Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

How do you play as a stealth archer? Do you, like, install mods from across the room under a blanket or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

drat, I need to give obliv another shot O_O that looks so good.

Do you have images of npcs?

no, dont

docbeard posted:

How do you play as a stealth archer? Do you, like, install mods from across the room under a blanket or something?

Step 1) Stealth
Step 2) Arch

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Cat Mattress posted:

I like how these descriptions are seemingly written to make lore purists go on "what no, actually..." rants.

I don't mean the stealth archer part, that is 100% fact.

According to my research, the khajiit part is 100% factual.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Stealth in these games is a lot more fun when you;

-break compulsive reloading habits and deal with consequences
-stab people in the back rather than shoot them from across the map

But if you just wanna break the game then yeah stealth archery is always the best option.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm not doing even more thief guild quests

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Internet Kraken posted:

Why would anyone ever do this. Quicksave FOR LIFE. Just lol if you aren't Nicolas Cage from Next, living in the perfect timeline

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 6, 2018

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Drythe posted:

I'm not doing even more thief guild quests

The thieves guild has nothing to do with stealth and or archery.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

The thieves guild has nothing to do with stealth and or archery.

They have both a stealth and archery trainer

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Why would anyone ever do this. Quicksave FOR LIFE. Just lol if you aren't Nicolas Cage from Next, living in the perfect timeline

Eh, I used to constantly reload but I enjoy the game more when I actually accept my failures. It means I have to be a lot more careful with how I approach stuff and when I do mess up, dealing with the consequences can be interesting. Like when I failed a pickpocket inside the Jarl's Hall in Riften. Could of just reloaded a quicksave, but because I didn't want to give up my stolen goods I instead fled town with 30 guards chasing me and had to lay low in the wilderness for a day before they gave up.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Internet Kraken posted:

it took me a long time to get over my 1994 X-Com habit of Saving Every Turn.

Then you find out all your guys suck at psi and you win the game on a pile of corpses.

Pre internet gaming was a different time.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Smiling Jack posted:

it took me a long time to get over my 1994 X-Com habit of Saving Every Turn.

Then you find out all your guys suck at psi and you win the game on a pile of corpses.

Pre internet gaming was a different time.

I can't play OG X-COM without self imposed ironman, but for the new one I love savescumming like a bastard. I feel like you're not playing 1994 X-COM if you're not constantly feeling like you're just barely recovering from a tactical disaster of massive proportions.

As for Skyrim, I have the thing installed on an SSD for maximum efficiency savescumming.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Hey, probably a silly question, but: I'm trying to re-play Skyrim again and could use some suggestion for what to pick out of the myriad mods. The mandatory section is a given, as is spider removal (this is the loadout I played with originally) - in addition, I would like to play a mage/vampire so anything that adds some more oomph (since magic is really lackluster) to those skillsets would be nice; I'm also looking for some content expanders or perk/sign reworks provided they don't completely gently caress up game balance, basically anything that makes the game fresher and choices matter.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

And for the record, I did check the OP, but I'm not sure how up to date it is and there's for example multiple magic ehancers in there so I'm looking for some input on what's best for what.

e: Oh, and a good mod for expanding alchemy/cooking.

e: And since the OP seems to have been updated before it hit the shelves - Special Edition or not? Were there compatibility updates for the big mods?
...Like Insects Begone?

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 6, 2018

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I'm playing a new character and Light Armor seems kind of a bad prospect, since all the cool Light Armor has enchantments on it that are not as good as ones I can eventually make myself.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I'm not quite arachnophobic enough to require a spider removal mod, but I'm arachnophobic enough that at the start of every new game I give myself the SPERG lockpicking perk that makes spiders docile. I can deal with shooting them from a distance and stepping over their corpses, but gently caress being attacked by one by surprise.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Wish I could figure out two bugs. One is the game crashing when I try to use the staff enchanter (the normal one in dragonborn dlc the normal way to access it). I have a number of spells and mods but I wouldn't think something like having too many recipes would be causing SE to do a memory choke.

The other is some mod that is tinkering with the vampire disease immunity that is breaking it. I tried hunting down the vampire one in TESVEdit but between magical effects and race records there were a number of paths to look through and I didn't see anything obvious with my limited experience in TESVEdit. I *think* it might be related to some kind of survival fix but I couldn't find anything obvious and I wasn't sure how those were working with Sacrosanct anyhow.

