Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Shampy posted:

It's kind of nutty how people who have no idea how any of this poo poo works are coming out of the woodwork making GBS threads on anything that even resembles a cryptocurrency. I have no stake in this except $40 in change left over but I at the very least can acknowledge how helpful it is to those of us who live in areas without access to medical marijuana and carfentanil.

oh god i forgot about all the people unfortunate enough to not have a carfentanil supplier on their block, maybe bitcoin is the future....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Friend touched the poop

The old 'this is good for bitcoin' defence, lol.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Why the heck do these people hate the US central bank so much? Those bastards, overseeing this safe, stable, predictable, globally dominant currency! Can't wait to get rid of them! :argh:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
There are also four bills going through the Wyoming State Legislature this legislative session to expand cryptocurrency's availability in Wyoming - including one that allows for the placement of state records (business licenses, property deeds, etc.) to be stored on the blockchain, instead of in file cabinets that live in the Secretary of State's office. That's the entire point of the blockchain! The price is something we all certainly watch, but cryptocurrency is more than a "get rich quick" vehicle, and that's why cryptocurrency is here to stay

Yes, the entire point of the blockchain. Which is related to bitcoin as a currency/store of value because

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

paternity suitor posted:

I’m 100% sure a lot of people have thought this, and I’m 100% sure a non zero number of people have been killed because of it lol

Does anyone have access to recent anonymyzed search queries for research/academia? I want to know how many people searched for both "buy btc" and "how to sell drugs"

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

lazorexplosion posted:

Why the heck do these people hate the US central bank so much? Those bastards, overseeing this safe, stable, predictable, globally dominant currency! Can't wait to get rid of them! :argh:

It's because they hate the economy (for good reasons), but have to blame it on a central authority or government figure (for bad ideologic reasons).

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Finally, government can be truly fixed. By putting PDFs in a Git repo

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Yes, surely a blockchain is the most efficient, nay only way to put government files on the internet.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
A pamphlet being distributed in Brazil streets and public transport:

"Invest your money
100% profit in 12 months guaranteed"

loving lol

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Just double checking to make sure I understand Tether.

BTC goes down. Bitfinex/tether "prints" a bunch of $$ out of their asses, then buys a bunch of BTC to drive the price back up. But there is no real $$ behind the purchases. So they are just gaining more and more BTC without actually paying for it.

For the people who are selling, where are they getting the $$ from?

I feel like I might be missing something. But maybe not because the whole thing is so stupid that this very well may be exactly what is happening.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Elias_Maluco posted:

A pamphlet being distributed in Brazil streets and public transport:

"Invest your money
100% profit in 12 months guaranteed"

loving lol

"guaranteed by contract", no less.

I'd like to think that my south-american fellows will be a bit more resistant to this type of scam by virtue of living in a region where even the government itself will scam you on a regular basis if you let them, but eh I've seen too many Herbalife idiots.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Waltzing Along posted:

Just double checking to make sure I understand Tether.

BTC goes down. Bitfinex/tether "prints" a bunch of $$ out of their asses, then buys a bunch of BTC to drive the price back up. But there is no real $$ behind the purchases. So they are just gaining more and more BTC without actually paying for it.

For the people who are selling, where are they getting the $$ from?

I feel like I might be missing something. But maybe not because the whole thing is so stupid that this very well may be exactly what is happening.

A Ponzi scheme in the flesh is always great to watch from the sidelines. The crash will be delicious, but I hope nobody kills himself over it, because there will be a pretty big fallout once they get shut down/get out while the getting is good.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Decius posted:

A Ponzi scheme in the flesh is always great to watch from the sidelines. The crash will be delicious, but I hope nobody kills himself over it, because there will be a pretty big fallout once they get shut down/get out while the getting is good.

stop hoping, dozens, if not hundreds of people will very definitely kill themselves over this (and other bitcoin scams/losses)

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
maybe there should be a blockchain for suicide prevention

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Mozi posted:

maybe there should be a blockchain for suicide prevention

KevorkiKoin™

whenever somebody on the blockchain dies all their coins get distributed to other participants, whoever holds out to the end gets all the money!

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Mirthless posted:

KevorkiKoin™

whenever somebody on the blockchain dies all their coins get distributed to other participants, whoever holds out to the end gets all the money!

