Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

david_a posted:

I’ve only seen the first episode of Altered Carbon, but would anyone else say that the dialog was hard to make out at times? It seemed like there was a lot going on in the audio mix.

I'm having a bit of a hard time understanding Ortega sometimes and I'm no newbie with accents. Might switch to subs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

LadyPictureShow posted:

I must be mixing up the quarantine part with a different alien life movie, because I looked up the Wikipedia summary of it.

And altruistic/helping friends or not, you can still make a bad split-second decision in a panic. Life would have been an even duller film if they went ‘Sorry Hugh! Quarantine protocols and all! Sucks, man.’

I maintain Sho made a dumb move, but I felt like that was panic and that scene where he was looking over the picture of his new baby overriding ‘better worry bout that alien’.

Could someone at least clarify about Hugh apparently letting Calvin feast on him? I assumed he was hosed up from getting attacked and just couldn’t feel him on his legs. Was there some dialogue I don’t remember where he said ‘hey, BTW, got Calvin eating my legs. Have fun!’

Wasn't Hugh literally paraplegic from the very beginning? Hence why his legs are so atrophied to begin with. So in that case he had no way of noticing that his leg was being eaten up.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

That actually brings up soomething I've been curious about. I always keep subtitles on, in case I miss some audio or something. People coming by generally seem to ask for them off.

Who else keeps captions on by default?

except for live tv stuff, comedies, and horror movies, i always have the captions on. Horror can vary, because sometimes they won't caption spoilers like *gunshot* 5 seconds before it happens. the same really applies to comedy because 99% of punchlines are gone.

david_a posted:

I’ve only seen the first episode of Altered Carbon, but would anyone else say that the dialog was hard to make out at times? It seemed like there was a lot going on in the audio mix.

were the non-english language phrases (arabic, spanish, chinese) captioned?

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I usually have them on for sci-fi or some other jargon filled genre. Otherwise a lot of things just go in one ear and out the other. I also turn them on for dramas because it helps me appreciate the writing more.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Altered Carbon has a bunch of it's own sci-fi terms that you have to learn on the fly, and that contributes to the first episode's dialogue feeling difficult to follow at times. "Sleeving" and "spinning up" and whatever that term is for future Catholicism. "Organic damage" and "stacks" and on and on. By episode 4 or 5 you've got the vocabulary down and the show is that much better for it but it's definitely an adjustment.

I was not really feeling it around episode 3 or 4, then I thought it really picked up in episode 5 and 6 and I'm looking forward to finishing it. Hopefully we get a season 2 because whatever flaws there are, this is a great launching point for a very compelling sci-fi world.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Perestroika posted:

Wasn't Hugh literally paraplegic from the very beginning? Hence why his legs are so atrophied to begin with. So in that case he had no way of noticing that his leg was being eaten up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfUzaYV1xfE

Hugh is wearing tight, pants with zippers and straps, and his legs are bound tightly together both above and just below his knees in order to give him better control over his mobility in low gravity and protect him from injuring himself. You can still injure a paralyzed limb, and also, more specifically, being paralyzed in some regions of your body doesn't mean you're not going to notice when you're suffering the effects of massive blood loss.

Calvin could not have gotten into Hugh's suit without being allowed in, and the point of the scene is that Hugh clearly knows that Calvin is there, that he has voluntarily done this at some point where the other characters weren't looking. This is both alluded to through dialog, and expressed specifically through cinematography.

"Life's very existence requires destruction."

"Calvin doesn't hate us."

"But he has to kill us..."

"... in order to survive."

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
My issue with Altered Carbon was that the sound seemed mixed a bit thick so the voices didn’t stand out very much from the background din.

