,10,19.

code:
Bows (2H)       Lv.24 |                     |
                      |                     |
RANGE  04-07 AREA  01 | SKILL BONUS         |
WEIGHT 11    RT   +34 | ---                 |
                      |                     |
DAMAGE:   Piercing 12 | ON HIT              |
AFFINITY:         --- | ---                 |
RACIAL:           --- |                     |
                      | DEBUFF RESIST       |
ATK  092    STR   003 | ---                 |
DEF  ---    VIT   --- |                     |
            DEX   002 | EFFECT              |
HP   ---    AGIL  001 | ---                 |
MP   ---    AVD   --- |                     |
            RES   --- |                     |
-----------//-----------

Floor 15 - Sharp and Cold the Stars.
"After the Prince's death, the Queen spent much of her time here, gazing at the stars."

And we all know the story from here. With the death of Catiua's half brother the Crown Prince, the loss of the King through apparent melancholy / depression, the nation fractured into warring tribes - leading to the rise of the Regent Brantyn.

No secret exit, default exits to Floor 17.

-----------//-----------

Floor 17 - Ivory Stair.
"A passageway to the uppermost level. Here the Prince ascended to the next world, led by a heavenly host.

A vaguely tricky map, where we're fighting our way uphill against a numerically superior foe.

No secret exits, we exit to Floor 18, the final map of Part 1 of the Dungeon.

-----------//-----------

Floor 18 - Twixt Heaven and Earth.
"The uppermost level of the Hanging Gardens. A flame burned here for 100 days in an offering that the Prince's soul might find rest after his death. "

Martym, the prick.

: Easy, Martym. Go to Barbas. Leave this one to me.

: Feh!

: Fortunate for you, boy!

-----------//-----------

: You know as well as I what lies hidden in these gardens!

: A miracle is before me, and I will not pass up my chance to claim it!

: Clinging to miracles is ever a sign of weakness - I have seen what good can come from perseverance and adherence to principle.

: Give up your miracle and stand on your own feet, Andoras!

: Ha! Green as a spring morn! I cannot understand how someone of your quality ever made it into the order.

-----------//-----------

: Maybe so, maybe so! In fact, perhaps it was the duke's idea.

: Men such as he have use of heroes.

: I'm sure you understand.... The title served you well following the Duke's passing, after all.

: I mislike your reasoning. I do not do this for power!

: Yet here you are, a man of power!

: As a hero, you led your army, and now you must fulfill their wishes and place Catiua upon the throne! Or you would become the next Dynast-King.

-----------//-----------

Extremely tight chokepoint here, as befits the pinnacle of the Gardens.

Simply build up around the chokepoint, punish the enemy as they approach, and then push out into the remaining enemies who'll be too weak to stand against you.

The enemies are tough, but squishy. They hit hard, but they can't really take hits either.

Andoras isn't tough anymore. He doesn't hit hard with his spells, and he keeps his distance from your frontliners.

We're almost done here.

Judgement's the light-equivalent of Cragfall. A giant beam of light sears from the sky.

-----------//-----------

-----------//-----------

: Ok rear end in a top hat, when you put it like that...

Motherfucker, we got led entirely in the wrong direction. We went up instead of down.

I'm sure we'll be seeing a "Lodis invades Valeria" sequel any day now

:smith:

Vale Andoras.

Andoras, unsurprisingly has some loot if you WORLD back here at level 33+ - a 2 handed pair of thunder fists.

They're pretty chunky, in attack, in giving a bonus to augment lightning, lightning averse on hit, immune to slow, and it can be used as an item for Thunder Breath, like a Dragon.

It also has a Racial affinity against Dragons.

code:
                      |                     |
RANGE   01   AREA  01 | SKILL BONUS         |
WEIGHT  15   RT   +46 | Augment Lightning +1|
                      |                     |
DAMAGE:   Piercing 11 | ON HIT              |
AFFINITY:Lightning 15 | Lightning Averse    |
RACIAL:     Dragon 20 |                     |
                      | DEBUFF RESIST       |
ATK  149    STR   003 | Slowproof           |
DEF  ---    VIT   001 |                     |
            DEX   --- | EFFECT              |
HP   012    AGIL  002 | Thunder Breath      |
MP   ---    AVD   --- |                     |
            RES   --- |                     |

-----------//-----------

The location details for each floor marks the sad tale of the accidental death of the Prince, and the subsequent mental deterioration of the King.

While I've included the appropriate quotes for each floor, we didn't see every floor in this playthrough, so instead I'm going to list them all here, in order.

Floor 1 - Foot of the Gardens
King Dorgalua had these Hanging Gardens built as a gesture of affection towards his queen, Vernotta.

Floor 2 - The Serpent's Spine
The Sluice gates to the Hanging Gardens. Excess water was released here to control water levels in the gardens. Parts were built to work in aeternum.

Floor 3 - His Fist Upraised
A statue of a god molded in pure gold once rested on the floor. It was stolen during the war.

Floor 4 - Echoes of Her Passage
A statue of a goddess molded in pure silver once rested on this floor. It was stolen during the war.

Floor 5 - Tears of Topaz
According to rumor, the waterway here was once lined with topaz stones.

Floor 6 - The Verdant Stair
A steep stair facing North, thought to be for emergency use during an attack.

Floor 7 - Songs of Raven Hair
Black-haired entertainers from faraway lands once played and sang from morning till night.

Floor 8 - Enraptured Dreams
A playroom designed by King Dorgalua himself for his son, born when Dorgalua was already well-on in years.

Floor 9 - Hold High Your Cups
Here, during times of peace, the King would share wine with the Knights who had fought for his throne.

Floor 10 - Halcyon Days
One of the King's favourite parts of the gardens. How charming the swirling flower petals, how delicious the fruit, and how beautiful the maidens.

