Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Right, and changing ways has a bit in it with the Glass Walker perspective of "Vaccines might have banes in them, but they also work, and performing a cleansing ritual on a few kids is worth the time and gently caress any Theurge who says otherwise."

The Pentex handbook is tounge-in-cheek enough that I read that paragraph as "In the real world vaccines work but in the world of darkness they are literally evil because lol."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
The entire Pentex book is propaganda though? Like, Magadon is the monopoly and all but it's pretty explicit that THEIR stuff is evil because, ya know, Pentex. I agree it's clumsy and could be better done but I really didn't get the anti-vaxx angle. Maybe a line like 'and we of course encourage OUR drugs to be the norm because our patented unique formulas have a blahblahblah increased success rate (and totally have banes in em)' to make it more clear Rando Pharma corp probably isn't putting banes in flu shots.

Also yea, Ways has some poo poo in it but they do have the Walkers explicitly saying 'no what that's stupid, we watch the drugs and are ready to fix kids up when they get squirrely but vaccines are objectively good'.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

Well, there are methods that do work on Garou, and the nation is decidedly against them. And apparently all garou subconciously want their children so most of the time they'll frenzy during the abortion proceedings. Also apparently the womb in a pregnant Crinos Garou draws up into their ribcage to better protect the fetus in combat.

Have they... have they heard of the Black Furies or... oh, nevermind.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Dawgstar posted:

Have they... have they heard of the Black Furies or... oh, nevermind.

One of the few things we've heard about W5 so far is that the black furies have apparently abandoned mankind to their own devices until they become sufficiently woke to withstand the feminist truth.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

One of the few things we've heard about W5 so far is that the black furies have apparently abandoned mankind to their own devices until they become sufficiently woke to withstand the feminist truth.

I'm almost morbidly curious if they'll go hard back on the Catholic Church/Patriarch-as-Wyrm spirit/totem/whatever.*

*Thanks, Phil!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kurieg posted:

I'd kinda like a Werewolf with more radical elements in tribes about causes other than the basic fight. Like, the Red Talons make an interesting concept, having a whole tribe around various levels of 'no, gently caress humanity, those idiots are why we're here' is interesting because it gives a foil that can be pretty sympathetic at times while not going into full antagonism. Having a Fury movement around 'nah let's just break off into our own badass amazon island or something' can be cool to play off. It's hard to tell someone who's human cover is protecting abuse victims and all that maybe she needs to give men a chance, her going 'nah, goin to Amazon Island, eat it guys' is kinda justified even if her less radical sisterhood would say 'but that's literally how everything got hosed up to begin with' and have fair reason to do that too.

The problem is instead of making them factions they just made the whole tribes like that and they have probably the worst WW writers working on it (not everyone on the team obvs, more 'a couple lovely apples spoil the bunch') so it just comes off as "UGH FEMINAZIS JUST WANNA LET MEN DIE HUH"

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

sexpig by night posted:

I'd kinda like a Werewolf with more radical elements in tribes about causes other than the basic fight.

That's Forsaken. Choose your enemy, because they're dangerous or you believe they're dangerous. You can fight pollution, polluters, abusers, people with fake IDs, demigods of fire, magic rats.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Forsaken 2E is a good game that's absolutely terrible at presenting itself. If you can get past the conlang bullshit and the organizational issues that seem to plague every nWoD line, it's an even weirder and more original take on its subject matter than Demon is in some ways.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

nofather posted:

That's Forsaken. Choose your enemy, because they're dangerous or you believe they're dangerous. You can fight pollution, polluters, abusers, people with fake IDs, demigods of fire, magic rats.

In fairness, Forsaken also declares that the Red Talons and the Silver Fangs are villain subgroups.

Seriously, the Predator Kings and Ivory Claws are just straight up Red Talon and Silver Fang, sans any apologism. It takes some odd circumstances (fringe group Ivory Claws in Amish country who are significantly less Nazi Eugenics Movement or Outback Predator Kings who legit just do not have to give a poo poo about anything but hunting big monster spirits) for them to be friends.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Forsaken 2E is a good game that's absolutely terrible at presenting itself. If you can get past the conlang bullshit and the organizational issues that seem to plague every nWoD line, it's an even weirder and more original take on its subject matter than Demon is in some ways.

Yes it's a brick wall not everyone can overcome.

But if you want werewolf where you get to choose the fight, there you are.

Mors Rattus posted:

Seriously, the Predator Kings and Ivory Claws are just straight up Red Talon and Silver Fang, sans any apologism. It takes some odd circumstances (fringe group Ivory Claws in Amish country who are significantly less Nazi Eugenics Movement or Outback Predator Kings who legit just do not have to give a poo poo about anything but hunting big monster spirits) for them to be friends.