I’m contemplating buying new speakers so I’m kind of sensitive to possible reasons to justify an upgrade right now. I’m leaning toward replacing my two big towers with an even fancier pair and skipping a center speaker again, but stuff like this makes me hesitate a bit. A center seems like it would be pointless given how small the space is, and I would rather use the money on two speakers instead of three.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I went through that myself a decade ago, and with my dad a couple years ago, and we both found a center channel speaker made a huge difference in hearing dialog.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
If you need more sci-fi novel adaptations, the expanse S2 hits prime streaming on Friday. I can’t wait.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Altered Carbon is giving me very strong Stranger Thing vibes, and that's not a good thing for me. It feels like a syrupy paste of visual references slathered over pretty bog standard TV writing and I am just not getting where the rave reviews are coming from. I'm four episodes in and I think I'm gonna finish, but it just seems to waste tons of time every episode on pretty hackneyed pointless dramatic outbursts.

Martman fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 7, 2018

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

it's enjoyable, if not schlocky. Just go in expecting Blade more than Blade Runner despite the genre and it ain't half bad.

Just finished Cloverfield Paradox. Didn't think it was nearly as bad as you guys made it out to be but that last 10 seconds was just embarrassing to watch.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Martman posted:

Altered Carbon is giving me very strong Stranger Thing vibes, and that's not a good thing for me. It feels like a syrupy paste of visual references slathered over pretty bog standard TV writing and I am just not getting where the rave reviews are coming from. I'm four episodes in and I think I'm gonna finish, but it just seems to waste tons of time every episode on pretty hackneyed pointless dramatic outbursts.

i love cyberpunk poo poo and sci fi schlock but i think i agree with you. mainly if they eliminate the ortega subplots then it is much better. im enjoying it enough though.

veni veni veni posted:

it's enjoyable, if not schlocky. Just go in expecting Blade more than Blade Runner despite the genre and it ain't half bad.

yes this is so accurate.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

i love cyberpunk poo poo and sci fi schlock but i think i agree with you. mainly if they eliminate the ortega subplots then it is much better. im enjoying it enough though.

No way. Ortaga was the best part of the series.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Tainen posted:

I watched the first episode and the actress playing Ortega so far is acting like she's on a completely different series, she's real loving bad at acting. She can't play off the others in any of her scenes so far.

I'm hoping this is another Mindhunter thing where the scene between Holden and Debbie in the bar nearly prevented me from watching the series because it was such an atrocity.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Tainen posted:

ortega’s family is so boring and terrible and the actor playing ortega is not good. i can forgive bad acting (im watching altered carbon after all) but she just makes me wanna tune out when she is on screen.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

ortega’s family is so boring and terrible and the actor playing ortega is not good. i can forgive bad acting (im watching altered carbon after all) but she just makes me wanna tune out when she is on screen.

Isn't it only like 5 minutes in one episode? I hated the entire episode devoted to Kovacs back story more than any of the Ortega's stuff.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Huh....
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/netflix-paid-paramount-more-50-million-cloverfield-paradox-1082305

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Tainen posted:

Isn't it only like 5 minutes in one episode?

i wish. episode 4 felt like 75% ortega followed by a violent massacre by kovach.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ortega gets better as the season goes on, but she's definitely really awkward at first. Like it took her a while to be able to rattle off the sci-fi techno babble convincingly but she gradually got better at it.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Babylon Berlin. I'm not sure what's going on exactly, but the second episode is insane and good.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Martman posted:

I'm with you, it's being pretty much praised universally but it could pass for some cheesy CBS Friday night show from six years ago.

It feels like the Blade TV show mixed with the George Clooney Batman movie.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Human Tornada posted:

It feels like the Blade TV show mixed with the George Clooney Batman movie.
I actually got some serious Batman and Robin vibes from the zero gravity fight scene at the rich guy's house but I figured it was just me.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Martman posted:

I actually got some serious Batman and Robin vibes from the zero gravity fight scene at the rich guy's house but I figured it was just me.

I first noticed it during the cage match with the two monster things running around in foam costumes growling and grunting like Bane.

Also the title sequence is a rip-off of Westworld.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Human Tornada posted:

I first noticed it during the cage match with the two monster things running around in foam costumes growling and grunting like Bane.

Also the title sequence is a rip-off of Westworld.

Same company did both main titles, Elastic.

http://elastic.tv

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Oh man, if any of you are lame-os like me and like ‘make-over’ shows, Netflix rebooted Queer Eye with a different set of experts. I know it’s super-campy and not for everyone, but I find the sentiment exceedingly sweet, particularly when they were working with an ultra-Christian father of six.

