Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
As someone who lives in North Carolina, I would never accuse this state of having great quality control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Ammanas posted:

My friends new Dell XPS has pointer issues. The pointer will randomly move slowly across the screen on its own, usually down/to the left and won't respond to clicking. The trackpad will respond to input after a few seconds but won't allow clicking.

This thing is brand new and it's wildly disconcerting to be experiencing something as basic as flawed input functionality. Any ideas? Different input driver maybe?

Prob just a bad trackpad. My xps came with an on-site warranty where they send someone to you. Check that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I love that China has better QA than North Carolina now.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
TBF the faulty part was probably made in china

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

CommieGIR posted:

I love that China has better QA than North Carolina now.

And an equally representative ruling legislature!

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Apollodorus posted:

And an equally representative ruling legislature!

that's a little unfair to china

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Anyone have their eyes on the t480? After reading constantly about the issues with the xps line, I'm considering one of those with the wqhd screen if I can get it for like 1.2k (after corporate discount). I know I'd be fine with dual core right now, but it seems like quad core is a big enough jump up to warrant an increase in budget. Or maybe not!

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I think the T480s might be good with GPU and they actually increased battery capacity over the outgoing model unlike the XPS 13 (fuckin retards) but I'm afraid by the time you spec it out properly you're pushing up in to XPS15 territory which has a significantly better GPU to begin with.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

My X270 arrived. It's certainly a lot slimmer than my X230 and seems super slick in operation. It doesn't have a backlit keyboard as was stated on the ebay ad... it was pretty cheap though and as a bit of a project to 1080p-ify it maybe it's worth keeping.

It came with Windows 10 installed (not Win 7) and none of the Thinkpad software so I am going to explore it a bit and see if it's worth keeping. Bit of a pain about that keyboard though.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
I thought backlit keyboard was standard? Does it not work or is there just nothing on fn spacebar?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Seamonster posted:

I think the T480s might be good with GPU and they actually increased battery capacity over the outgoing model unlike the XPS 13 (fuckin retards) but I'm afraid by the time you spec it out properly you're pushing up in to XPS15 territory which has a significantly better GPU to begin with.

I don't plan on gaming, so the gpu doesn't have me worried. Doesn't the xps 15 suffer from the same issues as the 13 (coil whine, qc lottery)?

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Yeah, same issues.

Reputable seller/warranty is your friend there.

I believe costco is going to have the maxed out (1TB, 32G, 4K) starting tomorrow at $1800? Considering how much a terabyte of PCI-E ssd and 32G of ddr4 is out the in the wild, its not a bad deal.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

AverySpecialfriend posted:

I thought backlit keyboard was standard? Does it not work or is there just nothing on fn spacebar?

Fn-spacebar does nothing

Also the fan seems to be on quite a lot. I like the monastic silence of the X230.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Whats the generic lenovo recommendation for a refurb nowadays? ~400 range i think? I'm looking at the t440. Not going to be used for anything special

Only concern would be battery at that point I guess?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Statutory Ape posted:

Whats the generic lenovo recommendation for a refurb nowadays? ~400 range i think? I'm looking at the t440. Not going to be used for anything special

I would avoid the *40 series in general, every model in that range has a hosed up trackpad and no physical buttons for the trackpoint. they're very, very irritating to use. You can find a t450 or t450s for $400 easy.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Can you install the wqhd screen in any of the older t series?

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
I personally love ASUS and think that they make a superior product. The GL502v has held up very well and took me through college at ASU no problem. It is large enough to work as a desktop machine & play PC games on but also small enough to take out to a coffeeshop, library or mall to study on. I think that 15" is the magic laptop size that is the best combination of form & function. Also it looks kickin' rad

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Definitely skip the *40 series unless you're ready to swap in as a *50 series trackpad. The 50 series is going to have a healthier battery and also longer battery life.

Google Butt posted:

Anyone have their eyes on the t480? After reading constantly about the issues with the xps line, I'm considering one of those with the wqhd screen if I can get it for like 1.2k (after corporate discount). I know I'd be fine with dual core right now, but it seems like quad core is a big enough jump up to warrant an increase in budget. Or maybe not!

I'm on the fence about the T480 vs X280. Going to wait for reviews, specifically regarding the premium display options.

The link in the OP is probably similar to your corp discount.