Floor 11 - The Beast Has Fangs
The Hippogryph that served as the King's steed in war was stabled here

Floor 12 - Vermillion Stair
This Corridor was used as a landing for shipments of food and other provisions to the gardens.

Floor 13 - Sounding of the Hours
Following the death of the Prince, the King sat long hours here before illness took him.

Floor 14 - Faith and Devotion
Thinking that the Prince's death had been his own doing, the King offered himself to the Gods, hoping to do penance.

Floor 15 - Sharp and Cold the Stars
After the Prince's death, the Queen spent much of her time here, gazing at the stars.

Floor 16 - Ebon Stair
This passageway used to lead to the uppermost level, but was closed when the Prince fell from here to his death.

Floor 17 - Ivory Stair
A passageway to the uppermost level. Here the Prince ascended to the next world, led by a heavenly host.

Floor 18 - Twixt Heaven and Earth
The uppermost level of the Hanging Gardens. A flame burned here for 100 days in an offering that the Prince's soul might find rest after his death.

-----------//-----------

The tale of the king, is not yet complete, we still have a few map info segments to go, in the next update...

We descend into the tomb of King Dorgalua, and whatever it seals.

tithin fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Feb 6, 2018

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Martym really shouldn't be acting like he's with Lodis anymore after stabbing his commander in the back. And there was a little bit of discussion ages ago about how Andoras looked in the SFC/PSOne original compared to this one, and I didn't post the one screenshot I was able to find because it was kinda spoilery. Well here you are. The only black guy in the game.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

No, it makes sense.

There's basically two factions overall in Lodis.

The first is the religious faction, led by the High Priest Sardian. This faction is obsessed with spreading Lodisism, and is willing to accumulate power through the seizure of divine relics to achieve this. Tartaros appears to sincerely believe in this faction.

The second could be called the materialist faction. They were crushed by Sardian's faction, which had popular support, because the materialist faction was composed of rich fellows in the Lodissian Senate chasing money.

Martym could be faking being part of faction 1, but was actually faction 2.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 6, 2018

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Is that related to the Haborym/Balzepho backstory? Because the gist I took from that was that Sardian has a zero tolerance policy for dissenters. Evil empire and all that, I think anyone who wasn't with him or who pulled a stunt like that on Tartaros, one of the people who helped him usurp power in the first place, would be viewed as a threat to be removed.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Shitenshi posted:

Is that related to the Haborym/Balzepho backstory? Because the gist I took from that was that Sardian has a zero tolerance policy for dissenters. Evil empire and all that, I think anyone who wasn't with him or who pulled a stunt like that on Tartaros, one of the people who helped him usurp power in the first place, would be viewed as a threat to be removed.

The context was that originally Sardian had limited political power, until he somehow rallied general public sentiment against the Lodissian Senate. Look at what Balzephon says, that the Senate ignores the High Priest while listening to anyone with money. That does not sound like someone who wielded almost dictatorial powers at the time.

Balzephon's dad said it himself, he installed Bal into the Dark Knights in order to spy on Sardian, only to have that completely backfire. The takeaway is supposed to be is that Bal got convinced that Sardian was right, either by Sardian himself or by Tataros.

There's a reason Tataros basically tells Paladin Lans that the public is full of sheep - he has first-hand experience because of what happened in Lodis to give Sardian power.

Tartaros completely believes in Sardian, which you can see when Barbas was all "gently caress the high priest" in private and Tartaros all but threatened to have him executed. When Barbas tries to get him to say that he wants favor with the Senate, Tartaros just changes the subject.

Combine this with what Balzephon said to his father, plus the fact that he was tied up with Tataros, and it becomes clear that Barbas and Martym are acting this way in order to curry favor with the Senate in order to increase his personal standing (in other words, Barbas was projecting). Meanwhile, Tartaros and Balzephon are true believers.

That is how Martym can act like he's still with Lodis - he technically is, just with a certain part of it.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 6, 2018

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Sardian might still have to deal with bureaucratic bullshit, but I was under the impression that at the end of the day, it was his way or the highway. He did manage to purge the original senate after all and even if his current toadies manage to grow discontent, I think they're easier to manage than the previous one. I don't think three upstart commanders who flaunted protocol, one who was slated for execution for attacking his original commander to begin with and only managed to survive because Tartaros saved him at the last minute and another who apparently wants to use Dorgalua's treasure to start taking heads for his people, coming back expecting to be lauded as heroes on the pretense they completed a mission their superiors couldn't, all the while ignoring that they conspired with a foreign power and drove them out to begin with, would be welcomed with open arms. I think more likely than not, that they would disappear and nobody would care.

I'm pretty sure Ozma's connections and bringing back a "traitor" who survived despite all rumor of the contrary and can testify to the corruption of the current status quo is why she expects to actually mount a successful revolution against Sardian. That's not something you can sweep under the rug just like that.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I'd give my right nut for an actual sequel to this, just to find out what impact the events in Zenobia will have in Lodis

I can only buy this game so many times to let Squeenix know that there's interest in it :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Tallgeese posted:

The first is the religious faction, led by the High Priest Sardian. This faction is obsessed with spreading Lodisism, and is willing to accumulate power through the seizure of divine relics to achieve this. Tartaros appears to sincerely believe in this faction.

While I agree with you that Lans is aligned with Sardian, I don't think he buys the religious bit. I think he just believes that religious tyranny is just an easier way to control society for their own good. He comes off as someone who totally believes in the idea of "Free-will is evil".

That's not even taking knights of Lodis into consideration. If you're willing to take that game into consideration, then the idea of him believing in anything even remotely religious comes off as very odd.

The lesser evil as it were.