The Predator Kings just care that you honor the hunt. The Ivory Claws are more likely to have an issue since their whole thing is about honoring their parentage.

nofather fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 7, 2018

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I forget if I asked this ages ago but I haven't read Forsaken 2e:

I remember hearing that there's no longer any punishment for two Forsaken (or werewolves in general) having children together. Doesn't this mean most werewolves would come from established werewolf or wolf-blooded families? You'd kind of be born and raised into the whole deal.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

bewilderment posted:

I remember hearing that there's no longer any punishment for two Forsaken (or werewolves in general) having children together. Doesn't this mean most werewolves would come from established werewolf or wolf-blooded families? You'd kind of be born and raised into the whole deal.

I think the First Change is unpredictable enough that while most werewolves can be from wolf-blooded families, it's not at all guaranteed that your family is werewolves. Though, like, that seems up to the individual table how much they want a pack to be a family (I had a short-lived Woof game where the GM wanted basically all the PCs to be college-age woof kids of woof parents, and that worked well).

EDIT: Also I think 'born and raised' is a great background to have available for woofs, because there's a strong Uratha culture that really stands out in the mechanics and language. Woofs who grow up in that milieu would have a weird and interesting relationship with the human world around them, and take to the spiritual apex predator role maybe too much. My character was a cahalith with the Screaming Moon Gift tree, and she was far too sanguine about violence and Lunacy because she Changed early and got way too used to regeneration and being able to gloss people's minds. She was messing around on the wrong end of the Harmony scale from human, and I was looking forward to her naive sense of woof superiority getting her in deep trouble.

Joe Slowboat fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 7, 2018

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

bewilderment posted:

From what I remember the 'wolf gene' is still a crapshoot so while obviously you'd expect two wolves to have better odds you still get lots of 'yea poo poo guess his great grandpa was a wolf and the gene just was dormant a couple generations' cases.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

our current game is all cousins of the Simmons family: Sofie, Sasha, Skye, and Sonny (plus his daugher Savannah).

A guy named Keith is there too

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

bewilderment posted:

It's possible to be turned into a wolf-blooded accidentally or by hosed up whim of Luna. Hell, technically it's possible to intentionally be turned into a wolf-blooded if someone knew enough about the occult bullshit behind it [AKA the rules]. And as always it's possible for that spark of blood to give birth to a full on werewolf down the line. At this point it basically means anyone could turn into a werewolf, and all a detailed lineage gives you is the smallest tick of the meter more possibility. So while it's not meaningless, lineage isn't the be all and end all of woof woof generation. At the very least all wolf-blooded tend to have some occult ability beyond the normal though, so that's not nothing.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I maintain that WtA Garou being anti-vacc makes sense and could even be a great plot point for bringing back the edgy 1st Edition nonsense. It just has to follow this format to not be hugely offensive:
1. Too many people. This is Bad.
2. Disease controls populations.
3. Vaccines stop disease.
4. Vaccines thus mean too many people.
5. Thus, vaccines are Bad.

Then balance it against the horrifying ways to die that disease actually represents, and the bane growth that creates, so you can have the nicely solid 'Garou are terrible monsters who directly and indirectly are causing themselves to lose the war' and a serious factional schism over the issue between the tribes with an actual clue of how to win the war (Furies, Gnawers, etc) and those that are loving morons. Properly handled I reckon you could do that while still coming down firmly on the pro-vaccine side (which is where I sit. I'm that guy reliant on herd immunity! Get vaccinated so I don't die, assholes!) but it needs to refrain from pulling punches about the legitimate horror show that disease returning as a major cause of death really is.

EDIT:
Basically Ratkin best Kin.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I just want to say that Loomer, you are as a lantern in the darkness of... well, an old World of Darkness. I have never been able to like anything from the old WoD as opposed to the Chronicles but I'm always happy to see your posts in the thread.
Cheers!

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Basic Chunnel posted:

our current game is all cousins of the Simmons family: Sofie, Sasha, Skye, and Sonny (plus his daugher Savannah).

A guy named Keith is there too

Please note that the only one with actual confirmed werewolf parents/family is Keith.

Basically Luna just does whatever and trying to find some sort of pattern or logic to it is a fool's errand.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Nothing that anyone has said or described about oWerewolf looks enjoyable to actually play through in the slightest, but that's been my take on basically the entirety of oWoD. These all just feel like (lovely) books you read, not actually games you'd play.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

There was definitely an element of people buying the books to read and keep up with the setting and not really gaming with them, but most of the unplayability is just 90's design.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

ProfessorCirno posted:

Nothing that anyone has said or described about oWerewolf looks enjoyable to actually play through in the slightest, but that's been my take on basically the entirety of oWoD. These all just feel like (lovely) books you read, not actually games you'd play.

The basic premise is pretty gameable, right? Furious lycanthrope guerrila warfare against Captain Planet villains, hella rad evil spirits, and the cosmic forces of entropy itself! Cue the metal riff!

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Kurieg posted:

Not really anymore. It's true that NuWolf had no hand in the first parts of V20, since that was produced before Paradox bought the White Wolf imprint, NuWolf has made changes on several current 20th anniversary releases to bring them more in line with their ideas for the 5th edition lines.
To my knowledge they at least either came in too late to touch the core books of the 20th Anniversary lines or didn't ask for many changes... except for Wraith, which has now gone back and forth between OPP and NuWW because they wanted some tweaks applied, especially to the Orpheus chapter. :(

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Warthur posted:

To my knowledge they at least either came in too late to touch the core books of the 20th Anniversary lines or didn't ask for many changes... except for Wraith, which has now gone back and forth between OPP and NuWW because they wanted some tweaks applied, especially to the Orpheus chapter. :(

oh god no

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
CAN we get a class action lawsuit going? Because we paid for a OPP product, not a NuWW one?

