Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
Were you all aware that the Damocles Gulf is no longer on fire? I await the triumphant return of the triptide with baited breath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Entropy238 posted:

e: If the pound sterling takes a tumble, for example, you could probably make some savings from buying from the UK shop.

“If”

Lol have you seen what is happening in this country?

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
So, I thought Guilliman couldn't take his armor off, but it seems in Dark Imperium there is a scene where is fitted with the Armor of Fate, which is kept in some sort of arming chamber.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Bombogenesis posted:

Were you all aware that the Damocles Gulf is no longer on fire? I await the triumphant return of the triptide with baited breath.

Say what you will about the Tau but I actually like stories involving them. They provide an outsiders perspective on the universe that is kind of novel and interesting.

Personally I'm waiting to see if they start running into the Sautekh Dynasty or get involved in the Death Guard-Ultramarine Hellwar. Both of which are right next to them.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Uroboros posted:

Looks like the image didn't display.

Here is what I am working with.

This is seriously cool. Did you say you printed this? Where did you get the files?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Uroboros posted:

So, I thought Guilliman couldn't take his armor off, but it seems in Dark Imperium there is a scene where is fitted with the Armor of Fate, which is kept in some sort of arming chamber.

Yeah, it's been a hundred years its done all the fixing it needs to do.

I do love how every small thing about his life just sucks in that book though, like his neck scars always catching on his armour seal no matter how many times he has them change the fit.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

This is seriously cool. Did you say you printed this? Where did you get the files?

My teammates printed it. I could ask them where they got the files.

Artum posted:

Yeah, it's been a hundred years its done all the fixing it needs to do.

I do love how every small thing about his life just sucks in that book though, like his neck scars always catching on his armour seal no matter how many times he has them change the fit.

Yeah, the action parts are pretty terrible. As people have mentioned they almost seem like they were written separately with a word quota on the new model line. That being said, the other parts do a great job of fleshing out the current setting, and proving that Guilliman is the best Primarch, and actually an interesting dude.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Uroboros posted:

Yeah, the action parts are pretty terrible. As people have mentioned they almost seem like they were written separately with a word quota on the new model line. That being said, the other parts do a great job of fleshing out the current setting, and proving that Guilliman is the best Primarch, and actually an interesting dude.

I thought the battle in the first couple of chapters was loving sweet but then that'd probably be because it wasn't pushing anything.

Heres a challenge for the thread, name 40k characters with hobbies, Guilliman setting up and running the historitors in his spare time did a surprising amount to humanise him despite being a demigod.

Artum fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 7, 2018

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Artum posted:

Heres a challenge for the thread, name 40k characters with a hobbies, Guilliman setting up and running the historitors in his spare time did a surprising amount to humanise him despite being a demigod.

Perturabo built Warhammer models and played wargames with them in Angel Exterminatus.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

SRM posted:

Perturabo built Warhammer models and played wargames with them in Angel Exterminatus.
Perturabo is a goon.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Groetgaffel posted:

Perturabo is a goon.
You need to look no further than all of the goon Iron Warrior armies to confirm this.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
I hear Konrad Curze had a vast skin rug and lamp collection

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Curze had an etsy shop selling festive skull chimes.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Uroboros posted:

Yeah I really liked everything but the combat in that book. I liked how Guilliman had tasked the Ultramarines with being statesmen, and I liked how Calgar chafed at that, and the jealousy/insecurity he felt over being "demoted" and the new Primaris marines. I don't know if I'd call Guilliman the "best primarch" or "not just a fuckboy in blue and gold armor" but it definitely helped.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Fabius Bile certainly has a hobby

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I think the Dark Eldar characters have a hobby as well. Several really.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Artum posted:

Heres a challenge for the thread, name 40k characters with hobbies, Guilliman setting up and running the historitors in his spare time did a surprising amount to humanise him despite being a demigod.

Fulgrim enjoys sculpting, despite being awful at it.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Groetgaffel posted:

Perturabo is a goon.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah I really liked everything but the combat in that book. I liked how Guilliman had tasked the Ultramarines with being statesmen, and I liked how Calgar chafed at that, and the jealousy/insecurity he felt over being "demoted" and the new Primaris marines. I don't know if I'd call Guilliman the "best primarch" or "not just a fuckboy in blue and gold armor" but it definitely helped.