Quick spew of my load order if anyone sees anything suspect.

https://pastebin.com/NJgZcg5k

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

My best guess for the staff enchanter thing is do you have any mods that add actual new staff graphics: My number one cause of crashes in SE was poorly converted mods, especially NIFs and character face data.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

Agents are GO! posted:

My best guess for the staff enchanter thing is do you have any mods that add actual new staff graphics: My number one cause of crashes in SE was poorly converted mods, especially NIFs and character face data.

Ah, I do have a mod to reskin elemental staves, perhaps that's it. I'll have to check the mod page as it seems like that would kind of be a basic conflict the author would have to have addressed somewhere.

TroubledWaters
Aug 9, 2007

Some kind of...
oil trap!

Kiggles posted:

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/3182

It's not exactly ideal, but there you go. Just remember to favorite you're gear.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/14505 for a variety of non-vanilla shields.

Got it, thanks! I guess I'll hold out for these mods to get developed a little more and stick to finishing Fallout 4 for now.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Agents are GO! posted:

The general Elder Scrolls thread as linked in the first paragraph of the OP.

Anyhow, Oblivion can be a bitch to mod, but it can look real purty when you get there:

That looks like vanilla yo. It is a beautiful game if you add some light ENB to smoothen out some edges and change up the faces. I really enjoy Cinematic ENB atm.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

The lighting effects, grass draw distance, and stability added by Oblivion Reloaded are nothing to scoff at. It looks even better in dungeons. I also have RAEVWD installed, and that helps a lot. (I'd like to note that because of Oblivion Reloaded and the Memory Patch offered with Oblivion Stutter Remover, I'm getting a solid 30FPS with those visuals, on my fairly modest hardware.)

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Feb 8, 2018

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Oblivion Reloaded last time I tried modding Oblivion (like a month ago) made the game look really great but some features seemed to make the game super unstable even with minimal (like less than twenty mods, biggest one being Oblivion Character Overhaul) like the equipment stuff which is a shame cause having dual wielding and other stuff would be real cool but it would cause crashes half the time

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I'm running fcom, maskar's, supreme magicka, and realistic leveling basically and my oblivion is the least stable thing I've ever seen. I suspect realistic leveling is a big part of the problem because it mostly crashes when I level up. fcom and maskar's alone is an unholy combination of mods so I guess I can't complain too much. I've had to do a lot of console fuckery to work around things but I'm enjoying it a lot it's been far too long since I've played this game.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

I blame Maskars a hell of a lot more than Oblivion Reloaded for making me give up on trying to mod Oblivion because while there was a sliver of things I really liked about MOO it was also the worst .ini documentation I could imagine and also a billion loving things i needed to manually edit when the way everyone was talking about it i was expecting some omod i could check off what i wanted

like i could could check off what level morag tong assassins came after me (gently caress that poo poo) but there wasnt a clear documented tab (or just in the omod install or whatever) to just turn off this morag tong feature i didnt want

or the mod adding dragons to the game which who asked for that

or this whole dynamic spawning dungeons/villages feature which im sure wont break a ton of poo poo

if anyone has a mod that just makes oblivions leveling scaling system not poo poo without a ton of bells and whistles id be glad to learn of it

i just want to be able to gently caress around and not go to kavatch at level 30 and face like real daedra or run into bandits wearing glass armor

sad thing is MOO has a lot of interesting things but just ended up way too clunky to use for a game like oblivion

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Sacrosanct 5.0 needs to come out sooner

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Berke Negri posted:

Oblivion Reloaded last time I tried modding Oblivion (like a month ago) made the game look really great but some features seemed to make the game super unstable even with minimal (like less than twenty mods, biggest one being Oblivion Character Overhaul) like the equipment stuff which is a shame cause having dual wielding and other stuff would be real cool but it would cause crashes half the time

Yeah, you need to disable Reloadeds Equipment Mode to be compatible with OCO2 (Well, technically with Blockhead, the OBSE plugin that OCO2 requires.)

Seriously though, try it with Oblivion Stutter Removers heap management. I went from a crash ever 30 minutes or so to no crashes. The heap management is off by default, you'll need to turn it on in OSRs ini.

Berke Negri posted:

I blame Maskars a hell of a lot more than Oblivion Reloaded for making me give up on trying to mod Oblivion because while there was a sliver of things I really liked about MOO it was also the worst .ini documentation I could imagine and also a billion loving things i needed to manually edit when the way everyone was talking about it i was expecting some omod i could check off what i wanted

Keep in mind that the modding tools getting better/easier are as a result of things sucking back in the oblivion era. Anybody still making mods for a twelve-year-old game is probably stuck in that era.