Warthur
May 2, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

CAN we get a class action lawsuit going? Because we paid for a OPP product, not a NuWW one?

I partly blame OPP for this, mind. They really should have given Rich Dansky a bit more support rather than leaving him to write the entire tome by himself and also juggling an increased day job workload he hadn't expected to deal with at the time of the Kickstarter. If the book had been finished faster, it would have received the CCP oversight treatment ("It's written in words on a page? Eh, good enough...") and be safe from NuWW's meddling.

RichT on one of the recent Monday Meeting Notes made some vague noises about how maybe OPP's allowed developers to work unsupported by their ownsome a bit too much and they're working on changing that, which is good. (Being less reliant on "game designer as auteur" as a cornerstone of the PR would also be helpful - Wraith20 was always promoted as effectively being RICH DANSKY'S Wraith, Mage20 was very much presented as PHIL BRUCATO'S Mage and so on, with the involvement of those designers being a major selling point on the Kickstarters in question. That's fine in theory, but if the designer in question suddenly becomes unable to focus their efforts on the project that leads you to what's happened with Wraith. Plus the less a game line is intimately associated with one particular individual, the less damaged it gets when you get a BHM situation.)

Warthur fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Feb 7, 2018

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

MonsieurChoc posted:

Despite how it can look, especially with projects like the OPP ones, donating to a kickstarter is not the same as purchasing a product. You're donating to something you believe in, not entering a binding financial contract. There's potential for repercussions in cases of outright scams, but it's kind of critical to the whole crowdfunding concept that backers can't just demand their money back or fling around lawsuits when the product doesn't turn out quite how they envisioned it, or even when the project outright tanks.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I wasn’t being serious, just... gently caress NuWW.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Terrorforge posted:

Despite how it can look, especially with projects like the OPP ones, donating to a kickstarter is not the same as purchasing a product. You're donating to something you believe in, not entering a binding financial contract. There's potential for repercussions in cases of outright scams, but it's kind of critical to the whole crowdfunding concept that backers can't just demand their money back or fling around lawsuits when the product doesn't turn out quite how they envisioned it, or even when the project outright tanks.
Actually, legally speaking backing a Kickstarter is a classic example of entering a contract between backers and the project owner. It's defined as such in the Kickstarter TOS and you have all the significant ingredients of a contract: an offer (the promised rewards), acceptance of that offer (backing the project) and a consideration (payment from backers).

That said, given that it was always going to be the case that the project would be subject to an approvals process from the licensors, I don't think the change in the identity in the licensors would be considered enough to be a breach of the original contract. But if someone fails to deliver on a Kickstarter that'd be breach of contract.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

ZearothK posted:

You just described Daily Cthtonicle, it just lacks the free to play elements.

I'm catching up on the thread but I had to respond to this: as a reporter and huge dork, this is extremely my poo poo and I can't wait to play it tonight. Thanks!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Warthur posted:

Seldom have I experience the dizzying heights and lowest of lows so quickly. "Oh, man! An Orpheus chapter! Overseen by NuWW..." I think I have some feelings to eat.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

On the one hand, if Wraith20 proceeds from the premise that the Underworld was NOT sandblasted to nothingness by a nuke, and thus is a setting to play in, it makes sense they'd want to hold pretty tight on the setting predicated upon "ok this is after that."

On the other hand, this is nuWW so it's entirely possible they'll say that black people only have like, 3/5 of a ghost or something.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

On the one hand, if Wraith20 proceeds from the premise that the Underworld was NOT sandblasted to nothingness by a nuke, and thus is a setting to play in, it makes sense they'd want to hold pretty tight on the setting predicated upon "ok this is after that."

On the other hand, this is nuWW so it's entirely possible they'll say that black people only have like, 3/5 of a ghost or something.

World of Acceptable Amounts of Darkness

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I think the best case scenario is that something like 'Orpheus is NOT CANON and your games DON'T count, but go ahead and have a good time!'

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

go ahead and have a good time!'

How dare they.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Dawgstar posted:

but go ahead and have a good time!'

That doesn't sound like nuWW at all

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

cptn_dr posted:

That doesn't sound like nuWW at all

Good catch.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Separate But Equal Underworlds.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Loomer posted:

The basic premise is pretty gameable, right? Furious lycanthrope guerrila warfare against Captain Planet villains, hella rad evil spirits, and the cosmic forces of entropy itself! Cue the metal riff!

They seem more like weirdos in fur suits bombing abortion clinics now?

I’m terrified at what sort of behavior the gameline is going to now inspire IRL.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Which sourcebook had the actual rules for Pangeans?

e: looks like it was Dark Eras

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Feb 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
Dark Eras IIRC