Tontinecoin

Wassbix
May 24, 2006
Thanks guy!
lmfao at Euro Tethers

someone brooding in the office then suddenly I GOT IT

WE PRINT IT IN A DIFFERENT CURRENCY

TO DA MOON

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Fallows posted:

oh god i forgot about all the people unfortunate enough to not have a carfentanil supplier on their block, maybe bitcoin is the future....

lmfao

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
yeah man my elephant is gettin real rowdy and i need to calm him down before he breaks into my banana warehouse again

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

Lets just tell Jeff Sessions this was a fake currency used to buy drugs on the interwebs. He'll be all over banning the piss out of it before you can blink.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Bitfinexed died got suspended so that we may live.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Can someone help me understand how tethers play into this whole mess? If these tethers are buying up chunks of bitcoin does that mean others are selling their bitcoins for the tether currency? Why would people do this instead of converting to USD?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

InternetJunky posted:

Can someone help me understand how tethers play into this whole mess? If these tethers are buying up chunks of bitcoin does that mean others are selling their bitcoins for the tether currency? Why would people do this instead of converting to USD?

It's faster and they can use the tether to buy other crytocurrency

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

InternetJunky posted:

or since bitfinex and tether are owned by the same company, fake tether owned accounts can buy from suckers that accept tether or from fake bitfinex owned accounts which drives the price to the moon

then bitfinex can use money coming in from suckers to pay people if they have to or they can just not process withdrawals

hence ponzu

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

So when a tether buys bitcoins, is there an actual conversion performed between tether -> fiat currency -> bitcoin, or is it really just "trust us guys, we'll trade you these 10000 tether coins that we totally have backed by real money for your bitcoins"? I guess I just don't understand why anyone would trust these tether currencies.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

InternetJunky posted:

So when a tether buys bitcoins, is there an actual conversion performed between tether -> fiat currency -> bitcoin, or is it really just "trust us guys, we'll trade you these 10000 tether coins that we totally have backed by real money for your bitcoins"? I guess I just don't understand why anyone would trust these tether currencies.
:bitcoin:

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

InternetJunky posted:

There is no conversion because it's all done internally by the exchange that is printing tethers.

Cryptocurrency trading is only even possible because the exchanges don't actually deal with actual bitcoin transactions until you are either depositing or withdrawing the Bitcoins from an outside source. An actual Tether -> USD -> Bitcoin transaction would cost money and take hours or more.

So using tethers on bitfinex is all just instant changes on their internal books and since they make the tethers out of nowhere it's just swapping amounts of USDT with equal market values of Bitcoins. They decide how big the number of USDT they have is. Only when someone tries to withdraw from the exchange in either bitcoins or USD are there actual transactions they have to shuffle real assets for. The scam stays afloat as long as there aren't too many people cashing out and testing the guarantee.

Basically when it goes up it's going to be way worse than Mt.Gox due to the amount of the people in the market and the amount of people that believe that it's value is guaranteed. You wouldn't believe how many people I see using Tether as a "Safe Harbor" from price fluctuations so they can stay close to cryptos. The overall lost amount of money might not be as high as Mt.Gox but more people are going to be affected. Instead of a true believer losing thousands of bitcoins they've been hoarding you'll have 1000 John Mainstreets lose their life savings.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Feb 7, 2018

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer
They printed more than 2 billion Tethers though, this must be more than people put into mount Cocks.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Teather:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAKOWcs8w54

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

amotea posted:

They printed more than 2 billion Tethers though, this must be more than people put into mount Cocks.

I was thinking that the amount of money people lose directly on having tethers become worthless wouldn't be more than the $500,000,000 MtGox theft because the vast majority of tether activity is bitfinex buying bitcoins from themselves with them. I know a ton of people see Tether as a guaranteed safe harbor that is immune from crypto instability I just didn't think it would be more than $500m worth of people.

However, I wasn't figuring in the overall money lost when the entire market crumbles with it, which could easily be more than that.

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer

VictorianQueerLit posted:

I was thinking that the amount of money people lose directly on having tethers become worthless wouldn't be more than the $500,000,000 MtGox theft because the vast majority of tether activity is bitfinex buying bitcoins from themselves with them. I know a ton of people see Tether as a guaranteed safe harbor that is immune from crypto instability I just didn't think it would be more than $500m worth of people.

However, I wasn't figuring in the overall money lost when the entire market crumbles with it, which could easily be more than that.

Good point.

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

VictorianQueerLit posted:

There is no conversion because it's all done internally by the exchange that is printing tethers.

Cryptocurrency trading is only even possible because the exchanges don't actually deal with actual bitcoin transactions until you are either depositing or withdrawing the Bitcoins from an outside source. An actual Tether -> USD -> Bitcoin transaction would cost money and take hours or more.

So using tethers on bitfinex is all just instant changes on their internal books and since they make the tethers out of nowhere it's just swapping amounts of USDT with equal market values of Bitcoins. They decide how big the number of USDT they have is. Only when someone tries to withdraw from the exchange in either bitcoins or USD are there actual transactions they have to shuffle real assets for. The scam stays afloat as long as there aren't too many people cashing out and testing the guarantee.