But redecorating that one house with the ridiculous 70s grandma decor was criminal.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I do think that some of the reviews of Altered Carbon are a bit too overwhelmingly positive. The show has flaws for sure. The acting is inconsistent, it doesn't run with a lot of it's best ideas, and yea too much of it is in the template of like a standard network procedural with sci-fi trappings papered over it.

If you ignore the reviews though, I think it's a very enjoyable first season and I would look forward to another season. There's enough there that I'd be optimistic about the show developing and evolving into something much better than what it is now, it's a world I'm interested in learning more about.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Watched Oklahoma City last night. It's a documentary about the Oklahoma City bombing from 1995 that also goes over events like Ruby Ridge and the Branch-Davidians in Waco and how that influenced Timothy McVeigh and his accomplices. It's very well put together and the story told is pretty frightening because it's based on a lot of things that are still hotly debated and discussed today. I recommend it. It's also incredibly surreal to watch for me personally, because I work very close to where the bomb went off.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Was anybody else watching Casa de Papel and can anyone explain why they renamed it loving Money Heist? :psyduck:

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Quiet Feet posted:

Was anybody else watching Casa de Papel and can anyone explain why they renamed it loving Money Heist? :psyduck:
I'm so tired of all these non-money-related heists... I just want to chill out and watch someone steal some good old fashioned cash once in a while!

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

LadyPictureShow posted:

Oh man, if any of you are lame-os like me and like ‘make-over’ shows, Netflix rebooted Queer Eye with a different set of experts. I know it’s super-campy and not for everyone, but I find the sentiment exceedingly sweet, particularly when they were working with an ultra-Christian father of six.

But redecorating that one house with the ridiculous 70s grandma decor was criminal.

I've started watching it, and it's fantastic. It's been a while since I saw the original, but these new guys are really great, and have a really positive energy. They really work with their makeovers to be the best versions of themselves, and not just doing generic makeovers.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Expanse S2 is up on Prime. Just an episode in, and so far it’s up to the standards of S1 easily.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Always brave for sci fi nior going to a strip club.very fresh

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
In the future it's all eye drugs and strip clubs man.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The recruitment scene in this "Valor" show is hilarious. "Hey, hungover vagrant passed out in the street, you seem like the perfect person to join the Army!"

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Lycus posted:

The recruitment scene in this "Valor" show is hilarious. "Hey, hungover vagrant passed out in the street, you seem like the perfect person to join the Army!"

I mean, soldiers became drunk hobos all the time in America...

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Expanse S2 is up on Prime. Just an episode in, and so far it’s up to the standards of S1 easily.

You're in for a good time. It's great.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Just stay away from the agua!

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Basebf555 posted:

I do think that some of the reviews of Altered Carbon are a bit too overwhelmingly positive. The show has flaws for sure. The acting is inconsistent, it doesn't run with a lot of it's best ideas, and yea too much of it is in the template of like a standard network procedural with sci-fi trappings papered over it.

If you ignore the reviews though, I think it's a very enjoyable first season and I would look forward to another season. There's enough there that I'd be optimistic about the show developing and evolving into something much better than what it is now, it's a world I'm interested in learning more about.

Altered Carbon has great potential for future seasons because each season would probably allow for an almost entirely new cast, location, and time. I thought Kinnamon did a very good job in the role, but the only actors who'd really need to stick around are original Kovacs, original Kovacs' sister, and original Quell, and even then that's only for flashbacks because all those OG sleeves are space trash at this point. I haven't read the books in years, but I recall the culture and power structure shifting rapidly while Kovacs' consciousness was being emailed across the lightyears, leading to a new culture shock every time he was re-sleeved.

You're right that the show has some pretty major flaws and had rote plotting despite the novel setting. I would have liked to see more development of the real estate AI community, for one thing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

gently caress yeah I'm gonna watch that new horror movie now. I don't even remember what it was called but it looked dope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

veni veni veni posted:

gently caress yeah I'm gonna watch that new horror movie now. I don't even remember what it was called but it looked dope.

The Ritual?