Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

LingcodKilla posted:

“Cannon fodder, a story of a pike square.”

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
All the Roman obelisks have little footnotes about how they were moved from Egypt during the 1st - 3rd centuries, and then rediscovered around the city during the 1500's.

How do you lose a 100+ foot long obelisk?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If I had to guess, they fell over, then a century of wind/garbage covered them up, then they were found by building crews.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://vimeo.com/253135841

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ghetto Prince posted:

All the Roman obelisks have little footnotes about how they were moved from Egypt during the 1st - 3rd centuries, and then rediscovered around the city during the 1500's.

Same way you lose a war against the Goths

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

You offend the Gods?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LingcodKilla posted:

You offend the Gods?

The wheels of justice turn slowly but still they turn, Constantine.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Zopotantor posted:

By an actual Egyptologist, who can read hieroglyphs and sometimes takes a timeout to go digging. This podcast doesn't gently caress around.

(And I assume that's a typo :raise:)

It's legitimately the best history podcast. The dude even went and rerecorded all his early episodes so you don't have to suffer through the normal growing pains.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Koramei posted:

It's legitimately the best history podcast. The dude even went and rerecorded all his early episodes so you don't have to suffer through the normal growing pains.

This is false in a world with inward empire and when diplomacy fails exists. It is a great podcast though

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

Koramei posted:

Just to be clear, this one? https://egyptianhistorypodcast.com/

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Ghetto Prince posted:

Let me tell you about a little thing called MH370.

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

Safety Biscuits posted:

Let me tell you about a little thing called MH370.

On one hand, a 100 foot long object lost somewhere in 2-3 square miles in a heavily populated area of land.
On the other, a 200-300 foot long object lost somewhere in thousands of square miles of sea in the middle of nowhere, and a mile or two underwater.

Let's just think about that for a moment.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Hemp Knight posted:

On one hand, a 100 foot long object lost somewhere in 2-3 square miles in a heavily populated area of land.
On the other, a 200-300 foot long object lost somewhere in thousands of square miles of sea in the middle of nowhere, and a mile or two underwater.

Let's just think about that for a moment.

Well MH370 had radar tracking and stuff

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Did they ever check the black boxes in those obelisks

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Grand Prize Winner posted:

What a curiously sinister phrase.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
their roommate pushed a couch cushion in front of them when the landlord came over and they just forgot afterwards

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Dazzle paint and "yeah that's trajan's other column"

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

There is a book called "Red Land, Black Land" by someone I don't remember that focuses on the daily life and beliefs of ancient egyptians. It was a really fun read.

One thing that stands out to me is how it argued against the idea that the egyptians were obsessed with death. It argues, rather, that they had a very good thing going, for the time. They lived well compared to their neighbours and they loved life, and that's why they were very meticulous about trying to ensure that life kept happening even after death. Accurate or not I love the sentiment.

It also hit on the sentiment you're expressing: New Kingdom egyptians that lived centuries before Rome was founded still looked back at stuff like the pyramids and marveled. They knew they were heirs to something amazing.

This is Barbara Mertz and her books are fantastic.

I always assume people think the Egyptians were obsessed with death because their burial practices are so well-known. So much funerary architecture and infrastructure survive.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Mad Hamish posted:

This is Barbara Mertz and her books are fantastic.

I always assume people think the Egyptians were obsessed with death because their burial practices are so well-known. So much funerary architecture and infrastructure survive.
i mean that was why hegel said it and as far as i know that's the earliest appearance of the idea (maybe?)

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

HEY GUNS posted:

their roommate pushed a couch cushion in front of them when the landlord came over and they just forgot afterwards

Darn it, you're making me think of a whole Three's Company" parody with Boethius, Cyprianus, and Albinus trying to disguise their obelisk as a couch because their landlord, Theo, has a "No obelisks" rule in the apartment, that ends with Theo sitting on it and complaining how hard their couch is. The recurring theme of the show would be them trying to hide the fact that they're Athanasians from a suspicious Theo, who only rents to Arians.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Why don't they just make the whole obelisk out of the black box stuff 🤔

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Well, that's just silly. You can't make an obelisk that's box-shaped.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
What if you make it from a box that's an obelisk-shaped box?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
So this is why those monkeys were confused and upset

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

skasion posted:

Crassus was also possibly eligible to dedicate spolia opima, according to Cassius Dio, but did not in the event do so. The case however that Crassus intended to and Caesar shot him down is overstated, often by the school of thought that understates Caesar’s military and political dominance and looks at the senate and individual senators as a persistent threat to him. There is no evidence that Crassus ever himself claimed the right to dedicate the spolia, there is no evidence that the senate ever discussed it, and if the idea even occurred to him, he may well have judged it impolitic to pursue.

Personally, I suspect it's because Crassus simply couldn't bear the idea of giving away some expensive kit.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Personally, I suspect it's because Crassus simply couldn't bear the idea of giving away some expensive kit.

This was not the famous tightwad but his grandson. Then again, Romans did believe traits like that ran in families.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Meme thread is at it again

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

http://www.pnas.org/content/110/6/2205

Pretty good genetic potato-related evidence Polynesians visited South America at least a few centuries pre-Columbus.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

the potato reveals all

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

What are some of the best primary/secondary sources on the Crisis of the Third Century out there?

I've been binging Duncans podcast for the last 2 months and the whole era is incredibly fascinating; hearing about the social and economic changes hitting Rome all within a single lifetime. How on-point is Duncans storytelling on this? It was my understanding that the 40-so years of the Crisis are the closest Rome gets to "lost history" outside the Kingdom era, but Duncan goes into some pretty wild detail.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Unfortunately it's sweet potato based history, not potato based history

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Grand Fromage posted:

Pretty good genetic potato-related evidence Polynesians visited South America at least a few centuries pre-Columbus.

In potato veritas.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

Unfortunately it's sweet potato based history, not potato based history

In batatas veritatus

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Grand Fromage posted:

There also appears to be the subtext that the Polynesians returned home with the sweet taters after visiting, e.g. this wasn't a one-way "just set up camp where you hit land" thing so much as a trade route.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
According to my biotech classes, sweet potatoes are the single most nutrient rich big crop if you are forced to rely on just one product. Smart polynesians.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

AriadneThread posted:

the potato reveals all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPsY_nhTtxg

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

This was what I expected it to be, thank you

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
To what extent did the Parthians, and then the Sassanids, see themselves as the heirs to the Achaemenid Empire?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The sassanids did for sure. I'm not sure about the Parthians because they weren't ethnically Persian but I'm not sure if that's stopped anyone before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

cheetah7071 posted:

The sassanids did for sure. I'm not sure about the Parthians because they weren't ethnically Persian but I'm not sure if that's stopped anyone before

From what I remember the Parthians considered themselves a different group that owned the Persians but adopted some of their ways. Sort of a Mongol situation.