Basically when it goes up it's going to be way worse than Mt.Gox due to the amount of the people in the market and the amount of people that believe that it's value is guaranteed. You wouldn't believe how many people I see using Tether as a "Safe Harbor" from price fluctuations so they can stay close to cryptos. The overall lost amount of money might not be as high as Mt.Gox but more people are going to be affected. Instead of a true believer losing thousands of bitcoins they've been hoarding you'll have 1000 John Mainstreets lose their life savings.

I’m thinking the Tether scam is set up like this:

1) Print tethers
2) Trade Tether for BTC to suckers
3) Sell BTC for fiat on other exchanges or through private placement to investors, money launderers, drug lords, etc
4) Skip town with all the money

Those Tether people are for sure going to just up and leave if they haven’t already.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

ilmucche posted:

There are also four bills going through the Wyoming State Legislature this legislative session to expand cryptocurrency's availability in Wyoming - including one that allows for the placement of state records (business licenses, property deeds, etc.) to be stored on the blockchain, instead of in file cabinets that live in the Secretary of State's office. That's the entire point of the blockchain! The price is something we all certainly watch, but cryptocurrency is more than a "get rich quick" vehicle, and that's why cryptocurrency is here to stay

Yes, the entire point of the blockchain. Which is related to bitcoin as a currency/store of value because

Bitcoiners sure makes it sound like intra-institutional document forgery is a more common problem that it seems.

It's as if they think every day, a dozen people go to the State office and find out that their house belongs to someone else because without ~blockchain~ no one guarded the integrity of the deeds.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Pawn 17 posted:

1) Print tethers
3) Sell BTC for fiat on other exchanges or through private placement to investors, money launderers, drug lords, etc

Those Tether people are for sure going to just up and leave if they haven’t already.

Wasn't Tether also taking direct Cash -> Bitcoin purchases? I suspect they are taking USD that way and planning to skip town.

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean

You jest, but all this needs is a white paper.

Dead Like Rev posted:

Lets just tell Jeff Sessions this was a fake currency used to buy drugs on the interwebs. He'll be all over banning the piss out of it before you can blink.

He already knows, google Operation Bayonet. There's no move to ban bitcoin because of the trail that transactions leave behind in the blockchain, which can be obfuscated by methods like tumbling, but not eradicated. It's not worth law enforcement's time to use something as high-effort as blockchain analysis on small buys and small buyers, especially since almost all small buyers on the darknet have no info at all about the identity of the person is they're buying from so there's nothing to be gained from them. But the big players like market management and vendors? They'll spend the time there, and the nature of the blockchain makes it worth it for them. That's another reason why there's a growing interest among markets and vendors in monero.

Jikes fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 7, 2018

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Pawn 17 posted:

1) Print tethers
It seems so ridiculously obvious, which is why I thought I didn't understand something about the process.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

InternetJunky posted:

It seems so ridiculously obvious, which is why I thought I didn't understand something about the process.

True believers want it to not be a scam so it's not a scam to them. No matter how obvious of a scam it is.

Just like me, being a rational person, responded to the news that there is a new flavor of tether in a different currency was that it was probably in response to the legal challenges they are facing in the United States and could be an attempt by them to profit while they can in a fresh market before it too can develop regulations and bust them.

However the people that want it to not be a scam have spent all morning talking about how it's actually good for bitcoins because (insert whatever insane opinion you can dream of)

I've heard anything from this making more europeans interested which is good because they have lower rates of acceptance of crypto than the rest of the developed world so therefore a huge market boost is incoming due to new buyers

to

This is actually a sign of extreme strength of tether because they wouldn't be dealing in Euros if they weren't confident enough to grow their business. Growth in the business of tethers means growth in cryptos and proof of the security and strength of Tethers since they are secure and strong enough to allow this move.

or my personal favorite

Bitfinex having EuroTethers means that it's a safety for the USDTethers. If they have issues with liquidity and cashing out the USDTethers then they now can use the Euros they guarantee they possess for EuroTethers to support USDTethers. And the USDTether's popularity will only boost and provide security for the EuroTether!

Wassbix
May 24, 2006
Thanks guy!

Pawn 17 posted:

1) Print tethers

It's either that or they do have inventory of USD/Euro from sources that they are laundering money for, is the only explanation that make any semblance of sense to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
I started a coin named SA-Tether and if you paypal me :10bux: or give me bitcoin i will give you a hash that shows that you own SA-Tether on my website.
I will totally buy those back for real money soon, just not right now. But they are totally backed by real money. You see, I got investors because nothing gets investors faster than making a business that makes a dollar from one dollar. Low risk, steady income.