And as pain-in-the-rear end Maskar's is, it's miles above trying to set up FCOM (I literally spent eight hours getting that set up the first time I tried it.

Drythe posted:

I honestly thought Enai stopped working on Sacrosanct? Enai is a modder who definitely needs to stop listening to what people want. 100% of Enai's behind-the-scenes drama is because Enai gets neurotic about user feedback.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Enai's last Patreon post has him working on Sacrosanct, and that was a week ago.

I think it's Ordinator that he's killing off, sadly.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Drythe posted:

What's in the new version?

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

The Bee posted:

Enai's last Patreon post has him working on Sacrosanct, and that was a week ago.

What?? Why???

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

The Bee posted:

That would loving suck.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
This is the latest comment of his that I saw about it:

–]EnaiSiaionWinterhold 15 points 7 days ago
Too many perks and too many gimmicks is my own opinion of Ordinator and I'm no longer recommending it. By next summer or so I'm expecting Gray to come out, which is a perk expansion that adds the best Ordinator perks to each tree and nothing else. In the end, gameplay is and should remain a minor part of Skyrim and the focus should be on new experiences such as survival, religion, quests, new items, etc

It sounds like he isn't getting rid of Ordinator, at least, unlike how he basically hid his old Standing Stone mod. However, he seems done updating and reccommending it.

Maybe this'll give us a chance to finally make a stable SPERG-Ordinator patch now that Ordinator isn't changing perks constantly.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

The old standing stone mod is actually just one of the old versions on andromeda btw. If you want aurora just download the one thats v307 on the files tab

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

"Gameplay is a minor part of Skyrim and the focus should be on religion" is a new take I guess

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
"In the end, gameplay is and should remain a minor part of Skyrim"

Since when are new items and focus on religion more important than improved gameplay!?
Not that I mind religion being deeper and more impactful in a world where Gods are actually confirmed real... but that's a weird opinion.

EPIC fat guy vids fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Feb 9, 2018

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Oh, don't get me wrong. The Religion mod that's getting an overhaul is super goddamn cool and I encourage more content like it. But I agree Enai's sudden 180 in opinion is odd.

Naturally, one theory is that he's chasing Bethesda's approval for the Creation Club, but I think its more just burnout from complaints and comments on his content.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

"In the end, gameplay is and should remain a minor part of Skyrim"

Since when are new items and focus on religion more important than improved gameplay!?
Not that I mind religion being deeper and more impactful in a world where Gods are actually confirmed real... but that's a weird opinion.

The Gods are also dead, but that's neither here nor there.

The Bee posted:

Oh, don't get me wrong. The Religion mod that's getting an overhaul is super goddamn cool and I encourage more content like it. But I agree Enai's sudden 180 in opinion is odd.

Naturally, one theory is that he's chasing Bethesda's approval for the Creation Club, but I think its more just burnout from complaints and comments on his content.

As I said, Enai seriously needs to disconnect from the user base. They take all criticism way to loving hard.

Also, that's a bit of modding drama I haven't seen anyone mention: Just how loving salty the modders who didn't make it into the CC are.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

The Bee posted:

I think you might be right.

The modding community is full of entitled fucks - even omitting the very weird ones from the off-brand sites - and there have been more than a few cases of assault/death threats - from both users and modders.

Edit: Also I'm not familiar with that religion mod, sorry if I missed it and it was named earlier, what is it called?

EPIC fat guy vids fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Feb 9, 2018

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Agreed. The guy does some of Skyrim's best content, so it sucks that this causes him to attract huge, unpleasable masses. Still, he's actually putting a proper arena mod into Skyrim now, so he can do whatever he wants as far as I'm concerned. That was honestly the line I missed most from Oblivion, even if it was simple.

Here is the religion mod. Check the dev's pinned comments to see his plans for V2: it actually looks really comprehensive.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Agents are GO! posted:

The Gods are also dead, but that's neither here nor there.
Death doesn't actually mean much in TES. Especially for gods. CHIM, mad godhead, mantling, all that stuff.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Agents are GO! posted:

Also, that's a bit of modding drama I haven't seen anyone mention: Just how loving salty the modders who didn't make it into the CC are.

I keep thinking that I'm not taking enough advantage of my inexplicable status as a real modder who gets to see the real modders' clubhouse forum, but then I realize that I don't really want to read what any of these people have to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That looks very interesting and I'm looking forward to that release very much now.

I agree, some of his mods are mandatory for me now and he seems to really care about the quality of what he releases.