Depending on your use case you may be able to discount the GPU portion as TB3 eGPUs are mainstream now.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Definitely skip the *40 series unless you're ready to swap in as a *50 series trackpad. The 50 series is going to have a healthier battery and also longer battery life.

I'm on the fence about the T480 vs X280. Going to wait for reviews, specifically regarding the premium display options.

The link in the OP is probably similar to your corp discount.

Depending on your use case you may be able to discount the GPU portion as TB3 eGPUs are mainstream now.

At this point, I've pretty much ruled out Dell. I just don't feel good about dropping that kind of money and having to go through a return lottery or warranty thing right off the bat.

I don't plan on gaming or doing anything that will really require a dGPU, so I'm hoping that the lowest spec t480 (with wqhd display) is within my price range.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Expect to pay about $700 out the door after discounts for a base T480, add $250-$300 for top end premium screen.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Expect to pay about $700 out the door after discounts for a base T480, add $250-$300 for top end premium screen.

That's pretty much right at the top end of my budget, hoping they start shipping soon.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I would avoid the *40 series in general, every model in that range has a hosed up trackpad and no physical buttons for the trackpoint. they're very, very irritating to use. You can find a t450 or t450s for $400 easy.

Thank you for that. Ebay p much the best place?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yep. Find a seller with a 99.2%+ approval rating, should not be hard

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Statutory Ape posted:

Check out the Dell 7450 if you want a nice 1080p 14" laptop

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
If I want to run Linux, should I avoid 3K screens?

(not full-time but I'd like to have the capability)

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
Do any of y'all use a laptop that's basically just a glorified word processor? Can you make any recommendations in the ~$200 range? Would a Chromebook suffice? I literally want to do nothing except type.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Quotin myself but yeah the XPS 15 discount at costco is live:

https://www.costco.com/Dell-XPS-15-Touchscreen-Laptop---Intel-Core-i7---4K-Ultra-HD---4GB-NVIDIA-Graphics.product.100336318.html

You can get the same refurbed from fleabay for $200 less but for a brand new item, three times more generous return terms and costco warranty extension...maybe...probably worth it?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I'm still loving my 15" Surface Book 2...but I'm kind of annoyed connecting an external monitor only uses the Intel Integrated graphics.

Here I sit with it connected to a 40" 4k display and it's barely driving 60 hertz. It's a $3k machine with a 6gig 1060. I bought the Surface dock and everything. The SB fans constantly run full blast, when just browsing the web (clamshell closed).

Don't get me wrong, this thing is incredible, but Microsoft really needs thunderbolt 3. I feel like they shoved USB C (3.1 spec) into the SB just to shut people up. Guess TB3 will come next year, huh?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i have a couple of 6 GB 1060s and they arent really the first card i think of when i think of 4k anything tbh

although, lol, I did plug my Helios 300 into my friends 4k TV and we played COD WW2 multiplayer splitscreen/online using 2 xbone controllers and it actually managed to run at 4k resolution with some setting fuckery

was mainly just to gently caress around with it though

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.

hotsauce posted:

I'm still loving my 15" Surface Book 2...but I'm kind of annoyed connecting an external monitor only uses the Intel Integrated graphics.

Here I sit with it connected to a 40" 4k display and it's barely driving 60 hertz. It's a $3k machine with a 6gig 1060. I bought the Surface dock and everything. The SB fans constantly run full blast, when just browsing the web (clamshell closed).

Don't get me wrong, this thing is incredible, but Microsoft really needs thunderbolt 3. I feel like they shoved USB C (3.1 spec) into the SB just to shut people up. Guess TB3 will come next year, huh?

I took mine back, but I did love it. If you are driving external monitors you need the surface dock or the surface usb->hdmi adapter. It's an active adapter that tells the motherboard to use the gpu instead of the onboard graphics (something to do with optimus). Anyway, that's what I read.

I ended up returning mine because I don't think they've really done a great job on figuring out the tablet part of it. They need some kind of professional OSD control like TabletPro built into Windows 10. I wanted to use mine as a creative device and it wasn't really at the place where I would use it over a desktop (but it was super close). Maybe next year.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

chernobyl kinsman posted:

Do any of y'all use a laptop that's basically just a glorified word processor? Can you make any recommendations in the ~$200 range? Would a Chromebook suffice? I literally want to do nothing except type.