Best as in he is a good guy that cares about people, but also gets poo poo done, makes mistakes, but is man enough to own up to him. Clearly not the best fighter since Fulgrim made pretty short work of him, and I will amend what I said, the opening scene where he dies was pretty drat good.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
Kind of an open ended question about people's painting and list building preferences: Do you paint first, and build armies around what you've painted, or make your list first and paint towards it?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Artum posted:

I thought the battle in the first couple of chapters was loving sweet but then that'd probably be because it wasn't pushing anything.

Trayzn collects curiosities

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Every Ork Mekboy lives around (and sometimes inside) their hobbies.

Giant Isopod posted:

Kind of an open ended question about people's painting and list building preferences: Do you paint first, and build armies around what you've painted, or make your list first and paint towards it?

I paint towards a list. I'm far, far too slow of a painter and I like to have an army that's at least somewhat competitive by the time I'm done.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Giant Isopod posted:

I will inevitably paint models from a new army that I think are the coolest, and build lists afterwards. After establishing a small core I'll then build lists and paint towards that. So a little of both. I don't get into a new army with a specific list and strategy in mind, though.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Honestly all the primarchs are pretty interesting and fleshed out (the traitor ones moreso), I guess having a line of books around them helps with that.

The only unsympathetic guy is Angron, for obvious reasons, though the Emperor ending his slave rebellion in the worst way didnt help (The Emperor Did Everything Wrong).

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Giant Isopod posted:

I used to just always buy what I wanted (based on looks, rules, stupid ideas, whatever) and figure out ways to get it into a list or few. That's still my main approach.

I changed it somewhat for my 30k army. I started with two Calth sets to form a good base and then decided to pursue a specific Rite of War/build. I play Dark Angels so I chose their unique Ironwing rite. I came up with a couple of lists to build towards and started buying tanks. I'm still missing a few rhinos and I need to finish building my veterans, but I'm pretty much there. I have, however, bought poo poo that either can't be taken in Ironwing or make the list difficult to assemble like a leviathan and a couple of castellax. Along with some units specifically for Zone Mortalis games. I am still firmly in the "buy what looks cool" camp.

I also have various 30k thread competitions and toxxes to keep my purchasing erratic. :shepspends:

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Lorgar's hobby is sitting quietly for thousands of years.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Groetgaffel posted:

Perturabo is a goon.

Pretty much hits the nail on the head.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Neurolimal posted:

Honestly all the primarchs are pretty interesting and fleshed out (the traitor ones moreso), I guess having a line of books around them helps with that.

The only unsympathetic guy is Angron, for obvious reasons, though the Emperor ending his slave rebellion in the worst way didnt help (The Emperor Did Everything Wrong).

Angron's motivation is sympathetic but his actions are not. Dude probably has the best reason of anyone to want the Emperor dead.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Giant Isopod posted:

I paint what I think looks cool, discover that a good portion of that isn't terribly effective, then buy and paint things that will be more usable.

Neurolimal posted:

There's some sympathy for Angron, his speech in Betrayer is loving good and outlines why he feels the way he does. No sympathy for Fuckboy "I guess I'll pick up this cursed sword from space hell" Fulgrim though.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
New Regimental standard: Know your Inquisitors
https://regimental-standard.com/2018/02/07/know-your-inquisitors/

"The bureaucracy of the Imperium is like a well-oiled machine – and, like any machine, it is incomprehensible to ordinary humans, deserves constant reverence and attention, and is a thing to be deeply feared by the likes of you."

Also someone post the Angron quote where he's raging at Guilliman I think? "What do you know about anger" etc.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Giant Isopod posted:

I get what I like as units, play games and figure out what I'm missing tactically, then try and fill those holes with other things that I like or failing that see what conversion work I can do to make a unit more palatable, planning on converting bipedal cataphrons from goliaths for example because the tankbutts look dumb to me.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I mean the reason he's insane is sympathetic (slave family executed, permanent iron sticks wiggling in his brain, ignored by emperor as a lost cause) but none if it really justifies his actions (murdering everyone, mandating torture sticks in the rest of his legion) in the way the other traitors get.

Perturabo loathed being a general and was envious that the Fists got to build gorgeous reinforced cities, focused all his envy into making his legion as coldly effective as possible, for example. He's a daemon prince now so IDK if he's still this way but he never really worshipped chaos so much as immersing himself in his work to avoid dwelling on his mistakes. Said work incidentally making more mistakes.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Syncopated posted:

Also someone post the Angron quote where he's raging at Guilliman I think? "What do you know about anger" etc.

