Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Sir Lemming posted:

Disruptors can't melt steel beams

I suspect this is actually true.

I mean, I think the steel sublimates?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

You could replace any exterior ship battle footage with silent movie intertitles saying SHIPS ARE FIGHTING and it would all be the same to me. I'm here for the characters.

I mean you say that but: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1PDYBYbVxc&t=21s

I realize the irony in linking a video explicitly cutting out the characters as a rebuttal.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Could be worse, according to stuff about the making of First Contact, the producers wanted to destroy the Defiant. The DS9 writers had to step in and insist "No, we're still using it and you can't blow up our ship to make yours look better by comparison."

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Kibayasu posted:

I mean you say that but: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1PDYBYbVxc&t=21s

I realize the irony in linking a video explicitly cutting out the characters as a rebuttal.

I don't care what anyone says, I think those sequences hold up pretty well.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Deleted shot from ST09.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

AI-powered neural network intelligent upscale for DS9.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
MAGNIFY

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Is that an early hover musk

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Senor Tron posted:

Deleted shot from ST09.

Heavy

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

:perfect:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Another variation I saw on reddit:

https://i.imgur.com/bmTeeSZ.gifv

edit because size

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Feb 7, 2018

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

TOS is often much darker than I remember. Day of The Dove features alien influenced Chekov trying to rape a Klingon woman, Christ.

Almost as bad as the time Scotty got possessed by the ghost of Jack the Ripper and eviscerated all those women (ok fine I know it turned out to be the other guy, but man please don’t feature gruesome real life serial killings Star Trek).

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

https://i.imgur.com/bmTeeSZ.mp4

Please embed the four megabyte .mp4 like so instead of the one hundred and forty meg gif, danke.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Feb 7, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

marktheando posted:

TOS is often much darker than I remember. Day of The Dove features alien influenced Chekov trying to rape a Klingon woman, Christ.

Almost as bad as the time Scotty got possessed by the ghost of Jack the Ripper and eviscerated all those women (ok fine I know it turned out to be the other guy, but man please don’t feature gruesome real life serial killings Star Trek).

The courtroom scene in that episode is more batshit insane than anything in the Phoenix Wright series

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

MikeJF posted:

https://i.imgur.com/bmTeeSZ.mp4

Please embed the four megabyte .mp4 like so instead of the one hundred and forty meg gif, danke.

oh dang, didn’t realise it was that big. Apologies, etc. I’ve edited to just a link of the gifv

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

The_Doctor posted:

https://i.imgur.com/bmTeeSZ.gifv

edit because size

I remember SFdebris pointing out that Voyagers sensors were nearsighted because they could see the rust particles but not the half ton rusty pickup truck.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Cythereal posted:

Could be worse, according to stuff about the making of First Contact, the producers wanted to destroy the Defiant. The DS9 writers had to step in and insist "No, we're still using it and you can't blow up our ship to make yours look better by comparison."

I mean isn't that a bit ironic considering both what happened to the Odyssey? Also, the Defiant comes across as my ship pew pews better than yours in most of the series.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
The Odyssey would have gone farther if they had just collected more power moons

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I think the more important bit was that DS9 was still ongoing and I don't think the DS9 writers wanted to deal with their ship being blown up in a movie and being forced to either ignore it or work it into their show.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It was weird enough that Worf went on a crazy adventure and the rest of the defiant crew just..... *mumbles*

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I’d imagine Tarantino is going to be off the next Trek movie. :aatrek:

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
I don't even know whats going on with that anymore. Paramount is currently having a firesale to push all their current projects out the door ever since they got a new CEO and all their bug budget movies underperforming. That's why they sold off that lovely Cloverfield movie to Netflix instead of a normal theater release.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

I’d imagine Tarantino is going to be off the next Trek movie. :aatrek:

Very suddenly it actually matters what people say on Stern, I guess.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Cythereal posted:

I think the more important bit was that DS9 was still ongoing and I don't think the DS9 writers wanted to deal with their ship being blown up in a movie and being forced to either ignore it or work it into their show.
Nah they just wanted to blow up the Defiant on their own terms

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Posting so I can click the question mark and find the TOS list

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

jfc don't give Brannon Braga ideas

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Eaglemoss is producing models of both the Andy Probert Enterprise-C concept and the original Matt Jefferies Phase II 1701 concept

I really dig both those designs, though it pains me to give that company any more money.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

People have both of those in hand already. The Probert Ent-C model looks really nice, but yeah Eaglemoss are a terrible company. The Shenzhou from the Discovery ships line has started dropping, but it’s ridiculously priced (£35!)

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

The_Doctor posted:

People have both of those in hand already. The Probert Ent-C model looks really nice, but yeah Eaglemoss are a terrible company. The Shenzhou from the Discovery ships line has started dropping, but it’s ridiculously priced (£35!)

What's the problem with them? I haven't had any issues. I got a couple of ships that were damaged in shipping and they replaced right away including one of the special ships. All that was wrong was it was missing the plastic fork thingy.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Now those are some pretty ships

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Mister Kingdom posted:

What's the problem with them? I haven't had any issues. I got a couple of ships that were damaged in shipping and they replaced right away including one of the special ships. All that was wrong was it was missing the plastic fork thingy.

I had several issues while I was subscribed to their monthly deliveries. Whenever a particular model was out of stock they’d either send me a literal IOU paper or simply skip that release for me entirely and give me something else. This would have been fine if they had eventually shipped the correct model, but they never did. It’s a bit annoying to be expecting an Enterprise and get a Malon trash ship instead, particularly since the subscription service is the only way to reliably get several habitually out of stock models. Their customer service was incredibly hard to get a hold of, and several times I literally played voicemail tag with them just to get a single broken model replaced.

Oh and one month they sent me three Ferengi Marauders in one shipment and then claimed I had actually gotten what I was supposed to get and refused to replace them or refund me for the month.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Oh and one month they sent me three Ferengi Marauders in one shipment and then claimed I had actually gotten what I was supposed to get and refused to replace them or refund me for the month.
:capitalism:

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Saw this in the Trump thread and thought it was cute:

https://twitter.com/realGulDukat/status/961090377074790400

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

I'm watching the episode of DS9 where the security code gets tripped. Garak told Kira to blow up a console so they went from having 12 hours to 2.

Thanks Garak

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

PenguinKnight posted:

I'm watching the episode of DS9 where the security code gets tripped. Garak told Kira to blow up a console so they went from having 12 hours to 2.

Thanks Garak
The best part of that episode is when Dukat shows up and the prerecorded message from his ex-superior informs him that he is now trapped on the station because they always knew he couldn’t be trusted.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

#makeAmericagoagain

(I'm sorry.)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Zurui posted:

#makeAmericagoagain

(I'm sorry.)

Never apologize for greatness.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Zurui posted:

#makeAmericagoagain

(I'm sorry.)

"What is wrong with your democracy?"

"It is broken."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
I watched "These are the Voyages..." today.

I deeply regret it.

Also, this means i watched all episodes of Star Trek ever released up to this point!

I deeply regret it.