I got a lenovo x220 from ebay for 30 dollars last summer before used prices suddenly spiked. It can do the job and so much more. Make sure your search includes "parts only" machines that might just have cosmetic / case damage or missing parts that you'd already want to customize anyway like hard drive and ram, and not much else wrong with them to speak of

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I got a lenovo x220 from ebay for 30 dollars last summer before used prices suddenly spiked. It can do the job and so much more.

Holy steal

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Yes, a Chromebook would suffice for that purpose (and more) at that price range, and I have specific recommendations in the 2nd post in that thread. There's a handful of cheap CBs on Woot at the moment, (the HP 13 at $300 is the best option, and I don't recommend the HP 14 there because of the CPU, but the others are probably just passable with the N30x0 CPUs,) and I often recommend something like the Acer R11 if you want something small & portable that's also a convertible and has Android App support. Otherwise, the Acer CB 14 is my "cheap & nice," medium-sized recommendation.

If you do take a look at some models and are interested in one, post the link in the aforementioned CB thread if you want us to take a look and point out any downsides (there are some models with insufficient RAM or lower-res displays that might not immediately be obvious.)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Why do we have a separate thread for Chromebooks

Yes Chromebook should be fine for that.

x220, x230, x250 arguably would have a better keyboard and more word processing software options. Battery life will be limited to less than 6 hours though

Chromebook has fewer software options, but will average 8-10 hours real world at about the same price point but lower quality keyboard and, on average, lower quality construction especially at the $200 price point.

But i have a $160 Chromebook and it's great

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
What was that cheap tablet that was posted here a while ago, and there was a laptop in the post too. Anyone remember?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

To be fair, I'm guessing new people see this laptop thread and post here, having no idea of the CB-specific thread. I'm OK with referring them over.

Tsyni posted:

What was that cheap tablet that was posted here a while ago, and there was a laptop in the post too. Anyone remember?

There's an Android tablet thread, and no, I don't think anybody remembers the specific post you're thinking of, but since there's very little in the way of Android tablet activity, the only real new, cheap ones we talk about are the Amazon Fire HDs.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Tsyni posted:

Yeah, I membe! Is it this one?

CommieGIR posted:

https://www.amazon.com/NuVision-Tou...ndows+10+tablet

I know you said on the bigger side, but consider the following:
Someone gave me a giftcared for Amazon, and I picked this up as a gamble to see if it would be any good. For $70 bucks, you get:

Quad Core Atom CPU (1.66 Ghz Turbo)
2GB LV-DDR3
8 Inch 1920x1200 HD IPS Touchscreen
32GB SSD with MicroSD Slot (supports 128GB-256gb SDXC)
Bluetooth
802.11n
Micro-HDMI and Micro USB(Both charging and USB Host)

I've been pretty impressed, its a GREAT mobile netbook, and comes with FULL Windows 10 Home, with Creators Update so you can have the Linux subsystem.
Pros:
Really REALLY tiny, 10 point touch screen, high resolution decent video playback
USB Rechargeable, so you can charge it with a Phone charger or a mobile battery pack.
Comes with a Micro-USB to USB adapter for the MicroUSB port
Screen is very crisp and bright

Cons:
Internal speakers are poor quality
Wifi Antenna has poor reception
Its not the fastest thing out there, but fast enough for 1080 HD video, light gaming, and minimal multitasking
Its super thin. Its so thin, you can bend it.

If you have some more cash to spend, these are REALLY awesome:
https://www.amazon.com/LANRUO-Pocke...-4&keywords=GPD

Quad Core Intel Atom (2.5 Ghz Turbo)
8GB LV-DDR3
128GB SSD
USB 3.0 Ports and USB-C Ports
7 Inch 1920 x 1200 touchscreen
Aluminum Body
Pocket Size

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Beat me to it again :)

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/263570-windows-10-build-17093-multi-gpu-controls-hdr-calibration-fewer-passwords

It looks like MS are supplanting Nvidia Optimus (and whatever AMD's version is) with a built-in Windows function. It seems like you have to individually whitelist things if you didn't purchase it from the Windows Store. My experience with Optimus hasn't been great, so I'm very interested in seeing how this goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah, I membe! Is it this one?

Thank you!