Angron posted:

"What would you know of struggle, Perfect Son? When have you fought against the mutilation of your mind? When have you had to do anything more than tally compliances and polish your armour?" [...] "The people of your world named you Great One. The people of mine called me Slave. Which one of us landed on a paradise of civilization to be raised by a foster father, Roboute? Which one of us was given armies to lead after training in the halls of the Macraggian high-riders? Which one of us inherited a strong, cultured kingdom? And which one of us had to rise up against a kingdom with nothing but a horde of starving slaves? Which one of us was a child enslaved on a world of monsters, with his brain cut up by carving knives? Listen to your blue-clad wretches yelling of courage and honour, courage and honour, courage and honour. Do you even know the meaning of those words? Courage is fighting the kingdom which enslaves you, no matter that their armies outnumber yours by ten-thousand to one. You know nothing of courage. Honour is resisting a tyrant when all others suckle and grow fat on the hypocrisy he feeds them. You know nothing of honour."

Always liked guillimans retort later on:

Guilliman posted:

"You’re still a slave, Angron. Enslaved by your past, blind to the future. Too hateful to learn. Too spiteful to prosper."

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

I DID A BIG CACA IN MY DRUG STORE DIAPER
What are everyone’s thoughts on mixing color schemes?

My girlfriend picked up a box of Orks because she wants to try SW:A - so I picked up a box of Skitarii, to do the same.

I painted my test Alpha with nice navy robes, and decided I was going to split my kill team into three parts. One part would be the alpha with an omnispex, hanging back and calling targets for the second part, my mobile fire team - dudes with galvanic rifles. The third part would be duders armed with plasma and cancer carbines to run out and grab objectives.

I’ve been thinking about keeping the armor/metal consistent across all three, but using different colored robes for the fire and objective teams. Does it piss you off when people have a lot of variety in their kill teams/armies?

Does it help if the colors are complimentary? Or if there’s a uniformity to some aspect of the paint job? [i.e. all metallic surfaces/weapons/gear all being done the same]

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

If you can make it look good, go for it. Non-uniform colours usually annoy people because it suggests a dude using a grab-bag of stuff rather than building an army, but if you start with that as a base point and do stuff to tie it together (like you suggested, the metallics or maybe a secondary colour) then that can work. Bretonnians used to be that way and I've seen a couple of Space Marine Crusades where it was done well too.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Tony Grippando did nothing wrong.

Basically the article compares 40K to the NFL and other professional sports and argues that playing with intent, using rules outside the bounds of the tournament, and giving people passes for sloppy play is bad for the game. The article also emphasizes the importance of speaking out loud about your actions so that your opponent (and apparently the audience) knows what you're doing.

My favorite bit: "The most important rule, ‘everybody have fun,’ can’t always coexist with a competitive setting."

If that's the attitude then gently caress competitive settings.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Geoff Zahn posted:

Thanks! Couple more questions before I pull the trigger on a purchase: Do the washers add a lot of weight to the models, like would I eventually feel like I'm carrying an all pewter army? Also, how strong is the magnetic attraction - If I were carrying my cases in a car and I had to brake suddenly, would some of the pieces slide around?

I was looking at just putting magnets on the bottom of the models as they would weigh less and then I could customize how much pull force is needed per model, but I will defer to experience with magnetizing models. I figure with magnets on the bases all it takes is one wrong bump on the table to turn a squad into a magnetized battle pile, assuming the magnets are strong enough anyways.

The added weight is enough to apply some heft and does a good job of stabilizing the base. I would say it's close to a pewter model depending on how big is, but not more than. The magnetic attraction is fairly strong but is susceptible to two issues. First the surface is extremely smooth and models can slide around if there's too much force (not terribly likely). Second the magnets don't hold on well when subjected to a shock like a bag being tipped over. I made a storage case that held the models in vertical tiers, and when the whole thing fell backwards they broke free and tumbled back. Using a low, wide case that has no risk of tipping over will mitigate that.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
That's some blog no one has heard of who doesn't even have the wherewithal to put his name on it. Ignore it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MasterSlowPoke posted:

That's some blog no one has heard of who doesn't even have the wherewithal to put his name on it. Ignore it.

Yes but it's fun to bitch about things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
In practice that's all pretty true; any soccer hooligans ITT can recall when just about every player faked injury/getting tripped at the slightest contact to fish for a penalty.

In the long-term that's good for the game, because it puts a huge spotlight on problems with the game, which in turn can then be patched up so that new players dont accidentally do it/fall prey to it. In the short term gently caress those guys.

E: the true goatfuckers are the people who resist and fight against getting those flaws fixed.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 7, 2018