Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Park Güell by Cacator, on Flickr

Figueres by Cacator, on Flickr

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Young by Michael Garbutt, on Flickr

elgarbo fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jan 30, 2018

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Shane by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Jade Dragon by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Mandarin Palace by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

Megabound posted:

Had an excellent day trip to Toowoomba. The sunflower fields are amazing, get there in the morning tho, they all face the rising sun.

Hey, my town! Beautiful shots, especially the Tabletop Mountain (edit: derp, that's not tabletop, that's that other flat topped mountain I can never remember the name of) shot coming up the range. If you shoot through here often and need any camera gear, feel free to send me a PM. I work at the only specialty camera store here and will hook you up ;).

Finally have a camera again after 5 years, and finally have half an idea of what I'm doing. These shots were from an escarpment just north of the range. I'm quite happy with the results. I definitely need a CPL filter, clouds can be such a bitch.

SwissDonkey fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 31, 2018

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

And now for some real art...

Goulburn by Michael Garbutt, on Flickr

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

taqueria mestiza

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat

I'm digging the lines and minimalism with this.

Two more from my Belmont Harbor (Chicago) excursion:

Bridge Over Icy Belmont Harbor by Kris Nicholson, on Flickr

Ice, Light, Shadow by Kris Nicholson, on Flickr

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001
I'm so lazy, I've only been shooting with my phone for the past while. I'd apologize for the noise, but ehhh.... forget it, Jake, it's phone photography.

Smekerman fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Feb 2, 2018

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Greenwich

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
This shot got a few hits about a week ago, and I thought it must be from the "Bench" flickr group. Nope, hadn't added it there, so I did. And, it's popularity soared. People are weird.

300mm at f2,8 by B. B., on Flickr

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

torgeaux posted:

This shot got a few hits about a week ago, and I thought it must be from the "Bench" flickr group. Nope, hadn't added it there, so I did. And, it's popularity soared. People are weird.

My most popular shot, with 4.6k views, is titled "Hooker Valley". I paid for flickr pro for a month to check out the stats page that shows where views are coming from. Turns out most of the views are from google image searches for "Hooker" :ughh:

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Wafflecopper posted:

My most popular shot, with 4.6k views, is titled "Hooker Valley". I paid for flickr pro for a month to check out the stats page that shows where views are coming from. Turns out most of the views are from google image searches for "Hooker" :ughh:

This one has most of its views from people searching for bestiality, thus I've kept the picture around for that reason:

Reverse Cowboy by Cacator, on Flickr

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Mitcheldean

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Milford Sound by Michael Garbutt, on Flickr

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Holyshit!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Nice. I'm jealous that you could see anything. When I went recently I couldn't see poo poo :(

I also got caught in a hailstorm so wasn't exactly predisposed to try and salvage anything

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Feb 5, 2018

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Wafflecopper posted:

Nice. I'm jealous that you could see anything. When I went recently I couldn't see poo poo :(

I also got caught in a hailstorm so wasn't exactly predisposed to try and salvage anything

Conditions there were constantly changing. We cruised overnight so we had more opportunities, but I'd say half the time we were out there it was pissing down with rain.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
God drat

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

elgarbo posted:

Conditions there were constantly changing. We cruised overnight so we had more opportunities, but I'd say half the time we were out there it was pissing down with rain.

Beautiful photo of a beautiful place.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Wow, that's Skull Island alright.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

elgarbo posted:

Yeah one day when I have the disposable income to burn (lol) I'm gonna have to cruise the Sound, I think that's the best way to see it. I hiked there and it was an amazing track, but it's a bit disappointing to walk four days and not be able to see anything at the end. Even if visibility had been good I'd have still only seen a small part of the sound.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Young by Michael Garbutt, on Flickr

crap nerd
May 24, 2008

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat

Wow, this is dope.

----------

This unremitting snow storm that has descended on Chicago has had one upside: making for cool land cityscapes.

L Tracks in the Snow by Kris Nicholson, on Flickr

Pilsen and Foggy Chicago by Kris Nicholson, on Flickr

Snowy Pilsen by Kris Nicholson, on Flickr

Edit: Tangentially related, but as someone who just moved to a very cold place from a place that is almost never cold, what kinds of precautions should I be taking about using cameras in sub freezing temps? It has been regularly between 0F and 30F here in Chicago, and so far I’ve been lucky hauling around my Fuji x100 and the Canon T5i I’ve been borrowing, but I know they are technically not supposed to handle less than 32F. Thoughts?

Keret fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 7, 2018

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009

Keret posted:

Edit: Tangentially related, but as someone who just moved to a very cold place from a place that is almost never cold, what kinds of precautions should I be taking about using cameras in sub freezing temps? It has been regularly between 0F and 30F here in Chicago, and so far I’ve been lucky hauling around my Fuji x100 and the Canon T5i I’ve been borrowing, but I know they are technically not supposed to handle less than 32F. Thoughts?

as a long time minnesota shooter, always remember to carry extra batteries (they don't last long depending on how cold it is) and put your cameras and lenses inside ziplock bags before going back into warm air, as this will prevent condensation from protentially wrecking your stuff. also some sort of non-wet lens wipe is important as your lens can sometimes fog up and keep you from getting a good shot. ALSO make a system for where you put your lens cap in your jacket/bag cause you can lose that poo poo quick - i always put mine in my left pocket as a result of a couple of extremely irritating losses. otherwise chicago isn't too cold, so if you do that stuff don't worry too much about it

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Yeah I mean I've been shooting in Chicago winters for a decade. I never even thought about the ziplock thing, and never had a problem with my lenses and body. Spare batteries are a huge must though.

And yo, this winter aint nothing. I recently moved to northwest Indiana and we're getting hosed with lake effect snow hard, 2 feet on the ground around Christmas. And nothing's compared yet to my memory of the 2011 blizzard that shut lake shore drive down.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/weather/chi-110201-monster-snowstorm-2011-pictures-photogallery.html

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 8, 2018

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Chicago winters aren't harsh enough to need any precautions other than keeping rain/snow off your gear. As stated the biggest risk is keeping juice in your batteries but unless you're camping out all night a full charge on a single will probably be enough.

I guess the only "precaution" I take is not let my bag sit out in the car all day, but that's just general advice unless you really love having gear stolen.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.

This is cool. Looks like a glitch.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I shoot -30 and below a lot and the only thing I do is leave a window open in my car so the gear isn't going from -40 to +20 instantly. The bag trick is ok but it's a hassle and only works for smaller lenses. Worst case - leave the gear in a camera bag and let the whole thing warm up to room temperature at the same time.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
GREY2644
by Jim, on Flickr

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Untitled by Tom Olson, on Flickr

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

this is rad